Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Difference between physical damage, magic damage, weapon damage and spell damage

Ceoyang
Ceoyang
Soul Shriven
I started the game on Sunday, trying to roll a imperial nightblade. Im confused with the difference between physical damage, magic damage, weapon damage and spell damage. are physical damage and weapon damage the same? Plus 2 out of 3 of the nightblade class skills consumes magicka, but shouldn't rouge class run on stamina? Im torn in between adding magicka or stamina to the character. Also can i reset them at any point?
Thank you
  • Fexelea
    Fexelea
    ✭✭✭
    Hi :)
    I'm sure Cas will have a more in-depth answer but here is short version:

Damage types are often related to their damage resistance. So physical damage is checked against physical resistance and magic damage against magic resistance.
    So for example armor skills affect how much damage you will take from either one or the other
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Armor+Skills

And from what I understand yes, you can reset your attributes. SpartanJester made a video
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62838/how-to-reset-you-skills-attributes
    Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki. All Eso Sets
    or check out the Dark Souls Wiki. We also have a Sekiro Wiki Bloodborne Wiki, Elden Ring Wiki and Dark Souls 3 Wiki

• Castielle
    Castielle
    ✭✭✭
    Generally speaking Weapon Skills deal Physical Damage and Class Skills deal Magic Damage/Elemental Damage. The exception here would be Staves as they deal Magic Damage. Things that enhance Weapon Damage would also enhance Physical Damage and things that enhance Spell Damage would enhance Magic Damage/Elemental Damage.

You can reset your skill points as early as the 15-23 area zones I believe.

Cas
    Edited by Castielle on 1 April 2014 03:30
  • Ceoyang
    Ceoyang
    Soul Shriven
    If class skills deal magic damage then all the melee classes are screwed wouldn't that???
    That means all melee classes are going to have to add all 3 attributes in order to stay alive and deal good damage with class skills and weapon skills.
    That sounds terrible since the whole point for nightblade to exist to deal all physical damage and roll out
  • Bob
    Bob
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds terrible since the whole point for nightblade to exist to deal all physical damage and roll out

It is! No melee chars in TESO, only poor hybrids vs mages. :'(
  • Castielle
    Castielle
    ✭✭✭
    Ceoyang wrote: »
    If class skills deal magic damage then all the melee classes are screwed wouldn't that???
    That means all melee classes are going to have to add all 3 attributes in order to stay alive and deal good damage with class skills and weapon skills.
    I have seen many complain about just this. I am unsure why you can have a pure Magicka build, but not a pure Stamina build...maybe it will change in a future patch. *crosses fingers*

Cas
  • Ceoyang
    Ceoyang
    Soul Shriven
    That's just ridicules
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but shouldn't rouge class run on stamina?

Rouge is French for red. Stamina is the green bar.

Methinks you meant "rogue".

That's just ridicules

No, that's just ridiculous.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Pure stam build is possible if you take the weapon skills. You can support this build by taking utility spells that use magicka to cast.
    Physical dmg: blank weapon dmg + dmg done by stamina using skills
    Spell dmg All dmg done through magicka using abilities.

Weapon skill lines dmg is increased by weapon dmg.
    Magicka using abilities are increased by the amount of magicka

Pure mages actually are worse of than hybrids because they run out of recourses faster. Stam/magicka hybrid offers higher dps due to constantly being able to push out dmg.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Ceoyang
    Ceoyang
    Soul Shriven
    Pure mages actually are worse of than hybrids because they run out of recourses faster. Stam/magicka hybrid offers higher dps due to constantly being able to push out dmg.

If I add tons of magicka and stamina, I would have a lot of skills I can just spam on the enemy, but each individual skill will hit a lot lesser and takes way too much time to kill just one enemy. Plus there is only 50 levels, I can't really afford to add too many health attribute. So a pure magicka building can totally use pure magic damage to nuke me before i can kill him.

• Fahstolph
    Fahstolph
    ✭✭
    This is a really good video that explains ESO dmg mechanics. Whether or not you like the system is for you to decide, but this guy, Mystborn, really does a great job at explaining how the system works. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr_OIx7bp7g
    Edited by Fahstolph on 1 April 2014 14:50
    One does not simply get EXP in Cyrodiil.
    -Boromir of Gondor3
  • Ceoyang
    Ceoyang
    Soul Shriven
    Fahstolph, you are the man
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fahstolph wrote: »
    Mystborn, really does a great job at explaining how the system works.

MUST watch vids...all of them!
  • Fahstolph
    Fahstolph
    ✭✭
    kewl wrote: »
    Fahstolph wrote: »
    Mystborn, really does a great job at explaining how the system works.

MUST watch vids...all of them!

Agreed! I would say his series is a must watch if you want to understand a big chunk of the game mechanics. He is really easy to follow and understand. :)
    One does not simply get EXP in Cyrodiil.
    -Boromir of Gondor3
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    That's just ridicules
    I cannot resist. I apologize in advance.

Is Ridicules the brother of Hercules?
    Edited by silent88b14_ESO on 1 April 2014 16:20
    Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.