The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

AITA - Fighting some enemies and being ignored by others.

JARTHEGREY
JARTHEGREY
✭✭✭
Just need to vent a bit - seeing as I can't play due to maintenance.

Am I the only one that gets a bit frustrated when fighting enemies and yet there are other enemies nearby (sometimes very near) and they seem to just ignore the huge fight that is going on?

I know it's a software limitation, but as a general question - would you prefer it this way, or would you prefer to have ALL enemies in the area join the fight?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVE? You can pull enemies a short distance, so tag them with an AOE and they might come join the fight.

That gives the player control over how many enemies are in the fight at once, and its actually really important because some players/builds can handle being swarmed and some can't. Overland content is designed for everyone from brand new players to top tier vets.

For example, in certain dungeons there are places where a Tank can rush through large groups of mobs and tag them with AOEs to gather aggro, and then stack them all up in a chokepoint for the Damage Dealers to mow down efficiently

This is fantastic if the group can handle it.

If they can't handle the incoming damage or the massed kills, then it just becomes a mess of mobs spreading out and possible dead players, and it actually would've been more efficient for the tank to fight each mob pack separately.
  • JARTHEGREY
    JARTHEGREY
    ✭✭✭
    I think you miss my point.

I don't mean it from the combat aspects of the game - I meant it from a 'reality' perspective (and Yes, I know it's only a game) but if that was happening irl - all the enemies would attack without question.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JARTHEGREY wrote: »

I don't mean it from the combat aspects of the game - I meant it from a 'reality' perspective (and Yes, I know it's only a game) but if that was happening irl - all the enemies would attack without question.

It's not immersive, no.

But this is a game where I can swim in heavy armor, run my horse off of small cliffs without injury, and cook everything from cheese platters to fish pastries by stirring a single bowl and occasionally licking my finger.

Also, there are no children and people carry around their chamber pots for me to pickpocket.

Gameplay wise, I prefer to control how many enemies I face at one time.

Immersion wise, I mean, if it bothers you that enemies are standing around following tropes like Mook Chivalry, it bothers you. Sometimes I think about the inherent ridiculousness of video game conventions, but most of the time I just roll with them.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MookChivalry
    Edited by VaranisArano on 9 May 2023 15:57
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do find it rather unrealistic that I can get within shouting distance of an enemy and have them completely ignore me. But this being a MMO and not a single player game, I think realism must bend to practical considerations here. Server / engine limitations, worsening the already annoying stuck in combat issue, undesirable behavior that could occur from a player being able to drag too many enemies into one location in overland to troll players who are questing, etc.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's not immersive, no.

But this is a game where I can swim in heavy armor, run my horse off of small cliffs without injury, and cook everything from cheese platters to fish pastries by stirring a single bowl and occasionally licking my finger.

Also, there are no children and people carry around their chamber pots for me to pickpocket.

Immersion wise, I mean, if it bothers you that enemies are standing around following tropes like Mook Chivalry, it bothers you. Sometimes I think about the inherent ridiculousness of video game conventions, but most of the time I just roll with them.

Don't forget that plants, animals and people can somehow drop the most unlikely things when killed and looted, things that it would be physically impossible for them to contain! :)
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »

It's not immersive, no.

Don't forget that plants, animals and people can somehow drop the most unlikely things when killed and looted, things that it would be physically impossible for them to contain! :)

Yep. I love this comic:
    https://www.deviantart.com/isriana/art/TESO-Improbable-Loot-488715331
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭

...and cook everything from cheese platters to fish pastries by stirring a single bowl and occasionally licking my finger.

Brilliant