Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Why does everything come after me?!

hamletsbatb14_ESO
hamletsbatb14_ESO
✭✭✭
Seriously...

I'm in a group of three...it doesn't matter if I tag the mob first or not -- it runs past the other 2 and attacks me...every time. I'm doing normal bow shots, maybe a poison arrow...nothing out of the ordinary or massive in damage to draw aggro.

The funniest (and saddest) time this happened I was all the way across a field, just standing there checking inventory, when one of my group-mates pulls 2 cultists. She manages to keep one, but the other ran across the field to come beat up on me.

Anyone else this "attractive" to mobs?
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, in a long winded way you are saying you are attractive? :p
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• hamletsbatb14_ESO
    hamletsbatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am a khajiit...
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a twisted bit of coding. They love to go for the one in the dress or leather. The person in plate bashing their head in? Not so squishy; go after the easier targets first.

Doesn't help my khajiit has red eyes and obscures his face with a plate helm. All you get are those glowing red eyes...
  • hamletsbatb14_ESO
    hamletsbatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered if it wasn't the "you idiot...get the one in the dress" mentality. Though maybe it's because I'm smiling under my half helm and they think I'm taunting them...
  • Avorniel
    Avorniel
    ✭✭✭
    stop using the lynx effect :wink:
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the AI in this game is supposedly better than most MMOs (And from what I've seen it does look like it).
    Maybe it really is programmed in to take down the obvious ranged DPS first - that's what happens when you fight players. (Well, the intelligent ones anyway)
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Censorious wrote: »
    Maybe it really is programmed in to take down the obvious ranged DPS first -

They have said as much. So, unless you have someone actively tanking, you are most likely going to get beaten up if the NPCs consider you the greatest threat.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah....if I was more of a melee type, the first person I would go after is the guy in cloth. Maybe the npc's are just getting smart!
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's strange as it's actually the Heavy Armor which is supposed to work as an aggro magnet but probably there are additional mechanisms we are not aware of.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's karma. Khajiit has this one. Mops will always like big, beautiful cat the most...
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Zargorius wrote: »
    That's strange as it's actually the Heavy Armor which is supposed to work as an aggro magnet but probably there are additional mechanisms we are not aware of.

There are very few "aggro magnets" in this game. Heavy armor isn't one of them, heavy armor gives you bonuses in things like health regen, and mitigation. Not aggro.

Typically the mobs just go after whoever is doing the most damage at the time, or apparently juicy cloth wearers. There are maybe 3 skills in the game that help with aggro, one is single target in sword and board line, and the other that I know of is somewhere in the Undaunted line.
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xionar wrote: »
    Zargorius wrote: »

There are very few "aggro magnets" in this game. Heavy armor isn't one of them, heavy armor gives you bonuses in things like health regen, and mitigation. Not aggro.

Typically the mobs just go after whoever is doing the most damage at the time, or apparently juicy cloth wearers. There are maybe 3 skills in the game that help with aggro, one is single target in sword and board line, and the other that I know of is somewhere in the Undaunted line.

Strange, heard that HA thing around forums several time. Oh well, guess that was just another rumour.

Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I wanted to make a game with improved AI, the first thing I would do would be to stop people holding aggro and tanking mobs. That's basically using the stupidity of the AI to waste damage on pointless targets.

I'm hoping for this game to be more adaptable so we don't get the stale old repetition of tank/healer/dps just standing there burning down bosses with ludicrous high health pools. While said boss makes predictable, telegraphed attacks with equally ludicrous high-damage spikes.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well said Censorius. The AI is more plausible than in other games. After all, if a couple of people were attacking me and my fellow mobs I would expect some of my fellow mobs to take on the other guy as well as the meat shield. Mobs shouldn't be stupid enough to take on one player whilst leaving all the other players to heal or use ranged abilities.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I am a khajiit...

It's the fur, chicks dig the fur.

Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• eu_Ryu
    eu_Ryu
    ESO has enhanced AI copmared to other games, mobs aint stupid bro, no free kills from afar ^^
    Life is as simple as you make it -Ryu
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    The tanky types have skills more to grab a mob and keep them from moving - or to bring them back to them. And clothy types need to RUN.
  • khai
    khai
    ✭✭
    I guess the AI is smarter then... Because I'm a squishy healer and I seem to draw mobs like nobody else in my party. It's got nothing to do with my DMG, because I do negligible damage. Thankfully, my party can usually pull them off me... But, man, they sure love to charge at my face.
    Edited by khai on 1 April 2014 17:16
    You may say I'm a Dreamer but I'm not the only one.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you want to really draw aggro, be a healer. The A.I. knows what's up.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Fools! Kill the one in a dress!"