Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

sorcerer or nightblade?

melimoo22
melimoo22
stuck on which to choose any suggestions?
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really up to you.
    Think, which do you like best?
    What weapon are you looking to use?
    What sort of playstyle are you looking for?
    Do you want to be one of the cool sorcerer betty netches?
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • RedRum69
    RedRum69
    ✭✭
    It all depends on your preferred play style... for me would be a sorcerer with a bow focused on storm calling.. lots of burst ans single target damage.. works quite nicely.. the thing is you must remember you can mix and match different play style .. like Nightblade with sword + shield..
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Try both. See what you like best.
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • melimoo22
    melimoo22
    iv played sorcere alot but dies really easily dunno what build to use or anything. not tried nightblade much but just wondered what they are like
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    melimoo22 wrote: »
    stuck on which to choose any suggestions?
    This game is not like other RPGs...think of the classes as more of a template. Out of all the skills in the game, only a couple are limited to your class.

The Nightblade can still join the Mages Guild and use spells. The Sorcerer can still sneak and use swords and stuff. The classes only have a significant impact in the early game.

Of course, the Nightblade will never have access to Storm Calling (for example). But in general, you can make almost any type of character you want from any of the classes.
  • melimoo22
    melimoo22
    ok then thanks but would u be able to advise me on how to build sorcerer like which spells to use and what to put skill points in because i have no idea how to build it
  • mrow
    mrow
    This game is not like other RPGs...think of the classes as more of a template. Out of all the skills in the game, only a couple are limited to your class.

The Nightblade can still join the Mages Guild and use spells. The Sorcerer can still sneak and use swords and stuff. The classes only have a significant impact in the early game.

Of course, the Nightblade will never have access to Storm Calling (for example). But in general, you can make almost any type of character you want from any of the classes.

^This. The thing you have to remember when playing ESO, is that these are not your normal class archetypes.

As SS said, the only skills that will be exclusive when you choose a class are its Class Skills. EVERY other skill is shared across every class.

This allows for a near-infinite combination of playstyles, and allows you to truly do whatever you want.

For example: I *really* love hunter/ranger classes, so I was kinda disappointed when they didn't have a dedicated class for that. But, after doing some perusing of the skills, I found that I can make a sorc that specializes in a bow. Most of the class skills I am taking are in the Dark Magic tree, simply because there are so many CC abilities that it really compliments my playstyle. I take a one or two actual nukes from the class skills, and then dump the rest in medium armor, passives, and misc.

There's almost no limit to what you can do, try to use your imagination and you will honestly be surprised at some of the things you can pull off.
    May your road lead you to warm sands, and may the moonlight stay sweet on your tongue.

-Blood for the Pact-
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to say how to build a Sorcerer, it's your choice.

Just think about the abilities which you find most useful, and slot those on your bar.
    If things work, keep it, if they don't, look for something else.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    ok then thanks but would u be able to advise me on how to build sorcerer like which spells to use and what to put skill points in because i have no idea how to build it
    The Sorcerer has three spell skill lines. Look in your Skills section of your character screen. You can put points into any or all of them (or even none of them). The points only "open" the skill/spell so you can start using it. As you using it, your skill (level) with that spell will increase on it's own. Using it is what causes you to level up in the skill. You only need to spend a point on it to make it available.

Some spells cannot be unlocked with skill points till a certain level.

Only the Sorcerer's spell skills are unique to that class. Other skills (soul magic, Mage Guild Spells, ect) can be used by anyone.

I am playing my sorcerer as my main and have only unlocked Storm Calling so far at level 7. Even though I can use the others, I am choosing not to because of concept reasons. It's all up to you which ones you want to invest in.

Edited by SadisticSavior on 31 March 2014 22:03
  • melimoo22
    melimoo22
    ok then what weapon do you use? is a bow or staff better? havent you leveled any other spells up at all?? i just find i am dying alot atm so wondered if i could do anything to improve
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    ok then what weapon do you use? is a bow or staff better? havent you leveled any other spells up at all?? i just find i am dying alot atm so wondered if i could do anything to improve
    It's like asking if Chocolate or Strawberry tastes better. It isn't something anyone else can decide for you.

Think of the type of character you want to play, and then pick a class that will fit that. If you are wanting to play a "traditional" wizard, pick a Sorcerer and open up as many spell skills as you can, and only wear light armor. Join the mage's guild and do their quests.

My Character uses staves and light/medium armor and Call Lightning (which is up to level 7 I think, and is a useful nuke). I stuffed most of my attribute points into magika. I have joined the Mage's guild and will probably use some utility spells from there. He is only level 7 so there are not a lot of options yet, and I have started crafting so a good chunk of my time is spent there. I havn't unlocked the other spell skills yet because my character is a concept character and I don't like the way their effects look. One of my goals is vampirism, which I have decided to get despite the drawbacks because of the concept as well.

Even if you are Min/Maxing you will still need to decide what your priorities are before anyone can advise you on a build. Are you doing anything not combat related? If so, to what degree? You'll need to know that to get useful advice.

(If you are dying a lot, attack lower level stuff...it is worth it as long as you are getting XP for it)

Edited by SadisticSavior on 31 March 2014 22:15
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Staff weapons are useful for magic users because they allow magical attacks without consuming your magika. The Call Lightning spell I am using works very well as a nuke, but eats up my magika store like candy. So I augment my attacks back and forth with the staff weapon.
  • melimoo22
    melimoo22
    i havent done any crafting yet. do i need to and if so where do i start etc. also wats vampirism? i have been using a minion. the lightning spell and the 1 that traps them.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    i havent done any crafting yet. do i need to and if so where do i start etc.
    The game is extremely open. It is possible to play it without ever killing a single thing and only do crafting. It is also possible to level all the way to 50 via PvP without ever questing or crafting. And everything inbetween.

It's a sandbox game. It's not linear. You can play it however is the most fun for you. If you don't know whats the most fun, then just experiment with different stuff till you find something you like doing. There are PvPers who despise crafting and want nothing to do with it. And there are crafters who are bored to tears killing stuff and just want to craft. Most people fall somewhere inbetween. You have to decide for yourself what you like doing.
    also wats vampirism? i have been using a minion. the lightning spell and the 1 that traps them.
    In this game it is possible to be bitten by a vampire or werewolf and turn into one. I don't think the mechanics are in the game yet though.
  • melimoo22
    melimoo22
    Oooh didnt know thsg. Thanks for advixe anything ekse u cam add or is that everything
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    That's all I have for your current question. Not a lot of advice we can give without specifics on what you like or want to do.

If you don't know that yet, just experiment.
  • melimoo22
    melimoo22
    Ok is the storm calling best for burst dmg and dark magic is for cc
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok is the storm calling best for burst dmg and dark magic is for cc

Crystal fragments does a great amount of damage, probably the best single target DPS ability.
    If you choose the option for the 35% proc (which halves the magicka cost of crystal fragments) then it's a low cost spell for a massive amount of damage.

But, yeah, storm calling brings great damage, and dark magic has the best CC.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • mrow
    mrow
    Also, guys, esohead.com has a skill calculator that lets you plan your skills out ahead of time so you don't have to make important decisions on the fly.

This game has a great community, and I commend you for taking advantage of the forums, as it is a great resource. Just remember that there are plenty of fan-run websites that are FULL of useful information.

Enjoy Tamriel!
    May your road lead you to warm sands, and may the moonlight stay sweet on your tongue.

-Blood for the Pact-
  • Raeph
    Raeph
    ✭✭✭
    I have a level 7 almost 8 sorcerer. I've been using mostly storm calling, with the summoned creature as well. I found that I was a bit too squishy and was dying a bit, so I started using a restoration staff as my weapon and took a healing spell from that line (regeneration one). The spell will heal both you and your summoned creature, so it comes in handy. Additionally, there is a restoration passive that will heal you/your summon for a portion of the damage dealt on the final hit of a powerful staff attack. I've found that between those two things my survivability has gone up.
  • Dragonetti
    I think as others have pointed out, the beauty is that you can choose a playstyle that you enjoy and more often than not, it will work.
    “Never let your sense of morals stand in the way of doing what's right”
  • Laerrus
    Laerrus
    ✭✭✭
    Dragonetti wrote: »
    I think as others have pointed out, the beauty is that you can choose a playstyle that you enjoy and more often than not, it will work.

One of the things I loved from Morrowind up through Skyrim was being able to pull off a sneak attack in heavy armor. >:)
  • melimoo22
    melimoo22
    Resto staff works quite well as well as trapping them so they cant move and then nuking them tried earlier
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    My sorcerer is now level 10 (crafting and stuff) and I have one of each of the base sorcerer skills in my hotbar, poison arrow and soul trap (forgot the name of the skill). He is weilding an axe and shield, wearing 2 heavy, 3 medium and 2 light armor pieces.

He is all kinds of messed up, no?

But I don't have any problems in combat, until I take on a boss with 2 minions. Then I have to bust out my bow and they get dead.

I might be trying a nightblade, but will probably be a while.
  • melimoo22
    melimoo22
    Is a bow good wheb used wirh sorcerer as I have been using staff
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    I like the syphoning from nightblade.
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is a bow good wheb used wirh sorcerer as I have been using staff

Bow is very good.

I'll give you some specific advice that will help you dominate.

At low to mid levels try wearing mostly heavy armor with a piece of light and medium armor (to level up those armor skill lines as well).

Get mages fury morph it to endless fury.
    Get lightning form morph it to boundless storm.
    Get encase morph it to restraining prison.
    For an ultimate get storm atronach first.

Those are the important easily accessed sorcerer abilities when using a bow. Your goal is to get critical surge and dark conversion, but that will take a while.

On the bow get poison arrow, volley, and scatter shot.

Your early rotation will be stealth, fully charged bow to side or back for a big crit, poison arrow, endless fury, shoot bow, and encase when mobs get a bit closer. If the mobs are still alive, move back get some distance, then hit one with a heavy bow attack. It will be snared so you can kill it easily, then switch to the other mob.

You can boundless storm away if you get overwhelmed, or add it to your rotation for extra speed/armor for kiting.

Make sure to get a bow that is at your level or one below, and also fight enemies at your level or one below if possible. Make sure your armor is at your level and not severely damaged.

• melimoo22
    melimoo22
    ok thanks i am stuck whether to use a staff or bow thats all
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    ok thanks i am stuck whether to use a staff or bow thats all

Use bow and staff on and off until level 15 when you unlock the ability to switch weapons on the fly.
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • melimoo22
    melimoo22
    ok thanks shoukd i use 1 at certain points and in certain situations or?