The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "New Ragebound Crown Crates"

• HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    metheglyn wrote: »
    People love to toss around the word "predatory" when, to my mind, it's nothing more or less than any other marketing offer put out by any number of businesses. They're telling you that you can get a particular item if you buy another item.

For me, no cosmetic item in this game is worth what they're asking for this one, so I won't be buying it.

I understand that might not have been the best term, but specifically making a brand-new 25-size crate bundle just to tag it to the polymorph is uniquely aggressive marketing, especially with a community that is begging for more items to be earned in the game.

ZOS has now found a way to release an item via crown crates while simultaneously allowing it to circumvent the endeavor system. That may not be "predatory" but it's definitely sketchy.

Edit: and I''ll definitely agree to your last part haha!
    Edited by HappyTheCamper on 29 March 2023 16:32
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maythor wrote: »
    I think we probably all have to face that this is the reality of the game now and I doubt any amount of "feedback" is going to change things when the majority of posts we see here on the forums are from people saying they dislike and distrust this system of funding the game, and yet we see more and more examples of it each season. Feedback is blowing into the wind!

I agree. What part of players saying very loudly for years 'More in-game rewards, less focus on the crates' translates to adding another predatory layer of exclusivity to the crates? Especially when gifting is (allegedly) bugged? I don't have a sub anymore to cancel it, but since feedback is falling on deaf ears, then it's the only recourse.
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so the 1 thing most of the games population has been waiting for is locked behind a new expensive bundle, talk about a smack in the face LMAO
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People love to toss around the word "predatory" when, to my mind, it's nothing more or less than any other marketing offer put out by any number of businesses. They're telling you that you can get a particular item if you buy another item.

For me, no cosmetic item in this game is worth what they're asking for this one, so I won't be buying it.

How is it not predatory when they are making people pay probably upwards of >9k crowns for something that costs at the most 2k (since polies were sold for 1.2k-2k crowns)?
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »

How is it not predatory when they are making people pay probably upwards of >9k crowns for something that costs at the most 2k (since polies were sold for 1.2k-2k crowns)?

Nobody is making anybody pay anything. It is a choice.

I personally don't see anything wrong with offering a known and guaranteed incentive if you purchase something.

Sure, the price may not be liked. But I don't see anything "predatory" about it.

Plus, you don't even have to pay more than what the crates are worth. Then you technically get this for free.
    ->--Willow--<-
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all, just to follow up here. As noted in the article, "Note that the Shade polymorph is automatically unlocked and added to your collectibles when you acquire this one-off bundle (25 Ragebound Crate Bundle) and is not included in the crates themselves."

We are actively trying to get crown crate gifting back up, but our team is still working through some issues related to gifting. As for feedback around the Shade Polymorph being tied to the Ragebound Crate bundle, we will submit any and all feedback related to this to the team. We know this is new, so your feedback is appreciated here. Thanks all.

Question about the bolded part above. (and assuming gifting will be fixed)
    Since the polymorph is unlocked upon crate bundle purchase; in the case of gifting, who receives the polymorph?
    __The person who bought the 25 Ragebound Crate Bundle as a gift to someone else?
    or
    __The person who receives the gift?

Kevin's answer below at https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7838351/#Comment_7838351
    Thank you Kevin!
    Edited by Dojohoda on 29 March 2023 17:55
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »
    Hi all, just to follow up here. As noted in the article, "Note that the Shade polymorph is automatically unlocked and added to your collectibles when you acquire this one-off bundle (25 Ragebound Crate Bundle) and is not included in the crates themselves."

We are actively trying to get crown crate gifting back up, but our team is still working through some issues related to gifting. As for feedback around the Shade Polymorph being tied to the Ragebound Crate bundle, we will submit any and all feedback related to this to the team. We know this is new, so your feedback is appreciated here. Thanks all.

I mean, if the team is aware that crate gifting is "bugged", they absolutely should not be releasing a unique polymorph like this that is locked behind a $60-$75 purchase. Many of us longtime players make all of our crown crate purchases with ingame gold, because we have enormous amounts of it with nothing else to spend it on. It is absolutely predatory and deceptive to release this polymorph in this manner at this point in time.

It should be purchasable with gems either indefinitely or until gifting is fixed, or it shouldn't be released at all until gifting is fixed.

This could be evidence that this so called "bug" is nothing but backend coding they've been working in order to push this new crown crate predatory scheme.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »

Since the polymorph is unlocked upon crate bundle purchase; in the case of gifting, who receives the polymorph?
    __The person who bought the 25 Ragebound Crate Bundle as a gift to someone else?
    or

I have a feeling that this is going to be similar to a chapter purchase, where you CAN'T get it for in-game crowns. You have to purchase it separately.

Like the Newcomer Pack or the Hailcinder mount pack.

So there would be no gifting option for it. The person who buys it is the one who will keep it.

EDIT: Nevermind, see Kevin's response below.

~
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on 29 March 2023 17:51
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    or

The person being gifted the crates should receive the polymorph.

Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    This could be evidence that this so called "bug" is nothing but backend coding they've been working in order to push this new crown crate predatory scheme.

We're going to address this directly. We would not call something a bug if it wasn't. The amount of liability in that would be astronomical. When we call something a bug, it is exactly that. The team wants this gifting bug resolved as soon as possible and are working to ensure that. Again, we do understand the frustration with not being able to gift, especially when a new crate comes out. However, it's important that we clarify the quote here.

Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    or

The person being gifted the crates should receive the polymorph.

Ty. Praying for a timely fix then. Sitting on much gold.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Katheriah We are checking in with the team daily for status on this. So we are hoping to report good news on this front in the near future. As soon as we can get an ETA or a "hey it's fixed" from the team, we'll let everyone know.
    Staff Post
  • MetallicMonk
    MetallicMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting timing.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Livvy wrote: »

I personally don't see anything wrong with offering a known and guaranteed incentive if you purchase something.

Sure, the price may not be liked. But I don't see anything "predatory" about it.

Plus, you don't even have to pay more than what the crates are worth. Then you technically get this for free.

The thing that makes this predatory is that there’s been a lot of hype around the polymorph ever since we knew it was going to exist. It makes it seem like the polymorph is being hidden alongside a bunch of crates to bait people into buying crates and spend way more money than the polymorph is worth. It’s like you’ve been waiting excitedly for a new computer mouse but turns out the only way to buy it is alongside a computer you don’t want, for the price of the computer. This also generates strong FOMO because if it’s bundled with these crates specifically and this is a new bundle type, will the polymorph come back when the crates do?
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • VikkiVonTraxx
    VikkiVonTraxx
    ✭✭✭
    And what if i live in a country that ban crown crates? I couldn't have the poly? That's a shame. It should be available with seals of endeavor.
    Edited by VikkiVonTraxx on 29 March 2023 19:33
  • ThatGeminiBilly
    ThatGeminiBilly
    Soul Shriven
    Also, the crates contain all the mercymother cosmetics, besides the actual costume..? ahahahahahaha

My guess is that the costume will be a limited time crown store item
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    Livvy wrote: »

The thing that makes this predatory is that there’s been a lot of hype around the polymorph ever since we knew it was going to exist. It makes it seem like the polymorph is being hidden alongside a bunch of crates to bait people into buying crates and spend way more money than the polymorph is worth. It’s like you’ve been waiting excitedly for a new computer mouse but turns out the only way to buy it is alongside a computer you don’t want, for the price of the computer. This also generates strong FOMO because if it’s bundled with these crates specifically and this is a new bundle type, will the polymorph come back when the crates do?

This is a company offering an incentive/promotional item with the purchase of something. I just don't see what is so offensive about that. Just because it is something people really want? And can't get easily? That is the point. To incentivize people to purchase something it would have to be something people want.

The same with certain items only being available behind chapter paywalls or preorders. They do it to entice people to buy the things they are trying to sell. It is what companies in the business of making money, do.

In that vein, all sales tactics or desirable promotional products used to garner sales of something could be considered predatory then. This stuff is done all the time in sales. Not everything I want is obtainable the way I want it to be, and many things I want aren't even obtainable at all due to being locked behind paywalls of this or that.

Is it unfortunate? Sure. Is it disappointing? Absolutely. But predatory?

We will just have to agree to disagree on that. :)

I also don't even think this is that bad. We know exactly what we will get and how we will get it. No risk of spending money and never getting it. It is just a choice of if we want to do what it takes to get it or not.
    ->--Willow--<-
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "These crates are available in your typical one-, four-, and 15-crate bundles. However, for the first time, we’re also introducing a new 25-crate bundle as a one-time purchase that, in addition to the crates, ALSO includes the fearsome Shade polymorph."

"Note that the Shade polymorph is automatically unlocked and added to your collectibles when you acquire this one-off bundle and is not included in the crates themselves."

... Are you kidding me? Is this some foul-mannered April Fools joke? How does one reach the absolute bottom of the barrel of predatory gambling schemes to somehow end up one-upping themselves with an even more unethical scheme to incentivize gambling addictions? And here I thought Zo$ had already sold their soul, they are now selling others' as well.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i really hope there is an alternate way to get the shade polymorph, i could care less about the crown crates themselves but i really want the polymorph

it is kind of annoying that they would lock it behind the crates, and the likelyhood if you miss this it could not return for years (even as a direct purchaseable)

i do like the shade polymorph is sort of direct buy, but i dont like how its tied to this crate bundle
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Zorrin
    Zorrin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vvardvark was a superior tier item in the Psijic Crates as well... :confused:
    I'm sure this was probably an oversight, but I do wish we could have had some other old item instead of a repeated crate item. Something like... the Dapple Grey Palfrey that hasn't been available since May 2015 :wink:
  • BardokRedSnow
    BardokRedSnow
    ✭✭✭
    These crates are so much better than what we've seen lately.

Which is a shame because I will not be paying a single cent until the gifting feature for them returns. If Zos is doing this intentionally, and it's not a glitch, and I'm not saying it isn't... then I can assure you, you will lose money withholding this feature, not gain. Many of us here have already spent much cash on this game as is, and do not wish to spend more ourselves. Instead we spend our in game gold and encourage others, especially newcoming players to spend money on the game instead.

It is a win win. This should have been fixed weeks ago. You mean to tell me the same company that shuts down the crownstore when there's an issue and sometimes even the servers entirely for same day fixes can't fix this?

I am not claiming this is a certainty but I find it hard to believe this is a mere glitch. And Zos has no one but themselves to blame for that due to the lack of transparency and communication.
  • Marcusorion1
    Marcusorion1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fortuitous timing of a bug on a controversial change to marketing strategy. Feedback may be determined by any metrics they choose and filtered by multiple factors ( as usual ). The majority may well oppose the changes, a small number will spend real money on it and it is considered " successful " and will be repeated, with increasing costs coz..business.

The longer it takes to fix, the longer players' have to think about it and the real $$$ value to them. Take all the time you need :)
  • BardokRedSnow
    BardokRedSnow
    ✭✭✭
    I will be letting my eso plus run out as well until this is fixed.
  • RedRoomGaming
    RedRoomGaming
    ✭✭✭
    The one time deal getting the polymorph I get, but once you buy the 25 crates can you get them again? Like say I wanted to buy 100 crates for myself could I do that?
    PS4 Eu Server
    • Stampler - RedRoomGaming - V16
    • Mageblade - Beard Of Molag - v3
    • High Elf Sorc - Man Of Potato - V16
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one time deal getting the polymorph I get, but once you buy the 25 crates can you get them again? Like say I wanted to buy 100 crates for myself could I do that?

likely no, since the polymorph is directly added to collections, it doesnt all the sudden become a runebox that you can trade if you already had it
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't say that I'm surprised that ZOS selected this method to circumvent the endeavor system for this particular polymorph. It certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but it isn't that much different from bundling other cosmetics in stuff like CE DLC/Chapters.

Seeing as how $100+ houses continue to be released regularly I wouldn't be surprised if other cool cosmetic stuff like Personalities/Mounts/Costumes/Weapon Styles/etc suddenly start being available only in a 25 Crown Crate Bundle. Who knows, maybe they could even try a 50 Crown Crate Bundle if the Ragebound one sells well!!
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

likely no, since the polymorph is directly added to collections, it doesnt all the sudden become a runebox that you can trade if you already had it

I think they may mean could you purchase 4 25-crate bundles at the 25-crate bundle price, even though you only get the polymorph once. Depending on the price of the bundle, it could be a better deal than say buying 6 or 7 15-crate bundles in order to reach 100.

Sorry if this isn't what they meant. But I am curious about it now...
    ->--Willow--<-
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    So we are basically buying the Shade Polymorph directly with crowns, and it comes with 25 free crates as a bonus? ;)

This would be a much better way to market this, IMHO. Sadly, my guess is that 25 Crown Crates will be the most expensive non-housing thing in the Crown Store. Well above any reasonable price for a polymorph. If this idea is successful, the 25 Crown Crate packs will probably be bundled with something from now on simply due to the large price tag.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • RedRoomGaming
    RedRoomGaming
    ✭✭✭

I didn’t mean anything like that, what I meant was since the polymorph is a one time thing, are they 25 crates a one time purchase or can we buy more of them? Or once you’ve bought them you can only do the 15 unless gifting gets fixed
    PS4 Eu Server
    • Stampler - RedRoomGaming - V16
    • Mageblade - Beard Of Molag - v3
    • High Elf Sorc - Man Of Potato - V16
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t mean anything like that, what I meant was since the polymorph is a one time thing, are they 25 crates a one time purchase or can we buy more of them? Or once you’ve bought them you can only do the 15 unless gifting gets fixed

In the official article, it says "we’re also introducing a new 25-crate bundle as a one-time purchase ". So I'm assuming you can only buy the 25 pack once.
    ~
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on 29 March 2023 21:46