The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Racials

TheBaronXIII
TheBaronXIII
✭✭
Racials are fun, they had a little flavor to each of the various groups that populate Tamriel.

However, it's pretty obvious that racial that effect combat [snip] and encourage end game players who run vets and trials to pick certain races over others.

I think it is high time that racials that effect combat be removed from the game so that diversity at end game is promoted over a slew of Dunmer filling a raid. It would be nice if Nords could compete in the top for DPS as much as other races, etc.

I am sure I'll get all kinds of hate, but two tears. Would be better for facials to be fun, rather than effect combat, even IF it's "slight". Let us min-maxers have the freedom to play our preferred group, rather than encouraged to play another.

[snip]
[edited for minor bashing]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 19 March 2023 16:02
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It varies person to person on if race matters in the first place. Yeah, some races are behind with racial passives. But I think it only matters for scorepushing where every single bit of anything counts. My main dps and my main healer are Khajiit, my tank is a Dunmer, it’s completely fine. I’m never changing my races.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or idk keep them because they have been part of elder scrolls since forever? This isnt some random mmo. There is lore behind it. Example dark elves have fire resistance because their homeland is volcanic. Nords have frost resistance for similar reasons as well as defensive buffs matching their "hearty" nature. It is quite a lengthy list.

Beyond that it really only matters at the meta .1% level. Every single class as any race at all is fully capable of breaking 100k. It's purely about skill and rotation. When you break 120k and are trying to hit 125-130k then it matters. People get so wrapped up in issues that they perceive as having some massive impact of their damage. No your damage is based on your skill and build. My buddy hit 110k on his night blade high elf the other day with purple gear. By all rights he should have been playing a dark elf. He runs end game content with "elites". Example being they were one of the first groups to clear VKA when it first came out.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree that it's racist. Mostly because it's just a game... But also because in real life ethnicities have certain genetic characteristics that make them unique as well. It isn't racist, it's science. It's what happens when one gene pool is separated from another for a long period of time. Due to... Let's say environmental factors... They literally evolve away from eachother.

And also... And this last bit is mostly in jest but there may be some truth to it:

If people aren't picking the race they want based on merit then they are picking based on... Favoritism? Now THAT would be racist :)
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Objectively speaking it'll be nice to detach combat related passives from races so anyone could be any race they want without worrying about endgame. At the same time races should have some flavor to them as they have with previous TES titles
    This isnt an easy issue to adress for developers
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    I disagree that it's racist. Mostly because it's just a game... But also because in real life ethnicities have certain genetic characteristics that make them unique as well. It isn't racist, it's science. It's what happens when one gene pool is separated from another for a long period of time. Due to... Let's say environmental factors... They literally evolve away from eachother.

And also... And this last bit is mostly in jest but there may be some truth to it:

If people aren't picking the race they want based on merit then they are picking based on... Favoritism? Now THAT would be racist :)

I disagree with you a lot/most of the the time on here, but this post was on the money
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difference between Nord dps and Dunmer dps is around 4-5% for trial parse. On 3kk dummy difference will be null and void.

It mostly about rotation, class and gear (in that order).
  • Luth7
    Luth7
    ✭✭✭

Cause facials are kinda racist.

z5glajlp2lq0.jpeg
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree with you a lot/most of the the time on here, but this post was on the money

Well thanks Garion! I'm glad to have your agreement. This topic seemed a little iffy I was trying to choose my words carefully.
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip] Racials don't make a build, they add 3 to 5% to dps IF EVEN depending on the player. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 19 March 2023 15:56
    Push Posh Applesauce, Pocket Full of Marmalade.
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    race is a social construct that is based on a person's interpretation of certain phenotypes or geographic ethnicities. it is not correct to state that there is a genetic basis for race. this has been in scientific and popular literature for at least two decades. genome sequencing has rather conclusively revealed that we are all one race, with members of that race on a continuum of genetic variation. we have not separately evolved into different genetic races - that is not supported by the data.
    Edited by haelgaan on 18 March 2023 16:15
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beyond that it really only matters at the meta .1% level. Every single class as any race at all is fully capable of breaking 100k. It's purely about skill and rotation.

Not really just the 0.1% level, it also effects people who can barely hit 80k and wish to get a speed run, but are barely capable of it. Think of all the people getting into vet dungeons for the first time with oakensoul heavy attack builds

5% more dps is 5% less time needed to finish a dungeon, which is 1-1/2 minutes of a speed run achievement. Nobody would ever wait 1-1/2 minutes before crossing the finish line in a race, but that’s basically what it’s like to be playing a redguard heavy attack build.
  • TheBaronXIII
    TheBaronXIII
    ✭✭
    [snip] Racials don't make a build, they add 3 to 5% to dps IF EVEN depending on the player. [snip]

No.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 19 March 2023 15:57
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well thanks Garion! I'm glad to have your agreement. This topic seemed a little iffy I was trying to choose my words carefully.

Agreed...due to the nature of our society these days, this sort of topic can easily result in censoring, heated backlash, etc. A brave soul XD
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

Due to non-constructive commentary, we've decided to close this thread. Please see community rules here and thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.