The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Can Bewilderment be converted to gold now?

SeaGtGruff
SeaGtGruff
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Tonight while playing an NPC, they chose Rajhin, and there were a number of turns where I paid 3 gold to the Rajhin patron to add a Bewilderment card to their deck.

Then I noticed that there were several turns where the NPC paid 2 gold to convert a Bewilderment card to a writ of gold. After I saw it happen once, I started watching very carefully to verify, and sure enough it happened a few more times.

I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible. Was there a recent change to this in response to all of the complaints about players spamming Rajhin on each other? Or was it another example of how the NPCs' AI sometimes allows them to cheat?
I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its always been possible to convert those cards to gold.
    Soupy twist
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has? I never realized that. I guess the NPCs never use the Rajhin patron on me like that, so I've never had occasion to convert a Bewilderment card to a writ. But niw this makes me wonder why people complain about their opponents filling their decks with Bewilderment cards that they then cannot do anything about.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, if I only get a couple I somehow cant destroy i convert them but it can be hard to keep up if they are a spammer
    Soupy twist
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess my confusion about it stemmed from the fact that AFAIK I've never seen the NPCs do anything about the Bewilderment cards that I've added to their decks-- until now. Maybe this was part if the "smarter NPCs" change?
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most likely, i'm on console so dont have it yet. Do they use the rahjiin patron yet? Its always been silly they would choose it then never use it
    Soupy twist
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've yet to have one actually call on the Rajhin patron, but they do seem to be a little bit smarter about buying Rajhin cards from the Tavern.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The complaint with Rahjin spam is that, yes, you can convert it via the Treasury, but unless you have a card or pull a card that allows you to call on patrons twice, converting that card stops you from using any of the patrons when you might have wanted to. A spam of Bewilderment cards can essentially lock you down from doing that and, at times, you end up with a choice of having to keep those cards to turn a patron to stop the opponent from getting a patron victory, etc.

Plus, from my experience, you cannot convert the Bewilderment card until it's auto-played by your hand, so you are still down one card - possibly more if your shuffle was unfortunate and put two or more Bewilderment cards in your hand. And given the nature of the Rahjin deck and how some of its cards can be used to force an opponent to have to discard on their next hand (which, you can choose to discard a Bewilderment card so that's nice to avoid having to discard a real card), you can be left having very few real cards to play and cannot buy from the Tavern, just convert a Bewilderment with Treasury and hope the next hand is better.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Tonight while playing an NPC, they chose Rajhin, and there were a number of turns where I paid 3 gold to the Rajhin patron to add a Bewilderment card to their deck.

Then I noticed that there were several turns where the NPC paid 2 gold to convert a Bewilderment card to a writ of gold. After I saw it happen once, I started watching very carefully to verify, and sure enough it happened a few more times.

I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible. Was there a recent change to this in response to all of the complaints about players spamming Rajhin on each other? Or was it another example of how the NPCs' AI sometimes allows them to cheat?

Yes, bewilderment and even cards that you wouldn't want to convert to writ of coins can be targeted by the treasury. This is why the strategy of using the Rajhin button over and over best works if the button presser already has a pretty big advantage. Otherwise, the bewilderment converting player can get a large economic advantage over the button user.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has? I never realized that. I guess the NPCs never use the Rajhin patron on me like that, so I've never had occasion to convert a Bewilderment card to a writ. But niw this makes me wonder why people complain about their opponents filling their decks with Bewilderment cards that they then cannot do anything about.

Because it breaks combos and prevents power regardless if it is converted or not. Writ of coin doesn't grant power and cannot be combo'ed. The conversion also prevents a patron use.

So the person gains permanently damaging control over your deck for a low cost.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 17 March 2023 14:47
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess my confusion about it stemmed from the fact that AFAIK I've never seen the NPCs do anything about the Bewilderment cards that I've added to their decks-- until now. Maybe this was part if the "smarter NPCs" change?

before patch i would occasionally see the npc remove a bewilderment card if they selected one of the cards in the tavern to destroy a card, but they never used to convert them to writs of coin
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NPC AI on which cards they convert to writs of coin needs an update in general. I have only seen an NPC convert a Bewilderment card to a writ of coin once, but yesterday an NPC converted a 2-gold writ of coin into a 2-gold writ of coin when they had a 1-gold basic coin card already in that same hand that could have been converted instead. It was not a stellar moment for the supposed increase in AI difficulty. (This was a proficient NPC, so I would hope they would not be making beginner mistakes like that.)