Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Runecarver-- worst new set ever?

Theignson
Theignson
✭✭✭✭✭
I had hoped that the meaning of the Runecarver set was 500 more weapon damage to flame damage dots on the 3rd tick, or something significant along those lines. After all, it is a light armor set, so maybe good for mag DKs. So we farmed the dungeon a few times to get a build.

But it seems all it does is add ~800 damage to the third tick of a dot. That is it! if the dot hits for 1k, then it doesnt even double the third tick, and does nothing else

In PvP, with player resists, it was even worse-- adding 300 damage--- meaningless!!

Can someone tell me what I am missing here. Who would ever replace any of 100 other sets with this weak, useless set? Is there some niche use I am missing, or something else the set does?
Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
Glimson, Arcanist, Major
All EP/ PC NA
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's every third tick. There was some crazy damage on PTS, don't know about live:

ktd01docn5kr.jpg
    Edited by mocap on 15 March 2023 05:51
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can have more than one dot going on an enemy...
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The damage is low with just one dot. You are supposed to put as many dots as you can and those few with quicker tick rate (Talons, Siphon) it will add another layer of pressure. It does not work with status effect dots, set dots or poisons. Think about it as extra damage to dots like Draugrkin.

Way of Fire is more consistent without the risk of purging all your dot with Ritual, Netch or Mara's Balm.
    Edited by robpr on 15 March 2023 09:49
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm considering replacing Mother's Sorrow with it on my solo sorc build. Dropping Curse for Consuming Trap. And then just laying down Consuming Trap, WoE, and Liquid Lightning, and getting a Rune Carver tick pretty much every second. Should be even stronger on a more dot focused class, but I think it will end up working out nicely as a decent proc with at least 3 dots down.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    You can have more than one dot going on an enemy...

This is a very good, and ofc extremely valid point. Looking at it from the perspective of only one DoT clouds the picture.

@mocap also brought in real numbers.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    It's every third tick. There was some crazy damage on PTS, don't know about live:

ktd01docn5kr.jpg

I believe it was changed to 3rd tick and only 3rd tick late in PTS cycle. You can still get really good numbers, but you need a lot of DoTs ticking and may need to recast some longer DoTs early.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

ktd01docn5kr.jpg

I believe it was changed to 3rd tick and only 3rd tick late in PTS cycle. You can still get really good numbers, but you need a lot of DoTs ticking and may need to recast some longer DoTs early.

It started as only 3rd tick. Then was changed to every third tick. The last adjustment just lowered the damage per tick of the proc because it was fairly high. Still every 3rd tick though.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I believe it was changed to 3rd tick and only 3rd tick late in PTS cycle
    They did, only in reverse.

Live:
    5 – Your damage over time effects deal additional Flame Damage every third damage tick.

PTS 8.3.5:
    5 – Your damage over time effects deal additional Flame Damage on the third damage tick.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ktd01docn5kr.jpg
    They changed how set works excatly because of that reason.
    Edited by axi on 15 March 2023 13:55
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    axi wrote: »

ktd01docn5kr.jpg
    They changed how set works excatly because of that reason.

They changed the damage, not the functionality.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was thinking of using a weird setup with this set

runecarver + way of fire + masters duel wield for some crazy dmg blood craze lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People are farming the heck out of it for PvE necros and DKs right now… it’s the opposite of weak, it’s quite possibly new meta.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was thinking of using a weird setup with this set

runecarver + way of fire + masters duel wield for some crazy dmg blood craze lol

I actually really like the idea of swapping out maelstrom destro back bar with masters duel wield. Both for the blood craze + rune carver procs, as well as for either Rend or Thrive in chaos as an ult. Only for my solo build though.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I tried it on my DK in PvP on both guards and players and the damage seemed unimpressive in combat metrics-- it was way down the list compared to the above post.
    Taking my example from PvP, let's say that it did 400 extra damage on an 800 damage third tick-- if it is every third tick, that would be ~16% damage boost , comparable to the deadly set.
    I will have to do more testing!
    I would also like to know which dots procced it in the above combat metrics post-- I dont see the standard DK dots listed-- and do you need to use Thaumaturge?

Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's for PvP, especially when everyone and their grandma rolling around with Mara's Facepalm.
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    I farmed just enough of it to see what it would do, it’s pretty mediocre for single target, kind of decent for AOE as long as you’re using a lot of AOE dots with 1-second damage ticks like caltrops/ mystic orb/ wall of elements/ endless hail/ class AOE dots, and all the mobs are standing in the AOE dots. If they’re scattered everywhere it’s not worth it, if they die faster than 8-9 seconds not worth it

It actually works for a front bar weapon, you can cast all your 3-4 aoe dot skills on the back bar, swap to the front bar runecarver weapon and immediately see flame damage ticks proccing every second on everything as the third tick rolls over between all the skills.

The flame damage can crit, and has maybe a 3% chance to proc burning, possibly 5%
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great on Necros and DKs it seems, at least when AoE is needed. Procs a lot of siphon, talons, orb etc.

So good for the two classes people are bringing to the end game PvE anyway. Awesome.
    Edited by Runefang on 19 March 2023 07:18
  • Trundik
    Trundik
    ✭✭✭
    robpr wrote: »
    The damage is low with just one dot. You are supposed to put as many dots as you can and those few with quicker tick rate (Talons, Siphon) it will add another layer of pressure. It does not work with status effect dots, set dots or poisons. Think about it as extra damage to dots like Draugrkin.
    I just got that set and can confirm it doesn' proc from proc sets and statuses. And that fact it doesn't work with statuses disapointed me.

Lets compare Pillar of nirn and this one by tooltips:

Pillar: ~ 410 dps
    Carver: 209 every third tick. Okay that means if I take orb, erruption, charge and caltrops theoretically it will do 4x209 dmg at 3rd second. Means 836 / 3 = 278 dps. To hit 410 dps line more dots required. Okay lets count cloak, trap and two more ardent flame skills. It will be 4x209 at 6th second = 139 dps. = 417 total with previous 4 skills combined. So basically to overcome allmighty pillar of nirn in single target competition you need to throw everything there. I wouldn't even use caltrops. But anyway there is more cases where it will rise in effectivenes. Set is good, but tooltip promises that it should work with statuses obviously. Thats a lie.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's good on DK and Necro with the amount of dots they have, since it'll proc for every dot.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody knows how it fares against Draugrkin?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wrong about Runecarver, if you use all dots, it can outdamage Deadly on a DK, so it can't be the "worst" set.

However, Akatosh-- now that really is a contender for "worst set ever". Completely useless in PvP since 3 seconds is an eternity. Not useful in PvE because it doesnt do damage.
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA