The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tempest Island - a not so great experience if you're not able to keep up with rush groups

FayJolyn
FayJolyn
✭✭✭✭
I tried to take advantage of the exp event to lvl up a necro so I hit the dungeons. If your're on a slow mount Tempest Keep is a horrible experience. The high lvls rush on their fast mounts towards the door - leaving me behind. They start the boss I cannot join because I'm stuck behind the door - in combat - They finish the boss and rush towards the next one. I am running as fast as I can to the next part. But I also have a bunch of mobs now all turning on me - I try to skip as many as I can, but I get stunned and running out of stam. The group is far ahead. Every time they're able to mount they take full advantage of it and the gap keeps increasing further. I was not able to join in any of the boss fights and did not get any loot or exp.

Why doesn't have Tempest Keep have a teleport ability that ports all players to the current in combat boss? There is nothing a new & slower player can do now if the group doesn't feel like slowing down. :/ The fact that the whole group becomes in combat prevents me from interacting with doors while they burn down boss after boss. It's really annoying.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 7 March 2023 17:59
Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
  • Red_chimera_oni
    Red_chimera_oni
    ✭✭✭
    That's not only in tempest island. It's in all dungeons.
    New players have to ask "please, i have quest". And new players need to pray others allow them to complete it.
    High levels skip in dungeons and trials. Only because they can and forget about low levels. They dont care at all.
    ZoS should make something to avoid skip and force players to kill all. People like and play tje game or they dont.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joining encounter in progress needs to be in all the old dungeons.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS needs to fix the rushing/fake role dungeon experience ASAP. They are losing many players because of these bad experiences.
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    ZOS needs to fix the rushing/fake role dungeon experience ASAP. They are losing many players because of these bad experiences.

Fix how, exactly?
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Skvysh wrote: »

Fix how, exactly?
    There are multiple ways. Not being able to skip a bossfight, not being able to start a bossfight with less than 3 players, can't kill last boss unless all other bosses/most trashmobs before it are killed, joining encounter in progress, etc. There are probably more ways, and multiple ways combined at the same time to fix this. But there are many other threads with ideas on this (and fake roles) already. It just needs to get fixed. As currently the dungeonfinder is a horrible experience for lots of players, and for newer players these types of experiences could mean they will quit the game.

ZOS needs to fix it ASAP.

Don't let bad behaviour players like that stop you from enjoying the game, or from queueing up for more dungeons.
    Edited by Sarannah on 7 March 2023 09:11
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Fix how, exactly?
    There are multiple ways. Not being able to skip a bossfight, not being able to start a bossfight with less than 3 players, can't kill last boss unless all other bosses/most trashmobs before it are killed, joining encounter in progress, etc. There are probably more ways, and multiple ways combined at the same time to fix this. But there are many other threads with ideas on this (and fake roles) already. It just needs to get fixed. As currently the dungeonfinder is a horrible experience for lots of players, and for newer players these types of experiences could mean they will quit the game.

Don't let bad behaviour players like that stop you from enjoying the game, or from queueing up for more dungeons.

Yeah, let's not do that, I like my soloing experience. Make it so that all players present in the dungeon have to be in the room, then sure.

• robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not only on Tempest Island, its in most dungeons until you reach a door you cannot open while in combat.

You would have to change the enemy layout in old dungeons so you cannot skip them and add more doors. There are also no priority enemies you have to taunt away asap like in DLC dungeons.

This is not easy fixable and definitely wont bring Zos much profit to do. For how many years we asked for DSA waves to spawn faster? They can't do it without redoing the entire arena from scratch apparently.
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭

Fix how, exactly?

So can we also classify a dd that does only 10k dps a fake dd since we are talking about fake roles?

Fake roles dont matter in almost any normal dungeon.

Also in every new dungeon only thing to complete the quest is accepting the quest and killing the final boss. Only thing zenimax has to do here is look over their vanilla dungeons, implement it along with teleporting people to active encounters.

Very many players have limited time to play and only way to fit rnd into their day is by rushing it.

Until we have more ways to get crystals every day or not timegating the crystals I will keep on queing as fake tank and rushing trough everything.
    Sorry, not sorry. Blame the game not the player.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Fix how, exactly?

So can we also classify a dd that does only 10k dps a fake dd since we are talking about fake roles?

Also in every new dungeon only thing to complete the quest is accepting the quest and killing the final boss. Only thing zenimax has to do here is look over their vanilla dungeons, implement it along with teleporting people to active encounters.

Very many players have limited time to play and only way to fit rnd into their day is by rushing it.

Until we have more ways to get crystals every day or not timegating the crystals I will keep on queing as fake tank and rushing trough everything.

Yes, but also no.

The game could definitely implement the 'joining encounter in progress' feature in all dungeons to help alleviate these issues but we players can also do our part to contribute.

I get that each one of us can have conflicting goals, but ultimately if one is an experienced player and lands on one of the 'conflictive' dungeons (Tempest Island, Vaults of Madness etc) where one can easily prevent another player from completing the quest just by means of steamrolling through it doesn't take a great deal of effort to ask.

Making a set of assumptions is not perfect, but can help at very little cost. If I land on one of those aforementioned dungeons and I see sub-lvl 50 players in the group I ask 'does anyone need quest?'

Takes just a couple of seconds. I don't know if these are alts or not, it may well be new players that don't really know that we are about to make their dungeon experience pretty meh and don't know that saying 'have quest' or 'picking quest' could somewhat alleviate this.

If everyone is above CP160 I assume people do have a voice and knows what to do with it. If no one says anything and I see no indication of people having quest I just get on.

Yes, is a PUG. Yes, is very possible that all four people are there just for the daily fix of crystals and XP. Still, there are 3 more people there, and treating everyone else as if they were extras in one's film is just not particularly endearing.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on 7 March 2023 10:09
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Fix how, exactly?

Good luck finding anyone to do a dungeon.

If I had to do that I'd never join a random. Would be quicker to grind the xp.

So the pool of available people would drop massively and queue would never pop.

Bad behaviours is also subjective. Why is rushing through content that I've done about a million times considered bad behaviour?

I want my xp, want my transmutes and then go do what I actually want to do.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »

Fix how, exactly?

Yes, but also no.

The game could definitely implement the 'joining encounter in progress' feature in all dungeons to help alleviate these issues but we players can also do our part to contribute.

I get that each one of us can have conflicting goals, but ultimately if one is an experienced player and lands on one of the 'conflictive' dungeons (Tempest Island, Vaults of Madness etc) where one can easily prevent another player from completing the quest just by means of steamrolling through it doesn't take a great deal of effort to ask.

Making a set of assumptions is not perfect, but can help at very little cost. If I land on one of those aforementioned dungeons and I see sub-lvl 50 players in the group I ask 'does anyone need quest?'

Takes just a couple of seconds. I don't know if these are alts or not, it may well be new players that don't really know that we are about to make their dungeon experience pretty meh and don't know that saying 'have quest' or 'picking quest' could somewhat alleviate this.

If everyone is above CP160 I assume people do have a voice and knows what to do with it. If no one says anything and I see no indication of people having quest I just get on.

Yes, is a PUG. Yes, is very possible that all four people are there just for the daily fix of crystals and XP. Still, there are 3 more people there, and treating everyone else as if they were extras in one's film is just not particularly endearing.

You can flip that though.

If 3 of them just want to finish it asap, why should they wait around for one person to do a quest?

It's the nature of random. You could get anything. You can't go in there with a goal and always expect to do it exactly how you want. You can make groups for that. If no irl friends play, you can join 5 guilds. I always see people asking for help and getting it.

Random dungeons will always have people with conflicting objectives. That's just how it is. You just have to accept that going into it.
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭

Fix how, exactly?

Yes, but also no.

I get that one might have a quest to do there, but at the end of the day it is zenimax who has to revisit their older content and make fixes so bad experiances are less likely to happen.
    Noone rushes just for spite. It is to be as efficient as possible.
    If people ask specifically to take it slow for the quest I will. Newer players do have access to chat feature also.
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disable mount in instance then, and tag the instance if its a group so trash mobs had to be cleared. (speaking for normal instances)

This evening, in one of the instance, the healer (fake), started running without any consideration for lower levels.

At last boss, 2 players had left ... and this one was : i dont undestand why they left ... well i can solo that so its no problem

Selfish in all glory.

I answered : they did not like your fast run and be left behind with all the adds and left the instance
    My most recent characters
    AD - Chjara NB
    -
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

Fix how, exactly?

Yes, but also no.

If 3 of them just want to finish it asap, why should they wait around for one person to do a quest?

It's the nature of random. You could get anything. You can't go in there with a goal and always expect to do it exactly how you want. You can make groups for that. If no irl friends play, you can join 5 guilds. I always see people asking for help and getting it.

Random dungeons will always have people with conflicting objectives. That's just how it is. You just have to accept that going into it.

I disagree on the last point, They should announce at start i will run fast so the people who dont want that can ask for a kick (dont leave or you have penalty) I do not see why i would help someone who has no desire to help the others
    My most recent characters
    AD - Chjara NB
    -
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lauranae wrote: »
    Brrrofski wrote: »

Fix how, exactly?

Yes, but also no.

I disagree on the last point, They should announce at start i will run fast so the people who dont want that can ask for a kick (dont leave or you have penalty) I do not see why i would help someone who has no desire to help the others

But again, that's subjective.

Vast majority of people I know do a random dungeon for the xp and transmutes. So it's default for most people just to rush through.

And without people doing that, group finder wouldn't even work. You'd have barely anyone joining randoms just to help people.

If someone says they're doing the quest, I will wait up. But if someone doesn't, I just take it that we're sprinting to the end.

But even if you say you're doing quest, you can't expect everyone to wait, as they have their own objective.

You can't control a random group. You can ask, but they're not guaranteed to facilitate you.

Only way to do that is fine someone who will help and create a group.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s been a horrible situation for years, but considerably worse since the ten crystal reward for random dungeons was put in place. I solo as many dungeons as I can and skip the rest, but my low level alts shouldn’t have to miss out on random dungeons’ gear and skill points because of selfish speed runners.
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the easiest fix: Get rid of the transmute rewards from normal and double vet rewards. Cut the bonus xp in half, or altogether for anyone over 160cp, double it for vet. Maybe then these fake tanks, healers, rushers will learn their lesson when they try this in vet and they're constantly kicked.

For now, all you can do is ask to please slow down, try a vote kick. If neither work, then leave and take the penalty, and try again for a decent group. They aren't all like this.
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the easiest fix: Get rid of the transmute rewards from normal and double vet rewards. Cut the bonus xp in half, or altogether for anyone over 160cp, double it for vet. Maybe then these fake tanks, healers, rushers will learn their lesson when they try this in vet and they're constantly kicked.

For now, all you can do is ask to please slow down, try a vote kick. If neither work, then leave and take the penalty, and try again for a decent group. They aren't all like this.

So your solution to it is to punish everyone who has no interest in doing vet content?
    Noone fake tanks in vet in the first place and people that do vet content alot are skipping even vet dungeons. It solves nothing.

It is kind of a double standard that is beeing asked here. You are demanding that people should help everyone do their quest, but when it comes to helping people get their daily done fast and in timely manner then that is a big nono.

If you really want to avoid rushing and think people that are doing it are selfish use premade groups. Dont expect pug to follow your imaginary ruleset.
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭
    I no longer do dungeons. After playing them to death over the years, being the same old thing. Along with that and the antics of certain players, enough is enough. They are just not fun anymore and I no longer need to do them. I have no interest in the meta, along with being a solo quester, so I don't need the frustration. I have full crafter and the rest of the gear I need is in my sticker book. So sorted.
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just add a few more options to dungeon finder:

Quest Mode
    Level ranges
    Boss Rush

stuff like that. The basic Normal and Veteran isn't good enough IMO.

It's not hard to fix, just not a priority cause it doesn't make any money to do it.

Want to zerg rush the bosses and get out quick? Boss rush is for you.
    Story mode and read all the dialogue? Quest mode calls.
    Want to play with similarly experienced players? Level range is your friend.

Basic stuff that could fix a lot of headaches for PUG players.
    Edited by TybaltKaine on 7 March 2023 13:15
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make the quests repeatable and mandatory to get transmutes and other rewards.
    #ducksandruns. :D
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭

Quest Mode
    Level ranges
    Boss Rush

stuff like that. The basic Normal and Veteran isn't good enough IMO.

It's not hard to fix, just not a priority cause it doesn't make any money to do it.

Want to zerg rush the bosses and get out quick? Boss rush is for you.
    Story mode and read all the dialogue? Quest mode calls.
    Want to play with similarly experienced players? Level range is your friend.

Basic stuff that could fix a lot of headaches for PUG players.

Last thing we need is to divide community even more by putting them all in different matchmaking systems. For a dd its already hard enough finding a random pug.
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like that idea.

Make it like a daily delve/world boss/dolmen stand in quest in the DLC's.

Get it, do the whole quest, get extra transmutes and such. Solves the problem in the easiest way possible.
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    High level here , OP I still make sure I have everyone keep up with me in any dungeon , I find alot of low levels doing the same with rushing through only to die and achieve nothing because they then have to wait for the rest of the group , I still know what it feels like to be a lowbie newbie so I have plenty of patience for new players if they do it right <3

Nothing worse than an unclean dungeon run
    Edited by WySoSirius on 7 March 2023 13:48
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »

Fix how, exactly?

Yeah, let's not do that, I like my soloing experience. Make it so that all players present in the dungeon have to be in the room, then sure.
    Was just throwing out some ideas, which ofcourse should be refined/looked at.

And everyone wants dungeons done fast as possible, that does not mean it should be a mostly unpleasant experience for the players involved, as it is now. ZOS needs to fix these dungeonfinder issues... I do not even care how.

I'd rather we lose one rusher/fake role, but keep three new players. This may actually make more players queue up, as many are probably not queueing due to how some players treat others in the dungeonfinder. If running a dungeon is more pleasant, the dungeonfinder will recover from the few rushers/fake roles it loses. Maybe the dungeonfinder becomes even more popular without them.

Even if the dungeonqueue would end up losing some players, it is worth it just for the better experience all the other players will have in there.

PS: And ohw... remove the damn stamina/run penalty from heavy armor!!! Maybe tie this in to how much of the health stat a player has(60+ health stat = no heavy armor negatives).
    PPS: Personally I always try to make the dungeon experience a good one for everyone involved. And I always go as fast as possible without rushing, while pointing out chests and sacks.
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran the Tempest yesterday as non-vet alt. I totally agree that current 4-people dungeon experience seems horrible for newcomers.

Yes, I shouted that I have a quest at the moment I jumped in, because I know this quest needs clearing the trash on the beach. People who run their first time there have no chance to manage it before fast-runners get to the first boss. Then first-timers have their quest blocked, because first boss killed before beach part ended. Unfortunately it is bad level design and should be fixed.

We had one fake tank runner and 3 non-vets in that group. Should mention the runner was polite enough to stop on the beach and wait on every boss. So it was not the worst case. But he ran through all the long caves with trash mobs without taunting or aoe, so I had to pull it on me, burst and ran for him. That might compensate the effect, but anyway the experience of those two guys behind was just horrible. I feel sorry they met the dungeon this way.

At the end, runner asked if we have some divine items of one set we don't need. We were non-vets all three. Just a detail to mark a level of awareness that runners often have to their group :)

To be fair, I'm happy that my first dungeons were different than that.
    I guess that redesigning some parts of dungeons is necessary, but I trust devs could do it careful, so it won't be worse than now.
    For example, ban any mounts in dungeons looks simple and good (I'll curse my tongue when I farm something, but really it's fair thing). By contrast, simple adding "join the encounter" in Tempest without changing the quest will just break the quest for many first-timers. This aspect needs a wise approach.
    Edited by Blood_again on 7 March 2023 14:20
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Quest Mode
    Level ranges
    Boss Rush

I guess Quest mode will be enough. People ask it for years.
    Other aspects of dungeons have more or less same directions with fast-funners so they don't break the whole thing. Joining the encounter will fix the rest.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

they aren't losing anybody because of it. And if that is the reason why somebody quits playing chances are they would have found another reason to stop playing as well.

I do agree that Join in Progress should be a thing in every dungeon. They should also wait (I do) till everyone is at least through the door for the next area.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's so frustrating. I was farming Overwhelming Surge here a few months ago as a healer and noticed other high level players doing it, even when newer players were clearly trying to complete the quest. They'd mount off, sprint to the bosses, and kill them before anyone else could get the loot.

I called one of them out for it once, asking them to slow down so the new player on a quest could get it completed. Turns out he was boosting a friend though and didn't care about the rest of the group. The questing player left the group to re-queue, and I got vote-kicked for daring to ask the sprinters to slow down for the quester. Faith in humanity sank a bit that day.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well retro adding "join combat in progress", might as well change pledge quest or dungeon quest to "just need last boss"
    Edited by ForzaRammer on 7 March 2023 15:10