The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gamepad UI Error - "Assertion failed!" (not caused by add-ons, doesn't affect play)

DerethDawnblade
DerethDawnblade
✭✭✭
I've been receiving this strange repeating error for the past week, but can't seem to figure out what is causing it. It happens regardless of if add-ons are installed or not (already renamed the addons folder and settings file to test it), it seems to stack the same error 5 times, meaning I have to spam-click the dismiss button for it to go away, and it occurs regardless of if I have the gamepad turned off or on. I can't find any info on this specific error anywhere online. This error is causing me problems with troubleshooting issues I've been encountering with add-ons, because of all the extra and seemingly pointless error messages.dm53orkcukc7.pngf1jvstx7pxw8.png

Edited by ZOS_Bill on 7 February 2023 15:41
  • DerethDawnblade
    DerethDawnblade
    ✭✭✭
    I have fully uninstalled the game, deleted all related folders and saved variables, reinstalled, and still get this exact same error the moment I log into a character. I have to click about 10 times to clear it from my screen. The error mentions the gamepad, and while I do normally play with the gamepad, the error occurs regardless of if it is active or even plugged in. I'm at a total loss as to what could be causing this as the LUA file in question seems to be perfectly normal.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @DerethDawnblade

Do you have any other gamepads you can test with?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • DerethDawnblade
    DerethDawnblade
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    @DerethDawnblade

Do you have any other gamepads you can test with?

Yes. I get the error regardless of what gamepad I use, or even if a gamepad is plugged in at all. I'm starting to wonder if the error might be because of keybinds, but all my keybinds function without issue, unless the game just really doesn't like that I mapped target markers to the left stick because I couldn't access my quickslot wheel with its default map.
  • DerethDawnblade
    DerethDawnblade
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Bill
    And now this is happening. If I try to go into the Options menu with the gamepad UI, it gives an error too long to screenshot, showing errors in multiple additional LUA files with "ZO_Scene" in their names, the menu is blank, and after closing the error no menus are accessible on either kayboard or gamepad. All the other menus function fine unless I got into Options, which locks me out of most of the interface.awll2y5oqd1e.png
    Edited by DerethDawnblade on 5 February 2023 15:32
  • DerethDawnblade
    DerethDawnblade
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Bill So apparently it is the Target Markers keybind causing the issue. I unbound the key completely and all errors stopped. I think this may be a bug with the target marker wheel. I can live without it, but it would be nice to have the option to use it without it glitching out.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thank you for the update! As the OP has discovered that this is caused by a Target Markers keybind, we have decided to close the thread going forward.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.