The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

This block bug is better.

Dr_Con
Dr_Con
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Before people dogpile on this issue, I find this block bug to be much more manageable than the ones we've had this entire update. My expectations were low, but it seems that some of the feedback to revert block to how it was pre-u36 reached the right people. The current iteration of this "even older" block bug is hardly noticeable for tanks.

The block bug over the past 2 weeks was so horrible people lampooned ZOS over it. The one before it was just as bad and lasted way too long, but was more managable than the one that just got fixed.

TLDR: I prefer this block bug that you have to seemingly intentionally activate, that can be fixed with simple bar swaps, than the block bug that occurred when you spammed bash or the one that you got that required you to zone out of your instance/sprint on a horse and LA to get out of
Edited by Dr_Con on 20 December 2022 08:57
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer my game not being bugged. But to each their own.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer my game not being bugged. But to each their own.

This is a completely fair comment, but instead of borking the code further they reinstated block to how it was before u36. In all games, bugs go unnoticed and unacknowledged for a while before being fixed. I'm sure there's thousands of other bugs in the game that either haven't been reported, or are low priority or are limited to people who intentionally inflict the bug on themselves. This fix/reversion to an older version is much more preferable.

The reason why this last bug was the "worst" of the three bugs is because you would have to zone out and zone back in to fix it in trials. That's 2 minutes at least, times 12 people who have to wait- especially if you have to run to the trial, and it was inflicted not just by unsheathing/weapon swap, but after rezzing, which means after an already frustration-producing attempt on a boss, you have people who are frustrated that they have to re-zone to fix the bug.

The previous iteration may have been responsible for tanks dying, but tanks could change their playstyle to prevent the bugs from affecting them.

The current one hasn't been the blame for any deaths in the two pug trials I ran today, whereas the previous ones were the subject of criticism/complains several times per trial.
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I would give to find a customer base such as ESO's.

I could do half decent products and focus on selling new junk, while handling complaints like "yea yea, I'll fix that someday"

The things we settle in...
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • Ghaleb
    Ghaleb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olen_Mikko wrote: »

I could do half decent products and focus on selling new junk, while handling complaints like "yea yea, I'll fix that someday"

You see that happening in a lot of threads, where players / customers complain. E.g. the, IMHO, more than necessary criticism towards ZOS for the direction of the game since U33, having it hit peak (for me) with U35 and the ****show U36 was. A good number of regular posters in the forum arrive, explaining that all is good (for them at least) and ZOS will for sure make it better.

The number of times I read that ZOS was working on it and we'll have a fix soon. And now? New block bug over christmas where theoretically, a lot of people would have more time to play and now will probably stay away. At least for trials.

We did vSS yesterday and that went well and vRG afterwards our tanks were dropping as if they were meth-addled racoons, unable to hit a key on the keyboard.

Adding to that the regular inconsistencies of trials, that was a fun run, which we didn't complete annoyed. Like, that half our raid team got burned at Xalvakka despite standing right in front of the flame barrier and sprinted to the stairway. Is easy to rezz half the raid team, including both tanks, even though everything was done right.

The letter from Matt Frior is a week old and they already skipped doing better. I am more than worried for 2023, with them working on complete new systems and on the most requested feature (where you meanwhile could argue that it is blocking indeed...). Looking at the current trajectory... I couldn't post my real thoughts here without getting hit by the filter for using swear words.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a dog somewhere sitting at a table calmly sipping coffee while the room around it burns.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's still something to be fixed while not that tragic any more. If la weaving or something can trigger it during combat there is a change for tank getting squished by that boss attack which must be blocked. And the bug is bit more annoying with Oakensoul ring if it happens.
    Not telling about bug still happening in patch notes was worse than not completely fixing it.
    Edited by rpa on 20 December 2022 09:47
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From a few comments I can see that this is looked at as a copium topic, it isn't. this bug now has such little impact, that they could leave it alone for years and I would not care. Someone would have to intentionally inflict this bug on themselves to get it now, the other bugs we had throughout this entire update occurred as a result of normal gameplay.

I had zero issues with block bug in u35, which is the same bug we have now, and suddenly it's an issue? Maybe it existed in u34, and u33. Maybe it's been there since launch. The sequence of events is so specific and obscure to activate it that nobody really knows how long this bug has been around. If they leave block alone, I will be happy. If people keep demanding fixes for the current bug it's going to lead to solutions like requiring that the animation for unsheathing fully goes through before any attacks can happen, and that animation canceling can no longer happen. This would be a negative impact for both PVE and PVP, but people will say they are "happy" because the bug is no longer in the game despite having to wait the full sequence to unsheathe.

Having to address this bug has led to other bugs, leaving it alone in its current state will do zero harm. It's a known bug that people have to intentionally inflict to come across it regularly, that can be fixed by doing the same thing that caused it within a second. leave it at that.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Olen_Mikko wrote: »

Welcome to every MMO playerbase. The block bug while annoying didn't break the game. There are so many other things you could do while it was being fixed, or just deal with it. It wasn't like it was 100% chance to happen. Since the original I've probably run a dungeon or two nightly and trial at least weekly and only like twice did the tank have to leave and come back and then it didn't happen again so not even that annoying really. Yes yes End of the world ESO is dying while they logged out and back in but after nobody cared.

Bugs are expected by anybody who has played a game, speically a "As a service" game and as long as it's being worked on the vast majority of people aren't going to care much.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know things are going well when we are debating which version of a bug we prefer...
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, in PvP you must sheathe weapons to use or buy siege, enter doors and of course riding mounts. Any advice on how to AVOID getting the bug if you need to sheathe via mentioned game mechanics? Swap weapons immediately after each siege merchant interaction for example?
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    From a few comments I can see that this is looked at as a copium topic, it isn't. this bug now has such little impact, that they could leave it alone for years and I would not care. Someone would have to intentionally inflict this bug on themselves to get it now, the other bugs we had throughout this entire update occurred as a result of normal gameplay.

I had zero issues with block bug in u35, which is the same bug we have now, and suddenly it's an issue? Maybe it existed in u34, and u33. Maybe it's been there since launch. The sequence of events is so specific and obscure to activate it that nobody really knows how long this bug has been around. If they leave block alone, I will be happy. If people keep demanding fixes for the current bug it's going to lead to solutions like requiring that the animation for unsheathing fully goes through before any attacks can happen, and that animation canceling can no longer happen. This would be a negative impact for both PVE and PVP, but people will say they are "happy" because the bug is no longer in the game despite having to wait the full sequence to unsheathe.

Having to address this bug has led to other bugs, leaving it alone in its current state will do zero harm. It's a known bug that people have to intentionally inflict to come across it regularly, that can be fixed by doing the same thing that caused it within a second. leave it at that.

i dont know when the change was, but you already have to go through the full unsheath animation if you hit a skill while sheathed

if you do something else that actually animation cancels (especially something like block or dodge which was explicitly stated to ignore GCD) it cancels out the unsheath animation
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by DinoZavr on 21 December 2022 00:00
    PC EU
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but the fact that there's still a block bug is a joke. No, it doesn't matter that the bug is "more manageable". The fact that a core combat ability and required mechanic for every type of gameplay is bugged after 7 weeks is a problem.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry but the fact that there's still a block bug is a joke. No, it doesn't matter that the bug is "more manageable". The fact that a core combat ability and required mechanic for every type of gameplay is bugged after 7 weeks is a problem.

It absolutely matters that this bug is more manageable and completely avoidable. I am on board with them not messing with core combat abilities, but this version was not only practically unknown, but it takes 1 second to correct and eats at nobody's time. The block bugs we've been enduring eats several minutes of time out of trials to fix (times 12 people, resulting in many hours of gametime lost cumulatively), and even with these workarounds it wasn't guaranteed that these bugs wouldn't pop up mid-fight. The one at release of U36 was more managable than the previous one because it meant strategically reapplying block after each bash and roll dodge. It resulted in a lower quality of play, but it was still manageable. The recent one was simply unfixable and how it got through to live and was allowed to be around 2 weeks is simply unacceptable. The fact that it was on console first is even more alarming. The current one does not impact the quality of play, and when addressing bugs- specifically core combat abilities, it's important to see the impact that bugs have before jumping to try and fix it without proper testing.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Manageable or not, it's interesting to see how people defend and lower their standards to feel better. Which...I get honestly. Some bugs we don't care about, some we do....but at the end of the day, they should all be addressed. And ZOS has done a wretched job of doing that.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What matters most is the poor communication which has made players more and more irritated the longer the fixes have dragged. If devs have tweaked with bug in way which does not prevent easily reproducing it but but does prevent it unintentionally happening in combat that information should be communicated loudly and officially to prevent needless forum mobs with torches and pitchforks and progression players giving up and moving to other games when they sheathe la+swap and see the result.
    Edited by rpa on 20 December 2022 21:04
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sad to see how conditioned we've become to ESO bugs, yes all MMO's have bugs - but block being bugged in any severity for nearly 2 months from an 8 year old game & billion dollar studio is unacceptable. End of story.
  • RupertVandy
    RupertVandy
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer my left hand being tied behind my back than my right hand.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From what I understand, the suggestion is that this bug isn't as disruptive as the previous two, so devs shouldn't tinker with it and risk making things worse. Some could see this as being easy on the devs, but another interpretation is that it's some quite harsh criticism: we simply can't expect much better.

I view things differently. If the devs keep making blocking so important to the game, they should make the mechanic work flawlessly. If they keep failing at that, they must reassess their procedures to locate the source of the problem. In order to preserve players' trust, they should be more open about whatever issues they're facing on their side that result in so many turbulences. Yes, this is asking for too much, considering past events, but I feel it's what is needed for the game to indeed live longer.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously?
    This block bug is better?
    There should be no block bug at all.