The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Certain races should be playable even if they weren't ever emperors of Cyrodiil

Dr_Con
Dr_Con
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
But these races should be unable to be emperor and it should be stated at character select.

This will require a lot of new dialogue being added into the game, but it would be cool to play as a dremora or a sea elf, snow elf. It could be considered lore breaking to play as something like a Chimer or Ayelid, but with a different tutorial/origin story it's possible- especially seeing how vestiges are created by Nirn in a time of need, I don't think Nirn cares what race these perfect (or near perfect) beings are supposed to be. They'll get blinked out of existence one day anyways, so why not have fun with our characters until then?
Edited by Dr_Con on 22 November 2022 21:31
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    Second Era post Flu locks out a lot of races (Ayleids, Kothringi and etc) given the amount of races that have "died out" and needing to be able to walk around every zone without everyone trying to kill you also locks out some other races i.e Maormer for Summerset.

If the game was first era you'd be able to get away with Chimer, Ayleids, Falmer, Kothringi and etc but by ESO being late second era just is a lot more rigid.
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing a Dremora would introduce serious plot holes for a fair bit of content, including the Gates of Oblivion year where Lyranth makes multiple references to needing the player to disable anti-daedra wards and stuff.

Playing a Chimer, likewise, is a problem with the lore for the Dunmer. The only people who kept their Chimer appearance were certain members of the Tribunal.

That's not even considering the lore implications of seeing hundreds of players of these supposedly rare or extinct races in this Era, or the game play implications of ZOS trying to balance these races to make them distinct.

Now, there's nothing stopping you from role-playing those races. I enjoy the Xivkyn polymorphs for roleplaying as a Daedra.
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    With skins/personalities you can do a fairly solid attempt at recreating other races. Can pretty much be a maormer, dark seducer, golden saint. Can do a knockoff skaafin. Can be a spriggan or dremora with the polymorphs.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing a Dremora would introduce serious plot holes for a fair bit of content, including the Gates of Oblivion year where Lyranth makes multiple references to needing the player to disable anti-daedra wards and stuff.

Playing a Chimer, likewise, is a problem with the lore for the Dunmer. The only people who kept their Chimer appearance were certain members of the Tribunal.

That's not even considering the lore implications of seeing hundreds of players of these supposedly rare or extinct races in this Era, or the game play implications of ZOS trying to balance these races to make them distinct.

Now, there's nothing stopping you from role-playing those races. I enjoy the Xivkyn polymorphs for roleplaying as a Daedra.

On that last point, there is a great thread about people making their own non-playable races.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/565915/show-off-your-non-playable-races

Here are two I created from that thread;

kyjziplqre76.png

My maomer exile.

u9ov94dl5heg.png

My "time lost" dwemer.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like your Dwemer!
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭

Also the Maormer are more rigid because Summerset the zone is very hostile to Maormer. I think in one quest its written as Altmer don't suffer Maormer.
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.