The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Galen - Is there a link?

Hlaaluna
Hlaaluna
✭✭✭
In Vvardenfell we have Tel Galen, and now we learn there is an island called Galen. I believe “Tel” in Dunmeri means Tower but I could not find a meaning for Galen. I wonder if there is any connection between these places, or is it just names plucked from nowhere in particular?
  • Cosmo_Nova
    Cosmo_Nova
    ✭✭✭
    Telvanni towers can be naned after the wizard that grew them - like Tel Fyr - or after the location they're grown on, like Tel Uvirith or Tel Vos. Most likely the wizard that created it was called Galen (sounds enough like a Dunmeri name), or the location was called that before the tower was built.

As for the actual meaning or relation, we can only guess. Firesong might reveal something about the origin, if we're lucky!
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cosmo_Nova wrote: »
    Telvanni towers can be naned after the wizard that grew them - like Tel Fyr - or after the location they're grown on, like Tel Uvirith or Tel Vos. Most likely the wizard that created it was called Galen (sounds enough like a Dunmeri name), or the location was called that before the tower was built.

As for the actual meaning or relation, we can only guess. Firesong might reveal something about the origin, if we're lucky!

There are Dunmer with the last name Galen so that’s probably what happened. I hope the connection is revealed at some point since I don’t understand how an elf from the opposite side of Tamriel and a breton island could share a name unless it has some connection to the Aldmer.

Edit: Galenwe also has Galen in it… so maybe there IS an Aldmer connection somewhere?
    Edited by Soarora on 5 October 2022 17:40
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In TES2: Daggerfall, there was a reference in a book to High Rock about "The Druids of Galen".
    This is what they are referring to in High Isles. The towers are just a coincidence.
    :)
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    There are Dunmer with the last name Galen so that’s probably what happened. I hope the connection is revealed at some point since I don’t understand how an elf from the opposite side of Tamriel and a breton island could share a name unless it has some connection to the Aldmer.

Edit: Galenwe also has Galen in it… so maybe there IS an Aldmer connection somewhere?

It could be well be a coincidence. There was a Dark Elf in TESIII named Raven Omayn. That her first name was also and English word was exceptional. There was nothing indicate that her name had anything to do with the birds, just as the name Llethri had no apparent connection to (uses Google translate) slopes. If a fairly short, Dark Elven word can coincidently resemble one that belongs to real language that same could be true of TES' other fictional languages.

However, Before the Ages of Man says that High Elves built wizard towers at Ald Redaynia, Bal Fell, Tel Aruhn and Tel Mora. By the time of ESO, nothing seems to remain of those High Elven towers, which have been replaced with a Velothi tower, a daedric shrine and Telvanni towers respectively. This makes me question if High Elves really did build towers around Vvardenfell. If they did, perhaps Tel Galen could the site of a lesser known High Elven tower that, unusually, is named after this original tower.
    Edited by kaushad on 6 October 2022 13:38