Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Blocking

peirceg
peirceg
I have a ping of 179 and I'm playing in Japan. I just wanted to know if it is possible to react to enemy swings (normal attacks[not power attacks]) and block them. This is nothing to do with timing - i see an enemy swinging and I react to block. I can't seem to do it. Is it because of lag, or is it essentially just a part of the game?
  • donheyb16_ESO
    It should be possible block with the right mouse button (by default). If you're experiencing lag then I hope it improves as the launch smooths out. Best of luck peirceg!
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    I can do it! Just that it seems to be registering as a normal hit as opposed to an actual block with reduced damage!
  • Taeko
    Taeko
    Try pressing the other mouse button, not the right, but the left. Go to your settings(in menu) and make sure the block function is bound to mouse key? U could also bind it to another key if that would be easier. A lot of people bind the interrupt function(this is too interrupt casting or big attacks indicated by red circles) to another key because this can be hard to time (it's automatically bound to pressing both mouse buttons in a certain way). Also, dodging can sometimes be hard to time and u can change which key dodge is bound to or u can adjust how fast u double press the directional buttons.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do not want to block light enemy attacks, its just a waste of stamina. You want to block their power attacks(you see yellow sparks around the enemy as he is charging up the attack).

If you successfully block such an attack, you will recognize it by the enemy getting temporarily set off-balance (he appears stunned, stops attacking and has a white halo around the head). You can then hit him with your own power attack while he is in this state, it will knock him to the ground
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    You do not want to, as opposed to that you can't with the current mechanics. I can't do reactive blocking :( I know its a waste of stamina but i just wish that i could actually block light strikes heading my way :(
  • DV_Cypher
    DV_Cypher
    Just a note, I've been noticing that certain block animations are quicker than others. Staves are slow as hell, but dual wielded swords are quick as hell. Maybe just something to mess around with!
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Albert Einstein
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    unfortunately still cant block light attacks reactively :( damnit. Was hoping for a more actiony experience!
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have even been able to block the spells cast by the fire atriochs in Coldharbor. Its just not a total block. You stop a percentage of it. Its just that heavy attacks are easier to see and block because of the NPC stun if sucessful.
    Edited by Darlgon on 31 March 2014 12:06
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been able to block fine.
    What are you blocking with?
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    isnt there a spark or something when you successfully block a light attack? dont get me wrong guys ive been able to block their power attacks because they telegraph them. just havent been able to block light attacks by reacting then pressing block!
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    tried blocking with all weapons...same old same old
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol.. i am now running up to casters into melee, blocking casters to interrupt them.. and keep interrupting til I am out of stamena. its kinda fun.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    does anyone know if the real time combat is calculated client side or server side? If its server side thats probably why i cant do reactive blocking to light attacks.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One would hope it's server-side otherwise we can expect some serious hacks anytime now .. along with the RMT bots which already exist it seems.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the issue here is that the op is clicking rmb to block instead of holding the button down.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    im holding it down alright. just that when i do i dont get the sparks off my weapon and it seems to be registering as a normal hit. again this might be due to me having a ping of 179.
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never tried to block light attacks, did not know you could.

I would rather not waste time blocking those anyway, better to use that time to kill.

I save my blocks for the heavy ones that result in stunning the enemy. I must be doing it wrong because I hold down both left and right mouse buttons. Still seems to work though.
    Edited by Yankee on 1 April 2014 14:23
  • Taeko
    Taeko
    You could try binding the block function to different button-that way u don't need to get the sequence right on the mouse buttons-it would make it simpler.
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    was just trying to figure out if that not being able to block light attacks was part of the actual game design.
  • Taeko
    Taeko
    peirceg wrote: »
    was just trying to figure out if that not being able to block light attacks was part of the actual game design.

No, u can block light attacks too. The thing is blocking doesn't completely block all damage. You will block more damage with sword and shield. And when a heavy attack come blocking will def prevent you from being knocked back.

• pysgod1978b14_ESO
    You have to be quick to block light attacks since they're quite fast. and you'll still lose health but not as much.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    You really needn't worry about the light attacks or rebinding the block feature.

When you see a heavy attack coming just add in the rt button (or press both if you're not attacking atm) ..if you do that you will kill them before they kill you.

Save your dodges for multiple mobs. AOE's are easy to escape but when you're being attacked by 2+ mobs it's imperative that you keep moving.
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Darrett
    Darrett
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can block both heavy and light attacks if you like. You'll see no visual indicator showing a successful block on a light attack, but it will reduce the damage taken by a small amount. It uses far more stamina than you gain in damage reduction though, so it's not really worthwhile unless you're very low on life and are waiting to get a heal.

Generally you want to save blocking for special attacks and heavy attacks.
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    are you sure there is no visual indicator? I could swear there are green sparks on a successful block (heavy or otherwise)
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    contrary to what some people have said above, I *have* definitively seen a visual feedback with a successful block - I've been dual wielding, and I've blocked "light" (i.e. non build-up) attacks, and you get sparks and a clanging noise instead of a blood splash and a "umph". I've also successfully blocked incoming arrows and attacks with sword+board.

I have more-or-less discovered that you *can't* "reactively" block - you have to pre-emptively block. Once the enemy swing animation has begun, you will be hit (unless you're out of range), it seems - however, each enemy type tends to have a timing for their basic attacks. If you get that sense of timing down, you can begin your block *before* the attack animation begins, and you will successfully get a "clang" and sparks.

I can't vouch for how much damage it prevents, or the stamina cost, but it's fun when you get it work.
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    Thanks a lot that confirmed my suspicions, Just a shame that with an actiony game you cant do reactive blocking to normal light attacks!
  • peirceg
    peirceg
    just wondering if the inability to not reactively block light attacks is part of the game or a side effect of having high ping (relatively).