The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question for those doing daily crafting writs on multiple characters

MonkLoHan
MonkLoHan
✭✭✭
I've got 14 characters that I (try) to run crafting dailies on. I only have ONE who is completely maxed (my master crafter) but all others have little to no skill points in passive crafting abilities like "Metalworking" (Blacksmithing), "Tailoring" (Clothing), "Engraver" (Jewelry), etc. I am wondering, am I missing out by not putting points here on my other daily crafters? Their writs are all in iron, pewter, jute/rawhide.

Is it better to max out their basic crafting skills or just keep them at the low (iron, jute/rawhide, pewter) level?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get a better chance for Gold Tempers at Max Tier for Crafting Writs. You also only get Master Writs at the Top Tier.

So, yes, should max them out at least for Material Level. All other Crafting Passives are not needed.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Good to know. Wish I had put points on these characters a long time ago. Been just mainly doing it for the $ and surveys. Now Im kicking myself thinking about all of the MW and gold temps I could have had all this time.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I brought my alts up slowly. I would feed them Mob loot for decon through the bank and with any Intricates i would get from Writ rewards. It does not take all that long doing that.

Of course the 60 to 70 skill points needed for the material passives is the real hurdle. At least you dont need any points to decon for leveling. Although the Extraction Passives are nice to have during craft leveling.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• HedgeHugger
    HedgeHugger
    ✭✭✭
    There is also a negative side to having many crafters doing dailies at top tier. You burn through resources.
    On lower level crafters you gain back at least as much crafting materials as you are using. At top level you need to like doing surveys, or be prepared to spend on emergency materials :)

I have a mixture. I'd never keep up if all of mine were doing top level dailies.
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having all toons at max level in alchemy and provisioning also saves a lot of bank space if you pre-craft the potions and the food/drinks with your master crafter.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is also a negative side to having many crafters doing dailies at top tier. You burn through resources.
    On lower level crafters you gain back at least as much crafting materials as you are using. At top level you need to like doing surveys, or be prepared to spend on emergency materials :)

I have a mixture. I'd never keep up if all of mine were doing top level dailies.

At max level (accounting for the cost of materials) you can make about 1.6m per month/per character doing writs. At minimum level (accounting for the cost of materials again) you can make about 530k per month/per character doing writs.

You make 3x as much in value (from the higher chance of gold drops and master writs) doing them at maximum level versus doing them at minimum.

Math is in the spreadsheet in my signature.

tl dr. Do writs at maximum level.

Edit: This is on PC/NA, at PC/NA prices. They will obviously vary if you are on a different server
    Edited by tmbrinks on 7 July 2022 20:24
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • MonkLoHan
    MonkLoHan
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Math is in the spreadsheet in my signature.

tl dr. Do writs at maximum level.

Edit: This is on PC/NA, at PC/NA prices. They will obviously vary if you are on a different server

WOW!! Very very good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to put together that info.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do a mix of top and bottom levels, like hedgehugger. This is a deliberate choice on my end, even knowing the information that tmbrinks has posted here (which he's also shared in the past).
    The tradeoffs for me come down to me not wanting to spend the time on skill point acquisition for one, and how much shopping for materials irritates me. The other part of the equation is that I already generate enough gold materials for my own use, and I have more than enough gold for the few things I need to buy.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MonkLoHan wrote: »
    I've got 14 characters that I (try) to run crafting dailies on. I only have ONE who is completely maxed (my master crafter) but all others have little to no skill points in passive crafting abilities like "Metalworking" (Blacksmithing), "Tailoring" (Clothing), "Engraver" (Jewelry), etc. I am wondering, am I missing out by not putting points here on my other daily crafters? Their writs are all in iron, pewter, jute/rawhide.

Is it better to max out their basic crafting skills or just keep them at the low (iron, jute/rawhide, pewter) level?

Probably. It is a grind, but I had most/all of my PS4 alts up to max in all crafting (mats and research). I am working on that on the PC now and it will take a while.

I usually go for the 3rd level in each first, then to max. That means I need 2 types of raw mats for dailies. I buy max mats as needed and use surveys when I am low for the level 3 mats.

JC gets pushed up as it can, since it is so long to level!

I have read you get better rewards the higher you get and the Master Writs require maxing, but others can speak to that better than I can. Master Writs do sell fairly well.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In almost all crafts, you should be at either the very lowest level for materials or the very highest.

Advantages to being at the lowest level include:
    • Fewer skill points invested.
    • Cheap materials.
    • Best return of needed materials when you turn in a writ.

Advantages to being at the highest level include:
    • Best rewards.
    • (Sometimes) Cheaper materials than any other tier except the lowest.

• kingsirdrmr
    kingsirdrmr
    ✭✭✭
    I do the lowest level armor/jewelry writs and the highest level alchemy, enchanting, and provisioning writs since I craft a lot of gear for theorycrafting and it's useful for all my characters to be able to craft their own potions, poisons, and glyphs.
    For the Queen! | PC/NA, Cyrodiil, IC, Quests, CP 2000+[*] Tyaminal-rabi | Khajiiti Sorceress [*] Vita-rabi | Khajiiti Warden werewolf[*] Dr Good-and-Sexy | Argonian Warden[*] the Southern Mare | Redguard Necromancer[*] Sally Two-Horns | Orsimer Nightblade
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Craft in lowest mat tier if you only need the gold.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Craft in lowest mat tier if you only need the gold.

@tmbrinks has already debunked that.

But I see where you're coming from and agree with the following caveats: your don't have the skill points needed to max out your craft levels, don't yet have sufficient resources (mats or gold to buy them) to get started with max tier craft dailies or don't have a need/don't want gold tempers etc returned as rewards for turning in max level craft dailies.