The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The Gray Host

Bruccius
Bruccius
✭✭✭✭✭
So I know the whole 'Gray Host' ordeal is a bit old news right now, but I'm very curious about something. I was having a discussion in regards to the Dawnguard and Volkihar during the events of Dawnguard in Skyrim and it left me wondering, why didn't the Volkihar Vampires support the Gray Host? Were they not invited by the rulers of the Gray Host to join? Did they refuse? I think a character like Harkon would leap at the chance to increase his power.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bruccius wrote: »
    So I know the whole 'Gray Host' ordeal is a bit old news right now, but I'm very curious about something. I was having a discussion in regards to the Dawnguard and Volkihar during the events of Dawnguard in Skyrim and it left me wondering, why didn't the Volkihar Vampires support the Gray Host? Were they not invited by the rulers of the Gray Host to join? Did they refuse? I think a character like Harkon would leap at the chance to increase his power.

There was no reason to really do so, here is the thing though, Harkon was an avid Molag Bal worshiping vampire. The Gray Hosts entire purpose and storyline was to break that connection their kind had to Molag Bal in full. There are other reasons too, the Gray Host basically failed Molag Bal in the biggest way for all that power he granted to their army. They were able to be easily overcome by mortals and one man. Not to mention they had werewolves in their ranks. Harkon wasn't fond of their kind either. Being much more of a vampire purist.

The biggest factor to Harkon's survival is though he is an idiot for trying to block out the sun, he really isn't an idiot when it comes to surviving. He was one of the most paraniod and cruel vampires, possibly the most cruel and most paraniod one. Its mentioned he has had bouts of serious parania and had Castle Volkihar booby trapped to hamper intruders and slay them. So a vampire like that has no reason to help anyone. Especially not anyone who is on the bad side with Molag Bal. Nor those on the bad side of Molag Bal who could potentially be stronger then him in terms of power. Like Rada clearly was.
    There is many number of reasons why he didn't. But those would be the most obvious reasons.

PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding to what was already said, Harkon really has no reason to join them. Either they fail and leave behind a power vaccuum that he can fill (which is exactly what happened), or they succeed and vampires rule over mortals which also benefits him. He probably doesn't know their true goal of severing ties with Molag Bal, as we players had to go through some trouble to find out, so he wouldn't know about the whole respawning plan they had for their members, because I am sure he would have been interested in that to some degree at least. But then again he is also a Molag Bal worshipper so who knows what his opinion on that would be.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    Bruccius wrote: »

Grey Host became anti-Molag Bal after Hestra defeated them. They didn't get involved in Western Skyrim because I guess the devs kinda forgot about them because they should've done more then nothing as it makes zero sense for them to disappear in Hafingaar and have like no one working against the Grey Host like they could've helped the Ravenwatch purely because it would hurt the Grey Host.
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.