The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Accurate World Map - a map correction addon - is now out for BETA testing!

Vylaera
Vylaera
✭✭✭✭✭
If you've been following my thread titled "I remade the map - this time, everything is perfect" then you'll know that Thal-J and myself have been working on an addon that seeks to fix the Tamriel map and its various inaccuracies. This has been a long time coming and we're finally at a point where we can begin beta testing! We've used Nexus as the host for the beta simply because ESO UI requires a file uploaded before a page can be made, and we wanted to have the page already prepared for release so all we'd need to do is upload the file and publish. The Addon will release after the Beta concludes on both ESO UI and Nexusmods, and will work through Minion as well. We aim to release the mod fully in time for the release of the High Isle Chapter, ideally the morning the patch goes live, so you can start this year's story off right.

The beta can be found here:
https://www.nexusmods.com/elderscrollsonline/mods/187

In case you aren't familiar with what we've been working on, I'll provide a brief summary here:
  • Entire map redrawn from scratch with no trace of the vanilla map left
  • All zones have been slightly edited to be consistent with their zone maps
  • The coastlines where zones don't currently exist have been given extra detail and reshaped to align with the Anthology map. Some Inspiration from Tamriel Rebuilt was taken for Morrowind.
  • The entire map, zones included, has been changed to better reflect the shape of Tamriel and positioning of cities and landmarks (like Eastmarch and Stormhold) on the Anthology Map
  • A new Eltheric Ocean map has been added so that the Systres (High Isle, Amenos, and Galen) can be properly placed according to prior maps
  • and much, much more. For more details, including a full changelog, definitely head over to the forum thread and give it a read! We also have the changelog on the Nexus page.

We would appreciate any feedback and bug reports so we can get this addon perfect to ship. You can comment here or on the nexus page, whichever you prefer, as we'll be reading through both.

Before and After gif comparison:
accurate_world_map_comparison.gif

KNOWN ISSUES:
As this is a beta, we have a few issues to iron out still. here is a compendium of the known issues. New issues reported will be added to this list as testers report them.
  • Occasionally on gamepad, blobs may disappear briefly after you alt-tab. Opening your inventory and waiting a few seconds will fix the issue. Alt tabbing and tabbing back in my also fix the issue.
  • On gamepad, clicking out a level from the Eltheric Ocean will take you to Reaper's March.
  • The blobs are missing for Sword's Rest Isle and Dreadsail Reef. These had not yet been implemented.
  • Trying to click into High Isle or Amenos on the Eltheric Map may turn your map black. This is because these zones do not exist in game yet. Closing the map and reopening will fix this issue.
  • Player positions and waypoints will be in the wrong place, where they would normally be in vanilla. This is intentional as the libraries this feature depends on haven't been updated yet. This feature will work automatically when the necessary library dependencies have been updated.
  • A few spelling errors in the Zone Descriptions have been reported. We had planned to rewrite those once the beta was out, so keep in mind these are all temporary.
  • The zone description background shadow (to make text more legible) may bug out and display improperly on the M&K version of the map. This is not an issue for gamepad.
  • Whenever you right click to go to a different map, if your cursor finds itself on an existing hitbox, the hitbox and blob won't work. You have to move the cursor entirely off of the hitbox.

map_collage.jpg
The Eltheric, Tamriel, and Aurbis (wip) Maps in our addon
Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on 2 June 2022 17:40
Vy • lae • ra
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is *gorgeous*. I'm going to wait until it's out on ESOUI for ease of use, but I am so incredibly hyped for this. You guys have absolutely blown this out of the water. The inclusion of a submap for the Eltheric Ocean? Superb.
  • Meredy
    Meredy
    ✭✭✭
    I tested in and I came across a couple bugs.

-whenever you right click to go to a different map, if your cursor finds itself on an existing hitbox, the hitbox and blob won't work. You have to move the cursor entirely off of the hitbox.

-not neccesarily a bug but the map seemed to be a little noisier when zooming in and out. May have to do with the resolution.

Furthermore it's really neat and I recommend everyone reading this to download the mod for themselves.
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks so good! Wish I had this on console
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meredy wrote: »
    -not neccesarily a bug but the map seemed to be a little noisier when zooming in and out. May have to do with the resolution.
    Yes, this is a tough issue that I wanted to take the opportunity to comment on publicly. There's a technical reason for this that I'll explain here.

I call it "shimmering" because it looks like it shimmers when you zoom in and out, and it's because the map tiles do not have mipmaps. Which to put very simply, mipmaps are secondary, lower resolution, and compressed textures that the game automatically swaps out seamlessly when a texture is viewed from a distance or is zoomed out on.

The problem is that when mipmaps were generated, it caused the map to lag really bad. So I disabled them. Unfortunately, the shimmering is a byproduct of this because the map is loading at full resolution when zoomed all the way out, which causes your screen to fight over which pixel to display, so they're constantly changing as the screen updates.

We are looking at options to alleviate or fix this issue, and I'll keep you all updated on this issue as well as all the other issues we've had reported.

And thank you again for testing and submitting feedback!
    Vy • lae • ra
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder if it would be within the scope of the addon to organize the names of locations by province.
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do wonder if it would be within the scope of the addon to organize the names of locations by province.

like in the side menu filter thing? It could be possible, though I'm not sure. Thal is asleep, I told him to pat himself on the back and take a break since we've been hard at work these past few weeks to get everything done, so I'll ask him about it when he wakes up.

As far as provinces being visible on the map, it is something I was looking into as an optional map style in the future, though nothing solid yet. I've had quite a few idea for different map styles to really customize the addon to your tastes, but we were much more focused on getting everything ready for the vanilla style map to ship. Any additional options will come after launch.
    Vy • lae • ra
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE this addon so much! This is my favorite addon of all time, 100%!!!!!

I highly appreciate the time and effort you put in to this, i thank you so much!

I only have 1 bug to report and that being what Meredy mentioned.

"-whenever you right click to go to a different map, if your cursor finds itself on an existing hitbox, the hitbox and blob won't work. You have to move the cursor entirely off of the hitbox."

This is my only minor complaint with this.

I still can't get over how AWESOME this addon is, holy moly thank you thank you thank you!
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE this addon so much! This is my favorite addon of all time, 100%!!!!!

I highly appreciate the time and effort you put in to this, i thank you so much!

I only have 1 bug to report and that being what Meredy mentioned.

"-whenever you right click to go to a different map, if your cursor finds itself on an existing hitbox, the hitbox and blob won't work. You have to move the cursor entirely off of the hitbox."

This is my only minor complaint with this.

I still can't get over how AWESOME this addon is, holy moly thank you thank you thank you!

Thank you for the kind words, and thank you for the report! I'll add it to the list and we'll start looking into it as son as we can.
    Vy • lae • ra
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vylaera wrote: »

like in the side menu filter thing? It could be possible, though I'm not sure. Thal is asleep, I told him to pat himself on the back and take a break since we've been hard at work these past few weeks to get everything done, so I'll ask him about it when he wakes up.

As far as provinces being visible on the map, it is something I was looking into as an optional map style in the future, though nothing solid yet. I've had quite a few idea for different map styles to really customize the addon to your tastes, but we were much more focused on getting everything ready for the vanilla style map to ship. Any additional options will come after launch.

Well the current locations list as it stands is very unorganized.
  • Thal_J
    Thal_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well the current locations list as it stands is very unorganized.

@TX12001rwb17_ESO Have you tried Votan's Improved Locations? It splits the location tab into alliance (not province), but it works with AccurateWorldMap.

image.png
    Edited by Thal_J on 31 May 2022 12:54
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legitimately an add-on that I am super jealous the PC players will get to have:(

ZOS should really fix their map.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is absolutely marvelous! So many years playing, with a map just a bit "off" - I'm blown away by the work you two have done with this!

The only thing I've had any issues with (and this may not be precisely a bug) is that once I've right clicked out to the Aurbis map, in order to get a zone to highlight in order to left click said zone to zoom, I sometimes have to click outside the map in order to have it highlight properly. I'd say this is happening only about 10% of the time, and not equally on PC NA and EU - it's actually more prevalent on NA.

And this could simply be something on my end alone. In any case, thank you both for all your efforts with this addon, it's a very important part of immersion for me!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to make the zones colored like their zoomed in counterparts. Would be a neat option
  • Vinterskald
    Vinterskald
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of the idea!! I honestly think y'all are wizards for coming up with a way to implement this, and for taking the time to work on a beautiful map like this.

One thing I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of is that you decided to go with a post-Red Year map for Morrowind, so Vivec has already been squished. But that's a minor gripe.

I didn't really get far into testing, because my map looks like this:35fbcfb7b6bb6b451fdca39a78d928f01e56c532.png

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I thought it would just take a while to start up, but waiting, reloading, and relogging didn't fix it. :cry: Might it be related to client language? The addon shows up fine in the addon settings, at least.
    Barra agea ry sou karan.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing it come out of Beta.
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of is that you decided to go with a post-Red Year map for Morrowind, so Vivec has already been squished. But that's a minor gripe.
    It's not a 4th Era map, you can't see vivec on the map because the intention is that it's lore scale, where you wouldn't be able to see the city and its individual cantons from orbit at real scale. I didn't put any man-made structures on the map for this reason, vivec included.
    Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I thought it would just take a while to start up, but waiting, reloading, and relogging didn't fix it. :cry: Might it be related to client language? The addon shows up fine in the addon settings, at least.
    As for this, Thal might be able to speak more about it. I'm not sure why the map wouldn't be visible.
    Edited by Vylaera on 31 May 2022 17:29
    Vy • lae • ra
  • Thal_J
    Thal_J
    ✭✭✭✭

I didn't really get far into testing, because my map looks like this:35fbcfb7b6bb6b451fdca39a78d928f01e56c532.png

@Vinterskald you need to completely close the game and relaunch it for it to install correctly, what's happening here is that the map textures haven't loaded because you installed the addon while the game was still running. (This was stated in the Nexus page)

as for:

The map is a 2nd era one, Vivec isnt visible because for this map we've decided that no cities should be visible, just landmass.

• DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see this on minion
  • Vinterskald
    Vinterskald
    ✭✭✭
    Thal_J wrote: »
    you need to completely close the game and relaunch it for it to install correctly, what's happening here is that the map textures haven't loaded because you installed the addon while the game was still running. (This was stated in the Nexus page)

I see, thanks for adding that to the Nexus page now, it wasn't there when I installed it. It worked fine after a restart.
    Barra agea ry sou karan.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well done @Vylaera and @Thal_J
    XqhVAA7.gif
    Edited by redlink1979 on 31 May 2022 18:32
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Legitimately an add-on that I am super jealous the PC players will get to have:(

The map zos uses is similar to older world maps that were made in their era to keep it realistic for the times.The newer one isn't as lore friendly cause it's too accurate for the times,so better for some ppl's use,not everyone.Also,depending on texture sizes,it can be less resource friendly to lower,and/or mid end PCs like mine(gtx650 1gb/phenom II x4 965),lol.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is amazing! ZOS should seriously pay you guys to make this the official map!
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

The map zos uses is similar to older world maps that were made in their era to keep it realistic for the times.The newer one isn't as lore friendly cause it's too accurate for the times,so better for some ppl's use,not everyone.Also,depending on texture sizes,it can be less resource friendly to lower,and/or mid end PCs like mine(gtx650 1gb/phenom II x4 965),lol.

Yeah people might have issues running a game in 2022 on a *squints* 10 year old GPU. Bonkers.

Also I love the implication that 5000 year old civilizations haven't figured out what the coastlines of their homelands look like. In Europe, for example, we'd only really been sailing with good tools for about 1000 years and we had extremely accurate maps before we gained satellite assistance. Multiply that sailing cumulative knowledge by 5 and you would absolutely have near-perfect maps. This is not lore breaking at all. Also you can't forget that the developers themselves said the map is outright wrong lol.
    Vy • lae • ra
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a 1794 map depicting ancient Greece.
    1794_Anville_Map_of_Ancient_Greece_-_Geographicus_-_GreeceAncient-anville-1794.jpg
    (link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1794_Anville_Map_of_Ancient_Greece_-_Geographicus_-_GreeceAncient-anville-1794.jpg )

Here's a modern satellite map of Greece.
    Greece-map-boundaries-cities-locator.jpg

Satellites obviously didn't exist in 1794, so aliens must've done it, how else would they know how it looked??? They can't possibly figure it out on their own by sailing around it and making maps of it for two and a half thousand years! /s
    Edited by Vylaera on 31 May 2022 22:31
    Vy • lae • ra
  • EnerG
    EnerG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this, will download once esoui uploaded, the terrible map and reigon mapping that zos has made makes me sooooo angry,
  • chris25602
    chris25602
    ✭✭✭
    yup just * thumb twedeling* until its on esoui
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You rock, guys. Can't wait for the final release! Downloaded Beta after my initial try of GitHub version and bumped into this error. The one that hides ui and causes menu tabs refusing to show up (something like that crown crate menu bug when you can't roll but can't leave either).

Log:
    user:/AddOns/AccurateWorldMap/AccurateWorldMap.lua:370: attempt to index a nil value
    stack traceback:
    user:/AddOns/AccurateWorldMap/AccurateWorldMap.lua:370: in function '(anonymous)'
    (tail call): ?
    /EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:321: in function 'GetKeybindDescriptorDebugIdentifier'
    |caaaaaa<Locals> keybindButtonDescriptor = [table:1]{keybind = "UI_SHORTCUT_TERTIARY"} </Locals>|r
    /EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:334: in function 'ZO_KeybindStrip:HandleDuplicateAddKeybind'
    |caaaaaa<Locals> self = [table:2]{batchUpdating = T, insertionId = 5, allowDefaultExit = T}, existingButtonOrEtherealDescriptor = ud, keybindButtonDescriptor = [table:1], currentSceneName = "worldMap", existingDescriptor = [table:3]{addedForSceneName = "worldMap", keybind = "UI_SHORTCUT_TERTIARY"}, existingSceneName = "worldMap", existingDescriptorIdentifier = "Set Destination" </Locals>|r
    /EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:382: in function 'ZO_KeybindStrip:AddKeybindButton'
    |caaaaaa<Locals> self = [table:2], keybindButtonDescriptor = [table:1], currentSceneName = "worldMap", existingButtonOrEtherealDescriptor = ud </Locals>|r
    /EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_KeybindStrip/ZO_KeybindStrip.lua:574: in function 'ZO_KeybindStrip:AddKeybindButtonGroup'
    |caaaaaa<Locals> self = [table:2], keybindButtonGroupDescriptor = [table:4]{alignment = 2}, i = 1, keybindButtonDescriptor = [table:1] </Locals>|r
    user:/AddOns/AccurateWorldMap/AccurateWorldMap.lua:377: in function 'main'

I have a lot of addons, some of them are ancient but somewhat still working, so it might be because of them. But none of them seem to be the cause of backfire according to the log. Destinations was off during testing.
    What I did for this to happen is open the map, zoom in and out, clicked some zones, go back to the main map, stayed in it for a while and during that Esc no longer worked to leave the map and menus. One time it was after porting to one wayshrine from another.
  • AntonShan
    AntonShan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great addon but I'm having an issue - after a while when I open Champion Points my game hangs. First time it happens for a brief moment, but than more times I do that, than worse it becomes. I can provide any needed information regarding my client if necessary
  • Thal_J
    Thal_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    AntonShan wrote: »
    Great addon but I'm having an issue - after a while when I open Champion Points my game hangs. First time it happens for a brief moment, but than more times I do that, than worse it becomes. I can provide any needed information regarding my client if necessary

what addons do you have and what happened to cause the hang?
  • AntonShan
    AntonShan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thal_J wrote: »
    AntonShan wrote: »

what addons do you have and what happened to cause the hang?

I this this is the list of addons I'm using on at least one of problematic characters. AccurateWorldMap is not here because I disabled it
    Auto Recharge
    AutoCategory
    AwesomeGuildStore
    Azurah
    BeamMeUp
    BugCatcher
    Character Knowledge
    Code's Combat Alerts
    CombatMetrics
    CraftStore
    DarkUI v2.71
    Display Leads