The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tamriel Trade Center no longer works... unless if you disable ad-blocker

RaikaNA
RaikaNA
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there an alternative addon that works similarly to TTC? Unfortunately, This addon is no longer functional to me due to the fact that each time I visit the website I'm constantly getting harassed by the site with the following message:

y17aoel7nlir.png

I can understand that the site needs $$$$ to keep the site going, but I don't agree with forcing people to disable their adblockers approach so I'm hoping that theirs an alternative source.
Edited by Psiion on 3 June 2022 02:50
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    if you're not on console, then you can add the TTC add-on instead, which'll show prices to some extent without ads. Of course this lacks the search function. But I agree, I'd also like to use a different site for the same reason. Nothing against TTC, but the ads I'm getting look entirely like either tailored to me (so stuff I already know about and hate seeing ads for), or like games or scams that there's no way I'll ever click on.

Like I get it. But heavy handed methods like that are what gets people to stop visiting a site. I'm far more likely to donate to a service like this if there are no ads than I am to disable my ads. And I have in the past. But I don't have disposable income, so I'd rather just find a different service plus I don't donate to services that use this heavy handed method. It's like going into an article, and the article saying "Hey disable adblocker to see this article!" lol not gonna happen.
    Edited by merpins on 27 May 2022 08:40
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent literally hours trying different browser extensions to block their dang popup about adblocking. I finally found one that works to remove the popup…. But it makes the whole website unusable because they’re using Java or something similar for the popup and the majority of the rest of the site. So blocking the popup blocks a lot of other things, too.

I’m pretty peeved about their way of going about this.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firefox here, it works with uBlock Origin with latest filters. There are two things that triggered adblock detection for me:
    * Strict mode in Firefox (add exception for TTC website)
    * Privacy Badger extension (change its settings to block only cookies for "pagead2.googlesyndication.com" instead of blocking whole domain)
    Edited by perfiction on 27 May 2022 09:52
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    every time i see one of those fullscreen "turn off your adblockers" i just use the browsers dev tools and manually turn that off so i can still use the site lol (can be easy or difficult depending on how the site is set up) (of course you have to do this every time the page reloads, but it can help if you just wanted to do a quick search)

i intensely dislike forced ads of any kind, and refuse to turn off my adblocker for that garbage
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent literally hours trying different browser extensions to block their dang popup about adblocking. I finally found one that works to remove the popup…. But it makes the whole website unusable because they’re using Java or something similar for the popup and the majority of the rest of the site. So blocking the popup blocks a lot of other things, too.

I’m pretty peeved about their way of going about this.

my guess is you got an addon that disables javascript, which would work to remove the popup, but also would remove everything else on the site that uses javascript (likely vast majority of the site)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can disable adblocker for a specific site. I still use adblocker for majority of websites, while disabling it for specific ones like TTC or Mapgenie.
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take on TTC is that it is their site, and this is how they now want to run it.

Since they made this change, I look up items list prices on Discord, several of the social guilds I belong to have a tab that lets you type something like !price motif 107 and get a listing of minimum, average, maximum price from TTC for that item.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to disable my adblocker on sites that I support. Nothing is free and servers and bandwidth cost a lot. Unfortunately the vast majority of people will not donate a single dime to sites they like which makes ads something we have to live with if we want all the cool stuff. I absolutely think not having ads once you have paid or donated some cash is a reasonable expectation.

I am far more concerned about trackers and fingerprinting than a sidebar full of ads.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use AdBlock (Firefox browser) and yet TTC website still asks me to disable it... but I can't disable it since I don't have it in a 1st place lol... So TTC is kinda useless now for me, unless I will use MS Edge or other browser... I Guess TTC creators are kinda paranoid LOL...

Edit:
    perfiction wrote: »
    Firefox here, it works with uBlock Origin with latest filters. There are two things that triggered adblock detection for me:
    * Strict mode in Firefox (add exception for TTC website)
    * Privacy Badger extension (change its settings to block only cookies for "pagead2.googlesyndication.com" instead of blocking whole domain)

Yep, it was Strict mode.

On one device (laptop) I have Firefox with Addblock enabled. However, Disableing Addblock for the specific website (TTC) worked. On my desktop however, I did not had AddBlock, but TTC was saying that I have it (Odd). But I found out that my Privacy and security settings in Firefox setting were set to "Custom" (I did not even knew those setting were there tbh).

After switching to Standard (I guess that is the default setting, since I have it set by default on my laptop) - it all works again.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on 27 May 2022 19:38
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaikaNA wrote: »
    Is there an alternative addon that works similarly to TTC? Unfortunately, This addon is no longer functional to me due to the fact that each time I visit the website I'm constantly getting harassed by the site with the following message:

y17aoel7nlir.png

I can understand that the site needs $$$$ to keep the site going, but I don't agree with forcing people to disable their adblockers approach so I'm hoping that theirs an alternative source.

I installed another Browser specifically to use for TTC's website.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s no big deal. In my opinion, TTC has provided a free, extremely helpful add on that the community enjoys using. They deserve to be rewarded financially for it.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    It’s no big deal. In my opinion, TTC has provided a free, extremely helpful add on that the community enjoys using. They deserve to be rewarded financially for it.
    Tbh. I kinda wish that every website had same amount of Adds as TTC has (1 - 3 banners). That way Addblocks would not be needed in a 1st place.

At some point it simply went too far and every website nowadays has soo many of them (adds), with pop-ups, videos, sound etc... and it slows my laptop down... substantially. That is why I use Addblock on my laptop... not because I hate adds...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on 27 May 2022 20:50
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. I kinda wish that every website had same amount of Adds as TTC has (1 - 3 banners). That way Addblocks would not be needed in a 1st place.

At some point it simply went too far and every website nowadays has soo many of them (adds), with pop-ups, videos, sound etc... and it slows my laptop down... substantially. That is why I use Addblock on my laptop... not because I hate adds...

I agree. I don't mind the ones on TTC, but it drives me mad when sites have flickering ads down the side or embedded in the text, videos that won't stop and move down the page to cover whatever you're trying to look at, seemingly endless notifications about adding it to your favourites, getting emails etc. etc.

My rule of thumb is I'll close/reject 2 things and if there's more than 2 or I can't get rid of them I'll find another website.
    Edited by Danikat on 28 May 2022 21:56
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    RaikaNA wrote: »

They provided an alternative that is essentially subscribing. With your understanding that some $$ is needed to keep the site going, I would expect the alternative is acceptable as it allows disabling adds.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, I initially turned on an adblocker because I use my own site and the ad company would reduce my income a little bit each month for my views. That's when I noticed the TTC message.

As a content creator with a website, I was intrigued by the addition of TTC's adblocker notice.

Ads are a great way for people to support your site for free. Unfortunately, the ad services really push more ads and more visible ads to be profitable. I've been frustrated with my limited control over the selection of ads and number of ads that appear on my site. I more or less have to turn the ad load slider down.

I find it a juggling act. When a site's revenue is dependent on ads, the more people using ad blockers, the less money you get. If you don't meet the ad services threshold totals for the month, you don't get any revenue until you do.

It's good to see that TTC is looking at alternatives. I'd hate to see the site go away.

Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It also has pop-up ads. If it didn't have those, I'd agree. But I cannot agree with pop-up ads.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...wretched move....everyone in my guilds is pissed off. Any other sites like this....since, now we know where the dev's head is at.
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, I initially turned on an adblocker because I use my own site and the ad company would reduce my income a little bit each month for my views. That's when I noticed the TTC message.

As a content creator with a website, I was intrigued by the addition of TTC's adblocker notice.

Ads are a great way for people to support your site for free. Unfortunately, the ad services really push more ads and more visible ads to be profitable. I've been frustrated with my limited control over the selection of ads and number of ads that appear on my site. I more or less have to turn the ad load slider down.

I find it a juggling act. When a site's revenue is dependent on ads, the more people using ad blockers, the less money you get. If you don't meet the ad services threshold totals for the month, you don't get any revenue until you do.

It's good to see that TTC is looking at alternatives. I'd hate to see the site go away.

I don't mind supporting the site with casual clicks and there, but I expect the webmaster to have full control over what gets put in the ads... It is the webmaster's responsibility to protect their visitors. lack of control is alarming to me... especially since I've dealt with having both virus and tons of malware in the past. It's a pain in the ass cleaning your hard drive and making sure that it's free of viruses and malwares.
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ingenon wrote: »
    My take on TTC is that it is their site, and this is how they now want to run it.

Since they made this change, I look up items list prices on Discord, several of the social guilds I belong to have a tab that lets you type something like !price motif 107 and get a listing of minimum, average, maximum price from TTC for that item.

You're right.. it's their site and they can do whatever they want with it... however, I am hoping that an inspiring developer can capitalize on it by developing a competitive source.. As of right now, TTC has no competitors out there that are trying to compete with them.
  • cyx54tc
    cyx54tc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright it feels like I need to explain the situation here a bit. So I started TTC 7 years ago, built an addon + website for everyone to use for FREE. I have quit the game for more than 4 years already but I am still maintaining the site using lots of my free time.

The business model is simple. People uses the addon to collect data and the website's ad revenue will keep the whole project going. From day 1 I already knew people are using ad blockers and the percentage is not low. But I wanted to believe in people, I wanted to believe people will help the project they really love so I did not force ads for the past 7 years.

I have tried like 5 different banners to explain the situation and the need for Ad revenue to keep the project alive. But 7 years past and the result was pretty disappointing. Percentage of ad block users went up significantly and the number of people who donated was less than 0.02% of the entire user base.

The donation I have collected over the course of the past 7 years was just barely able to pay for 2 years of the server's cost. If everyone was using adblocker it will mean that I would have paid 5 figures out of my own pocket in additional to all the free time I have spend to maintain and develop this project.

Based on the growth rate of adblock users I will probably have to shutdown the entire project in about 2 years from now. So there are only 2 options before me if I do not want that to happen

1. Force ads on everyone and allow people to sub for ad free content
    2. I start selling the data by offering premium(paid) customers access to real time API when a cheap item is made available.

I do not like the level of P2W #2 brings even though it will probably yield me much higher revenue compared to #1

It was a hard decision but something has to be done. Prior to turning the anti-ad block wall on I further reduced the ad load (slider is lowered to about 20% mark) and made the change so that you will never see more than 2 ads on your screen (1 for smaller screen) and there are at most 3 ads per page (2 for small screen). Full page ads are set to about <1% chance of appearing. Regular users shouldn't see the full screen ad more than once per day.

So please. I am not asking for too much. Having some ads on your screen is not the end of world but no ads will be the end of TTC.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @cyx54tc I appreciate your work and your website is whitelisted in my browser.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTC website has only 1 add for me (site is whitelisted in ublock), there is a lot of free space on the left:
    3i0bdepf9eqi.png
    I'd add a 2nd or even a third add (on top) to keep the project running, way better than shutting down the only auction system ESO has.

My income is also based on ads on youtube. Not sure how many of viewers have adblocks, but my income recently became so low i no longer even get paid monthly.
    Edited by ixthUA on 28 May 2022 21:51
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is an example of why I use multiple browsers.

Firefox: Most sites. NoScript and ad blocker protection.

Microsoft: Sites that just don't work with the protections I have in Firefox. TTC is one of those. Nothing that I'd be terribly unhappy with consumer marketers tracking.

Chrome: GMail, plus whatever happens to be opened from there, plus a few sites that don't work with the Firefox protections but might be sensitive. (If Google is too evil, I'm lost anyway, because my mail goes through them.)
  • kevkj
    kevkj
    ✭✭✭✭
    @cyx54tc Is there any way on your side to prevent popup ads? I'm grateful for the service you provide and have happily whitelisted ttc, but the full page popups are annoying.
  • Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good opportunity for people like @Alcast or other content creators to get their own version of the addon/site up running, without gigantic adds advertising for gold selling websites.
  • Marcusorion1
    Marcusorion1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I followed the instructions for the ad blocking changes and can see the site info, search the site and I do see the ads but I am unable to see my own items being posted for sale. TTC client indicates that they are posted but the site does not display them
    Deleted and re-installed the add on and libraries - no change
    scanned the items in the guild store, all successfully updated , no issues
    PC NA firefox browser

anyone else having this problem? You can access the site fine but can not see your own items for sale?
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    not a issue, its literally a image of some advert down the right side and a banner on top. adblock extension on chrome and just allow this website
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any suggestions for what to do if I'm not using an add blocker (not just on TTC, I don't have one at all) but can't use TTC because when I search for an item it just gets to the 'checking for adblock' step then sits there indefinitely, never actually loading the page?

It's doing it in both Firefox and Chrome, neither have any addons or anything installed, so I'm not sure what I could do to get it working, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • GrizzlyTank
    GrizzlyTank
    ✭✭✭
    Forced adds are always an issue.
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've disabled my adblock. Now I have this issue.g5puaor8hvd3.jpg

But TTC website asked me to share my personal data, also for third parts. It was not a choice, clearly.
    I have removed all flags, and now I cannot access TTC website anymore.
    I disabled my adblock. That wasn't enough for the author...
    What do you want ?
    My personal data to share around ????????
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
This discussion has been closed.