The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Loremaster’s Archive Q&A- Bretons of the Systres Archipelago (High Isle and Amenos)

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Hello ESO lorehounds!

We are very happy to announce a new Loremaster’s Archive Q&A, but we need your help! For this edition, we’ve asked Lady Arabelle herself to answer some of your questions surrounding the Bretons of the Systres Archipelago (High Isle and Amenos). If you have a lore question on this specific topic, please submit it in this thread. Please be sure to keep your questions related to the Second Era or earlier.

Note that due to volume, we won’t be able to answer every question submitted. In addition, please keep your submissions to no more than 2-3 lines max and on topic, lest our overworked editors be forced to make some clumsy cuts!

In about a week, Lady Arabelle will select which questions she is able to answer, and we’ll aim to publish them on the official ESO website in May. Have at it!

giphy.gif
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on 4 January 2023 16:58
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for taking the time to do this Loremaster Archive! I really appreciate the lore team for expanding on Breton culture.
    1. Despite being regarded as one of the most magically inclined races in Tamriel, the Bretons appear to lack legendary mages (or druids) that could match the likes of Divayth Fyr, Shalidor, or Vanus Galerion. The mysterious Azra Nightwielder's race remains unknown - is it possible he is one such remarkable Breton? If not him, then who?
    2. I've always been fascinated with the holy knight Eleidon from Bretonic Legends. However, Information on him is sparse on the mainland and the Systres. All I'm aware of is the story of him rescuing a baron's daughter, which led to him being bestowed the artifact Eleidon's Ward. Can you please tell me some historical details about this knight?
    3. The triquetra is a symbol prominently used by all of Breton kind. What does this symbol represent? Does it symbolize the three-way split of what makes up Bretondom: The Druids, Wyrd, and city-folk Bretons, or perhaps the joining of Merethic and Mannish blood to create Manmer?

—Aliyavana, member of Clan Direnni and the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits
    Edited by Aliyavana on 26 April 2022 22:11
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ((Thank you so so much for doing this Q&A!))

Esteemed Lady Arabelle,

What rights does the Rights Charter grant to citizens of Breton lands like the Systres? Does it protect the freedom we idolize, and is this why we can freely express ourselves or rebuke nobility and royalty without legal consequence? Is this why we allow benign Daedra worship if such venerations are kept quiet and not openly advocated?

And what about our legal process? Is our Charter why convictions require evidence or reliable testimony, and why even lowborn receive trials if not for vigilantism? I have heard troubling rumors of abuses on Amenos and I assume some rulers are corrupt, but since other races consider us Bretons intelligent, I wonder if our reputation stems from our legal protections.

Lastly, a silly query, but since people say "aged like a Breton," does the power of our honored Direnni blood make us longer-lived than the races of Man? If Men live to be one hundred and Mer two to three times that, what is our normal life expectancy?

—Andrea Beaufort, Author/Scholar and member of the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits

Edited by BlissfulDeluge on 29 April 2022 17:41
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    might be fun to do some type of RP here:

Rime Frostwar asks: How similar are the druids to us Wardens, any crazy theories? Do you think there's some sort of connection to my group?
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on 22 April 2022 13:55
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Inari Telvanni
    Inari Telvanni
    ✭✭✭
    Triune Grace and Good Tidings, Most Esteemed Lady Arabelle.
    It has come to my attention the Systres were once what the Sinistrals called home. How has that influenced the culture of the Druids living on this archipelago, if at all? Furthermore, these islands seem to be rather close to Thras, unless my maps are somehow incorrect. Are Sload a concern?

Sincerely, Inari of Great House Telvanni
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What other foods do the Bretons of High Isle eat apart from crabs - and possibly sunflower seeds?

This one has been able to ascertain very little as to the style of their cuisine from her travels there so far.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • omnimuffin
    omnimuffin
    ✭✭
    Why do the inhabitants of the Systres seem to universally say 'Y'ffre' instead of the proper Breto-Altmeri 'Jephre'?
  • Cosmo_Nova
    Cosmo_Nova
    ✭✭✭
    When did Bretons first settle the Systres? How impactful of a Direnni influence was there on the first settlers, and how has the culture of the archipelago historically been affected by the shift of power from elven to human hands?
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES!!!

*coughs*

To the Esteemed Lady Arabelle,

In the interest of promoting common ground between the Alliances, I wish to enquire as to the existence and impact of any Nedic tribes in the history of the Systres Archipelago. If such influence exists, are you aware of which tribes and any historical sites of interest?

Respectful Regards,
    First Emissary Rohais, Craglorn Embassy
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • BlueDragon90
    BlueDragon90
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much for doing this Q&A

I have some points regarding Bretons in The Systres that I hope you can elaborate the lore behind: The Systres seems a strange place to be occupied by bretons since it's far from High Rock & closer to Hammerfell & Summerset. even if we ignore that point, it seem strange it wasn't previously attacked by Redguard (before formation of DC) considering animosity between the 2 nations nor that it hadn't been attacked by the Altmer considering its close proximity to their is land & its location could being used as a base to launch attacks on Summerset. Also the islands are close to Thras so it's a miracle it's not under consistent attacks by the Sloads

so in other words: can you explain when Bretons 1st came to the Systres Isles, how did they manage to construct a foothold there while avoiding nearby hostile forces (Hammerfall, Summerset & Thras) especially since it's far from High Rock & how did The Systres not come under attack by AD during Three Banners War?
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes Hadolids unique from Dreugh?
    We know the latter has an established culture and history as seen in the Sermons of Vivec, but I'm interested to know how the Hadolids differentiate themselves from the Dreugh. Have these two groups interacted much, and do they have a history of conflict?
    Edited by Vylaera on 22 April 2022 14:44
    Vy • lae • ra
  • CoolBlast3
    CoolBlast3
    ✭✭✭✭
    This sounds fun! Will do my question in RP format!

To Lady Arabelle

I am called a witch by many, but I remember still my druidic roots. However, I wonder. Do the Druids of High Isle remember the Old Gods still? The likes of Raen, Q'Olwen, Vigryl, Druaaga and many others? The worship of these has stagnated in the mainland, but I've always wanted to know if they're still out there, somewhere.
    Furthermore, do the Druids of High Isle follow also the Bretonic beliefs of The Light and the Dark? Or is that something reserved only to us mainlanders?
    Any answers would be appreciated.

Yours truly,
    Lady Eleanor Faucher, Guardian of the Restless Woods

Lore sources:
    Light and the Dark
    Daggerfall Gods
    Edited by CoolBlast3 on 22 April 2022 15:33
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend from discord asks

"In the Isle we learn that a soulrazer knight is an animated suit of armor, fueled by necromantic magic. Does that mean Necromancy can animate pretty much anything, other than corpses and cadavers?

-Boots, local resident Necromancer of the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits"
    Vy • lae • ra
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :o

To The Esteemed Lady Arabelle,

As I understand, the Duchy of the Systres is held by House Dufort; a subject to the Kingdom of Wayrest and thus High King Emeric. What remains unclear to me is the precise status of House Mornard - am I correctly informed they have been reduced to a mere County beholden to the Duforts? - and it's exact status in the war.

As a subject of the Crown of Wayrest, I presume they have been called to arms as any other. How then does the Covenant hold a bastion so close to the Summerset Isle given the strength of the Altmeri Fleet?

I thank you in advance.

Atria Khorist
    Scholar and Officer of the Ashen Crows Mercenary Company
    Edited by Jazraena on 22 April 2022 14:48
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excited to read all the answers, been a while since the last Q&A, and I've always missed being able to ask a question, so I'm grateful to have the opportunity.

Question:
    If the Druids were fleeing the Direnni, then would the ones who first made it to the island be considered more Nedic than Breton? Or did the Druids flee after the Direnni started "intermingling" in order to create the Breton race we know now?
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Adzer2
    Adzer2
    ✭✭✭
    Given the Islands proximity to Summerset Isles, is there any influence of the Thalmor or even evidence of Daedric worship in the Systres Isles?
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Characters:
    Adzer - Breton Templar
    Thorgon Stormcaller - Nord Dragonknight
    Elrond Smeagol - High Elf Sorceror
    Akorithi Sendu - Redguard Nightblade
    Miraak Icelight - Nord Warden
    Father Dori - Breton Templar
    Argo - Argonian Dragonknight
  • Cerulione
    Cerulione
    ✭✭✭
    How does being fully surrounded geographically by sea (instead of land) affect the local Breton (and general High Isle population)'s culture in comparison to other High Rock area such as Glenumbra, Stormhaven and Rivenspire?

@Cerulione - PC/EU - housing enthusiast, forever magden
    Open House List:

Bouldertree Refuge: Bag End, a hobbit's hole
    Seaveil Spire: Summer Seahouse
    Amaya Lake Lodge: Diagon Alley
    Pantherfang Chapel: Studio Ghibli's Spirited Away
    Autumn's Gate: Autumnal Mountain Lodge
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Lady Arabelle Davaux.

The Eight´s blessings upon you, my lady. I have an inquiry I hope you can answer me. Recently I had the fortune of visiting your home High Isle and I was quite perplexed by the architecture of Gonfalon Bay. It looked very similar to that of my childhood home of Leyawiin. Something I did not expect from my previous experience with Breton architecture and the Systres location, so I wonder how this could have happened.

Respectfully,
    Ventrinio Corros, architect and member of the former Imperial City's Guild of Architects.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Tyrvarion
    Tyrvarion
    ✭✭✭
    To Lady Arabelle Davaux

One can not talk about the Systers without mentioning famed All Flags Navy. What are the beliefs of the Islanders about the Archmage Syrabane? Is he venerated as a god, like he is by the folk of Summerset, or seen more like a great historical figure?

Another question is the nature of the Fauns. I heard they are connected to nature just like Spriggans. Are they kind of faerie?
    Kind regards,
    Tyrvarion Firewolf of Markarth
  • LickingHistSap
    LickingHistSap
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Davaux,

I've heard strange rumors of strange deerfolk and crabfolk sightings within the archipelago. If they truly exist, are these beings forms of beastfolk? Do they have cultures of their own, or are they more akin to the Yaghra which have been plaguing Summerset of late?
  • Leighlaa
    Leighlaa
    ✭✭✭
    While I don't know a lot about these islands, I do know a lot about guar and am both curious and suspicious about the marked lack of guar on the islands. Could not have one been smuggled to the prison lands or kept as a pudgy pet by a Breton well-to-do that loves "exotic" beasts of the eastern wilds and southern groves? Where are the guar, and if there are none, why? Druids love guar, it is known.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoolBlast3 wrote: »
    This sounds fun! Will do my question in RP format!

To Lady Arabelle

I am called a witch by many, but I remember still my druidic roots. However, I wonder. Do the Druids of High Isle remember the Old Gods still? The likes of Raen, Q'Olwen, Vigryl, Druaaga and many others? The worship of these has stagnated in the mainland, but I've always wanted to know if they're still out there, somewhere.
    Furthermore, do the Druids of High Isle follow also the Bretonic beliefs of The Light and the Dark? Or is that something reserved only to us mainlanders?
    Any answers would be appreciated.

Yours truly,
    Lady Eleanor Faucher, Guardian of the Restless Woods

Lore sources:
    Light and the Dark
    Daggerfall Gods

i too would like to know more about these obscure dieties
  • Vinovin15
    Vinovin15
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see another one of these! I'm going to ask two separate questions, feel free to pick either one of them!

Dear Lady Arabelle...

I have been hearing rumors about potential peace talks to be held on High Isle. If the rumors are true, I was curious about why a Covenant aligned island was chosen as the location, instead of a truly neutral island, like Stirk, which also has the advantage of having no population that could possibly interfere with the peace talks.

Big fan,
    Talion Warhaft, Blackcaster Mages Guild

Hello Breton Lady,

Bretons like horses almost as much as I do. Do you have nice horses in High Isle? What is horse culture like in Systres islands? Breton knights are very proud of their mounts, do you think there are any steeds that can rival our Yokudan Chargers?

Many thanks,
    Qhono of Silverhoof Vale

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My question is also about Druids. How central to the beliefs and practices of Druids on the Systres archipelago is the brewing and consumption of Real Ale?
    PC EU
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the Lady Arabelle,

As a fellow scholar I assume it is common knowledge that the witch-women of the Wyrd have oft referred to our Druidic ancestors as 'barons in ivy robes'. Now the following is of course a preposterous notion propagated mainly by coiffeurs and fishmongers' wives withal, yet because of this peculiar nomenclature one cannot help but wonder if our kinsmen across the sea have at times -scandalously so- attempted to elevate select Druids into the esteemed nobility for their service to the realm.

Long may he reign,

Rodewyn de Riserais, archivist-apprentice of Valdurac, Sancreval.

Edited by Gaebriel0410 on 22 April 2022 15:51
  • Cactus_Back
    Cactus_Back
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lady Arabelle,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!

I must admit that I am rather fascinated by the Fauns of High Isle. I am not sure how much first hand experience of meeting and interacting with them you have but I suspect that such a well-connected and charming person as you are probably count a number of Druids among your acquaintances, and they would surely be extremely knowledgeable on the subject. So if you could ask them or share your own knowledge on the Fauns, I would greatly appreciate it and would definitely tell anyone and everyone that you are in fact not the author of the Investigator Vale novels!

Do Fauns have their own language? Can they learn Tamrielic? What is their social structure? Do they have any form of religion? Is there any relation between them and the Daedric Prince Hircine who is often depicted and often appears in forms that are somewhat similar to how Fauns look? Anything else you could share on them?
    Edited by Cactus_Back on 22 April 2022 15:56
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the Lady Arabelle,

To those who still speak the Old Words, it is all too peculiar that Druagaa, alleged twin sister or mother to Dibella depending on who you ask, was never elevated into the more widespread pantheon of the Eight alike the Passion Dancer was. No doubt the square-shield heartlanders with their predilection for a limited pantheon were afeared of her majesty, for She of the Flowers clearly favoured verdant High Rock fair over their dolorous, dreary marches.

My question is then: with the Druidic circles being more prominent on the Systres, is worship of Druagaa still as common as it was on the mainland in days of old?

With Her blessings,

Marjoleine Branwick, cupbearer at the Shrine of Our Maidens Twinned, Valdelys.
  • Jeancey
    Jeancey
    ✭✭✭✭
    To the Lady Arabelle,

High Isle was given its name in 1E 2328 by Duchess Guimard, but what was the name of the island before that? Do the druids of the island call it High Isle, or do they use the original, likely druidic, name?

Any assistance you can provide on this matter is much appreciated!

Jeancey, Loremaster of the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits
    Administrator - UESP - Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ICYMI on twitter. :smile:

What unseen force or magic prevents Treasure Maps from stacking in the Systres Archipelago and everywhere else?
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • ElenaVolkihar
    Greetings, Lade Arabelle. I just heard new about High Isle and I'm very curious about it. I have few questions about this Isle and nearby territories.
    1. Who controls isles in Eltheric Ocean and Abecean see? In particular which isles belong to Bretons? What is known about all these isles?
    2. What materials are used to build ships on High Isle?
    3. Who does High Isle trades with?
    4. How did Thrassian Plague affect people of High Isle? Was there any confrontations with Sloads?
    5. What does High Isle import and export?
    6. Are the any underwater monsters in nearby seas?
    I hope you get this letter in time.
    Best regards, Vaylin Tirall, Battlemage of Eternal Throne Order
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Lady,
    During my travels in the archipelago, I have noticed that the divide between how the cosmopolitan Stonelore Circle and the radical Eldertide Circle respectively engage with the Wild seems to parallel the difference in ideologies between the Viridian Sentinel and the various Wyrd covens on the mainland. Do you have any insight on their shared history?
    – Enodoc Dumnonii, Savant of the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits

Addendum: Do you happen to have an accurate geographical map of High Isle? I have been asked to meet a fellow scholar at the edge of Oakenvald forest, but I can find no maps which indicate where the Sapphire Coast ends and Oakenvald begins. Your assistance would be much appreciated!
    Edited by Enodoc on 22 April 2022 18:09
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
This discussion has been closed.