The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A Letter, A Mission (Story)

Krist
Krist
✭✭✭✭
Can be some spoilers, but not intentional and nothing major. My stories do not revolve around actual play.

My Dearest Krist,

Our baby is safe, but still remains unnamed. I wish you were here to have seen him come into the world, but I understand that you are facing yet another danger to our very way of life, and our lives for that matter. The sisters here at the House of Mara are kind to me, and assist me with the baby as I regain my strength. They tell me about some of the troubles you may be facing, as they get their information. Vampires and strange storms is the word going around, and I can almost feel the fear in their voices. I am assured that here at Windhelm all is safe, but that is not my main concern. We are Nord my dear, and as a Nord I will not ask you to worry solely about your own life, instead I will demand you be strong, and you be courageous, and you come home. You come home and help raise your son to be as you.
Your cousin, Jorn, made the trip all the way to Windhelm to see us. He left his sons and wife to watch over their home and ours. He said things are a bit safer than it was when the dead got up and walked. The ground is miraculously accepting the till and the seed, so it is healing faster than we thought it would. I told Jorn to use our home and land as he would his own, encouraging him in what you told him, it is his to work until we return home. He assured me you will come back, reminding me of all the things you have done in your life, and how you always come home.

I will end this letter with a prayer, as the sisters taught me:

You will not be harmed by any sword,
You will not be marred by any magic,
You will come home, by the name of Mara

No monsters will stop you,
No man will hinder you,
You will come home, by the name of Mara

Though they may seek your life,
Even if they count you dead,
You will come home, you are named by Mara

I love you Krist.
Haddie of Lindor

Hadassa hands the letter to the sister of Mara, who insures her it will find it's way to Krist. She has a friend in the Fighter's Guild who has, time and again, delivered such messages, even when others thought it impossible.
"Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
"Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
"That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    The storm was strange, that was for sure. It circled and swirled around a point, but never moving. Splatters of red hit Krist's face as if the rain was blood. It smelled awful, like the trenches of dead bodies he helped cover when they warred with the Ada'Soom and his Akaviri army. It was called a Harrowstorm, and the creatures that attacked through it were horrific.
    "I did not sign up for this," the Nord woman said, looking over the scene. Others fought, and fought hard against the vampires and daedric that seemingly poured out of the storm.
    "None of us did," Krist said. He raised his two handed sword, and entered the battle.

"I have to go," he told Haddie, and it shamed him to say it. She was pregnant, and soon to deliver. They came to Windhelm to meet with the Njial, the Hall Steward, who had sent word to him, and his orders were given.
    "They made you travel all the way to Windhelm, just to send you back to the East," she said, but there was not that much anger in her voice.
    "We had things to do here, and the home they have us in is nice. They have hired a healer to help you in labor, she is from the House of Mara. I am assured you will be cared for very well," he said, but the guilt on his face was apparent, and he could not hide it.
    "I am not angry Krist, not at you or the guild. You would not be the man you are if you did not fight for our very way of life. The timing though," she said, then let out a chuckle. "Your timing, is always off.

The creatures, because that is what they are now, were mindlessly attacking, with no concern for themselves. His two handed sword sliced through several of them fairly easy, and Krist could see that they were once mortal humans.
    "They were turned by the storm," Maji said, his fur bristled as he looked further into the mist of the storm. "This one does not wish the same fate."
    Krist looked at the Khajit, a fellow member of the guild, and nodded in agreeance. He handed the 3 an elixer given to him by the local guild steward.
    "They said it was made by a vampire," Hron said, making a face.
    "Just drink it," Jhon, his twin brother huffed, and the two guzzled it down all at once.
    Maji, on the other hand, sniffed it a few times, his eyes looking to the storm, then back to the concoction, before drinking it down as well. The two large twin Nords laughed as the Khajit coughed and sputtered.
    "Your turn," Krist said, handing one to Faidtra, the female Nord.
    Faidtra swigged her's down as well, as if it was bad ale. She showed no sign that it tasted awful, and tossed the empty bottle down.
    Krist had already drank the brew, so he knew how bad it tasted. It would, or was suppose to, keep them safe from the effects of the Harrowstorm, and keep them from turning into a mindless vampire, as that was what the creatures appeared to be.
    Adventurers, soldiers, and some from the Mage's Guild were gathering, and preparing an attack. Krist knew it was time to leave the outskirts of the storm, and enter the fight to shut it down.
    "Let's go," Krist said, and each of them readied their weapons.
    ON-place-Harrowstorms.jpg
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Fester82
    Fester82
    ✭✭
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fester82 wrote: »
    amazing read!

Thank you. Been away for a bit, so my apologies for the late reply. :)
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some from the Mage's Guild lay dead, but they died heroically. Krist and his fellow Fighter's Guild members barely dodged death themselves, and were not unscathed. Their wounds were superficial, the Khajit's worse being that his fur was patched with the red bloodlike liquid, that he dared not clean off in true Khajit fashion. The Nord's were able to handle the mess better, but none liked it.
    "What are you doing Faidtra," Krist exclaimed, causing the others to look toward the big Nord woman. The twins laughed, one even howled though Krist had no idea which one.
    "Typical Nord," Maji said low enough that only Krist heard him. The Khajit went on grabbing his gear together before heading out after Faidtra. After her, but not looking to her.
    The twins soon followed, Hron smacking Krist on the back with a chuckle.
    "There is a river down here, Krist, and I think we all should get this crap off of us," Faidtra called back to Krist, as she carried her armor, clothes and weapons in a bundle over her shoulder.
    The rest of her, however, was bare as the day she was born.

The twin Nord's snored low, and in sync. Krist scratched his beard looking at them, in wonder.
    "I heard twins do alot of things like that," Faidtra said, a blanket over her bare, but now clean, body. "Probably what makes them so good at fightin' together too."
    Krist nodded, but having little experiences with twins he had nothing of intellect to offer.
    "You thinkin' we need to stay in these parts, or we headin' out soon," Faidtra asked, tossing a freshly cleaned chicken bone onto their small fire.
    "I don't know," Krist said, looking around into the darkness.
    "You waitin' on more orders," she asked, but it came out as if saying. Her questions always came out as statements. Krist came to know her well enough to understand.
    "Yeah," Krist said. He was the senior guild member, and the only one that fought in The Deadlands when the Fighter's Guild went to help fight off Mehrunes Dagon. He wasn't their leader, it wasn't a position he wanted even if he were to be offered. He was merely the senior member of this little band.
    "I hope we get orders soon, I want to go home," she said, and laid down, falling asleep as soon as her head hit the soft ground.
    Faidtra seemed so sure of herself, Krist never pondered her age before. She was a good fighter. She never questioned a fight, and was ready no matter the odds. She just seemed, at all other times till now, to be much older. Dirt, blood and a long scar on her right cheek hid her face.
    I want to go home, she had said, almost as a child would say it. Krist did not know her true age, but right then she looked barely over 18 winters, barely a woman.

Krist laid back and listened to the sounds of the river far below them. They were not that far from Karthwatch, and would head into town in the morning for supplies, but for now, they all chose to stay the night outdoors. It was a cool night, but clear. They were outsiders, even as Nords, who had a Khajit with them. Staying in towns could sometimes get complicated.
    Krist's mind turned to Haddie before he fell asleep.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Dearest Krist,

He is a month old, and I call him boy. It is quite funny, to me and others. The sisters have encouraged me to name him, as they say a boy without a name is just a boy. They are light hearted about it, and understand why I choose wait for you, but I also think they are serious. I assure you, our son will not be named until you are here to name him. He is fat, and takes after his father in that he is also stoic and quiet. The sisters worried at first, checking him over, testing him with their magic to insure he was healthy, but they assure me he is. Not that they needed to. He only cries when hungry, and even then it is a low cry.
    I know what I wish name him, and I know you will agree, but it will be you to name him. I leave that for you, so you must return, if for nothing else but to name your son.

Rumors are circulating about the area you are in. I know, even as I write this, that my first letter did not reach you yet. They said the courier is perfectly fine, just unable to get to you. There is rumor that some people have lost their lives stopping some daedric ritual, but I know deep down you are not one of them. I think I would feel if you died.

Do not worry about writing back, if you cannot. I will assume you cannot, and will be just as pleased to learn you have received these letters I send. I think I send them more for me than you, as terrible as that sounds. Sending the letters tells me you are alright, you are still safe.

Be strong my love. Be brave my love. Be Nord.

Love always,
    Haddie and Boy

P.S. I hope that made you laugh, or at the very least smile!
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Krist had been up for about an hour, before he heard the twins arguing over something. They argued, but it was just another form of their relationship as twins. It was as the arguments that happened in Krist's head when he was wishing decide something, but with those two, it was out loud, loud being the the key word. It was over a sweet roll that each thought the other ate, and there was no telling which was right. Neither were lying, they simply did not remember, and thus, the argument of did they eat it or not.
    "I ate the last one," Faidtra finally said in her loud and gruff voice, looking at the two, and daring either to argue with her. They weren't scared of her, the twins were much like her and feared very little outright. They knew that it did not pay to argue with Faidtra, and whether she actually ate the sweet roll or not, the matter was thus settled.
    Krist smiled as he looked out over the hilly lands. They were still along the river, and close to Dragon Bridge. Runners and trackers kept up with them, along with other Fighter Guild bands. They ran across Mage Guild members as well. The fighting was tough, the undead were everywhere, and battles popped up wherever these strange rituals occurred.

"This one thinks we are fighting a losing battle," Maji said, looking out over the land. Krist did not hear him walk up, and did not notice him until he spoke. Maji had a way with things, or so he was told.
    "I don't know, there is no such as a losing battle, there are only battles lost," Krist said. He wasn't trying to be poetic, it was simply how he felt. Still, it drew a toothy smile from the Khajit, and shake of his head.
    Maji took a step forward, now in front of the big warrior. It was a sign of trust with Maji, who seldom ever let someone behind him. He usually followed the crew into battle, he always sat in a tavern with his back to the wall. The dark coated "cat" did not know if Krist understood the respect he showed him, but it didn't matter if he did. It was not for Krist to like or trust him, it was just what Maji did when he trusted, and liked, someone.
    "Maji sees you not sleep well. Is it burden that weighs on you, or are you missing your family," he asked, his eyes getting fixed on a site far off in the distance.
    "Both I suppose," Krist said, trying to see what the Khajit was looking at. He could just make out a discoloration in the morning sky far to the east.
    "Another one, this one thinks we should get moving in that direction," Maji said, pointing toward the red glow.
    Krist nodded, even though Maji could not see him do it. Haddie always said she could not hear his head rattle, always with a laugh, when he would nod while she was in another room and could not see him.
    "We will fight another battle, and we will fight well. You will see your son, my friend," Maji said, before turning around and walking back to the camp. Krist stood there a moment, just looking at the speck in the distance that he may have missed if the Khajit had not seen it.
    It would be about a day's ride. He was not even sure they would arrive in time to help, and if they did it would mean the battle was not going well. Still, they had to try.
    "Gear up, we go soon," Maji was saying. The others did not question him, they simply began to pack their gear up and ready themselves for the day.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    The band seemed to get to the ritual site just in time, as the few that arrived to fight were being overwhelmed. On the way their they were met by runners calling for aid, and knew it was a dire situation that they were arriving at.
    Sometimes 5 can make a difference, Krist thought.
    "How can just 5 of us make a difference," Maji called out from the back of the group, almost as if reading the warrior's mind. Krist looked back, and was not encouraged. The faces of his fellow fighter guild members told a story of weariness, and maybe even hopelessness. They had been a while, fighting these undead and creatures from Oblivion while waiting for mages and priests and whoever was smarter than they were to come up with a way to stop this for good.
    "It doesn't matter," Krist said, and climbed down from his horse. They would run up the slope, not wanting to get their steeds too close to the battle.
    "We will have to try."
    "We will beat these devils, and we will be heroes Maji!" Hron called out, jumping off of his tall grey steed, almost falling down when he landed.
    "You will be dead twin number 1," Maji said, but there was no malice in it, and it only brought a laugh from Hron and his brother.
    Faidtra didn't say much, she simply gathered her weapons and gear and began up the slope. She would not engage the enemy until they all were prepared.
    Maji, despite his objections, was right behind Faidtra, with Krist and the twins following them.
    "Why are you twin number 1," Jhon asked, with a delayed realization of what Maji said.
    "I am older than you, you know this," Hron said, with a serious tone.
    "You are not!" Jhon sounded angry, and it probably would have lead to one of their many fights had their not been business ahead.
    "Mind on the task," was all Krist said, and the two did just that.

• Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    ON-creature-Harrowstorm_Abomination.jpg

The giant flesh thing swung an oversized hammer fist down at Krist and Faidtra, who took point. The twins tried flanking tactics on the creature, but more often than not had to back off and fight other daedra and undead before continuing the attack.
    Maji was nowhere to be seen, and Krist feared the worst. It was chaos, something he did not like much of, since it meant things happened that he could not control.
    "Watch yourself Krist," Faidtra said, pushing the warrior out of the way of a meaty giant hand. She took the blow on her shield, but it still knocked her back. Krist quickly recovered and brought a great swing of his two handed sword down onto the arm, hoping to chop it off.
    It did not.
    However, it did cause a deep wound, that maggots and unclean things dropped out of. The creature howled, whether in pain or anger, who could know, as it stood up to it's full height. It then began, curiously, pounding at it's own head, before suddenly stopping. It didn't move as the 4 Nords stopped and stared in wonder, wondering what odd magic it was performing. It began to sway slightly, then it fell forward hitting the ground with a thud.
    Maji was still on it's shoulders, driving his short sword over and over again into the head of the creature, before realizing it was no longer moving.
    "This one needs another bath," Maji finally said, looking up and around at the bloodrain stained Nords who were staring at him.
    "Let's clean up here first," Krist said, still staring at the cat in wonder, but motioning to the now dwindling creatures being put down by others.
    Maji simply nodded.

"Hah, the cat is a hero!" Jhon said, a big proud smile on his face.
    "Many heroes here twin, but Maji is not one of them," the Khajit said, a frown on his face as he looked about at the injured, dead, and dying.
    "Still," Krist said, nodding respect to Maji before looking about as well. Some had already set up a place for healers to do their work, where folks gathered around for aid or to offer aid. Magic was being used, as was more conventional means of tending wounds.
    Hron motioned to Krist as a carrier was running up.
    "Letters for Krist Lindor," he said, before coming to a quick stop, holding two out to the Nord.
    Krist took the letters and saw that they were from Haddie, bringing a smile to his face, even in the wake of the chaos that had just occurred.
    "Do you need me to read them for you," the Imperial courier asked, carefully it seemed as not to insult the Nord.
    Krist looked up quizzically at first, as it seemed an odd question to him, before looking at his fellow Nords and realizing he was the only one that could probably read.
    "If he needs, this one will read it, now scurry along," the Khajit said, though he knew Krist could read.
    "Wait," Krist said quickly, stopping the runner before he could leave. He then handed the man some coins, no doubt too much according to Maji's facial expressions of disgust.

"You got letters from home," Aicessar called as he walked from the healing camp.
    "Steward Aicessar," Krist said, nodding to the man in respect. "I did not know you were here."
    "I was, then I wasn't, then I am again," the Altmer said, a smile on his lips.
    Krist just nodded along with that.
    "Well, anyway," the steward finally said after a brief silence. "I am glad you heard from home. News of your wife has been good."
    Krist looked at his letters then at the steward.
    "Oh gods no," he said, and chuckled. "I would not read another man's letters, even if I had the chance. No no, I get word from the hall in Windhelm quite often."
    Krist nodded his thanks at that, and began to turn away to read his letters.
    "Wait, don't go yet," Aicessar said, a low tone to his voice as he waved the Nord to him. "You are going home. For a little while anyway."
    "We are being sent home," he asked, tilting his head slightly.
    "No, you are. You need to go home and see your child. You have done much for the guild. Even doing things you did not report for the betterment of Skyrim. I hear things Krist."
    "I won't leave without them, if they wish come back with me. We came as a band, we will leave as one. They have done great work as well," Krist said, in the same low tone as the steward.
    Aicessar looked past Krist at the other four. The twins, as the only way he knew to call them, were laughing as they poked the creature with their toe. What they found funny, the steward did not know. The other two, the cat and the female Nord, were looking at him.
    "Very well, four more resting is not going to hurt us. It's more of a fact finding mission now, we will not be coming in force to these sites. Let the adventurers and the locals deal with it. The Mage's Guild seems to be working with someone that has some inside information, I can only imagine what that means. They said they do not need us 'blundering about', if you can imagine."
    Krist just nodded, as he could imagine it fully. He felt like he and his band were doing just that, though they did help secure the roads as well as stop some of the rituals. However, nothing was permanent. Those smarter than he, like mages and healers and the like could figure out a more final attack.
    "Go home, and be with your wife. We will let you know when we need you again over here," the steward said, clasping the warrior on his shoulder before turning and walking toward another group of what Krist assumed were guild members.

Krist had barely gotten the words out of his mouth that they were able to return home when Faidtra turned and headed toward their steeds. The twins grinned big, punching each other in their massive shoulders, before also heading to the horses.
    "Well Maji, it seems we are done here for now," Krist said, smiling to the Khajit.
    "This one was done before this, and this one thinks he will be heading home, for far longer than the steward thinks," he said, a frown on his face as he looked to Aicessar, before spitting on the ground.
    "You are angry?"
    "You have a way about you Krist, very astute indeed," he replied with a toothy grin.
    "I suppose I am not very astute, as I do not know why you are mad."
    "This one can hear and see things from very far my friend, even a whisper is carried on the wind to me. That one was going to send YOU home, and leave us here until, well, who knows when."
    Krist just smiled slightly, and nodded a bit.
    "He did not fight me over you guys going home though," the warrior offered.
    "He did not fight you, because you are somebody, Sir Lindor. We, we are no ones. Followers, people sent out to fight and if we do not return, well, we did our jobs at least," he said, but not with malice or contempt, just matter-of-factly.
    "No, not at all. You guys did more than...." Krist began but Maji put a paw up to stop him.
    "You are somebody, Krist Lindor," he said again, and then sniffed at him. "And there is something in you, that one just cannot understand what it is."
    Krist looked at the cat for a moment, who simply gazed away at the others who were getting to their horses. He was not sure if Maji was talking about him being a leader, or the werewolf within him. It had not come out in some time now, not since the road to Windhelm.
    "We best catch them, or they will leave us here for sure," the Khajit said with a grunt, and headed toward the other 3.

• Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Western-Skyrim-big.jpg

Krist was never so happy to get into a city, and Solitude was a beacon of hope to his weary bones. The guards hardly looked at the hardly washed companions as they opened the gates and let them in. It was obvious who they were, or at least what they had been doing.
    Krist's eyes were even happier to see the Lonely Troll. They must have been a sight as they limped in with their cuts and bruises and bleeding lips, but the inn keeper did not say a word. Krist had a feeling he must have seen it all. As he thought of that, he worried there may not be a room open, and they would have to settle for the guild hall.
    "Your room is upstairs," the keeper said, looking as weary as they were. It was very early morning, barely past the mid of night, and the inn keeper was probably up and down with visitors, adventurers, guild members, and those just seeking the safety of the Solitude walls.
    They were only able to get two rooms, both though had baths, and one of the workers was warming them up for them.
    "You two go ahead, I need to do something," Krist said, handing them the keys and walking back to the inn keeper.

It was about half of an hour before Krist made his way into his room, the room he gave Maji the keys to. He was a bit taken aback though to find Faidtra in the bath. Krist apologized and began to turn back to go to Maji's room when Faidtra called to him.
    "Don't bother, he won't let you in. He said he aint sleepin' in the same room with no snoring Nord, with walls to keep the snoring bouncin' round his head. I said I could stay with him, give you privacy, but he said that included me as he slammed the door in my face. Stupid cat, I don't snore," she said with a huff, as she scrubbed her feet with a bristle.
    "It's fine," Krist said with a sigh. It wasn't really, but it had to do. Krist simply felt it wasn't right for him, a married man, to be in the same room with her, a young woman. A young woman who had very little care or thought of shame. She was true Nord, it was true. Krist was as well, but his time spent in Imperial City refined him some, or so some said.
    Luckily there was two beds, a big master bed and a smaller single bed. He would take the smaller bed and leave the big one for Faidtra.
    "So, why'd you stay downstairs so long," the Nord woman asked, her back to Krist as Krist began to take off his armor.
    "I was writing my wife back," Krist said, struggling with some of the ties, as his hands were sore, cut, and hurting.
    "Aint you headin' back home?"
    "I am," Krist said with a grunt, as he removed his chest armor. He knew what she was getting at, but he really did not wish the conversation while she sat in the bath. Worse, it came to mind that he would have to get into the tub soon enough, meaning he would be the one naked in the room, and she would probably still be wanting to talk. It was Krist's luck.
    "I am done," he heard her say, as he also heard the water slosh as she got out of the bath. Krist did not look to her, and instead focused on his leggings and boots.
    Krist's head was down looking at his own feet when two bare feet slapped into view. Her feet were a mess, rubbed raw by either too small of boots or too big of boots. A twinge of guilt filled him for a moment that he did not see to her needs in all this time. Of course he never realized how young she was.
    "This is the only towel they had in here," she said, and Krist was thankful that she was wrapped in it. "I will give it to you when your done."
    Krist just nodded and got to his feet. He was tall, even for a Nord, but she was not that much smaller than he was.
    "I'm gonna lay on the bed here, giving you some privacy," she said, climbing on the bed, on top of the covers, and laying down. "If'n I am asleep, wake me up and I will move to the other bed."
    "What, no, you can have this bed. I will be fine in the other. Believe me, it will be a great difference from the frozen ground we have been on," Krist said.
    Faidtra shrugged and laid down, her eyes closed before her head touched the pillow.
    Krist looked at her for a moment, a feeling of sorrow for her having to endure so much at such an age, and he wondered how she ended up here. She never spoke of it before. She always spoke fondly of her parents, and said how much she wanted to get back to them, leading Krist to think she was somehow forced, or maybe not forced but in need of being there. Money? Well, the Fighter's Guild did pay well enough, especially as you moved up in what contracts you got.
    "You gonna stare at me or go take your bath," she said with a huff, waving him off. This brought a smile to Krist's face, and he remembered why he thought she was older.

• Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    "We're headin' to the Reach," Hron said, with a big smile.
    "Our homes are close to Markoth," Jhon said, almost seamless in following his brother.
    "I need to get home to my girl, LaJana," Hron said, which was followed immediately by a punch to his arm by his twin brother.
    "That's my girl you sot!" Jhon complained, holding his fist up ready to punch his brother in the face if he said different.
    "Of course, of course, I keep forgetting," Hron said, pushing his brother in the chest. Neither were really mad, in fact the two would fight till one gave up or was knocked out, and have a brew right after. Amazingly, there never seemed to be a clear winner, or more importantly, one who won more than the other. The winner was usually whoever punched first.
    Neither delivered a true punch this time, they were ready to go home.
    "Faidtra told us what you did, and thank you for thinking on us," Jhon said sincerely. Hron just nodded along with it, as if the thought belonged to both, and Jhon was chosen to say it.
    "You fought well, my friends, thank you. I think our band was the best crew I have had, at least in a very long time," Krist offered.
    The brothers did not respond to that, instead they climbed out their steeds and just left. Hron was in the front, and Jhon followed with a packed mule in tow.

"Bet it's all brew," Faidtra said, her eyes still glaring where the brothers were now out of sight due to the crowd, and the city was crowded.
    "Where are you heading," Krist asked, and was met with a shrug. It was odd, as much as she had talked about her family, that she would not be sure she was leaving for home. Krist expected she would say home, but was not sure where exactly she was from, outside of East Skyrim.
    "Of course, I thought you meant today. I plan to stay another night or two in the Lonely Troll, I am just not ready for the saddle again. I may even take a carriage back, though not sure I wanna waste pay on that."
    Krist nodded, looking to her marred, old, young face.
    "Oh, you mean," she paused and let a grin flow as she looked to Krist, "I am from The Rift, not too far from Riften. My paw works the land for a farmer there. He kinna runs the farm himself."
    Krist smiled a bit, nodding once more.
    "I wonder where Maji is," Krist said looking about.

"Most of your pay has been sent to Windhelm, to your wife, but this is what you asked for to get you home," Aicessar said, placing a small closed bag of coin on the desk.
    Krist put the coins in his side satchel without looking in the bag. He didn't need to count it, it would be the exact amount he asked for.
    Krist was cleaned up, only his scars marring his appearance, as opposed to the dirt, mud, blood and unknown goops that covered him much of the last month or so. His knot doublet and long britches were fresh, though lacking much in the way of color. Browns and light greens, it just fit who Krist was, or as he saw himself.
    Aicessar on the other hand saw a warrior who thought he was a farmer. A leader who refused to lead, though that wasn't exactly true. He did lead, he just didn't accept the titles.
    "Thank you Aicessar," Krist said, with a smile and a nod. "Are you staying here for a while?"
    "Oh dear no, no," the steward said. He seemed to travel all about Skyrim, and was steward wherever he was needed. Krist respected that, as many stewards were happy to stay in one place, using the need to keep the halls running to stay drunk on mead and fat on roasts.
    That's not fair, Krist thought, but he still admired Aicessar.
    "I will be heading to the east holds for a bit, and we will be meeting up soon enough," he said.
    "With all due respect, I do not live in Windhelm sir, that is simply where my wife is. I am going back, name my son, and get them back to Whiterun Hold."
    The steward looked at him for a bit, his fingers drumming on the desk, and Krist knew it was coming.
    "No, no you won't I am afraid. We have your wife set up in a nice home in Windhelm, it will be your house as long as you wish it. However, you will need to pay that off by doing some work for us. We need you, Krist. We need you to help clean up the mess there, we have lost many members, and we are short on leaders."
    Krist almost said he was not a leader, but it would have been useless.
    "I didn't ask for the home there, how can I...." Krist started.
    "Your wife did, or at least she happily accepted it. Your son needed a home, and needed someone to help her with you gone. We provided someone, a nanny if you will, at no cost to you. In the end it will be your home, it will be Haddie's home."
    At the mention of her name Krist looked hard at the steward, and it was obvious he should not have mentioned her. It was obvious the warrior knew exactly what happened.
    "You tricked her," he said, his frown deep now, his hand instinctively going to his hip where he would normally keep a long knife, but had no weapon. Not that he would have used it, but it was instinct in time of anger.
    The steward recognized the motion immediately, but made no mention of it.
    "I did not, but yes, I suppose, it was a means to get you to stay for a bit and do the job you swore to do," Aicessar said, this time no emotion on his face. His eyes met Krist's, his own will meeting the knight's.
    At the mention of the job he was suppose to do, swore to do, Krist's stance softened.
    The stewards face softened as well. He liked Krist, genuinely admired the man for his dedication to his wife, son, and even the guild.
    "You won't be near as far from Haddie this way. You can be home in as little as hours, only as much as a couple of days. Your guild gave you plenty of time, enough time to start your family, before calling on you again. If it wasn't a need, we would not be insistent, and you are not the only one we are insisting on doing their duty."
    Krist finally nodded, though he refused to open his mouth and say anything. He was still angry, still bothered by how they made him owe them. Aicessar said he had nothing to do with it. No, only that it was not him that tricked her into owing. It was his idea, Krist did not doubt it, as the steward knew Krist very well.
    The nod was all the steward needed, and did not push Krist further.
    "You can take Faidtra with you, she can stay at the guild and assist you. I know you and your team worked well together. The others will have different orders, well, the twins. I have no idea what the Khajit will be doing, his orders are above me, and never through." he finally said.
    Krist shook his head with a sigh.
    "No, Faidtra wishes go home to her parents. I did not realize how young she was till recently."
    "Her parents? She was orphaned at the age of 13, she had no parents. She was raised by the guild, an uncle or something that had connections got her in. I don't know the exacts."
    The steward was a little shocked, at the shock look on Krist's face.
    Krist's face softened again, and he simply nodded, as was his way.

Edited by Krist on 9 December 2022 14:58