The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Glyph of Prismatic Onslaught and Hybrids

vesselwiththepestle
vesselwiththepestle
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey,

Zenimax is trying to help hybrid builds. I think this is a good thing and many roleplayers, casual players and new players will profit from it, as will some pvp players and pve players with some highly advanced niche builds.

Now we got the new Glyph of Prismatic Onslaught, which instead of dealing oblivion damage restores Health, Magicka, and Stamina. So it seems like perfect for hybrid builds. However, it still deals Magic Damage. I think at this point we would need a generic damage type - maybe a new version of oblivion damage - which scales with either of your weapon damage or magicka damage and the equivalent penetration. As a player who tends toward Stamina, I would love to use the new Prismatic Onslaught, but the fact that it deals Magic Damage keeps me from using it, because I can't make use of its full potential.

What do you think?
1000+ CP
PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The new Prismatic Onslaught glyph doesn't help hybrids, since it restores half as much stamina and magicka as a regular Absorb resource glyph, therefore ultimately giving you the same value.

The restored health isn't that useful in PvE, and is cut in half in PvP, so if we dismiss the health portion, it's the same net value as an Absorb Stamina/Magicka glyph.

The tri-absorb idea doesn't work as well as Prismatic Defense glyphs, which give you more total resources than single-stat glyphs, and is therefore helpful for PvP chars and tanks (who need all 3 resources), but not really DPS.

As far as the Magic Damage—Magic Damage is essentially a hybrid damage type, with penetration being so hybridized. Is your physical penetration higher than your spell penetration in the new patch? Enchantment damage doesn't scale with weapon/spell damage or max resources, so I'm not sure what mag characters get from this that stam don't, other than a chance to apply Minor Magickasteal. Which, in that case, yeah, physical damage would be more hybrid-friendly since it has a chance to apply Minor Breach, which both mag and stam benefit from.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually still have sources of Physical Penetration, not adding to Magicka Damage. 2 Examples, Kra'gh 1 piece and Master's Perfected Maul.
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The old glyph never did Oblivion damage, that was the absorb health enchantment but in reverse that damaged health. Prismatic Onslaught dealt an insane amount of magic damage equal to double a normal damage glyph (flame, frost, poison, etc) against undead and Daedra. They removed the only way to have a "silver" weapon in ESO for hunting the dark and evil things. Some PvE zones had nothing but undead and Daedra, while in PvP it was devastating when you fought a vampire player. It was niche but it was insanely good at what it did. Now it's a trash tri-restore glyph. Only see it being used on some PvP builds and tanks willing to drop one of their group support enchantments.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a change that made the glyph absolutely useless TBH. Even for hybrids, I see better options, especially considering the cost. Perhaps a selfish PVE tank might run it, or some sort of troll tank build in PVP. That's all I got.

It was niche in PVP, but it was powerful in the right context and useless in others. Some might call that balance. It was useful in PVE against certain enemies if you felt like taking the extra step to swap it out. Never minded doing it myself, but I do get the general pushback against mid run gear swapping.

At this point, I have a handful of front bar PVP weapons and back bar PVE arena weapons with a prismatic on them. They will either get shelved or re-enchanted. Maybe one of my alts still running a normal VMA staff will now get a perfected one.

I see zero scenario where I ever craft a weapon prismatic again in their current state. Swing and a Miss if you ask me.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on 23 August 2021 16:39
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's completely useless. No role will use it.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Monday morning I had 3 weapons in the bank with a prismatic on them. 2 have been reenchanted, one has been deconstructed. The new one is indeed useless.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    Monday morning I had 3 weapons in the bank with a prismatic on them. 2 have been reenchanted, one has been deconstructed. The new one is indeed useless.

I threw mine in storage and am building up the courage to decon for mats. Feels bad. Really bad.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with those who hate this change! I had several weapons on various characters to use specifically against fighting daedra and undead... and now they are completely useless to me. Those enchants were NOT cheap... and while I understand on them wanting to cut down on the number of sever processes to compute, it's still a painful change for those of us who created weapons for the Prismatic enchant's intended purpose.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't understand the thinking (or lack of it) as to why this very useful (but def not OP) option was deleted totally unnecessarily and then replaced with a completely different option that is indeed next to useless.

If there was such a need to create more hybridisation, then why not simply create another desirable glyph type to add to the mix?

• MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid damage type that scales with everything? Cool idea
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will never revert the glyph to what it used to be:(

It would be nice if it could at least still be useful. Maybe the glyph can take on the same damage type used for your light attacks. So for example, a Frost Staff user could essentially have a frontbar prismatic glyph, and a backbar Frost glyph, with the result being as if they had two frost glyphs which proc separately from each other.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually can just make it deal Flame, Shock, and Frost Damage at once. For the same tooltip as any of those singular elemental glyphs. That would be great for status effects procs or Ele catalyst users.
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    Actually can just make it deal Flame, Shock, and Frost Damage at once. For the same tooltip as any of those singular elemental glyphs. That would be great for status effects procs or Ele catalyst users.

I support this idea.

As far as it being a "hybrid" glyph: that's only if you have 50/50 mag/stam distribution, and your regen for both resources are equal, and the ratio you use your skills is 50/50 mag/stam--would I recommend that you use it. Why? Because the health regen bonus does NOTHING for you as a dps.

Tri-stat regens are literally a tank trait set, but the end game content makes resistances and block mitigation so important that you can't even slot tri-stat as a tank. So sadly, one cannot use all tri-stat enchants (jewelry and weapon returns), as well as the invigorating trait, and do competitive dps or damage-absorption... It's quite a shame actually. But I guess it's because it requires resource management to be an end-game "skill" rather than a "given".
    Edited by Syrpynt on 23 November 2021 17:01