The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Companions talk too much - pls, adjust "infrequent" option

Luke_Flamesword
Luke_Flamesword
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
After 3 weeks of Bastian company I just hated him. I really liked him at beginning, but I just can't listen to him anymore. Every time this long monologues when we go to city or mage guild... "Great area for harvesting" literally in every place where I picked random mat, even in freaking desert. And when he keep asking "what's you gonna do with this" I always reply in my mind "I will put it in your god damn mouth and silence you forever".

I switch to Mirri and this is relief, she don't talks that much as Bastian, but I'm afraid that I will hate her too in couple weeks :(

I use "infrequent" option since beginning, but it's not infrequent at all. They talk and talk and never stops. Infrequent option should be something like 5-10 times rares than now, because it's not big difference from "frequent". Option "mute" and "almost never" should be also there.

I really like whole idea of companions but if I have to spent hundreds of hours with specific companion, you can't just destroy my brain with so much repeating. I get it, you want it to make first impression "they have so much to talk in so many different situations". But now I know it and I'm sick tired ot this. This is just pocket version of "dragons in your own homeland".
PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're just easily annoyed, you could rather, not use them.
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to think I don't think they talk enough!
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    And to think I don't think they talk enough!

Same, I have the frequent option and it still only really happens once in a while after doing something (seems to have a cooldown) and only occassionally if you sit idle too long they'll say something. Their frequent dialogue like when starting fights is very short to begin with.

But if you played either Skyrim or Fallout 4. You should already know what to expect from the companion, they will talk. If you don't want someone with you talking about things you do, you shouldn't be running with comps. So many people who shouldn't have comps, running with comps, complaining about them being comps. It's bizarre.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think the harvesting lines could be toned down but outside of that I actually wish he talked more.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree, 'infrequent' is still pretty frequent for my tastes.

I'm starting to tune companions out entirely. Just semi-random, repetitive comments that frequently don't even apply to the situation.

They simply don't have enough dialog lines recorded, or not enough are cycled through to warrant all that chatting.

Bastian is WAY too excited about our glorious hard-fought victory over a single mudcrab. Mirri is WAY too eager to tell me I should 'try breaking free' when I'm not under any crowd control at all and neither is she.
    PC NA
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, there is literally option to adjust frequency in game and you told me that there shouldn't be good scale for everyones personal needs but I should not use companions at all? Geez, all I ask is just some adjusts in this options, noone taking anything from you so I don't understand tone of this responses... And if you want more freuquent options this topic is good place to talk about it. I don't mind option "all the time and even more" for companions.

At beginning I also liked companion responses, but maybe I spent too much time with them. It's just too repeatable.
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    They simply don't have enough dialog lines recorded, or not enough are cycled through to warrant all that chatting.

Bastian is WAY too excited about our glorious hard-fought victory over a single mudcrab. Mirri is WAY too eager to tell me I should 'try breaking free' when I'm not under any crowd control at all and neither is she.

I agree with this too. I want them to talk more, but I also wish they had more to say, and that more of it was intelligently contextual.
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    Because judging by your examples of the inoffensive comments you seem annoyed by and then wanting an "almost never" or "mute" option it sounds like you don't actually want them to begin with LOL. So what is the point? You get tired of the comments you can simply dismiss them for a time, you have that option. I cannot for the life of me understand the rampant complaining sometimes on this board of compeltely optional things.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And I can't want to use mute companions? It's somehow forbidden? Is talking their main feature? I don't want mute them all the time, but sometimes when I'm bored or tired of them talking. And I want them more infreuquent to be more natural, because talking all the time the same things kills them for me...
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm one who wants more roleplaying comments, but I would happily turn most of Mirri's combat dialogue off it that was an option.

Mirri's battle-cry: "I like to think I'm agreeable!"
    Edited by VaranisArano on 21 June 2021 18:20
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for baiting and flaming, content that is against the Forum Rules. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and respectful to avoid thread derailment or action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vallisas wrote: »
    Because judging by your examples of the inoffensive comments you seem annoyed by and then wanting an "almost never" or "mute" option it sounds like you don't actually want them to begin with LOL. So what is the point? You get tired of the comments you can simply dismiss them for a time, you have that option. I cannot for the life of me understand the rampant complaining sometimes on this board of compeltely optional things.
    So someone not wanting them to talk as much, or at all, automatically means they shouldn't use the Companions? That's like telling someone who doesn't like NPC dialogue repeating all the darn time that they shouldn't play the game because NPCs are a part of it and what's the point if you don't immerse yourself in the world? Except we have the option to mute NPCs entirely, so why can't someone have the option of muting Companions entirely?

Honestly this just sounds like "my opinion is better than yours". YOU might like how much they talk or not mind it, but that doesn't invalidate other people who dislike it. And an option to mute them doesn't take away from anyone, so...why would you care or belittle someone for their opinion? I cannot for the life of my understand the rampant judging people do when others ask for simple QoL changes that wouldn't affect anyone who didn't need to use them.

Also there is a difference between feedback/criticism and complaining. Too many people want to shut others down by claiming "you're just complaining" when what's being offered is feedback.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not spent as much time with Mirri as Bastian, but view the dialogue AI as a process. Brear in mind these are still very new additions to the game, so I am pretty sure that they will likely be tweaked over time. If enough people ask for some adjustment to the frequencies of chatter, I don't see anything wrong with it.

With Bastian, I will say I really appreciate him pointing out heavy sacks for me because I often run without noticing them. As soon as I hear him say his line for them, I turn back to wherever we just were or where he will sometimes simply stop near one. Pretty cool. Hoping Mirri has a similar cue as well.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice to see that the Companion dialogue changes as your rapport increases... instead of them repeating the same things over and over. I have the frequency set at normal and that's fine for me... I do have to laugh at the in-combat dialogue when they tell ME how to fight.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you give them any of the Synergy abilities, they will talk an additional 40% more often telling you "HEY, USE MY BUFF!!" 2/3 of the time they use it.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my option set in the middle and that is fine for me. That said, I think OP's request is reasonable. Perhaps another option on the lower end like 'Rarely Comments' and another at the upper end for 'Very Chatty'. Five options does not seem excessive and would take nothing away from anyone I should think.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I do think the harvesting lines could be toned down but outside of that I actually wish he talked more.

I wish they had more LINES. Hearing the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over really makes me want to just shut them up completely.

Doesn't help that they put the "insecure but cool chick"-trope on Mirri. It would be nice to just once have a female companion that doesn't feel insecure about herself like a lost teenager. :s
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm one who wants more roleplaying comments, but I would happily turn most of Mirri's combat dialogue off it that was an option.

Mirri's battle-cry: "I like to think I'm agreeable!"

or "Eh, you lead..."

Yeah, that instills me with so much confidence about her abilities. :P
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing! I came here to write exactly about this! :D

The voice and the horrible lines of Bastian are insanely annoying. [snip] I have set the companion reactions to infrequent, and even so that horrendous toon never shuts up repeating over, over, and over again the same lines. [snip]

Anyway, I'd like to continue to use that [snip] NPC as a pet on a few characters, but I'd really like to shut up that thing.

I think that I already heard all lines at least one thousand times by now. It doesn't make any sense, those toons never surprises. [snip] they wrote very few lines -- it's ok, but let us shut up the companions. Please!

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 22 June 2021 12:12
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hearing a lot of this is making me glad I didn't spend money on that because it was the one thing that drove me up the wall in Skyrim. At least there I can fling them off a cliff when they become an inconvenience. Here it's just a matter of putting them away, which doesn't have the same feeling of catharsis I want in an Elder Scrolls game.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sephyr wrote: »
    Hearing a lot of this is making me glad I didn't spend money on that because it was the one thing that drove me up the wall in Skyrim. At least there I can fling them off a cliff when they become an inconvenience. Here it's just a matter of putting them away, which doesn't have the same feeling of catharsis I want in an Elder Scrolls game.

Made me LOL! :D
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It kinda sounds like you're assuming the only reason to have a companion is to talk to and that's not the case for a lot of people. It was the same in Skyrim too, Lydia was just there to carry my burdens, not for her conversation!

Sure, I could dismiss them but that means I can't use the Tank that I've spent hours levelling and a fortune gearing, just so I don't hear the same comments for the 30th time this hour.

It's great that you like to have them constantly chatting at you, I'm glad it works for you. Not everyone has the same preferences as you tho.

I have trouble with repetitive things. It's why I don't have game music on, why I don't have merchants and bankers out any longer than it takes to use them, and why I moved all my characters out of Mournhold before they reduced the appearances of those npcs - yes I can believe it!

I quite like hearing from them but at the moment it's too much even on infrequent (if you've ever tried it you'd know there is very little difference - I'm not even convinced it's actually working!). It's not really being unreasonable to ask for a little tweak that would make content we've paid for much more pleasant to use.
    PS4 EU
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    So someone not wanting them to talk as much, or at all, automatically means they shouldn't use the Companions?

Precisely, there's been several games now by Bethesda, You know how their companions are by you KNOW what you signed up for. This is how they are, this is how they've always been. It would be like asking Bioware to make their companions silent. And in this game, they don't carry your stuff, so there goes that excuse. Instead of filling up the board with the same complaints, simply don't use the entirely optional companions. No one is forcing anyone to endure this "pain" but themselves. If someone does not want companions to be companions, you shouldn't be rolling companions. It's very simple. "I want silent companions" which has never been an option in any single game by this company. Why should they now. Just like in the single player titles you aren't forced to go around with a companion. And you can entirely run a build to solo most of the non-vet content yourself.

Now, i'm not directing all this entirely at you specifically or the situation you have personally, moreso the people who are constantly whining on the board "omg this voice actor on this companion","my god mirri does this, bastian does this!!!" some of which coming from the same posters daily. Nobody is forcing you to run with them, stop wasting the devs time over something optional. This thread didn't even get many post despite it's views, because it's just not a huge issue for the majority. Most understand what companionss are.

Now something ZOS should spend some time fixing, all these quest update icons on Mirri LOL
    Edited by vallisas on 22 June 2021 02:53
  • Jacozilla
    Jacozilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the option to set companion chat frequency? Hadn’t noticed that was even an option so missed it
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    Jacozilla wrote: »
    Where is the option to set companion chat frequency? Hadn’t noticed that was even an option so missed it

Gameplay > Companion reactions
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gameplay > Companion reactions

This is good to know. I'm going to turn up Bastian's frequency and see if I can get him to say "I like Vampires" again.
    PCNA
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to settings gameplay
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally want more dialog from companions. I want to ask them about their life etc. To really understand their stories. Let's face it companions are a option, we should all try to talk about improvements, instead of moaning about the repetitious dialog. These are new let's hope they get tweaked.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alurria wrote: »
    I personally want more dialog from companions. I want to ask them about their life etc. To really understand their stories. Let's face it companions are a option, we should all try to talk about improvements, instead of moaning about the repetitious dialog. These are new let's hope they get tweaked.

I was expecting that too. I was expecting something much more interesting with more dialogue, better AI and a good text. Instead we got horrible childish and void lines that don't relate to nothing at all and a terrible, terrible AI. They are just bad NPCs, something like a pet but with a couple of repetitive lines. At this point I feel that Bastion is probably the worst NPC in the game, at least he's the most annoying one. :) The thing already told me so many times that he loves cities that I'm starting to hate cities :D That's a really bad game design. At this point no one cares if that character loves cities. There was no need to let the companions repeating the same things that they already said. They treated companions as any other NPC on the game, with the difference that they follow you annoying you everywhere. [snip], nothing that anyone was expecting.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 22 June 2021 12:15
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The thing already told me so many times that he loves cities that I'm starting to hate cities :D That's a really bad game design. At this point no one cares if that character loves cities. There was no need to let the companions repeating the same things that they already said.
    Exactly - some lines, like this with cities should be very, very rare. I understand more frequency with combat lines or something like "let's ride". I think [snip], where common lines have exactly the same rarity as others. It was nice to hear some of monologues and Bastian life philosphy, but I don't need to hear that 10 ten a day for rest of my life :D

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 22 June 2021 14:45