The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

If there will be a new class, it should be artificer

• ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bradyfjord wrote: »
    Lyserus wrote: »
    An Artificer class seems decent but then you mentioned how it would sing songs? Sorry no bards please, the whole concept of a Bard is incredibly stupid.

There is actually a bard class for ESO games up until skyrim (where the entire class concept was removed)

Well, Bards were and weren't in the games. As a concept, the bard in prior Elder Scrolls games was a roguish fighter with some illusion spells. Though what I think the OP is describing is something akin to Tonal Magic like the dwemer used.

Pretty much.

Bards as a class in previous games were a Stealth class focused on Intelligence and Personality, with skills focused on Alchemy, Blade, Block, Illusion, Light Armor, Mercantile, and Speechcraft.

Bards as an occupation in lore, are individuals who spend years training in the artistic nature of the word, studying prose, poetry, and song. They are storytellers and historians. They are just as responsible for recording the tales of those they come across in life as they are for filling the halls and taverns of Tamriel with joy and mirth (or sorrow if the occasion calls for it).

What they aren't are practitioners of the forgotten art of tonal magic that the deep-folk practiced. Those arts have been lost to time since those familiar in that lore have since gone.
    Options
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Artificer class seems decent but then you mentioned how it would sing songs? Sorry no bards please, the whole concept of a Bard is incredibly stupid.

There is actually a bard class for ESO games up until skyrim (where the entire class concept was removed)

And as another stated it was more a rogue who used illusion, not some kind of singer

Think logically, a bard is more a comic relief class, while the others are fighting they are there singing and dancing and that has no place in TES.

In the oldest rpg adaptations, bards were a combination of spy, wilderness ranger, folk hero, and advisor - inspired by the Celtic bard class of druids, and of certain fantasy concepts like MZB's Morgaine from Mists of Avalon. Only later did they become the slapstick jester.
    Options
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When I hear bard, I always think back to old pen-and-paper roleplay times. In those days, a friend played a bard. He or let´s say his skills were completely useless...
    Options
  • Arahallris
    Arahallris
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. Roll my eyes every time I see bard begging.
    Options
  • Supertonicbaker
    Supertonicbaker
    ✭✭✭
    I like the cut of your jib. Like an engineering class, channel for a second and send something looking like a dwarven spider at the person. The singing part could be something different than a bard. Like they can do a sort of medieval type chant, just a word or two, with the end syllable ringing out with a magical “chorus” and harmonizing with the chant. I think in music so I might make that type of character and play as them forever. :D
    Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hexi wrote: »
    An unarmed adept would actually make sense instead of this demi-god that can do everything. We also need conjured weapons skill-line so we can have a melee-mage.

well really every class has conjured weapons of some sort - remember that classes are a mix of the traditional magic schools that we know

Bards were basically rogues with good speech skills - they were not like D&D bards who perform combat through music.

All rogue-ish themed classes from TES games fall under the "Nightblade" umbrella.
    bluebird wrote: »
    Hydra9268 wrote: »
    Isn't a
    I had some ideas for class / skill lines in earlier threads, so I'll just link it here. :smiley:
    ZOS should either add a new Class, or a new Weapon, or a new Guild skill line.
    Because the cycle of buffing/nerfing the same abilities over and over again isn't exactly exciting.
    WoW and GW2, ESO's closest competitors regularly add new class abilities and interactions.

Whatever they do add, it should be 1) Lore-friendly, 2) Distinct from existing classes and 3) Interesting.
    The 'interesting' part is subjective, but here are some of my suggestions.

THE DWEMERMANCER - class (name subject to change :tongue:)
    This could be a skill line too, not just a class itself. It would be a Dwemer researcher/tinkerer person which is possible in ESO and would fulfil the 'engineer' archetype from other games (just as Warden was a 'druid/hunter' archetype addition). Some skill ideas include:
    tumblr_pgjviiUsDs1v9i19yo2_500.jpg
    • Dwemervamidium: based on the memento of the same name, this would be your class-specific shield. Manifesting a mechanical body-armor and doing general class-shield-type things (like Obsidian Shield, Bone Armor, Frost Cloak, etc).
    • Steam Blast: frontal Cone AoE spammable for damage
    • Focus Lens: laser beam attack, could be single target or pierce everything in a line.
    • Dwemer Sphere: Launch a Dwemer Sphere in a straight line, knocking down the first target hit
    • March of Spiders: Command your squad of Dwemer Spiders to use their claws to tunnel up and create uneven ground. Ground-targeted AoE damage over time with a snare or offbalance component. If your Dwemer Sphere hits targets in your March of Spiders, your constructs will short-circuit, stunning everything in the area.
    • Centurion: Ultimate, summons a Dwemer Centurion that starts spinning after 3 seconds, knocking back everything in the area for 5 seconds. (Imagine the possibilites in PvP!!! :smiley: During the 3 seconds arming phase, it can be CC-ed or pull-chained away, but afterwards it becomes immune.)
    THE SPELLFOCUS - weapon
    Magicka specs are really boring with only staves, so finally we could use a different Magicka weapon! It would be classified as a 'two-hander' in terms of stats and set bonuses, but you'd have a magical focus floating next to you, and you'd use your free hands to cast spells. Alternatively, it could be a guild skill line too.
    afcbd7a4f757426428c650043faaf7ae.jpg
    • Light Attack: would use the Force Pulse visuals, you'd shoot an elemental blast from your hand. Enchantments on the focus affect the damage and visuals of the LA (Fire damage Glyph will make it a fireblast, etc).
    • Heavy Attack: would use the Vampire Drain visual, casting with two hands
    • Combust: single target spammable, you make your target erupt with Magicka dealing damage to them, and splashing minor damage to enemies around it too.
    • Echo of Magicka: enemies in the ground AoE take damage over time, with a different morph that regens resources for you instead
    • Incantation: You raise both hands and cast a cone of magic. AoE spammable, but channelled like Jabs.
    • Spellwave: Ult, release a wide wave of magic that travels froward, dealing minor damage while applying a random status effect to each (burning, concussed, chilled), and leaving a powerful DoT on your targets for major damage
    THE ELDER SCHOLAR- guild skill line
    We come across a group of Moth Priests who study the Elder Scrolls, and join their order to learn some long-forgotten techniques. We only get brief glimpses of the parts they deem safe, but we learn more about the prophecies in the scrolls.
    300?cb=20120114045230
    • Prophecy of Resurrection: Foretell Mannimarco's return, resurrecting your allies (like Reanimate from Necro).
    • Prophecy of Disappearance: Foretell the Dwemer's disappearance (a bit late :lol:), causing you to phase out of existence and be immune to damage.
    • Prophecy of Destruction: Foretell Vvardenfell's destruction, opening a rift in the sky to rain down rocks and magma on the target area.
    • Prophecy of Portals: Foretell Mehrunes Dagon's invasion, creating an Oblivion Gate at the target area and at your location. Allies near the Gates can use the Synergy to teleport to the other gate (like Frozen Gate from Warden).
    • Prophecy of Dragons: Foretell the rise of Dragons, invoking the shout of Alduin which quickly spreads from your location to cover a circular area around you then causes all enemies caught in the thuum to tremble in fear.
    Pretty sure that's an engineering class. Both WOW and Guild Wars 2 have engineering classes. They work well especially in PVP.
    Yeah, I do mention that it would fill the 'tinkerer / engineer' trope, but in ESO Lore the friendliest approach would be to link that to Dwemer. And yeah, engineer stuff is super fun, you can really let your creativity fly (kinda how ESO came up with the Druid/Ranger archetype Warden and started chucking birds at people because why not apparently).
    Please stop with the Dwemer ***, it's a race that should be shrouded in mystery. Just because the players have a lot of meta knowledge gathered over the years doesn't mean every random hobo knows anything about Dwemer. Even Sotha Sil knows next to nothing, and he fought them!
    Dwemer technology has nothing to do with the race. This thread isn't asking for a Dwemer race, it's asking for a class / skill line that utilizes Dwemer technology, which we can clearly see ingame like with Neramo or Tharayya, and Sotha Sil's CW creations are pretty close to that level of complexity too. :smile:
    No they aren't. Sotha Sil's stuff is powered by his own essence and magic. and the Clockword City is tiny, you just become miniaturized to access it.

No one has any idea how the Dwemer constructs are built, or even how to make the metal they are made out of.
    "Some researchers, such as Neramo and Aicantar, have managed to control automatons by reverse-engineering and readjusting them. The Tribunal god Sotha Sil was also known to have tinkered with Dwemer constructs, beyond the capabilities of even the most talented individuals.His mechanical creations, known as Fabricants and Factotums, are similar" - UESP

We don't need to make Dwemer Brass, we regularly use it already in our crafting. :smile: We craft armors and furniture from them regularly. We don't need to smelt it from scratch, there are plenty lying around. Same with the constructs. We don't need to make new ones, when we can command existing ones.
    I have no idea where this "reverse-engineer" stuff comes from, probably out of someone's ass, but no one has ever controlled them without a control rod, and those are exceedingly rare. Sotha Sil has taken them apart, yes, but even he cannot replicate them hence he made his own. Once Sotha Sil dies, they all stop, they aren't like Dwemer constructs.
    Exceedingly rare you say? About as rare as... a Vestige, hm? :wink: There's no reason player characters shouldn't be able to do it as a class. How many wardens do you know in the world, and in lore, really?

If you hate the idea, that's your opinion, fine. I'm not trying to make you like it. :smile: I'm just highlighting that it wouldn't be impossible, because we wouldn't need to make new anything when it's just there. And yet, we still create new constructs from existing materials... including assembling Dwemer Theodolite, the Dwemer Scarab, a Dwarven Wolf.
    Stumbling on a control rod doesn't make you an "engineer", or an expert in Dwemer constructs. Nor does it magically make you able to tinker with them. Having an item isn't a class.
    A control rod could easily be used by someone with the knowledge (my freshly washed up, level 3 DC character could do it on Stros M'kai :smiley:). Since a character class should have more understanding, we could assume our PC got a similar education background like Neramo (clearly, Sorcerers also learned Daedric Summoning somewhere, DKs learned Akaviri Battlespirit martial arts, etc). So literally nobody said that the class would be based on having an item alone, without understanding/study.

This is clearly proven by Antiquities, in which our totally random characters with random classes have already re-assambled 2 functioning Dwemer constructs from component parts. A Dwemer Theodolite was reassembled without any Antiquarian study / knowledge / research group in fact, and was just put together by dungeon dwelling adventurers. All of that is possible for our characters in ESO right now. Controlling existing constructs is even less of a technical challenge.

As for the 'meta-lore' argument, controlling existing Dwemer constructs really doesn't require solving any mysteries. You find a stick, you poke the constructs enough, with different voltages, etc, it will be enough to perform the what 6 skills you would need to get out of constructs. And the state of the lore isn't absolute. Nobody in the present knows about the Dwemer... but no lore says that nobody throghout the years managed to manipulate some constructs in basic ways... there are just no known records of it. Kinda like how all Snow Elves were supposed to be extinct (until Dawngard), or how the Dragons were supposed to be gone (except y'know a metric ton of them during Elsweyr which conveniently everybody from upcoming ages forgot about). :tongue:

You don't need a new class for that, just a World Skill line would be enough. It could even be an extention of antiquities where you have to dig up a working control rod that then unlocks a constrict skill you can slot like Sorc pets with an "jolt" ulti that makes it do something.

In my opinion, we shouldn't have classes at all.

Well it is too late at this point.

I don't see a "Dwarvish Tech Class" happening. I don't think it fits with the idea of Dwemer being mysterious
    Options
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I first want them to finish all the classes they started: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Battlemage
    Options
  • Rossmann
    Rossmann
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, we need a Battlemage or Spellsword class and if you guys really want to some mystery related story, Ayleids would be a better choice for a story, settings ( you can use anywhere in Tamriel as they expanded everywhere, primarily Cyrodiil) and for some future storytelling as ZOS loves Daedric princes. Also we have way more told lore about them cause they were major part of today's imperial culture, society etc...

I am sick of Dwemer (also Daedra) related stuff afterall Morrowind,CWC,Greymoor chapters.
    Edited by Rossmann on 12 May 2021 01:31
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is way too much and would strain my immersion in the lore tbh. Why wouldn't someone know the th'um and tonal magic? It makes no sense.

Feels like one of those things that are like a play yard class "My guy is a ninja and a superhero and he drives a giant robot and he can beat up Superman AND Batman!"

It's doing too much
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 12 May 2021 07:37
    Options
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I saw last year a concept for a chapter storyline on the forum
    It was called bronze legion or something
    It had a cool concept for a dwemer artificer
    It involved some kind of aoe that could be used to overcharge your construct increasing their Damage/healing/support effect
    It was really complete with all skill an passive
    Options