The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Population Cap in Cyro?

Anony_Mouse
Anony_Mouse
✭✭✭✭
Could someone clarify what the population cap for any one campaign in Cyro is please?
  • Is there a room for a total number of players across the entire campaign, say 300, and if so, is that number split evenly between factions?
  • Say the max number of players on a campaign is 300. Is it then max 100/100/100 or could it be end up being allocated as 150/110/40?
  • If a guild ports in with 48 players, say, do they take up half of an alliance's population numbers? Or more, of the cap is 50 per alliance?
I have not been able to find this information online in any guides and it has been a question on my mind for quite some time.
  • Anony_Mouse
    Anony_Mouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    so... no one actually knows. That is worrisome.
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they've ever officially said. My guess would be somewhere between 80 and 100 per faction at the moment.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fraction of what it used to be.

The cap is per faction and does not vary due to time of day or how many are on for the other factions.

Edit: The guild is irrelevant. If a group entered with X number of players they would fill that many spots in the pop cap. If the number of spaces is X-1 they will have to wait based on faded memory of queuing as a group. It is better to queue separately and group once in the campaign.
    Edited by idk on 4 August 2020 01:28
  • Daviiid_ESO
    Daviiid_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

The cap is per faction and does not vary due to time of day or how many are on for the other factions.

Edit: The guild is irrelevant. If a group entered with X number of players they would fill that many spots in the pop cap. If the number of spaces is X-1 they will have to wait based on faded memory of queuing as a group. It is better to queue separately and group once in the campaign.

Not since the change to group queing. If you queue as a group you all get queued seperately but in a row.

But to answer the OP, it should be equal numbers across all alliances yes.
    Edited by Daviiid_ESO on 5 August 2020 21:15
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is equal numbers for sure, but we don't know the exact number the cap is, and never have to the best of my knowledge.

We know the pop cap for cyro has decreased radcially at least once, and likely at least one other time. Most people think the original pop cap was 500/faction. Then it was reduced to 250/faction, and now it's 150/faction. ....and performance is worse than it's ever been right now.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    ^ This. Not uncommon now to queue for a while, finally enter only to discover a couple of 24-player groups and some randoms making up the entire faction population.

PS4NA
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im pretty sure its really low now, at midyear mayhem the temporary campaigns was likely even less than the current ones. Faction lock and not a fight on the map.
    AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

• Eclipze
    Eclipze
    ✭✭
    Could someone clarify what the population cap for any one campaign in Cyro is please?
    • Is there a room for a total number of players across the entire campaign, say 300, and if so, is that number split evenly between factions?
    • Say the max number of players on a campaign is 300. Is it then max 100/100/100 or could it be end up being allocated as 150/110/40?
    • If a guild ports in with 48 players, say, do they take up half of an alliance's population numbers? Or more, of the cap is 50 per alliance?
    I have not been able to find this information online in any guides and it has been a question on my mind for quite some time.

Back then it was Advertized as a 100 v 100 v 100 across all 3 factions in cyrodiil, im not sure if they changed anything or increased or decreased the limit but im 100% sure that was what it was back then and probably still now unless they increased the limit.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was 200x 200 X 200 at one point tben it got nerfed

To what I have no idea.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    about 3 months into the game zos came out and said how the caps worked for the alliances, we dont have exact numbers atm but its never been one solid number for all 3 sides. They did however say that if one alliance consistently had a higher number of players they would have a higher locked state at exactly 15% higher than the second highest pop alliance and second could also receive 15% higher than the third. i can only assume this was put in place the appease the incredible amount of EP players that came from skyrim and they had 0 chance of telling players to roll the other alliances. This information was posted around 5 and a half years ago so lets assume the original backlash from them posting this info was enough for them to both shutup about it and change it. So whats the current pop cap at? around 125 is my guess and no its not the same for all 3 sides
  • Fubar8
    Fubar8
    ✭✭
    given numbers seem so little to me to cause the lag. In case that's the truth then server performance is worse than I think.
    A server that can't deal with 20 men fighting.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be 200 per alliance, then it was changed to 150 per alliance... so I would not be surprised if ZOS changed to something like 120 or 100 now. They never say this kind of info in Patch Notes... Maybe they hope it will improve performance in this "shady" way...
    Fubar8 wrote: »
    given numbers seem so little to me to cause the lag. In case that's the truth then server performance is worse than I think.
    It all depends if there is a group. If you have 20 solo players running together then for the most part it is fine. But as soon as there will be a group (even small scale, like 5 people) it starts to lag. So if you have 12 or 24 man group, even if nothing happens and this group is just passing by - lag goes crazy. Worst case scenario is if a large group (aka ball group) joins already big fight - then it may even result in a server kick for random / unfortunate players.

^ That is why I think that AOE cool-downs wont help at all. The issue is almost only occurring if there is group involved in a fight. I think that for 99% the issue is related with how group is coded in eso.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    about 3 months into the game zos came out and said how the caps worked for the alliances, we dont have exact numbers atm but its never been one solid number for all 3 sides. They did however say that if one alliance consistently had a higher number of players they would have a higher locked state at exactly 15% higher than the second highest pop alliance and second could also receive 15% higher than the third. i can only assume this was put in place the appease the incredible amount of EP players that came from skyrim and they had 0 chance of telling players to roll the other alliances. This information was posted around 5 and a half years ago so lets assume the original backlash from them posting this info was enough for them to both shutup about it and change it. So whats the current pop cap at? around 125 is my guess and no its not the same for all 3 sides

Yeah and I am assuming it's still true. Like they want to let people waiting in a que to get in so the lock just slows it down. And it feels like even though all factions can be truly pop locked, the game performs worse when there is a couple factions with a queue. Almost like it's running some checks on the campaign bogging it down.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No idea but I am beginning to think the problem on ESO side is programing for groups in general. You always hear about problems in Cyro and in trials and dungeons but just running around PVE the lag is so much better. The more I think about it goes to the base code not working right with groups. Just my 2 cents.

Be safe and have fun :)
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pop cap for cyrodiil is set at 600 players curently.

- 250 Red
    - 250 Blue
    - 100 Yelow
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be 200 per alliance, then it was changed to 150 per alliance... so I would not be surprised if ZOS changed to something like 120 or 100 now. They never say this kind of info in Patch Notes... Maybe they hope it will improve performance in this "shady" way...
    Fubar8 wrote: »
    It all depends if there is a group. If you have 20 solo players running together then for the most part it is fine. But as soon as there will be a group (even small scale, like 5 people) it starts to lag. So if you have 12 or 24 man group, even if nothing happens and this group is just passing by - lag goes crazy. Worst case scenario is if a large group (aka ball group) joins already big fight - then it may even result in a server kick for random / unfortunate players.

^ That is why I think that AOE cool-downs wont help at all. The issue is almost only occurring if there is group involved in a fight. I think that for 99% the issue is related with how group is coded in eso.

Our guild runs an event where we take a lot of PVEers in for AP (and booze) into lower pop cyrodiil. Lately the pop has not been so low as it seems more people are avoiding Gray Host. From 2 bars, possibly on the high end; you get to a raid size or so, the later shows hit a queue. Makes me think the limit is 60-80.

As much as players enjoy that in our guild, I still am an advocate of much smaller groups with limited cross healing and my pipe dream for years of combining campaigns to a single scoreboard encompassing all, with dynamic population locks and ability to chose faction to fight for with the population information open to you in order to make a decision on how likely you'll hit a queue when the scoring starts. Not good for the masses we bring but I feel there would be better fights, population more evenly spread out for less lag. Will never happen now that they make money off faction change.
  • Anony_Mouse
    Anony_Mouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    The pop cap for cyrodiil is set at 600 players curently.

- 250 Red
    - 250 Blue
    - 100 Yelow

It sure feels that way 😅
  • thalosdaedra
    thalosdaedra
    ✭✭
    140/250/70