The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer's Overload Not considered as an ultimate ?

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    Roboplus wrote: »
    robpr wrote: »
    In execute phase when magicka is low, Energy Overload morph allow squeeze a lot of Furys, increasing damage significally.
    Only If you were running out Magicka and at the expense of reduced dps the rest of the fight. Doesn’t sound like a good idea
    Perhaps that would be easier to address then. Give Overload a passive so you're not experiencing reduced DPS during the rest of the fight.

A complete rework would probably be for the best, but would be far less likely to happen.

It would be less work but it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Ultimates are the to serve an individual role and having 2/3 class ults do the same thing (increased dps) is terrible design. Overload used to be a burst dmg ult for PvP and a utility ult, through its 3rd bar. Now it has no role. Sorc has no healing ult, no tanking ult, no burst dmg ult. It has an area denial ult (Negate) and dps ult (Atro) so to make the 3rd ult same as the second is lazy and bad design.

Spot on.

Odd is the players who wanted it....cant get my head around it.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atro is AOE / Single target and area holding ultimate and only does good dps if you're built for pets

Overload is still utility, it provides magicka regen and single target dps that hits as hard as curse / pulse, basically doubling the damage of your LA's.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the frustration on your end, but I also get why it doesnt proc MA. That said, overload needs scrapped and reworked from the ground up. Totally F'ing useless.

Preach.
    MalagenR wrote: »
    I mean, it's really not useless, any build centered around crushing shock for PVE DPS can use this ultimate very nicely.

You can use anything, doesn't mean it's efficient. You could use Dawnbreaker if you wanted. There's better options for literally any content. Any half decent PvE raid (not even talking about top 10 elite guilds) would probably kick you on the spot if they saw you overloading a boss. Because not only is Atro stronger dps for you individually, but it also gives another DPS Major Berserk for 8".

lol you asked me where I use it and then ignored where I use it, I don't raid, also my build can pull 40k-50k DPS which is perfectly fine for any of these guilds

You don't have to run what everyone else is running in ESO. Especially if you have years and years of experience in a game like this.

ESO is easy.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, it's really not useless, any build centered around crushing shock for PVE DPS can use this ultimate very nicely.

Crushing Shock? Not exactly a meta DPS spammable. Most sorcs are using the psijic spammable these days if trying to push PVE damage, or at a minimum, they are using Force Pulse if they are too lazy to farm the psijic line.

Sure, of course you can use it, but you will do better dropping a storm attro on their head. Nobody anywhere near the cutting edge of PVE DPS is using overload. Other than a very niche Overload Ganker in PVP, "totally f'ing useless" is about as close as I can get.

Again, in most Vet hard mode DLC or otherwise content and VMA you want crushing over force - sometimes it's weird to see people like you telling everyone else what's good and what's bad when you make a comment like this -

Overload isn't used in ganker builds anymore. It's used as a pressure ultimate in PVP. In BG's it's even more ridiculous because 1 sorc + any other DPS focusing somebody with a sorc using this ultimate and that person will die.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In execute phase when magicka is low, Energy Overload morph allow squeeze a lot of Furys, increasing damage significally.
    Only If you were running out Magicka and at the expense of reduced dps the rest of the fight. Doesn’t sound like a good idea
    Perhaps that would be easier to address then. Give Overload a passive so you're not experiencing reduced DPS during the rest of the fight.

A complete rework would probably be for the best, but would be far less likely to happen.

Ultimates are the to serve an individual role and having 2/3 class ults do the same thing (increased dps) is terrible design. Overload used to be a burst dmg ult for PvP and a utility ult, through its 3rd bar. Now it has no role. Sorc has no healing ult, no tanking ult, no burst dmg ult. It has an area denial ult (Negate) and dps ult (Atro) so to make the 3rd ult same as the second is lazy and bad design.

I disagree - negate is area denial, atro is a damage over time pet, and overload USED to be a burst ultimate. That made it different 3nough from the other two.

There's no question in my mind that overload is a crappy ult in every way. Usually class ultimates offer *something* unique and desirable over those that are available to everyone with a pulse.

The only thing the new overload offers is the ability to weave a clunky, slow, blockable, dodgeable, and reflectable projectile along with normal skills.
    To add insult to injury, it doesn'tt do a LOT of damage on it's own. The heavy attack is terrible as well compared to most non-class ults. Given how slow the heavy overload is to use, I can't see anyone purposely slotting the skill for that.
    Edited by Minalan on 1 March 2019 19:35
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Terrible ult that’s a non-ult.

Lower single target DPS than Storm Atro, lower AoE dps than Destro Ult, no special utility anymore (RIP 3rd bar), not enough burst to be useful for PvP unlike meteor, too slow projectile that’s easy to block or dodge....

Just kill it already. Replace it with something useful either for PvE or PvP. What’s missing the most is either a burst dmg ult (so we don’t have to clutch on Meteor) or one that increases survivability via either high dmg mitigation or healing (like Magma Armor or Soul Siphon)

hmmm, I would happily trade Magma Armor for Overload on my mDK. Combined with Armaments it would be f++king amazing. Foss + whip + lash + full heavy OL
    Edited by Xvorg on 1 March 2019 19:42
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

I disagree - negate is area denial, atro is a damage over time pet, and overload USED to be a burst ultimate. That made it different 3nough from the other two.

There's no question in my mind that overload is a crappy ult in every way. Usually class ultimates offer *something* unique and desirable over those that are available to everyone with a pulse.

The only thing the new overload offers is the ability to weave a clunky, slow, blockable, dodgeable, and reflectable projectile along with normal skills.
    To add insult to injury, it doesn'tt do a LOT of damage on it's own. The heavy attack is terrible as well compared to most non-class ults. Given how slow the heavy overload is to use, I can't see anyone purposely slotting the skill for that.

Sooo... you agree?
    EU | PC | AD
  • Roboplus
    Roboplus
    ✭✭✭

I think Absorption field is a fine heal ult. I've used it to heal through the poison in DC2 on a Stam character.

But if you think Overload should further benefit a healer/tank (both can use the Magicka restoration), there's no reason the passive couldn't benefit healers/tanks as well. What about something like passive Minor Heroism for one morph while the other gets reduced block cost? Or giving all Overload morphs a passive 1 Ultimate per 1.5 seconds while in combat that stacks with Minor Heroism?
    Edited by Roboplus on 1 March 2019 19:58
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

Sooo... you agree?

With making it a burst ultimate? Yes. :lol:
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Crushing Shock? Not exactly a meta DPS spammable. Most sorcs are using the psijic spammable these days if trying to push PVE damage, or at a minimum, they are using Force Pulse if they are too lazy to farm the psijic line.

Sure, of course you can use it, but you will do better dropping a storm attro on their head. Nobody anywhere near the cutting edge of PVE DPS is using overload. Other than a very niche Overload Ganker in PVP, "totally f'ing useless" is about as close as I can get.

Again, in most Vet hard mode DLC or otherwise content and VMA you want crushing over force - sometimes it's weird to see people like you telling everyone else what's good and what's bad when you make a comment like this -

Overload isn't used in ganker builds anymore. It's used as a pressure ultimate in PVP. In BG's it's even more ridiculous because 1 sorc + any other DPS focusing somebody with a sorc using this ultimate and that person will die.

Getting wildly off topic, but I also wildly disagree. Haha. I am not saying Crushing Shock is not situationaly useful, but there are so few encounters where I believe it's actually better. It will also get you murdered in round 7 of VMA if you interrupt the scream. In PVP, I agree its a better option most of the time.

End of the day, overload is a shadow of its former self. It has lost all utility, and is just not strong enough to merit a bar spot if you are trying to maximize your DPS. It is also redundent at this point becuase sorcs really dont need two damage ultimates, especially when when is better 90%+ of the time. In PVE, Atro is better for damage. In PVP, Negate, Meteor, Dawnbreaker, Undo, Resto ulitmate, and probably a few more would make my bars before overload did.