Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What Order Should I Do ESO's Story Arcs? - A Guide

• amuridee
    amuridee
    I found it on reddit hope its usefull for all of you.
    All credit goes to the original creator of this Theyn_Tundris

lfzcb3da62t51.png
    Edited by amuridee on 1 July 2021 16:45
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated for Dark Heart of Skyrim and Flames of Ambition. I also added a new "Additional Guide" section to highlight some guides I think are particularly fantastic resources for players who might stumble across mine and want something different. Its far from an exhaustive list of great guides, of course!
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    I've played since beta 2013. I loved the original cold open of this game. I still recommend this thread as the best information available for brand new players who are confused by all the starter options. It's especially a great companion read for the newest Flames of Ambition tutorial on Balfiera Island!

First your very first character, I always personally recommend doing the original storyline based upon your character's chosen faction for full immersion experience & a great understanding of the lore in chronological order.

Thank you, @VaranisArano for keeping this amazing community contribution updated! CHEERS, keto
    Updated for Dark Heart of Skyrim and Flames of Ambition. I also added a new "Additional Guide" section to highlight some guides I think are particularly fantastic resources for players who might stumble across mine and want something different. Its far from an exhaustive list of great guides, of course!

“The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated to better describe the new Isle of Balfiera tutorial, which removes all the previous Chapter tutorials.

For players interested in starting with the Main Quest right away, none of the options let you do so directly. Your best bet is to pick one of the Chapter zones since their starting locations have nearby wayshrines, igbore the beckoning questgivers, and travel to a large city or your alliance's starter city and get the quest from the Hooded Figure.
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    Uh oh, I did it all donkey backwards....

I've already completed all Prologues after completing Cold Harbour, getting Dark Brotherhood/Outlaw, Guilds except Psijic(DLC I don't have).....

I'm now just 1/4 of way into Auridon slowly working my way North by zigzagging and picking up every quest as I go....

Hehe...
  • amuridee
    amuridee
    I found it on reddit hope its usefull for all of you.
    All credit goes to the original creator of this Theyn_Tundris

Update for Blackwood Chapter
    hwhbrvwf06u61.png

Edited by amuridee on 2 July 2021 02:37
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭
    remember the line: 6. Experience the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Imperial City, and Murkmire DLCs and Craglorn, in whatever order you want.

I would add:
    as well as (but after "The Tharn Speaks" and before the Elsweyr Chapter) *
    Frostvault / Iceflow Rift — Eastmarch (Wrathstone DLC)
    Depths of Malatar — Gold Coast (Wrathstone DLC)
    as well as (but after "Daughter of Giants" and before the Greymoor Chapter) **
    Icereach — Sea of Ghosts (Harrowstorm DLC)
    Unhallowed Grave — Bangkorai (Harrowstorm DLC)
    as well as (but after "Orsinium" and before the Blackwood Chapter) ***
    Black Drake Villa — Gold Coast (Flames of Ambition DLC)
    The Cauldron — Deshaan (Flames of Ambition DLC)

* Abner Tharn is no longer in Coldharbour
    ** Lyris of Skyrim is free
    *** you already have met Eveli Sharp-Arrow
    During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
    In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashnarug wrote: »
    remember the line: 6. Experience the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Imperial City, and Murkmire DLCs and Craglorn, in whatever order you want.

I would add:
    as well as (but after "The Tharn Speaks" and before the Elsweyr Chapter) *
    Frostvault / Iceflow Rift — Eastmarch (Wrathstone DLC)
    Depths of Malatar — Gold Coast (Wrathstone DLC)
    as well as (but after "Daughter of Giants" and before the Greymoor Chapter) **
    Icereach — Sea of Ghosts (Harrowstorm DLC)
    Unhallowed Grave — Bangkorai (Harrowstorm DLC)
    as well as (but after "Orsinium" and before the Blackwood Chapter) ***
    Black Drake Villa — Gold Coast (Flames of Ambition DLC)
    The Cauldron — Deshaan (Flames of Ambition DLC)

* Abner Tharn is no longer in Coldharbour
    ** Lyris of Skyrim is free
    *** you already have met Eveli Sharp-Arrow

Those are included in step 8-10 in order of chronological release.

Technically you could do them earlier and not run into continuity snarls. Like it's really not going to matter if you do the Wrathstone or Harrowstorm dungeons during Step 6.

However, for the sake of simplicity, order of chronological release is the best way I've found to keep everything straight. It's easy for things to get confusing when you start mixing story arcs, since some of the NPCs in side quests crossover from Chapter to Chapter. I'm hesitant to recommend doing the Flames of Ambition dungeons in Step 6, but then players have to do other story content in Vvardenfell, Summerset, etc. to have a preexisting relationship with all the side quest NPCs in the Blackwood chapter.

So if you want to run them "early," go for it! I prefer to keep the various parts of the story arcs together so that the story stays cohesive.
  • Glacku808
    Glacku808
    ✭✭✭
    Hate to ask - but is there any area that is catered to learning about the Aedra? Or quests that are Aedric in nature as opposed to Daedric, something for a Paladin or Priestly character?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glacku808 wrote: »
    Hate to ask - but is there any area that is catered to learning about the Aedra? Or quests that are Aedric in nature as opposed to Daedric, something for a Paladin or Priestly character?

There's nothing that's quite like TES IV Oblivion's Knights of the Nine DLC or Skyrim's Vigilants of Stendarr.

However, the majority of ESO's content isn't explicitly Daedric either. Many zones will feature opposition to Daedric plots. In some zones, you may have to ally with some of the Daedra that are more friendly to mortals, such as Azura, Meridia, their worshippers, or Lyranth in order to oppose Daedra who are much worse for mortals.

It'll really be up to you to determine what level of shades of gray your Paladin is comfortable with.

If you are willing to work with certain Daedra for the greater good, then pretty much every zone is open to you. A Paladin will probably avoid the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLC.

If you aren't willing to deal with Daedra in any capacity, it gets rougher. Zones that involve some level of working with daedra or their worshippers: Stormhaven, Coldharbor, Morrowind, Summerset, Blackwood, and the Deadlands. Riverspire, Greymoor, and Markarth will involve working with your friendly neighborhood vampires. (Questlines impacted include the Main Quest, Daggerfall Covenant, the Daedric Wars, Dark Heart of Skyrim, and Gates of Oblivion.)

If your Paladin is so strict that they don't want to deal with the Tribunal too, then they'll miss out on: Stonefalls, Deshaan, Vvardenfell, Clockwork City, Summerset.

Of course you can roleplay however you'd like, but for the sake of gameplay, I think it'll be easier if your Paladin is willing to work with some Daedra/vampires for the greater good.
  • Quenzar
    Quenzar
    Excellent post, thanks for putting this together.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated for the "Legacy of the Bretons" content:
    Ascending Tide
    High Isle
    Lost Depths
    Firesong (Q4)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated for Shadows of Morrowind: Scribes of Fate, Necrom Prologue, and Necrom Chapter