The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Jewelry Crafting: Get ready for the worst grind in ESO's history

• Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Right now, there is literally no reason to even level Jewelry crafting. I mean, farming gold VO jewelry in vAA is a lot faster than grinding weeks for purple Hundings jewelry.
    Options
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    Right now, there is literally no reason to even level Jewelry crafting. I mean, farming gold VO jewelry in vAA is a lot faster than grinding weeks for purple Hundings jewelry.

I suppose it all depends what your goal is. I've been working on master crafter since Jan 2017 and I am 6 days away from my last trait (literally the last trait out of all the research lines....Powered Maul). For me, this represents a new crafting line that I can tend and curate.

And - I also believe ZOS will eventually loosen the requirements for jewelry crafting as it gains more traction (i.e. when the next DLC or chapter is released). If/when that happens, the time and effort spent in jewelry crafting will pay dividends.

I'm taking the long view and going for the gamble.
    Options
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DuskMarine wrote: »
    why do people whine so much when zos adds something awesome jeese be glad were getting new content. not to mention why would they just hand you golden bis jewelry

People always whine and hate grinding. Only mentally *** person and person who needs mental help only likes grinding. People want more content. Not mindless grinding. Is developer in competent or lazy or greedy to put meaningful content ? Why would anyone pay for grindfest and fillers.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on 10 May 2018 17:23
    Options
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    DuskMarine wrote: »
    why do people whine so much when zos adds something awesome jeese be glad were getting new content. not to mention why would they just hand you golden bis jewelry

People always whine and hate grinding. Only mentally *** person and person who needs mental help only likes grinding. People want more content. Not mindless grinding. Is developer in competent or lazy or greedy to put meaningful content ? Why would anyone pay for grindfest and fillers.

New content? Er...what? There's an entire chapter full of new content coming in less than 2 weeks. Additionally, there are several significant changes to the base game coming along with the next update.

Are you a paying customer? Or a free-loading whiner? Just curious.
    Options
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the ease of getting purple jewelry, I think they should make jewelry crafting a direct equal to materials needed compared to other crafting professions for improvement to epic (purple) levels. I think cutting the jewelry material requirements for legendary (gold) improvements in half of what they are on PTS would be a good compromise.

This would basically equal no/minimal grind to craft jewelry and improve to purple, but would still require a sizable grind to improve crafted/dropped rings to gold. It's still a bare minimum of deconstructing 40 gold jewelry pieces or refining an estimated 8500 raw materials (based on that one post some pages ago in this thread). Gold jewelry is what ZOS should be focusing on keeping "special" and not crippling the ability to craft ALL jewelry.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    With the ease of getting purple jewelry, I think they should make jewelry crafting a direct equal to materials needed compared to other crafting professions for improvement to epic (purple) levels. I think cutting the jewelry material requirements for legendary (gold) improvements in half of what they are on PTS would be a good compromise.

This would basically equal no/minimal grind to craft jewelry and improve to purple, but would still require a sizable grind to improve crafted/dropped rings to gold. It's still a bare minimum of deconstructing 40 gold jewelry pieces or refining an estimated 8500 raw materials (based on that one post some pages ago in this thread). Gold jewelry is what ZOS should be focusing on keeping "special" and not crippling the ability to craft ALL jewelry.

Yes that would be better but it would still be a band-aid for a "problem" with multiple easier solutions. The basic problem with their approach to jc crafting is that we're not buying that jewelry deserves a 10X trait and upgrade mats requirement relative to the other 9 gear slots.
    • They are already heading down the road of "perfect" gear for the hardest elite content. That takes care of getting gear in lower difficulty content and then upgrading it to be the same as what drops in elite content.
    • They could easily separate upgrading drops from upgrading crafted jewelry by adding a simple extra component with a rareish RNG drop chance in order to upgrade drops but not crafted.

Those are just two possible other ways of accomplishing the same goal while still making jewelry crafting fun and accessible for new players and casuals. I'm sure there are many other ways also if they just put their thinking caps for a moment.
    Options
  • Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll say again that I hope they reverse the current mechanics and make this fun. I'd be fine with them making it a heavy grind to make gold jewelry, but the rest? Sheez man, just put it on par with all other crafting. And don't wait a year to finally get around to it. Make it this way by launch of Summerset in the next couple of weeks.
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, but jewelry crafting would allow, you know, crafting sets also possessing jewelry now. I can't see anyone farming for green hundings rings.

The differences between Green and Purple or even Gold are not so bad that you want to give up the set bonus. The small difference is not going to be a factor in most combat. What, is it like 1% in the spread when all is said and done? But the set bonuses can be huge. Besides, its an average of your pieces, so the improved ones bring up the numbers.

But, your right the upgrade grind is going to give a new definition to the word grind. At least for this game. I hope they monitor the numbers closely and free up the resources over time.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »

Yes that would be better but it would still be a band-aid for a "problem" with multiple easier solutions. The basic problem with their approach to jc crafting is that we're not buying that jewelry deserves a 10X trait and upgrade mats requirement relative to the other 9 gear slots.
    • They are already heading down the road of "perfect" gear for the hardest elite content. That takes care of getting gear in lower difficulty content and then upgrading it to be the same as what drops in elite content.
    • They could easily separate upgrading drops from upgrading crafted jewelry by adding a simple extra component with a rareish RNG drop chance in order to upgrade drops but not crafted.

Those are just two possible other ways of accomplishing the same goal while still making jewelry crafting fun and accessible for new players and casuals. I'm sure there are many other ways also if they just put their thinking caps for a moment.

As I suggested in one of my previous posts, the balancing of JCrafting would be following:
    • JCrafting, and upgrading should be equal to the other crafting professions. This also includes raw materials and their refinement.
    • Upgrading Dungeon or Trial jewelry should require an extra component, which will randomly drop at the last boss of the Dungeon or Trial. A purple upgrade-item on Normal, a gold upgrade-item on Veteran and a guaranteed gold upgrade-item on Hardmode.
    • There is a difference between the Dungeon and Trial drop- You can't farm veteran hardmode Dungeons for your War-Machine rings.
    This would eliminate the horrendous grind for crafted and overland sets and at the same time it would keep the value and rarity of Dungeon/Trial jewelry.

From a Stam-DD standpoint of view, there is literally no point on farming weeks for purple Hunding's Rage jewelry when I can get golden Vicious Ophidian jewelry from vAA in a day or two.
    Edited by Facefister on 11 May 2018 02:06
    Options
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭

As I suggested in one of my previous posts, the balancing of JCrafting would be following:
    • JCrafting, and upgrading should be equal to the other crafting professions. This also includes raw materials and their refinement.
    • Upgrading Dungeon or Trial jewelry should require an extra component, which will randomly drop at the last boss of the Dungeon or Trial. A purple upgrade-item on Normal, a gold upgrade-item on Veteran and a guaranteed gold upgrade-item on Hardmode.
    • There is a difference between the Dungeon and Trial drop- You can't farm veteran hardmode Dungeons for your War-Machine rings.
    This would eliminate the horrendous grind for crafted and overland sets and at the same time it would keep the value and rarity of Dungeon/Trial jewelry.

From a Stam-DD standpoint of view, there is literally no point on farming weeks for purple Hunding's Rage jewelry when I can get golden Vicious Ophidian jewelry from vAA in a day or two.

VO and Hunding's are very different sets. Do you see them as equivalent? If so, your argument makes sense. If your intention is to pair the sets and if you perceive VO jewels as an easier route then farming a vet trial is probably a better use of time (since you get other loot as well).

But really, if you are talking about crafted sets vs. dropped sets the argument against the jewelry grind is somewhat academic. Different story if you want to pair two crafted sets together. Then, complaints against the steep requirements for jewelry crafting have some merit.

For me, I was hoping to revive my TBS set by crafting several sets of jewels (with various traits) and then pairing it with several other sets I have been hoarding. The vision is still there, just...more distant now.
    Options
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I see them as equivalent since VO performs slightly better than Hunding's. My argument is, why would you pair crafted and/or overland sets with such a grind when you can get equivalent or better sets much more faster? The only "reason" they've presented so far is "to keep purple/gold jewelry rare and valuable" aka "we don't want you to farm blue War-Machine and upgrade them to gold without entering vHoF" - which is again a valid reason but can't be really applied on crafted/overland or even dungeon sets.
    Options
  • Gallagher563
    Gallagher563
    ✭✭✭
    This idea of artificial scarcity for gold jewelry doesn't make much sense the way they implemented the system. The way it exists now it is so scarce no one will bother to upgrade jewelry to gold if it can be bought cheaper from the PVP vendor or from guild traders. If they really wanted to make people feel that they earned it they should have made the only way to get gold upgrade materials be to deconstructing existing gold jewelry.
    Options
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I see them as equivalent since VO performs slightly better than Hunding's. My argument is, why would you pair crafted and/or overland sets with such a grind when you can get equivalent or better sets much more faster? The only "reason" they've presented so far is "to keep purple/gold jewelry rare and valuable" aka "we don't want you to farm blue War-Machine and upgrade them to gold without entering vHoF" - which is again a valid reason but can't be really applied on crafted/overland or even dungeon sets.

This may be a technical limitation in the game. Distinguishing between dropped jewelry and crafted jewelry from an upgrade perspective might involve too many code changes. That's likely.

But I will reassert my original argument: it's pretty clear the high cost is to discourage rampant sales of jewels in guild stores and encourage paid uptake of the new chapter. Love it or hate it, ZOS has bills to pay. I can only imagine what their server and network infrastructures costs must be....
    Options
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    JimmyJuJu wrote: »

This may be a technical limitation in the game. Distinguishing between dropped jewelry and crafted jewelry from an upgrade perspective might involve too many code changes. That's likely.

But I will reassert my original argument: it's pretty clear the high cost is to discourage rampant sales of jewels in guild stores and encourage paid uptake of the new chapter. Love it or hate it, ZOS has bills to pay. I can only imagine what their server and network infrastructures costs must be....

Well they haven't "encouraged" me, quite the opposite in fact...
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The grind for jewelrycrafting discourages purchase of the new chapter because it makes it seem like a feature not worth pursuing. It seems the motivation for making it such a grind was not to pay their bills. That makes it seem more likely that they wanted to preserve the value of other tasks that give jewelry.
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    That makes it seem more likely that they wanted to preserve the value of other tasks that give jewelry.

Yes but like I many others have said, they had many other options to do that without crippling casual set jewelry crafting.

The best way would be to not just have blue, purple and gold versions of the same thing to differentiate difficulty but rather have unique items - all items including weapons and armor, not just jewelry - that drop only in the higher difficulty activities. Obviously that would be more development intensive but it would totally do away with upgrading lower qualities to do an end-run around the harder content.

Much easier than that would be to differentiate upgrading jewelry drops from crafting jewelry making the one grindy but not the other. A simple extra component required to upgrade drops would do that trick.

What they've done instead is kill any excitement we might have had about finally being able to craft jewelry for sets by making that 10X grindier at all quality levels other than white.
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    That makes it seem more likely that they wanted to preserve the value of other tasks that give jewelry.

Yes but like I many others have said, they had many other options to do that without crippling casual set jewelry crafting.

The best way would be to not just have blue, purple and gold versions of the same thing to differentiate difficulty but rather have unique items - all items including weapons and armor, not just jewelry - that drop only in the higher difficulty activities. Obviously that would be more development intensive but it would totally do away with upgrading lower qualities to do an end-run around the harder content.

Much easier than that would be to differentiate upgrading jewelry drops from crafting jewelry making the one grindy but not the other. A simple extra component required to upgrade drops would do that trick.

What they've done instead is kill any excitement we might have had about finally being able to craft jewelry for sets by making that 10X grindier at all quality levels other than white.

Sure, but you pulled that sentence out of a comment that was disagreeing that it is a money grab. Maybe they made some questionable design decisions. Maybe this will all get easier over time. But the way it is right now is the opposite of a money grab. It is more of a turnoff. It is the kind of thing that makes people ask for refunds. You seem to agree with that point, which was the only main point of my comment.
    Options
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elephant42 wrote: »

You may change your mind when you see how much gold Julianos rings (for example) sell for in guild stores. I can only guess how much, but it surely will be jaw-dropping. But if that doesn't "encourage" you, then farm your mats per normal and sit on them until a future update/dlc/chapter is released that brings the cost of j-crafting in line with the other crafting skills.
    Options
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭

You may change your mind when you see how much gold Julianos rings (for example) sell for in guild stores. I can only guess how much, but it surely will be jaw-dropping. But if that doesn't "encourage" you, then farm your mats per normal and sit on them until a future update/dlc/chapter is released that brings the cost of j-crafting in line with the other crafting skills.

Nope - I won't be buying the "Chapter" until someone like GmG sells it at a significant discount, or ZOS change their stance on this farce of grind in a future patch and I ain't holding my breath for either of these...
    Options
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope - I won't be buying the "Chapter" until someone like GmG sells it at a significant discount, or ZOS change their stance on this farce of grind in a future patch and I ain't holding my breath for either of these...

Well, that is your choice, of course. But there is more to Summerset than just jewelry crafting. I'm sure it will be discounted in a few months anyway so you can just wait for that :smile:

I only pre-ordered anyway to get the mount. I like to collect mounts. Still waiting for the Frost Mare to return. One day...
    Options
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have read 5 pages ( out of 10 so far ). I have seen many posts that say if they had known that the grind for Jewelry Crafting was so great that they would not have pre-ordered Summerset.
    Did they just order the new chapter for Jewelry Crafting and not for the new quests and skill line. I for one will be doing Jewelry Crafting as a side line as I adventure in summerset and other areas.

And as others have said when the other crafting started ( Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking ) needed 150 mats for CP160 gear a lot of people were upset by it. Now years later it's no big deal. Next year Jewelry Crafting will not be a big deal.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
    Options
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kodrac wrote: »
    ezio45 wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »
    Do we know how far people have progressed in Jewelry Crafting on the PTS? That will surely give some sort of an answer to how severe the leveling process is, given that Summerset has only been on the PTS for what, three weeks?

333 purple to get to 50 according to some youtuber

So, worse than Enchanting then. Awesome.

^ ROFL ^ Thanks for this. Laughed so hard made my eyes water.
    Edited by Easily_Lost on 13 May 2018 14:03
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
    Options
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I honestly just want them to increase bank/inventory cap size by 20 to even it all out for non subs.
    Options
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    -snip-And as others have said when the other crafting started ( Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking ) needed 150 mats for CP160 gear a lot of people were upset by it. Now years later it's no big deal. Next year Jewelry Crafting will not be a big deal.

And some of us un-subbed when IC dropped and didn't resub until they fixed it with Orsinium - that's why it's no big deal now, they fixed it months later but it _was_ a big deal when released...

I for one am just sick and tired with how much of the cool new stuff is always gated on release behind grind/tryhard/crown store and simply no longer wish to give ZOS my money until they change this approach - sadly I don't think that they will as for some reason that completely escapes me, it seems to work - I just do not understand why so many people put up with it...

Options
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    4.0.4 update
    still not fixed the grind issue.
    Options
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭
    -snip-And as others have said when the other crafting started ( Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking ) needed 150 mats for CP160 gear a lot of people were upset by it. Now years later it's no big deal. Next year Jewelry Crafting will not be a big deal.

And some of us un-subbed when IC dropped and didn't resub until they fixed it with Orsinium - that's why it's no big deal now, they fixed it months later but it _was_ a big deal when released...

I for one am just sick and tired with how much of the cool new stuff is always gated on release behind grind/tryhard/crown store and simply no longer wish to give ZOS my money until they change this approach - sadly I don't think that they will as for some reason that completely escapes me, it seems to work - I just do not understand why so many people put up with it...

I put up with it because I enjoy the game. I suspect many others do as well. As I suspect you do, too. That's really a testament to the outstanding job ZOS has done getting people involved and passionate about the game.

And if you don't enjoy the game or aren't that passionate about it - then why so mad, bro? :)
    Options
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    4.0.4 update
    still not fixed the grind issue.

Didn't expect it since they've also not engaged with any of us to explain why they decided on the 10X temper and trait stone grind. It's developer bunker mentality at its finest.
    Options
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I've never been one to avoid eating humble pie when I deserve to but it looks like I may have been slightly over zealous in my opposition to the jewellery upgrade mat situation.

I decided to do some final testing on the PTS with the penultimate patch before making a final decision about Summerset and herewith I share my results. I tested with a newly created L3 character and enabled each of the decon passives as soon as I possibly could. I also got the CP passive that increases inspiration by 20% before starting

To get from start to 50 took me 6 CP100 white + 6 CP150 white + 6 Green + 6 Blue + 321 purple + 6 gold, all the non-whites were CP160

These were the inspiration values for each colour at varying Jewellery levels:

White CP100 provided a constant 741 and CP150 gave a constant 999 from L10 all the way to L45 - didn't test after that.

L10 G=4024, B=4024, P=4024, Gd=4024
    L22 G=9349, B=9349, P=9349, Gd=9349
    L32 G=11874, B=13500, P=14710, Gd=14768
    L40 G=11874, B=13500, P=14710, Gd=16744
    L45 G=11874, B=13500, P=14710, Gd=16744

So my TLDR summary is that it will take somewhere between approx 310 and approx 400 items of CP160 and any colour better than white to max JC. The exact number will depend on the numbers of each colour used. The leveling process will be reasonably quick and painless IMHO. Of note is that there is no advantage to higher than green until you get to somewhere above level 22 so might as well hang on to blues and above until at least L22. Also of note is that the maximum difference between green and purple is only 24%.

I ended up with 182 purple grains which is roughly a 60% yield from decon. I did not decon enough of the other colours to get a reliable figure but I can't see green and blue being any worse. I suspect that nodes won't be where people get their upgrade mats from - I suspect it will be dolmens :/

It's possible that we may have overreacted to the grains situation - this might just be the reason that ZOS have done it this way given the guaranteed jewellery drop from dolmens.

Now as long as ZOS doesn't change anything between now and release we might not be too badly off - still gonna be a PITA to craft green and above set jewellery for lowbies but blue for max chars shouldn't be too onerous a grind. Purple is still gonna be a monumental grindfest but not as bad as having to only rely on nodes as there are a few places to get reliable purple jewellery in more "interesting" ways than grinding nodes. Upgrading to gold is still a far far distant dream for most of us...

Options
  • JimmyJuJu
    JimmyJuJu
    ✭✭✭✭

Well I've never been one to avoid eating humble pie when I deserve to but it looks like I may have been slightly over zealous in my opposition to the jewellery upgrade mat situation.
    <snip>
    ...Upgrading to gold is still a far far distant dream for most of us...

Thank you for the update. Humble pie is still pie :)

Regarding gold jewelry, it's never been easy to get (compared to purple and lower) and the materials requirement for crafting gold jewels follows that theme. That's expected and is ok.

As for CP allocation, every crafter worth his/her salt has Inspiration and Treasure Hunter unlocked, so that's not really a problem either.
    Options
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the lvl from 0 to 50 was never really a percived issuse was it? It actually crafting gold jewlery.

The mats required to get gold jewlery is in my mind the issuse.
    Options