Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stamina NB Dualing build

AltusVenifus
AltusVenifus
✭✭✭
I have found it next to impossible to win a straight up fight with a stamina NB, medium armor, bow + dual wield against anyone other than a stamina NB. My current strategy is to run away... Is it possible to make a build that can stand and fight using this kind of setup?

Here is how I see it:
Pros:
- Highest burst DPS in the game
- Has escape tools (needs some serious luck)
- Highest sustain for stamina and magical regen (although loses DPS for this effect)
- Best CC in the game (fear)

CONS:
- DPS is terrible if required to do any defense. Offensive output is destroyed by Dodge roll, block, cc break...
- Cannot turtle and produce DPS
- No shields
- No heals (I don't have vigor, all magical heals are really silly for a stamina NB, example: refreshing path heals me for 328 per second which is 1 percent of my health for 11 secs).
- Currently DPS does not out produce turtling (I.E full out attacking a turtling character does not kill the character quickly enough, i.e. they hold the right mouse button and hit whatever magical skill and I will always die before they do...

I used to laugh at characters played like mine, because they are so easy to kill, but I'm wondering if anyone has found one that is viable in close quarters combat or dueling? I'm starting to think without viable heals / damage shields / stamina being absorbed for your defense it is a losing battle to try and win a dual.

I'm currently wearing all yellow gear with yellow enchants and speced fully in weapon power. My dueling background is pretty good (win about 60%) on the standard turtling magical builds, but it is official 0% with the build I currently am playing.

Just looking for feedback. Thanks
  • JTorus
    JTorus
    ✭✭✭✭
    My NB build has been stamina from the start, been a rough road. Everything you've said is pretty spot on for the build, it's a difficult one to play. I might come out on top about 1/3 of any duels... and that's being optimistic. My heals are primarily Mark Target, Killer's blade, and pots. Two of those three are obviously doing me little good until my opponent is dead. You infer that this isn't an easy build, and you're right. You may want to re-think its play style.

Your build is the '***'s build'. You're not set up for a fair fight, you're not meant to be seen, your opponent should never know you're coming. 1v1 is possible, you usually just need to get the upper hand by remaining on the offensive. A majority of your time is spent in stealth while your pals engage and distract the other faction. You hang around on the outskirts, behind or ahead of the battle lines. You ambush in and help ensure that other 1v1 fight ends properly (with your faction member staying alive). You put blades and arrows in the other guy's back, not his chest. You get in, you hurt, and you get out. You're the reason people travel between keeps and outposts in groups.

And you're right, we're pretty easy to kill. The point isn't that you can sustain the damage, you have to make yourself hard to catch first. The build is less for dueling, and more about some lethal game of hide and seek.

(edit, grammar, spelling)
    Edited by JTorus on 18 March 2015 20:15
  • Nonamesbutmineub17_ESO
    Well from what I can tell after 1.6 dual wield was nerfed or two handed was buffed, now it's all about the two hand because rally creates a decent self heal mixed with blur. It works pretty well for me compared to dual weild in 1.6. Also makes your character a lot less squishy than with dual wield in medium armor. In PVE I am able now solo v10 group areas and dolmens with medium armor and two hand only.
  • AltusVenifus
    AltusVenifus
    ✭✭✭
    JTorus wrote: »
    My NB build has been stamina from the start, been a rough road. Everything you've said is pretty spot on for the build, it's a difficult one to play. I might come out on top about 1/3 of any duels... and that's being optimistic. My heals are primarily Mark Target, Killer's blade, and pots. Two of those three are obviously doing me little good until my opponent is dead. You infer that this isn't an easy build, and you're right. You may want to re-think its play style.

Your build is the '***'s build'. You're not set up for a fair fight, you're not meant to be seen, your opponent should never know you're coming. 1v1 is possible, you usually just need to get the upper hand by remaining on the offensive. A majority of your time is spent in stealth while your pals engage and distract the other faction. You hang around on the outskirts, behind or ahead of the battle lines. You ambush in and help ensure that other 1v1 fight ends properly (with your faction member staying alive). You put blades and arrows in the other guy's back, not his chest. You get in, you hurt, and you get out. You're the reason people travel between keeps and outposts in groups.

And you're right, we're pretty easy to kill. The point isn't that you can sustain the damage, you have to make yourself hard to catch first. The build is less for dueling, and more about some lethal game of hide and seek.

(edit, grammar, spelling)

Thanks for the reply. Seems like a pretty significant liability for a style that has at best suspect escape methods. Maybe I need more practice, but I am able to disengage and escape about 1 out of 5 tries. Right now my strategy is to use fear, rapid maneuvers, then stealth 4 times, but I think it has more to do with when u start the escape because damn near everything breaks the invis.
  • JTorus
    JTorus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Seems like a pretty significant liability for a style that has at best suspect escape methods. Maybe I need more practice, but I am able to disengage and escape about 1 out of 5 tries. Right now my strategy is to use fear, rapid maneuvers, then stealth 4 times, but I think it has more to do with when u start the escape because damn near everything breaks the invis.

Yeah escaping is rough, sometimes you need to plan your escape before you even drop in. Shadow image, stealth, dodge-rolling and blind stupid luck all help. Don't get discouraged though, this is all for fun afterall.
  • NukeAllTheThings
    NukeAllTheThings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree w/ @JTorus. I run a stam NB and I just have to accept that I am going kill fast, die fast or run away fast and I have learned to enjoy it. I used reduced cost jewelry, Night's Silence 5 pc and dump CP into roll dodge cost reduction and level up Legerdemain to reduce sneak cost. If I can't take out my target fast or I have multiple targets on me I roll like a mad man. You would be amazed at how far you can roll and how fast you can move coming out of that roll w/ you bow equipped and popping cloak. When running away I never use cloak w/out bow rolling first.
    "it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days." - Matt Firor
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could drop the DW and go for sword and board, or a 2hander. You'll live longer if you ditch the DW.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Fatalyis
    Fatalyis
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the short time that I played Stamina on my NB after 1.6, I found DW to be somewhat lackluster when compared to 2H....so I ran DW/2H and just used Rally to boost my weapon damage on my DW bar. It seemed to do the trick for me.

1H+S is also pretty fun....more defensive in nature than offensive....but still fun to reflect projectiles (or absorb) and soak up some damage.
  • jelliedsoup
    jelliedsoup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All ive played is a stam nb build with dw/bow. 2h is too slow for me.

Healing skills are a waste of time imo on my build.

I use mirage, evade, shadow cloak roll dodge to get away. I find it much easier now than in the past to get away. Use the passive speed increase on bow after rolling. I am fully specced for stam tho. 27k on stam and 1250 recovery along with night silence for sneak speed.

i can usually safely snipe and dissappear if needed.

Edited by jelliedsoup on 18 March 2015 23:33
    www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ks8_KGHqmO4
  • Pirhana7_ESO
    Pirhana7_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blur + shades works very well. 20% evade + taking 15% less damage. if you go 2hand you can also put Momentium in there and heal for around 1000 every 2 seconds. if you use brawler you have a 1500 damage shield every couple attacks

All these things and blocking at teh right times lets you outlast alot of opponents 1v1
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have found it next to impossible to win a straight up fight with a stamina NB, medium armor, bow + dual wield against anyone other than a stamina NB. My current strategy is to run away... Is it possible to make a build that can stand and fight using this kind of setup?

Here is how I see it:
    Pros:
    - Highest sustain for stamina and magical regen (although loses DPS for this effect)

CONS:
    - DPS is terrible if required to do any defense. Offensive output is destroyed by Dodge roll, block, cc break...
    - No shields
    - No heals (I don't have vigor, all magical heals are really silly for a stamina NB, example: refreshing path heals me for 328 per second which is 1 percent of my health for 11 secs).
    - Currently DPS does not out produce turtling (I.E full out attacking a turtling character does not kill the character quickly enough, i.e. they hold the right mouse button and hit whatever magical skill and I will always die before they do...

I used to laugh at characters played like mine, because they are so easy to kill, but I'm wondering if anyone has found one that is viable in close quarters combat or dueling? I'm starting to think without viable heals / damage shields / stamina being absorbed for your defense it is a losing battle to try and win a dual.

I'm currently wearing all yellow gear with yellow enchants and speced fully in weapon power. My dueling background is pretty good (win about 60%) on the standard turtling magical builds, but it is official 0% with the build I currently am playing.

There are a few out there who have mastered this style. I've dueled Velcon's stamina NB quite a few times on both PTS and live server with various DK builds and so far I haven't come close to beating him.

Also watched him tank 8 or 9 enemy players for extended periods.
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on 19 March 2015 19:12
  • Grim13
    Grim13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is how I see it:
    Pros:

CONS:
    - No shields

There are a few out there who have mastered this style. I've dueled Velcon's stamina NB quite a few times on both PTS and live server with various DK builds and so far I haven't come close to beating him.

Velconn knows his dueling stam details... he'd be a good person to ask, OP.
  • cwp303b14_ESO
    cwp303b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    What weapons does Velconn use?
  • AltusVenifus
    AltusVenifus
    ✭✭✭

Here is how I see it:
    Pros:

CONS:
    - No shields

Wondering how he does it... I can run a heavy or light blocking build that is pretty good, just not a stamina one.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am a stamina build from beta up to now. Yes, I also once joined the masses and went magicka but dropped it pretty quick. I did went magicka once but with same setup as a stamina build but using class skills only (since they are magicka it was better).

But now with the stamina morphs I am back fully stamina. Just like most stamina based NB's, you die quick.. very quick. If you encounter another NB the winner is mostly the one who spotted the other first.

1 vs. 1 to another class where you did not get upper hand by a sneak attack is mostly death, or run away and hide.

But that's what I like. Although it is harder now thanks to the uber detection potions. Now I have to rely on the environment. I even escaped some angry DK just by hiding behind a tree or using the teleport shade.

Sadly stealth attacks do less damage now it seems. So if your opponent has awesomeheals your toast. I only have tri-pots (which I haven't made for a few weeks so im out) and I recently use Vigor. My Bow-bar is also my buff bar. I have harness magicka, grim focus, vigor and camohunter on it together with snipe. Sometimes I change camohunter with draining shot for fun, or shades.

On my DW bar I also ave the medium armor skill for 20% dodge chance (instead of Blur, but cannot give a good reason) or fear or the reapers mark.

I just like to troll people with shades, draining shot and cloak. If I die it is because I suck with my build in 1 on 1 and if I get careless.

pre 1.6 I could kill people in less then 2 seconds from stealth (camohunter+lethalarrow+ambush+concealed+imale or ultimate). Now I can't. So trololoing it is or I attack wounded enemies.

Due to lag which fails half my attacks I went to a less laggy server. Sadly every other stamina NB runs with detection pots and 2 handed. and those wrecking blows hurt my poor Breton.

I don't know how Velcon does it, tanking 8-9 people. I can so it also, but for 1 second I guess :open_mouth:
    Edited by Knootewoot on 20 March 2015 07:53
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Caltrops + Siphoning Attacks
    Hold block and cast your heals / shields / whatever
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • AltusVenifus
    AltusVenifus
    ✭✭✭
    Soulac wrote: »
    Caltrops + Siphoning Attacks
    Hold block and cast your heals / shields / whatever

Yes sap tanks are pretty good at staying alive... not at winning. I think of them as crowd surfers.
  • Bane_of_Fringe
    Bane_of_Fringe
    ✭✭✭
    Sort of skipping the posts.

I believe a NA player named Kikazaru plays a stamina NB, has some really serious dps. Currently the burst beats magicka NBs, or rather the dps as whole. As for dueling, you'd just have to try it with something like vigor I guess...it's a tough one. Might keep my eye on this thread to see if you turn up anything.
    Characters:
    Bane of Fringe Vr-14
    Casts as Hatchling Vr-5
    Shinobu-chan Vr-1
    Holo the Wise and Cunning Vr-5
    Soft Rose Vr-1
    Svaedstrom Lowbie
    Man in the Fringe Vr-2
    Batul Gra-Sharob Vr-1

Previous vets:
    Jade Blossom Vr-1
    Man in the Fringe Vr-5
    RAGE
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Burst Dps as NB is crazy, especially as Khajiit with over 70% crit.
    I don't use my sneak bonus, but I still kill most enemys in one rotation.
    Very funny ;)

- Meow -
  • sSolutionSs
    sSolutionSs
    ✭✭✭
    I came back after they made this *** game Free minus the box fee, and its the same *** over and over. More unbalanced pvp and still no brackets if youre vr1 have fun grinding pve more to get close to max level.

The combat in pvp is clunky and confusing mostly all the time in every pvp interaction.

really what is there to do at lvl vr1? Grind more pve ? whoo hoo0
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had vigor, that build would be ok, but without, im afraid you'd need rally.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • AltusVenifus
    AltusVenifus
    ✭✭✭
    Very funny ;)

I agree that burst is good, but complete useless for a duel. I actually think burst needs to be higher with all the shield stacking nonsense that is going on, but that is not really relevant to a dueling stamina NB build.

• Nivzruo_ESO
    Nivzruo_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    2H is deff the meta right now for stam ganking. There is a sick NB duel spec out there but it is a magika destro staff, light armor one. Pretty much the opposite of ur current playstyle.
    Nelgyntc- V14 NB
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very funny ;)

I agree that burst is good, but complete useless for a duel. I actually think burst needs to be higher with all the shield stacking nonsense that is going on, but that is not really relevant to a dueling stamina NB build.

Well if you can achieve high burst at any time you want it is useful.
    I think we both understand something different about burst.. but yes I agree that only burst is mostly useless.
    As Stamina NB (Magicka too, but Harness is pain) you can achieve huge burst at any given time in a duel and if used right you kill an enemy in one rotation, that's what I meant.
    Since Harness is useless there is barely Shieldstacking anyway or at least not many ppl are spamming Ward and Class Shields all the time (at the same time better said).

My build is especially made for duels and works perfectly, not that you think I meant the burst in easy ganking ;)

- Meow -
  • AltusVenifus
    AltusVenifus
    ✭✭✭
    2H is deff the meta right now for stam ganking. There is a sick NB duel spec out there but it is a magika destro staff, light armor one. Pretty much the opposite of ur current playstyle.

I've run quite a few of the block casting NB builds... I guess if it has been guessed yet, my point is that a stamina NB build needs some work. It has exceptional burst, but can't win a fight. Which seems wrong to me.
  • Xandryah
    Xandryah
    ✭✭✭

.[/quote]

If this is true, then this game is not finished at all. It's just unacceptable to read that a game allows one player to outlast more than 3 players alone... for extended periods.. even if newbies etc... to read stuff like this really makes me think that there is need of other people and lots of work to do... to pay real money and spend real time in a 1 v 9 -pvp-situation and lose or just see how the game allows this is frustrating...
  • Xandryah
    Xandryah
    ✭✭✭
    Xandryah wrote: »

If this is true, then this game is not finished at all. It's just unacceptable to read that a game allows one player to outlast more than 3 players alone... for extended periods.. even if newbies etc... to read stuff like this really makes me think that there is need of other people and lots of work to do... to pay real money and spend real time in a 1 v 9 -pvp-situation and lose or just see how the game allows this is frustrating...[/quote]

Also the math and logic does not work well, there are no numbers to rely on and i can't track my tries and builds, performance at all...math has been an issue here from XP to skill-balance etc.. Good Luck..
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So you're saying that a good player shouldn't be able to tank or kill more than two Players?
    If a couple of enemys are not able to take down a single player, they deserve to get killed, seriously.

A 1vX will work as long as you don't face enemys as good as yourself or against players who kinda know what they're doing in PvP.
    It doesn't matter what you change or not, it will always be like that.

- Meow -
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO this is why I don't like duelling.. it's too artificial.. you know who/what you are facing and some builds just destroy other builds. In the "real" world, ie just out there in cyrodiil, you don't know what/who you will be facing next.. no way to carefully plan your skill setup or the environment.

That said.. a buff shear skill would be nice.. to get rid of bubble wrapped targets ;P
  • Cthalion
    Cthalion
    ✭✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »
    IMHO this is why I don't like duelling.. it's too artificial.. you know who/what you are facing and some builds just destroy other builds. In the "real" world, ie just out there in cyrodiil, you don't know what/who you will be facing next.. no way to carefully plan your skill setup or the environment.

That said.. a buff shear skill would be nice.. to get rid of bubble wrapped targets ;P

This!

This is why I don't really care for duels. A guy can switch up specifically to fight a certain build. It's far more satisfying to be able to handle most fights without having to go switch your bars.
    Kosmoko.
    Stamina NB since 4-4-14.