The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.4 is available.

Legal Troubles!

CaptnCreamsicle
CaptnCreamsicle
✭✭✭
So it turns out that I'm a homicidal maniac. I am learning to live with that. The problem is that it's a very expensive hobby. I don't always have enough gold on my character to settle my bounty with the guards. Unfortunately I have no way to get the gold I need from the bank.

I can sneak guards the guards outside most banks but for a reason unknown to me, it seems that guards also hang out inside the bank. Even if I let my heat die down they confront me as soon as I enter the bank. It would seem like a good idea to have a way to access your bank funds without being accosted by guards. Maybe the guards inside of the banks could be relocated?

Also, why does healing cause a bounty? I jumped down from the bridge in Davon's Watch and took some damage on my Templar. I popped Rushed Ceremony for a quick heal and that some how ticked off one of the NPCs. Next thing you know I'm running for my life with a 280g bounty for using a heal in town.
GM NerdSauce
  • Naltarsus - Redguard Sorcerer - Master Crafter, farmer extraordinaire
  • Captn Creamsicle - High Elf Templar - maybe healer some day
  • Catman’Creamsicle - Khajiit Nightblade - Amoral murderer/thief Stamina DPS
  • Har’vathor - Redguard Dragonknight - wanna be Stamina DPS
  • Megan Casey - Highelf Sorcerer - Magicka DPS
  • Fatty Mc’atty - Khajiit Warden (currently Sorcerer for placeholder), Stamina DPS Support
  • omfgitsbatman
    omfgitsbatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    So it turns out that I'm a homicidal maniac. I am learning to live with that. The problem is that it's a very expensive hobby. I don't always have enough gold on my character to settle my bounty with the guards. Unfortunately I have no way to get the gold I need from the bank.

I can sneak guards the guards outside most banks but for a reason unknown to me, it seems that guards also hang out inside the bank. Even if I let my heat die down they confront me as soon as I enter the bank. It would seem like a good idea to have a way to access your bank funds without being accosted by guards. Maybe the guards inside of the banks could be relocated?

Also, why does healing cause a bounty? I jumped down from the bridge in Davon's Watch and took some damage on my Templar. I popped Rushed Ceremony for a quick heal and that some how ticked off one of the NPCs. Next thing you know I'm running for my life with a 280g bounty for using a heal in town.

I am laughing a lot at this entire post... probably too hard... but thank you.

Edited by omfgitsbatman on 28 January 2015 06:39
    He's the healer Tamriel deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hurt his tank. Because he can heal them to full. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful rejuvinator. A Cloaked Healer.

@Omfgitsbatman PC/NA
    Ticktick-Argonian Nightblade Healer/Magicka DPS
    Tinytick- Imperial DK Tank
    Wuches Y'Shaur- V16 High Elf Sorc Magicka DPS
    Ticktator- Dunmer DK Magicka DPS
    Tick Head- Dark Elf Magicka NB DPS

GM:
    Mercs Of Sovngarde (EP/NA): AA (HM), HRC (HM), VSO (HM), VDSA, VMSA complete
    Vet Maw 4/5

Options
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, that's not nice :)

Makes me wonder, if keep guards in Cyrodiil attack their own fraction players too.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Townspeople follow roughly the same drop rules as wilderness mobs. If you're more than five levels over them, they won't drop anything. If you're at level, they'll usually drop a couple stolen items that are worth slightly more than your bounty to the fence.
    Options
  • CaptnCreamsicle
    CaptnCreamsicle
    ✭✭✭
    Townspeople follow roughly the same drop rules as wilderness mobs. If you're more than five levels over them, they won't drop anything. If you're at level, they'll usually drop a couple stolen items that are worth slightly more than your bounty to the fence.

As in real life crime begets more crime. Although, I had a bounty of well over 8k on my main after running through Riften.
    GM NerdSauce
    • Fatty Mc’atty - Khajiit Warden (currently Sorcerer for placeholder), Stamina DPS Support
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am also a homicidal maniac that had no funds to pay the fines. I was able to escape the gendarmes a couple of times and stay away from them but I was also stuck trying to get to my bank. I hung around outside the Mournhold bank until some other criminal attracted the attention of Barny Fife and they ran off after them. I was able to slip into the bank unnoticed.

Sadly, while the heat is on you, the banker won't do business with you. Mournhold bank security is terrible and they let me stand around in there until the heat had subsided. I was able to get money and pay off my fine.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • CaptnCreamsicle
    CaptnCreamsicle
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, while the heat is on you, the banker won't do business with you. Mournhold bank security is terrible and they let me stand around in there until the heat had subsided. I was able to get money and pay off my fine.

I did notice that not all banks are as careful in regards to security.

In Davon's Watch there is one guard standing watch outside that you can sneak by if you go around back and come in on the other side. There is no one inside at this bank either. When my heat finally died down I took out 1k to cover my 400g bounty. Unfortunately for me, I underestimated the value of the life of the non-banker NPC that walks around in the bank. I mean, I killed two people at the dock and only ended up with 400g bounty! How was I to know I would get 700g added on for this lady?

I waited some more for my heat to die down. Those bankers really hold a grudge! I did finally get my bounty paid off. Of course then the healing incident on my way out of town so I just logged out and went to bed.

I'm glad I'm not the only criminal scum enjoying the mayhem!
    GM NerdSauce
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I waited some more for my heat to die down. Those bankers really hold a grudge! I did finally get my bounty paid off. Of course then the healing incident on my way out of town so I just logged out and went to bed.

Yeah, bounties do decay while logged off... which is a nice, "worst case" fallback.
    Options
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to be as big issue for new starting characters with little money . The guards also frequent city wayshrines so you may not be able to continue the quest lines if you accidentally shoot a innocent civilian while attacking a quest npc in the city . A big problem for inner city quest that involve combat . People low level will get camped by guards at wayshrines after death because no other wayshrines are unlocked yet .
    Options
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That is not entirely true. My VR14 ran around murdering people in my VR6 zone and I looted numerous stolen items from their corpses. The rules may be different for the non-vet zones.
    Options
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except that dying to guards wipes your bounty and you're back to innocence and safe travel around cities.

The only annoying part of all this is if you're determined not to die.
    The Legendary Nothing
    Options
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Except that dying to guards wipes your bounty and you're back to innocence and safe travel around cities.

No it does not if you didn't have enough gold on your corpse
    Options
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I made a starter character and was wayshrine camped by guards because I didn't have enough gold to pay or loot from me . Upon re spawn my bounty was the same 9 times .
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »

That is not entirely true. My VR14 ran around murdering people in my VR6 zone and I looted numerous stolen items from their corpses. The rules may be different for the non-vet zones.

For the purposes of loot drops, Vets are all level 50. It's been like that since launch. You can kill anyone level 45 and up, and still get drops... just like normal.
    Options
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    roechacca wrote: »

After reading other posts I stand corrected.

hopefully it'll be fixed so that killing players wipes the bounty without needing gold.
    The Legendary Nothing
    Options
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

After reading other posts I stand corrected.

hopefully it'll be fixed so that killing players wipes the bounty without needing gold.

Or make an option to go to Jail ! LOL
    Options
  • jnjdun_ESO
    jnjdun_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I missed something and I apologize if this has already been answered, but do the NPCs that get killed respawn eventually like mobs or are they dead forever once you go on your murder, death, kill spree?

I wish I could test it for myself, but Alas! I am unable to do so at this time.
    Giggle Purrz'Pantz Khajiit Templar
    Fuzzy Jenna'Tullz Khajiit DK
    Eileen U'Lickette Bosmer Sorc
    Ginny Fleasly Khajiit NB
    Jenny Tull'Whortz Bosmer baby NB
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jnjdun_ESO wrote: »
    Maybe I missed something and I apologize if this has already been answered, but do the NPCs that get killed respawn eventually like mobs or are they dead forever once you go on your murder, death, kill spree?

I wish I could test it for myself, but Alas! I am unable to do so at this time.

They respawn.
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But what would be the risk for being a criminal? If you don't get caught, you gain gold and gear from stolen items. If you do get caught, just let guard kill you and pay 0 gold. There need to be repercussions to getting caught and there would be none if there was a loophole to get away with not paying the bounty.
    Options
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    Rawlkha (Reaper's March) uses private mercenaries which will not attack you. You can port into the wayshrine and get into the bank easily without hitting an actual guard.
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be as big issue for new starting characters with little money . The guards also frequent city wayshrines so you may not be able to continue the quest lines if you accidentally shoot a innocent civilian while attacking a quest npc in the city . A big problem for inner city quest that involve combat . People low level will get camped by guards at wayshrines after death because no other wayshrines are unlocked yet .

I don't see a big issue.

I have not surveyed all of the places, but Mournhold is easy to navigate as a wanted criminal. At level 17, it was also possible to outrun and evade about half the time. The wayshrine there was safe, as long as you took care when you left the area.

Waiting for some other criminal to pull the guards away works for right now, but I expect that will not be a common circumstance on Live. That, if anything, is the biggest issue.

I had a lot of fun being the wanted criminal. It adds a dimension to just walking around, a secondary awareness of the environment. I can envision keeping at least one of my characters on the shady side of the law.

Unfortunately, there is no history that I can find. No maximum bounty, no number of people killed, no theft count, no total gold from fences, etc. I need to play with this some more, though.

It is also frustrating that I only have two options when penniless, pay up or run. I can see why they don't have a jail, and not sure what else I might expect, but it just seemed limiting. Maybe an intimidate or persuade option that sometimes works to talk your way out instead of fleeing. I am not sure if there is a bribery option, I dealt mostly with those pesky Ordinators.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Fruitdog
    Fruitdog
    ✭✭✭✭
    You might have healed someone with a bounty, I healed another player fighting a guard and immediately got a bounty for it.

Options
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accidentally incurring a bounty, by whatever means, should be the single biggest number-one thing the devs strive to avoid.

For this system to work, and not start to just royally annoy people, there can not be any way to unintentionally incur a bounty.
    Options
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

But what would be the risk for being a criminal? If you don't get caught, you gain gold and gear from stolen items. If you do get caught, just let guard kill you and pay 0 gold. There need to be repercussions to getting caught and there would be none if there was a loophole to get away with not paying the bounty.

Then they should make sure to include the removal of any stolen goods since guards would loot your corpse for the stolen items.

If you murdered someone then also gear deterioration should play a factor so there's a financial consequence for murder.
    The Legendary Nothing
    Options
  • Zhoyzu
    Zhoyzu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a game play option in setting to turn off the ability to hit NPCs so you can attack them all you want but you wont follow through with the attack. its below the hide/show helmet option.
    Zhoyzu - Nightblade Alchemist (v15) RETIRED
    Has-No-Heart - Templar Enchanter (v4) FUBAR
    Ambadassador - Dragon knight (v1) Naked with no future (returned from the naked realm to tank PvE)
    Sakis Tolis - Sorceror (v10 in progress) Living Legend!

Xuhl'Xotuun - Warden Current Main as im starting the game over essentially with this character aside from crafting.

Creator of Khajiit fall dmg reduction racial passive concept.

Options
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The simplest solution would be to have a banker down in the outlaw refuge.
    Options
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    evrybody is having a lot of fun ...killing npc's and i'm just sitting here mast.... downloading...
    Edited by Tonnopesce on 28 January 2015 20:18
    Signature

Options
  • Akalukz
    Akalukz
    ✭✭✭
    Ysne58 wrote: »
    The simplest solution would be to have a banker down in the outlaw refuge.

But it would have to charge extra to get money out of your "legit" bank. Handling fees and all :)
    Options
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly ZOS told us that prisons wont be in game atm so the best solution to mantain order and balance in the game is the camper-guards.
    Now since i'm not in the pts atm... if you respawn after begin killed by a guard you can hide and go around the city or you will be in infinite combat like in cyro?
    Signature

Options
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zhoyzu wrote: »

There is a game play option in setting to turn off the ability to hit NPCs so you can attack them all you want but you wont follow through with the attack. its below the hide/show helmet option.

Thank you

Edit to add: I'm glad you pointed this out . Perhaps ZOS could have a tooltip pop up option for people to see this . If it's is a tooltip , somehow I missed it which is possible . I've just been so distracted by the new content and eager to break it .
    Edited by Roechacca on 28 January 2015 20:30
    Options
  • Rudyard
    Rudyard
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO at the guards spawn camping the wayshrines.
    Deacon Grim
    Options