Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

If ESO too focused on AOE damage?

pknecron
pknecron
✭✭✭
Is AOE too important to the game? Does that make classes like the DK and Sorc which have core abilities that uses AOE more effective than the NB and Templar, or is AOE less important?
Edited by pknecron on 28 May 2014 22:45

If ESO too focused on AOE damage? 41 votes

Yes - AOE is vital and makes AOE heavy classes more effective.
82%
GeeYouWhyUrmiSer LoboAmsel_McKayThe_SpAwNNandredGrim13ccole.nhub17_ESOmakrethPhaoryxenter_name_hereUPrimeZabusShiallWifeaggro13KlauenAltusVenifusDaxxDeathStrikeKraidenDoveLoco_Mofo 34 votes
No - AOE is not that important and classes with less can be just as effective.
17%
NordJitsuArreyanneVeakothLazerithBlackwidowRedblade1525masenfuego 7 votes
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As someone who uses AOE all the time, I think it is just fine. :D
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If
  • pknecron
    pknecron
    ✭✭✭
    If

Typo, and the forum won't let me edit it...
  • jdoe
    jdoe
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm not really sure how to answer this one. Aren't a good portion of the AOEs available to everyone? I'm a Sorc, who would traditionally be one of the more AOE oriented classes, and the only AOE's I use (and I have a whole skill bar just for AOE) are class-neutral; namely, Impulse and Volcanic Rune.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pknecron wrote: »
    If

In the upper right hand of each of your posts is a black circle. Click on it.
  • pknecron
    pknecron
    ✭✭✭
    Blackwidow wrote: »
    If

I have, every time I try to save it, the forums tells me "Category is required" whatever that means, and won't save the changes.
    Edited by pknecron on 28 May 2014 22:57
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.

Ground based AoE and target AoE is much weaker than it should be. I think we need to remove or increase the target caps on things like Wall of Elements, Lightning Pool, Negate Magic, Nova, Standard, Meteor, Volcanic Rune, ect.

Only PBAoE like Solar Barrage and Impulse should have a target cap, if even that.

AoE is necessary for small skilled/organized groups to take out mindless zergs.

Other wise its just a crap shoot that boils down to "which side has more people."
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Sunrock
    Sunrock
    ✭✭✭
    First of all the Templar has good Cone and AOE damage. Learn to play...

But if you don't have good AOE damage post VR 5 you can't solo any of the solo quests in the overworld content. So yes....

The NB would work too if the class was fixed... Maybe give them a AOE CC?
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is quite obvious to anyone that played , AoE is king in general lols.
    Sunrock wrote: »
    First of all the Templar has good Cone and AOE damage. Learn to play...

But if you don't have good AOE damage post VR 5 you can't solo any of the solo quests in the overworld content. So yes....

The NB would work too if the class was fixed... Maybe give them a AOE CC?

Wrong.

Templar HAD a regular dps cone , because even if the dmg was indeed good , the templar mana pool and management could not keep it up for long.

Now it is just a crappy useless skill.

Learn about the other classes before you speak.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on 28 May 2014 23:08
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templars actually have the very best PBAoE in the game. Better than DK's Talons + Pulsar or Sorcs Crit Surge + Ring of Elements.

Its called Solar Barrage + Pulsar. Hardest hitting AoE combo in the game.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jdoe wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not really sure how to answer this one. Aren't a good portion of the AOEs available to everyone? I'm a Sorc, who would traditionally be one of the more AOE oriented classes, and the only AOE's I use (and I have a whole skill bar just for AOE) are class-neutral; namely, Impulse and Volcanic Rune.

Due to the capabilities of AOE, this forces players to either be playable and successful (pick the exact same skills as everyone else) or generally fail.

My argument is this: all classes that DPS specialize should be able to kill the same amount of enemies in the same amount of time. If this means AOE needs to be nerfed so that they can't kill enemies any quicker than my single-target focused archer Nightblade, then I'm all for it.

The power in AOE is killing multiple things at once. But in my opinion, AOE should never be more effective than single target, unless you're talking about critters and trash mobs. Adds and elites, it should be equal. Bosses? Single target should win.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Grim13
    Grim13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's AoE?

-Nightblade
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Blackwidow wrote: »
    If

I have, every time I try to save it, the forums tells me "Category is required" whatever that means, and won't save the changes.

It means when you made this post, you were not already in one of the specific chat rooms and there is a bug that will now not let you choose.

Sorry, Bud.
  • pknecron
    pknecron
    ✭✭✭
    Grim13 wrote: »
    What's AoE?

-Nightblade

Soul Shred... I know that's an Ultimate, but it's still probably the best AOE a NB has.
    Though, compaired to the DK Standard of Might Ultimate, soul shred should have it's cost reduced a bit... to say 100 or 125.

Edited by pknecron on 28 May 2014 23:57
  • Grim13
    Grim13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's AoE?

-Nightblade

Soul Shred... I know that's an Ultimate, but it's still probably the best AOE a NB has.
    Though, compaired to the DK Standard of Might Ultimate, soul shred should have it's cost reduced a bit... to say 100 or 125.

I suppose I should just be happy you didn't tell me to use a destroy staff!
  • Apom
    Apom
    ✭✭
    Why did Zeni spending hundreds of countless hours even making art for heavy/medium armor. They could have spent more time refining this game if they would just have everyone running around with staves and light armor. I mean..that pretty much is what you need to run Craglorn.

Don't be a hindrance. Don't be melee.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's AoE?

-Nightblade

Dunno man, I kinda prefer Veil of Blades.