Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Play as you want?

Maragar
Maragar
Soul Shriven
Well..... I want to play a NON magic using ha melee range dude who just stabs people to dead and laughs at stupid teeny emo Harry Potter hokus pokus!

Can I do that and be viable?

• Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure you can if you play a Dragonknight or a sorc and use Staff/staff as the two weapons.

Remember you can find a staff's with pointed ends to stab people with
  • CombatBeard
    CombatBeard
    ✭✭✭
    No.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Free-dom, with their exception!"

- Metallica
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • Dark_Dread
    Dark_Dread
    ✭✭
    I am pretty sure the "Play as you want" was a typo. What they really meant to type was "Pay as you want".
    "Any man can overcome adversity. To truly test a man, give him power."(Thornwolf, Rowan Redwolf~AD)
  • CombatBeard
    CombatBeard
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone's a Sorcerer Online.
  • Iceman_mat
    Iceman_mat
    ✭✭✭
    Maragar wrote: »
    Well..... I want to play a NON magic using ha melee range dude who just stabs people to dead and laughs at stupid teeny emo Harry Potter hokus pokus!

Yes

Pick one of the following

Templar - Easy
    DK - Medium
    NB - Hard

Since you want no magic that leaves

DK - Medium
    NB - Hard

You want a melee range, that's fine

DK - 2hander + Bow
    NB - Dual weapon + Bow

Why is DK ranked Medium and NB hard?

Both will require you use Alchemy and potions to heal since you don't want to use magic or magical items (Alchemy debatable magic use) however you do need to heal. Your choice now is like skyrim either stack regen (Extremely hard) or use potions you make or buy from vendors. Keeping in mind that vendor potions (until drop potions are found) will make you take a hit money wise.

Templar is the easier way as they can heal without staffs I believe (rites of passage) however it could be argued as magical (spell). Up to you.

-Cheers
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    Iceman_mat wrote: »

Yes

Templar - Easy
    DK - Medium
    NB - Hard

DK - Medium
    NB - Hard

DK - 2hander + Bow
    NB - Dual weapon + Bow

Both will require you use Alchemy and potions to heal since you don't want to use magic or magical items (Alchemy debatable magic use) however you do need to heal. Your choice now is like skyrim either stack regen (Extremely hard) or use potions you make or buy from vendors. Keeping in mind that vendor potions (until drop potions are found) will make you take a hit money wise.

Templar is the easier way as they can heal without staffs I believe (rites of passage) however it could be argued as magical (spell). Up to you.

-Cheers

As the OP wants a non magic build, and following your logic, you could just remove the templar. And as the OP seems to speak about (solo?) PvP, please try to heal yourself as a templar in PvP before you assume it can be an efficient path with a melee build. I don't say it's not possible. But I can assure you that it's definitely NOT the "easier way"...Theory crafting is fun but it needs further testing ^^
  • Iceman_mat
    Iceman_mat
    ✭✭✭
    As the OP wants a non magic build, and following your logic, you could just remove the templar. And as the OP seems to speak about (solo?) PvP, please try to heal yourself as a templar in PvP before you assume it can be an efficient path with a melee build. I don't say it's not possible. But I can assure you that it's definitely NOT the "easier way"...Theory crafting is fun but it needs further testing ^^

It's easier because you have a base heal.

I did remove the Templar and re-added with an explanation why.

Stop trying to start internet fights, they are stupid and pointless.

-Cheers
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes

Templar - Easy
    DK - Medium
    NB - Hard

DK - Medium
    NB - Hard

DK - 2hander + Bow
    NB - Dual weapon + Bow

-Cheers
    I'd argue that class doesn't matter too much because if you want to play a non-magic user, you have to give up class skills anyway. Which borders on suicide, but nobody said it would be easy...
    Edited by Rosveen on 28 May 2014 16:07
  • Iceman_mat
    Iceman_mat
    ✭✭✭
    I'd argue that class doesn't matter too much because if you want to play a non-magic user, you have to give up class skills anyway. Which borders on suicide, but nobody said it would be easy...

A DK could do it on the basis that his Leap and Blood are not "spells" but inherent traits. Reflective Scales is debatable.

Magma armor, stonefist, molten weapons and obsidian shield could also be traits.

Spiked armor, talons, inhale, petrigy and ash cloud I would say are spells (ash cloud debateable too)

The passives (e.g iron skin) seem alright.

Give that one could use the first 3 skills (Dragonknight standard, leap, armor) to level each tree and then spec into the passives picking up Dragon blood (regen) and either stone first / molten weapon (2hander?) or molten weapon and obsidian shield (sword n board)

Use alchemy for healing and bam, non-magical character. Hard as *** to make. Good Luck :D.

-Cheers
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭

It's easier because you have a base heal.

I did remove the Templar and re-added with an explanation why.

Stop trying to start internet fights, they are stupid and pointless.

-Cheers

Things are not that simple. Your heals will eat your magicka very fast if you just spam it. And you'll still die very fast from burst damage, CC, etc..
    There are many efficient ways to "remove damage" or, better, prevent it: CC, mobility, etc..
    And if you use all your magicka to heal yourself, you won't use it to try to kill your opponent...It will just take slightly longer to kill you than if you stand doing nothing.

I'm not "fighting" you, I just express my own point of view. Relax.
  • aleister
    aleister
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played a mostly S&B / 2H templar most of the way to vet level. After that, it got way too hard for me. I know there are people that do it. I don't think you can completely eliminate use of magic though.
  • PayneTK
    PayneTK
    ✭✭
    This nerf just completely destroyed Templar as Melee!
    -i don't want ranged aoe
    -i don't want to be a healer
    -i don't want to use a destruction staff or wear a dress

It's my only character and i perfectly shaped him for melee combat (heavy armor, sword and board). Now i cant use him like that anymore. I collected every skyshard, lorebook, bookshelves i can find with this character from the beginning of this game, i don't want to start over with a new character.

I can no longer play Templar as i want. Templar melee build is completely destroyed!!
  • mar1ano1987nrb18_ESO
    The thing is magicka is a main stat and you are going to use it for class skills even if your main weapon is a stamina based. This is how the game works, I didnt like it at first since I always played a Full warrior or full Rogue in all my ES games, but ...I got used to this new sistem.

Bow and dual wield works well in Pvp. But in a full perpesctive right now ...the all melee stamina based builds (using medium/heavy armor) are way behind the light armor and staff users.
    Im a DK, i dont care if they remove my Talons, Reflective scale, Standard of might., I just wanna be able to use my medium armor and Two handed skills without being consider a " Bad Dps" .

Stukha - Dragon Knight - Ebonheart Pact
    Bazhinga - Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    /
  • dr_zed
    dr_zed
    ✭✭✭
    Being a Dk allows you to do anything.
  • Maragar
    Maragar
    Soul Shriven
    this game just forces you to play a aoe harry potter in drapes (pve or pvp). It is a bit daft and a lot sad. Such a great looking and atmospheric game with no real choice on what to do with your toon. Of Course If we would have a number of real choices on how to build our toons would probably be a nightmare to balance things.
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im a DK, i dont care if they remove my Talons, Reflective scale, Standard of might., I just wanna be able to use my medium armor and Two handed skills without being consider a " Bad Dps" .

I dont play a DK, NB silly me huh, I couldn't agree more. Nicely said.

I would give them millions if they would let me be a GM with the Insta kill console command for 6 hours to go to AvA and slaughter anyone with a staff
    Edited by Arreyanne on 28 May 2014 16:54
  • WilliamTee
    WilliamTee
    ✭✭✭
    I play mostly dual-wield/dual-wield (single target/aoe) NB and I do pretty good in most PVE stuff as DPS.

3-5 pack mobs can be dealt with, as long as abilities don't bug out (sadly they often do), though my AOE is definitely a bit lacking compared to others.

Then I hit trials, where I'm a bit poop.

In fact any melee that aren't tanks are poop.

IN FACT, anything that's not restro/destro Sorc/DK is pretty darn poop. :'(

So it depends on context really: what do you mean by 'viable'?

Can you play as melee dps and have fun? sure.

Can you play as melee dps and expect to keep pace with other classes in end game content? Hells no.