Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Botting/Hacking

faerigirl
faerigirl
✭✭✭✭
So we all know there are a lot of bots in this game but people talk about bots that fly or travel underground and/or have unusual speed.

What I want to know is if this game seems unusually easy to hack. If all these bots speeding around can hack ESO why can't everyone do it? Why can't anyone be a 'gold seller'?

Besides the ethical issues about cheating, what is stopping any one of us from hacking? These are just programs you can get from the internet right?

ZOS doesn't seem to have a really good solution to the problem. Don't get me wrong, I understand that you might get banned and lose your account.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen programs on the internet.

I think there is a LOT of people using these programs that's why there are so many bot in this game.
    One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    faerigirl wrote: »
    Besides the ethical issues about cheating, what is stopping any one of us from hacking? These are just programs you can get from the internet right?
    Mostly the bolded part above is the reason, but botters and hackers are being banned - just not quickly enough or in sufficient volume.

A big part of the reason hacking is so easy in ESO is that much of the game is client-based, which grants a great deal of trust to the end-user, which is never a smart idea in an MMO.
    Edited by GreySix on 28 May 2014 15:15
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must have cost them thousands of dollars by now with all of the accounts I have reported. Screw those gold farming botters, report every single one and make them lose money and many hours in ESO.

I'd like to meet someone who does their line of work in real life, so I could introduce them to my fist. inb4 x-rated comment.. hahahaaa, fist to face people, fist to face!
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on 28 May 2014 15:19
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    People who want to cheat will. Heck the things you describe went on in wow for years, the still might. They still go on in GW2 and its over a year old now. I have no idea how easy or hard it is compared to others, since ive never actually tried to do it in any of them. But this problem is hardly unique to ESO
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    People who want to cheat will. Heck the things you describe went on in wow for years, the still might. They still go on in GW2 and its over a year old now. I have no idea how easy or hard it is compared to others, since ive never actually tried to do it in any of them. But this problem is hardly unique to ESO

I don't think he is saying that it is unique to ESO, I think he is asking why it's not just a free-for-all.

I think most people are decent and wouldn't cheat like that by actually ~hacking~ the game. Most people don't even poke around in the game files on their computer and there is all sorts of fun stuff in there.
    One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• hk11
    hk11
    ✭✭✭✭

There are bots in WoW that will quest 1-90 with little interaction. They bank, sell, and even auction while questing. WoW still has bots and probably the most advanced bots.

• Iceman_mat
    Iceman_mat
    ✭✭✭
    WoW is Bots. It is a Bot game.

Go to a WoW BG, Winning side has most actual players. WoW is a Bot MMO.

-Cheers