Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Guilds feel useless

Cybrdroyd
Cybrdroyd
✭✭✭
I am starting to become disillusioned with guild life here in ESO. Its rather easy to recruit members, after all, who doesn't want more customers to sell to? However, nobody seems to read the message of the day or the about us page. I created a guild website which I've only managed to convince my officers to log in to. I have a guild bank which members who have registered on the guild website have free access to.

It seems like most members join and then ignore us for the remainder because they most likely belong to four other guilds. Guild chat is quiet, even when members are logged in, and when we group up, it seems mostly to help someone with their single player quests which is difficult if all the group members aren't on the same phase of the quests. Dungeons are fun though with a group. Its also hard to get group members to understand the concept of "travel to player" so we are all in the same shard together.

Is Zenimax anti-social? Has the culture of mmos changed since I last belonged to a social friendly guild? I like to think I am a pretty social friendly guild leader, I try and talk to my guild mates as much as possible. Are guilds in ESO useless aside from having the guild store? For me its a fairly straightforward deal to create a group for dungeons, making guilds unnecessary. However, my desire to build a strong community of social players who help each other and who are chatty and want to socialize is pretty great, and I am beginning to feel like this game, the culture, the mindset of elder scrolls players doesn't lend itself to fun happy guild life.

Is it just me? Or am I doing something terribly wrong?
The road leads ever onward...

• frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Terribly wrong. Find a guild that is more then just a guild. Find a community. Our guild builds for each other, we gather for PvP nights and PvE nights and are rather active. If your guild is lackluster move on.
  • Cybrdroyd
    Cybrdroyd
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could, I started it.

• Darastix
    Darastix
    ✭✭✭
    Cybrdroyd wrote: »
    I wish I could, I started it.

The 5 guilds thing has made it so you really have to go above and beyond to keep members active, and if you feel it necessary, kick those who don't participate.
  • alphawolph
    alphawolph
    ✭✭✭
    They need to take away the business aspect of guilds and I think they would improve a lot.

Cybrdroyd you just need to give it time and work on it, when you recruit only talk about being a social guild. And, try to build a base of people that care about the guild.

It's a hard road though, I've already had 3 social guilds just kinda dry up and go away. With one more working on it.
  • Cybrdroyd
    Cybrdroyd
    ✭✭✭
    alphawolph wrote: »
    They need to take away the business aspect of guilds and I think they would improve a lot.

Cybrdroyd you just need to give it time and work on it, when you recruit only talk about being a social guild. And, try to build a base of people that care about the guild.

It's a hard road though, I've already had 3 social guilds just kinda dry up and go away. With one more working on it.

I agree, they need to take away the guild store thing and just have an auction house. Also, they need to make a way for people to group up for single player quests and stay on the same phase.

Also, I do make it clear this is a social/crafting/pve guild and not a pvp guild or a "raider" guild. We do have a handful of members who contribute a lot, 2 of them are now officers, one more is soon to become one. The rest for the most part are doing their own thing. We had one person clear out the guild bank and leave, so I made the guild website and made a rule that full membership only comes when you register for the website, and are active members for a week. I recruit on average 1-3 a day. My officers have full recruit priveleges but I guess they aren't into the recruiting thing so I am left to do it all.

I just really want to make a nice guild for people to chat and socialize and craft for each other and help each other. I am thankful for those that do, the few of them, but I just wish there were more. What I really want to avoid is a group of kids talking trash to each other and stinking up the place.

• Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing like that in my main guild. We are a guild of sorcerers and main magic users. Sort of like a real player Mages Guild. We give mats to people that need them. Post out armours to each other for deconstructing. We team up and do group dungeons to help lower levels through and even ones that are our level and our guild chat is usually active, friendly and fun. I guess we are all more or less in the same frame of mind as to what our guild is about.

I deliberately pick up nodes and mats to post out to others whose professions need them. Even though we are fairly small at the moment, I've had a ton of fun with these guys.
    Edited by Enteum on 28 May 2014 14:33
    Asira Avalis - Mage