Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Cover your ears and pretend nightblades are fine

glitchmaster999
glitchmaster999
✭✭✭✭
People keep saying on forums and in game that nightblades are overpowered and dont need to be buffed.... You sit there on your dragonnight thinking everything is fine with your nightblade while you solo v10 content and cry about the glory days where you could out dps anyone with rightclick.

Nightblades are not fine, they make good healers and they work with this build yadayadayada... they should work with every build not just the one you are using... I should be able to put my points in stamina, pull out a bow and deal as much damage as the next guy... that just doesn't happen.

-Haste doesnt work past rank 2 with any weapon
-summon shade does 26 damage a hit.. as a capston
-assasination has one damage skill that does barely anything unless they are low
- most builds have the same three things on the bar, surprise attack, shadow cloak and siphoning strikes
- they have low aoe capabilities, which would be fine if they had more single target dps
- sneak attacks are bugged sometimes not doing damge
- no reliable heal (all other classes have a decent heal) cant even get back to full with strife
- no damage boosts that dont require multiple mobs (makes no sense for class purpose)
- no real debuffs, just damage and crappy buffs
- no synergy besides shadow cloak surprise attack and even then its buggy
- shadow cloak is hit and miss and doesnt do much for offensive capabilities besides stun combo that is too expensive for stam builds
- they are good for the fact they can get near unlimited resources back but damage decrease is too high

Stop just blowing people off because you aren't having the problems.
  • ekram28
    ekram28
    Soul Shriven
    I keep checking these forums out of habit but have given up, cancelled my sub and moving on to another MMO to be released in a few days.

These nightblade issues will be fixed at some point im sure but the thing that make's me not want to resub even when they are is the poor customer support and the need to release new content before fixing the original stuff.

It's crazy that a company can bring down servers so often, suffer with game-breaking issues like the current error 301 issue and a huge list of bugs and completley fail to properly address them.

So yeah they will probably fix these issues at some point, but no im not waiting months for them to be done, prioritized behind getting more content out which introduces even more bugs.

TL:DR - Devs - "Nightblades are horribly broken? better release new content!"
    "New content is horribly broken? better take the weekend off"
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭
    ekram28 wrote: »
    I keep checking these forums out of habit but have given up, cancelled my sub and moving on to another MMO to be released in a few days.

These nightblade issues will be fixed at some point im sure but the thing that make's me not want to resub even when they are is the poor customer support and the need to release new content before fixing the original stuff.

It's crazy that a company can bring down servers so often, suffer with game-breaking issues like the current error 301 issue and a huge list of bugs and completley fail to properly address them.

So yeah they will probably fix these issues at some point, but no im not waiting months for them to be done, prioritized behind getting more content out which introduces even more bugs.

And the the all famous "Nightblades need buffs? Better nerf their ultimate!"
  • Lkory
    Lkory
    ✭✭✭

Have fun in Wildstar, I am pretty sure they will be much better then Zeni but you will still whine anyway because server is off during the time when normal peeps work and you dont :)

Or some other lag issue that will certainly happen, Enjoy!
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lkory wrote: »

Have fun in Wildstar, I am pretty sure they will be much better then Zeni but you will still whine anyway because server is off during the time when normal peeps work and you dont :)

Im sticking with ESO, I just want things to change for the better and quickly.
  • Wintersage
    Wintersage
    ✭✭✭
    People keep saying on forums and in game that nightblades are overpowered and dont need to be buffed....

Actually, I don't think anyone has been saying that. They've been saying they're underpowered and need some love.

• glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wintersage wrote: »
    People keep saying on forums and in game that nightblades are overpowered and dont need to be buffed....

Actually, I don't think anyone has been saying that. They've been saying they're underpowered and need some love.

Really? Someone posts something about nightblades are underpowere and need buffs and the first comment is usually "no they arent, my build destroys x using y". I would know because this will be my 4th post about nightblades.
  • ekram28
    ekram28
    Soul Shriven

What are you saying? that the problems with the Nightblade and Zenimax shouldn't be brought up otherwise we're having a "whine"??

Genuine and true criticism is not whining, its pointing out the (in this case huge) shortcomings in ESO and a class.
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭

What are you saying? that the problems with the Nightblade and Zenimax shouldn't be brought up otherwise we're having a "whine"??

Genuine and true criticism is not whining, its pointing out the (in this case huge) shortcomings in ESO and a class.

Yeah there is a huge difference between whining and giving feedback, even if it is negative it is justified.
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't suppose you decided to read the sticky about Nightblade issues and fixes that will come inevitably. Also, I've never had a problem with my nb. Not saying they don't need tweaks, but I still crush npcs like butter.
  • ekram28
    ekram28
    Soul Shriven
    I don't suppose you decided to read the sticky about Nightblade issues and fixes that will come inevitably. Also, I've never had a problem with my nb. Not saying they don't need tweaks, but I still crush npcs like butter.

I read the sticky about the Nightblade, that's part of my issue.

I don't think new content like craglorn and crypt of hearts should be pushed so quickly when there are so many glaring issue's with the game already, Nightblade being one of them. And i certainly don't like the fact that it has taken that long into release to even bring up the issue.
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you see the DK solo Craglorn video?
    Now just imagine having to fight that kind of powerhouse in pvp, 1vs1.
    We need all the help we can get. :|

• glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭

I have read the sticky, and people like you are what this post is about :P the top groups For trials have like 3 nightblades.... not for each group for the whole thing, 60% are sorcs, the rest of the majority is dk with some templar healers mixed in
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭

I have read the sticky, and people like you are what this post is about :P the top groups For trials have like 3 nightblades.... not for each group for the whole thing, 60% are sorcs, the rest of the majority is dk with some templar healers mixed in

60% are sorcs but the of the majority of a group are dks? lol
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kingslayer wrote: »

60% are sorcs but the of the majority of a group are dks? lol

If you read it, it makes sense, 60% sorcs, rest of majority (instead say rest of 90%) are dks :P
  • Esha76
    Esha76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say, I have been thinking this same thing and restraining myself from commenting in other threads. I see some people who have some arrogant posts about how they have xyz build, and they own everything in VR solo... and you should have this build, and if not you're doing it wrong, and you need to learn strategy, and L2P, and so on...

If these geniuses would take a moment to stop congratulating themselves and deeming everyone else noob/fail, they might learn that this game was not intended for there to be one secret build that will win over all content and PvP. For any class. The intention is clearly to read all three class tracks and come up with your own combinations. Granted, some will work better than others (if the abilities work at all, which in NB's case some are not). These elitists need to learn this isn't like other MMOs where people will inspect you then lecture you about how you're supposed to have x ability rather than y, and you should reforge for this, and why do you have that gem... go to xyz website, stop being lazy and do some research - as in - go to this website and build your character exactly as that site tells you to then we might let you raid with us. A person with a degree of cognitive ability would be able to see clearly that is not what the devs intended with this game. Which is something I feel sets it above many other MMOs. Therefor, I am hopeful the devs can do something to fix NBs so I can go back to my VR8 NB who had a build that worked beautifully, and enjoyably, until patch 1.2.

And in regards to those who accuse others of "whining/crying/QQing" and the other hostile, toxic, flaming comments for that matter... They are almost always one of (if not both) types. A) Little bratty kids who's mommy and daddy still clap for them when they use the bathroom on their own. or B. Someone with such a severe inferiority complex that they need to feel better about themselves through insults and snide comments in MMO chat windows and forums. The other trait they all have is that they are all cowards also. None of them have the spine to be so disrespectful to someone's face, so through anonymity, and forum/user terms and rules, they can pull their big boy pants up and mouth off as much as they want. They usually excel at keeping it right under the "actionable' line so they never have any consequences. Then us more civilized beings are forced to suffer their continued painful existence.

Now then... lets see how long it takes for this thread to be shut down now shall we?
    Edited by Esha76 on 27 May 2014 02:27
    "There is no moisture in your angry stares." - Laughs-at-All
    "I don't know why I bother guarding you horrible people." - Orama Sadas
    "Scales here is about to have a really bad day..." - Valeric
    "Just tell me what you're doing here before I turn your heart into a tomato..." - Sereyne
    "Break those rocks! Dig those ditches! Why??? Because I want you to!!!" - Ifriz the Unraveller
    "There are worse masters than I. Far worse." - Molag Bal
    "I humiliated the Daedra in Mehrunes Spite." - You, when turning in a specific Undaunted Daily.
    "I'm not finding you very pleasant!" - Adla the Brewer
    "Old Ri'hirr likes his birds slow and stupid!" - Old Ri'hirr
    "When things get dirty... Oh, I get so flustered." - Meredil the Archivist
    "Too many Argonians about these days..." - Davon's Watch Guard (though I think this one has been removed from game)
  • hk11
    hk11
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the issue is that NB is going to be hard to balance for pvp while still being viable in pve.

That said, all of the classes are currently sort of bad or boring.
  • AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not forget...

In PvP, I sneak up and burst down a single target. The nearby enemy turn their attention to me. I use stealth to slip away but wait...

.2 seconds later the stealth falls off. I use it again and again it falls immediately off.

Mean while a DK can run up and burst down multiple targets (no need for sneaking and not limited to a single target).

In PvE (of all things) I've used my stealth skill, my character performed the animation, I lose the magicka, and I never actually enter stealth at all.

Not only have they nerfed the ultimate and limited us to just one skill that gets a sneak attack bonus, but they limited that bonus to work off of a natural sneak and not off of the stealth skill.
  • Pancake-Tragedy
    Pancake-Tragedy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AinGeal wrote: »

In PvE (of all things) I've used my stealth skill, my character performed the animation, I lose the magicka, and I never actually enter stealth at all.

My keyboard has felt much rage from this happening.
    Pancake Tragedy - Sorcerer
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a fellow nightblade I wholeheartedly support this thread.

Still having a ball with him and have never asked for any buffs. All I want is to fix the bugs and odd mechanics with this class. I mean we've had skills & passives that flat out have never worked since beta. If we can at least fix these, then we can see exactly where NBs stand in regards to balance.
  • davidetombab16_ESO
    davidetombab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    stop stop stop stop complain about nighblade, learn to rerol!!!
    DK solo trial craglorn post patch 1.1.2
    Aetherian Archive Trial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-AihITyYqQ

4 Man Dungeons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pODBGHKF2VU
    Edited by davidetombab16_ESO on 27 May 2014 04:08
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think the sticky pretty much explains they are looking into it. No need to express such doom and gloom.
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • bean19
    bean19
    ✭✭✭
    I get that these need a buff compared to other classes, but I don't get all the doom and gloom. Basically, nightblades should be stamina builds (thus they are heavily focused on weapon skills). What this means is that you are less focused on class skills and more focused on weapon skills. I use dual wield (primary) and bow (secondary). . . and I feel viable with both.

Having said that, I'd love buffs. Buffs are great. I want buffs for every class and/or making veteran content less difficult. Basically, I love playing with different builds. I love the variety in gameplay that creates and I enjoy min/maxxing to try to make the most powerful builds. What I don't like is that veteran solo PvE is so tough that I feel like I have to use my very best build all the time to survive. . . well, unless I'm on my DK. . . but don't nerf the DKs - just make us all that insanely good!
    -
  • Birfreben_Kinghelred
    People keep saying on forums and in game that nightblades are overpowered and dont need to be buffed.... You sit there on your dragonnight thinking everything is fine with your nightblade while you solo v10 content and cry about the glory days where you could out dps anyone with rightclick.

Nightblades are not fine, they make good healers and they work with this build yadayadayada... they should work with every build not just the one you are using... I should be able to put my points in stamina, pull out a bow and deal as much damage as the next guy... that just doesn't happen.

I think this was fixed in 1.1.2. The IAS on my IV incapacitate morph is working.. just the incapacitate part doesn't. /facepalm.
    I dont think summon shades is intended to deal lots of damage. I use it in pvp to drain perma blocking shield users stamina. Each blocked attack drains the same amount of stamina whether it deals 10 damage or 200. Using this and then going invis forces and ultimatum on your opponent. Stop blocking and get stunned through concealed weapon or continue blocking *** damage until your out of stamina. Most of the abilities in the shadow line focus on running your opponent out of stamina so you can melt them in veil of blades. At least that's how I play it.
    -assasination has one damage skill that does barely anything unless they are low
    - most builds have the same three things on the bar, surprise attack, shadow cloak and siphoning strikes
    I think this one hits the nail on the head, its not that nightblade's are weak. the problem is they can only really be used one way, most abilities just do so little or are so situational they aren't worth a slot on your bar. Other abilities are extremely powerful and its basically suicidal to not slot them.
    - they have low aoe capabilities, which would be fine if they had more single target dps
    I think they should go back on the nerf to deathstroke, at least in pvp. Its so situational that a player has it fully charged and manages to sneak up behind some1 w/o them turning and seeing you, especially in big group fights. I honestly thought it was intended to function like that.
    - no reliable heal (all other classes have a decent heal) cant even get back to full with strife
    Idk, I kinda like this, I wish more healing was this gimped. I play a lot of DOTA 2. Healing isn't as prevalent/fight changing in that game. Its kind of just like a bonus 300 hp every 5-10 seconds. It keeps the combat fast and more focus on not getting caught out of position instead of who has the bigger zerg/most healers behind them. It has its place but I don't think it should double your hit points for 3-5 seconds of casting. If you factor in the damage mitigation from blocking/heavy armour/shadow cloak/veil of blades/darkshades its pretty easy to hit the 95% reduction cap. At 95% damage reduction, that 300 hp heal from swallow soul, is giving you massive amounts of EHP.
    - no damage boosts that dont require multiple mobs (makes no sense for class purpose)
    One of drain power's morphs gives you 11% bonus attack damage when fully leveled up. (the 9 target one) And they fixed this to always give you 11% attack damage if you hit a target or not. Thats' 22%-33% bonus attack power for 2-3 mobs I think that's plenty.
    Reapers mark, agony, cripple, surprise attack, deathstroke, mass hysteria, dark shades, lotus fan, the disorient from mirage. We have no shortage of debuffs. Some of Our buffs are crap, (haste) especially with how strong other ones like shadow cloak are, you're right about that.
    - shadow cloak is hit and miss and doesnt do much for offensive capabilities besides stun combo that is too expensive for stam builds
    Its best used defensively even if not trying to escape/run, 1700 armour/magic resistance is a lot.
    - they are good for the fact they can get near unlimited resources back but damage decrease is too high

I don't think its possible to make every build viable at VR, that's kind of a ridiculous expectation. I think 1-50 is where you have fun and rp/joke, "play how you want", etc. VR is where it gets hard and you need to use your build to its limit. The difficulty ramping up with each rank, with little to no benefit to the player.

• Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bean19 wrote: »
    I get that these need a buff compared to other classes, but I don't get all the doom and gloom. Basically, nightblades should be stamina builds (thus they are heavily focused on weapon skills). What this means is that you are less focused on class skills and more focused on weapon skills. I use dual wield (primary) and bow (secondary). . . and I feel viable with both.
    This makes no sense since all of our class abilities require magika. What makes each class unique is the abilities associated with the class. Anyone can dual wield.

The class is obviously the most challenging to play at the moment. Is it possible to solo VR content? Absolutely. Are you preferred in groups as a Nightblade? No way. Not in the way most nightblades want to play the class anyhow.

• glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭
    bothnutz wrote: »
    I think this was fixed in 1.1.2. The IAS on my IV incapacitate morph is working.. just the incapacitate part doesn't. /facepalm.

They didn't fix it, tested both morphs, doesn't work on two handed, bow or staves.

-summon shade does 26 damage a hit.. as a capstone
    I don't think summon shades is intended to deal lots of damage. I use it in pvp to drain perma blocking shield users stamina. Each blocked attack drains the same amount of stamina whether it deals 10 damage or 200. Using this and then going invis forces and ultimatum on your opponent. Stop blocking and get stunned through concealed weapon or continue blocking *** damage until your out of stamina. Most of the abilities in the shadow line focus on running your opponent out of stamina so you can melt them in veil of blades. At least that's how I play it.

That isn't what the tree is meant to be for, the design goal is meant to be rogue like, just because you can use it for something doesn't mean it is good at it..... You could do the same thing with a bow auto attack, you are wasting a whole skill slot just in case you come across a sword and board.

-assassination has one damage skill that does barely anything unless they are low
    I think this one hits the nail on the head, its not that nightblade's are weak. the problem is they can only really be used one way, most abilities just do so little or are so institutional they aren't worth a slot on your bar. Other abilities are extremely powerful and its basically suicidal to not slot them.

You just talked about using a capstone to drain a tanks stamina and you are saying situational is bad.

I think they should go back on the nerf to deathstroke, at least in pvp. Its so situational that a player has it fully charged and manages to sneak up behind some1 w/o them turning and seeing you, especially in big group fights. I honestly thought it was intended to function like that.

Yeah I can't see any reason why they nerfed it.

Idk, I kinda like this, I wish more healing was this gimped. I play a lot of DOTA 2. Healing isn't as prevalent/fight changing in that game. Its kind of just like a bonus 300 hp every 5-10 seconds. It keeps the combat fast and more focus on not getting caught out of position instead of who has the bigger zerg/most healers behind them. It has its place but I don't think it should double your hit points for 3-5 seconds of casting. If you factor in the damage mitigation from blocking/heavy armour/shadow cloak/veil of blades/darkshades its pretty easy to hit the 95% reduction cap. At 95% damage reduction, that 300 hp heal from swallow soul, is giving you massive amounts of EHP.

I agree with nerfing healing a lot but im just saying it should be on par with other classes.

One of drain power's morphs gives you 11% bonus attack damage when fully leveled up. (the 9 target one) And they fixed this to always give you 11% attack damage if you hit a target or not. Thats' 22%-33% bonus attack power for 2-3 mobs I think that's plenty.

I use it, its great but its not what im talking about, single target nightblades single someone out and what a lot of damage on their first hit, how does that happen if they need multiple mobs and they have to damage them before they gain the weapon damage boost. I'm talking about something like replacing blur with a damage boost that you can cast before a fight.

Reapers mark, agony, cripple, surprise attack, deathstroke, mass hysteria, dark shades, lotus fan, the disorient from mirage. We have no shortage of debuffs. Some of Our buffs are crap, (haste) especially with how strong other ones like shadow cloak are, you're right about that.

CC isn't a debuff, reapers mark is mostly bugged right now and when hitting for 2.3k on a sneak attack without it and 2.42k with it, not really a big difference. The debuffs don't actually debuff, there are only really two half decent debuffs and thats the reapers mark and the drain move speed even though I don't use it. I'm talking debuffs like everyone expected siphoning to be as in the enemy loses weapon damage and you gain it, enemy loses armor and you gain it. At the moment if you cast every debuff a nightblade has on a single enemy, you are still at a disadvantage.... especially seeing as though one of the best debuffs they get also debuffs you.

Its best used defensively even if not trying to escape/run, 1700 armour/magic resistance is a lot.

Just because it's best used defensively doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to be used offensively.

I don't think its possible to make every build viable at VR, that's kind of a ridiculous expectation. I think 1-50 is where you have fun and rp/joke, "play how you want", etc. VR is where it gets hard and you need to use your build to its limit. The difficulty ramping up with each rank, with little to no benefit to the player.

Then the whole way they presented this game is wrong, you should be able to make any build work, that is what makes a good MMO. If I can make a cleric into a ranger in DDO you should be able to build a nigthblade as anything you want. It may not be as good but I should be able to use a sword and board and be good, even if im not as good as a dragonknight with it, still good. What you want is for there to be phew builds that actually work which is what the game state implies at the moment. The fact that nightblades aren't even getting into groups shows that, there are only templars, sorcerers and dragonknights according to parties. Even then there aren't that many templars.

Edited by glitchmaster999 on 27 May 2014 07:11
  • Jade_Knightblazerb14_ESO
    Just wanted to add something I recently discovered about Swallow Soul...

Appears the Health back tics do not reset after each cast based on the damage, if you don't let the duration of the first cast finish.

This is a good thing and bad thing... If you crit on your first Swallow Soul, you will get pretty large heals back. Long as you keep recasting Swallow Soul before the duration ends you will continue to gain those large heals even if your next casts don't crit.

Now... if your first Swallow Soul is not a crit and you continue to refresh... You will always get the low heals and never a crit based one.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to add something I recently discovered about Swallow Soul...

Appears the Health back tics do not reset after each cast based on the damage, if you don't let the duration of the first cast finish.

This is a good thing and bad thing... If you crit on your first Swallow Soul, you will get pretty large heals back. Long as you keep recasting Swallow Soul before the duration ends you will continue to gain those large heals even if your next casts don't crit.

Now... if your first Swallow Soul is not a crit and you continue to refresh... You will always get the low heals and never a crit based one.
    W ow - just wow.

• monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is funny, because maybe one day you also learn 1 thing:

DKs you see that are strong in your eyes, ALWAYS use Destro/Resto and Spirit Siphon to not run out of magicka in an instant (DKs lack the regen of the NB and sorc).

If you expect others to understand what you are saying, maybe it's time to stop being ignorant yourself and see that not all DKs are that strong. You HAVE to use a specific Destro/Resto build for that power you and others with the "grass is greener" mentality fail to see. And you need brains to make it actually work as well.
    Edited by monkeymystic on 27 May 2014 12:37
  • glitchmaster999
    glitchmaster999
    ✭✭✭✭

This is funny, because maybe one day you also learn 1 thing:

DKs you see that are strong in your eyes, ALWAYS use Destro/Resto and Spirit Siphon to not run out of magicka in an instant (DKs lack the regen of the NB and sorc).

If you expect others to understand what you are saying, maybe it's time to stop being ignorant yourself and see that not all DKs are that strong. You HAVE to use a specific Destro/Resto build for that power you and others with the "grass is greener" mentality fail to see. And you need brains to make it actually work as well.

That is wrong on every level and i'm not even sure you are playing the sane game. Sword and board up until recently was destroying everything, no regen? Dragons Blood? I play a dragonknight with a two hander an dual weild and im getting 700+ dps with two hander.... Sure destro resto can solo a trial but that doesn't mean the rest of the builds aren't op... that was actually the stupidest thing I've read on these forums..
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mablung wrote: »
    This makes no sense since all of our class abilities require magika. What makes each class unique is the abilities associated with the class. Anyone can dual wield.

If you specifically want to duel wield, nightblade seems to the best class for the job. The class abilities complement the duel wielding nicely, they don't require all that much magika, and with a stamina focused build, your magika usually just sits there full waiting for the times you need to heal or get out of trouble.

It's in the freaking name nightBLADE.
    Edited by badmojo on 27 May 2014 13:12
    [DC/NA]