Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Are 'Ice Elves' a possible future race for ESO

Phantax
Phantax
✭✭✭✭✭
I've noticed while travelling through Tamriel a few references to 'Ice Elves'
Is this by any chance a teaser for something (another race) that may be added at a later date? I have to admit just the name sounds very cool and I can already imagine the armor/styles they could wear !
High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice elves, or snow elves? I don't recall any reference to ice elves, but there were definitely snow elves - by the time of ESO they've been effectively extinct for many centuries, as their entire surviving population (aside from a couple of outliers) was transformed into falmer.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they have been extinct since the early first era, the only 2 known remaining snow elves at the second era are Knight-paladin Gelebor and Arch-curate Vyrthur(wich is also a vampire).
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Snow_Elf
    Edited by tplink3r1 on 26 May 2014 18:27
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.
  • KhajiitiLizard
    KhajiitiLizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quest involving the Falmer would be interesting though. ESO's Dwemer ruins had a severe lack of them.
  • Matt.vanelsenb16_ESO
    Ur-Quan wrote: »
    Ice elves, or snow elves? I don't recall any reference to ice elves, but there were definitely snow elves - by the time of ESO they've been effectively extinct for many centuries, as their entire surviving population (aside from a couple of outliers) was transformed into falmer.

Alright, because I'm a complete lore nerd, I feel obligated to correct you. In skyrim, while playing through the dawnguard DLC, one of the snow elves you meet during the quest will, in some sort of context, tell you that the last of his kind don't like to be called falmer anymore, because most people associate that with the twisted creatures that the enslaved snow elves have turned into. This obviously implies that falmer has always been the name for snow elves, just like altmer for high elves. So they didn't "transform into falmer", they always were falmer. Nerd rant complete, you may pass.
  • adam1111cub18_ESO
    adam1111cub18_ESO
    Soul Shriven

Alright, because I'm a complete lore nerd, I feel obligated to correct you. In skyrim, while playing through the dawnguard DLC, one of the snow elves you meet during the quest will, in some sort of context, tell you that the last of his kind don't like to be called falmer anymore, because most people associate that with the twisted creatures that the enslaved snow elves have turned into. This obviously implies that falmer has always been the name for snow elves, just like altmer for high elves. So they didn't "transform into falmer", they always were falmer. Nerd rant complete, you may pass.

Alright, because I'm a complete pedant (in addition to a fanatic of Elder Scrolls lore), I'd like to point out that "falmer" (fal-mer) comes from the old Aldmeri tongue, translating to "snow-people"; hence "bosmer" (forest-people) and "orsimer" (pariah-people), referencing the corruption of Trinimac by Boethiah, thus spawning Malacath and his outcast tribe of orcs, formerly altmer.
  • Matt.vanelsenb16_ESO

Alright, because I'm a complete pedant (in addition to a fanatic of Elder Scrolls lore), I'd like to point out that "falmer" (fal-mer) comes from the old Aldmeri tongue, translating to "snow-people"; hence "bosmer" (forest-people) and "orsimer" (pariah-people), referencing the corruption of Trinimac by Boethiah, thus spawning Malacath and his outcast tribe of orcs, formerly altmer.

Thank you for providing this additional information my good sir.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Um, I wasn't talking about the name. They transformed into falmer as in they transformed into what we know of as falmer. You knew that though.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Aaklor
    Aaklor
    ✭✭✭
    are we entertaining the idea that this game has a future?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    they have been extinct since the early first era, the only 2 known remaining snow elves at the second era are Knight-paladin Gelebor and Arch-curate Vyrthur(wich is also a vampire).

Um, I check to be sure, but there is no date for when the chantry fell, and given the conversations in Skyrim, I got the idea that it was much later than this game.

So at the time of the game, the chantry is probably standing and filled with Snow-Elves.
    Um, the Chantry is huge, could and probably did support a population in the Hundreds, if not the thousands. Admittedly the Snow Elves won't be changing the outcome of the war. But they could be providing a few quests, and maybe a few items, and possible a Snow-elf Racial Motif (maybe a Falmer racial Motif recovered from them trying to help the poor Falmer too).
    Edited by AlexDougherty on 27 May 2014 09:48
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope not. we have too many elves already. i would like something else.
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Um, I check to be sure, but there is no date for when the chantry fell, and given the conversations in Skyrim, I got the idea that it was much later than this game.
    That's definitely not the impression I got. From those conversations I got the impression that the Falmer (as in the ones mutated by generations of living as slaves of the Dwemer) came to the Forgotten Vale relatively shortly after the Dwemer disappeared - maybe a few generations later (if that). Given that the Dwemer disappeared in 1E 700 and ESO takes place in 2E 582, that's a gap of about 3000 years. I really don't think the Chantry survived that long.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's definitely not the impression I got. From those conversations I got the impression that the Falmer (as in the ones mutated by generations of living as slaves of the Dwemer) came to the Forgotten Vale relatively shortly after the Dwemer disappeared - maybe a few generations later (if that). Given that the Dwemer disappeared in 1E 700 and ESO takes place in 2E 582, that's a gap of about 3000 years. I really don't think the Chantry survived that long.

Well I guess we got different impressions, I have no doubt that the Falmer were there for quite a while, but I got the impression that the Chantry survived for quite a while as well.

The problem is that we only have the conversations with Gelebor and a few snippets from his brother Vyrthur before we kill him, and neither give much in the way of details. Especially how long ago these events happened. The website says the Snow Nlf culture collapsed in the second Era, but this game is set in the second Era, so it might not have happened yet.

Oh well, all sorts of arguements and counter arguements spring to mind, guess we'll have to disagree slightly.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • DireKit
    DireKit
    ✭✭✭
    Still want Centaur as a race.

And yes, they're validly a race in the Lore. The Centaur were featured in Daggerfall, just before anyone argues "DAT DON'T EXIST IN TEH ELDAR SCRULLS!"
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well I guess we got different impressions, I have no doubt that the Falmer were there for quite a while, but I got the impression that the Chantry survived for quite a while as well.

The problem is that we only have the conversations with Gelebor and a few snippets from his brother Vyrthur before we kill him, and neither give much in the way of details. Especially how long ago these events happened. The website says the Snow Nlf culture collapsed in the second Era, but this game is set in the second Era, so it might not have happened yet.

Oh well, all sorts of arguements and counter arguements spring to mind, guess we'll have to disagree slightly.
    It says "In truth, they are probably far older as Snow Elf culture collapsed before the Second Era." Not that it matters, because one should never use TES Wiki for lore.

We don't need to determine when exactly the Chantry fell. I'm inclined to agree with Ur-Quan, but even if it survived until the Alliance War, we know it harbored only a very small, isolated population. From Gelebor: "Correct. We only numbered perhaps a hundred at a time, so our presence remained a secret to the dwarves and the Nords."

I really can't see it as a place visited by thousands upon thousands of adventurers. There could be other hidden enclaves, but they would be side quest material at best - definitely nothing that could make Falmer a playable race.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, they're not a possible future race. You *really* don't want to play Falmer, trust me. They are hideous. As far as I'm aware, there are only 2 Falmer still living who have their original forms (before they were mutated and enslaved by the Dwemer), and I think one of them is a vampire. Since the name "Falmer" has become associated with the diseased mutants that most of the race has become, the 2 living ones won't even call themselves Falmer anymore, preferring to be called "snow elves".

Read about them here. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Snow_Elf
  • Noobie
    Noobie
    ✭✭
    No, i dont think this game is going to make it that far to be honest