Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Overcharging

RockSolidWiff
RockSolidWiff
✭✭
My one continued grip, overcharging
This is forcing all the classes/races to be basically the same. Different paint, different skill effects with different names, but in the end character stats are all within a very narrow range. Very sad.
You have no ability to create, for example, a pure mage. All stats and enhancements in magicka. Can cast many spells and lots of damage but might get one shot from a nasty rat bite.
How about creating a rouge with maxed stamina that has to master dodging due to frail health.
Where's the heavy tank with boat loads of health and armor but only welding a very sharp pin.
As a sorcerer, I am always overcharged on magicka pool, not counting buffs or armor enhancements, only based on ability point selection and passives. The band is way, way, to narrow.

Why does magicka and stamina only get 10 points per level and health gets 15?

Why do I never get my 10 points (normally get 5)?

How would this unbalance the game in anyway?

This is an unnecessary complication, if piling all improvements, buffs, enhancements in one stat area, makes a very unbalanced player, then change the possible buffs and enhancements and remove the arbitrary nerf.

I would say that is my two cents worth, but that is forum overcharged, so it can only 1.1 cents worth.
I picked up the sword and raced into battle, died.
I again, raced into battle wielding the sword, died.
Once again, died.
It was only then that I considered maybe the pointed end should face out.
- Why mages should not wield swords
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    on my Mage I stacked most of my AP into magicka thinking this would give me a nice big pool but now I'm just overcharged and only have slightly more magicka than my DK on whom I spent no AP on magicka.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that factors adjustments into this though is some of the passives of classes, as well as actives. Take Sorceror's Dark Exchange for instance, an ability that is better suited to continuing to spam magicka than holding up your shield and blocking. I'm not so sure that these type of class abilities are balanced against one another, but I suspect spellweaving (or whatever it was they called it) might eventually help create that balance. I'm not really trying to counter what you're saying, just suggesting there are some things which help in the continued casting of a particular skill-path type whether It is the Magicka, Stamina, or Health path.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand why overcharging is in the game. It allows you to have multiple ways to achieve a high score in one particular area without forcing you into min/maxing for just that one score and having to balance the game around that.

That being said, I'd like to see a few more ways of raising the overcharge limit. For instance add a heavy armor skill that raises the overcharge limit so that you can actually get more benefit from heavy than you do from light. Perhaps add some new glyph recipes that raise overcharge in some areas slightly. The opportunity cost of giving up a jewelry glyph slot is certainly high enough on its own to justify such an ability.

My point is there is still design space to explore with overcharge, but I don't think the game would be nearly as balanced if it were simply removed.
  • RockSolidWiff
    RockSolidWiff
    ✭✭
    kimboh, I think your DK should have massive amounts of health late in the game and just a small pool of magicka to do a few things.

This follows the attribute design from Skyrim but has been reduced so far that it almost make no sense.
    I know, Skyrim is single player, so no other players to balance against.

In Skyrim, I also played a mage, all the way through I put every attribute point in magicka. Part of the fun and challenge was in running into combat very late in the game still with the starting 100 health.
    I picked up the sword and raced into battle, died.
    I again, raced into battle wielding the sword, died.
    Once again, died.
    It was only then that I considered maybe the pointed end should face out.
    - Why mages should not wield swords