Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Surround-sound in ESO on PC vs Skyrim on Xbox?

misterme2011
misterme2011
✭✭
When I played Skyrim on the Xbox the surround sound was amazing. Dungeons were downright spooky with all the immersive sound effects. And when I walked through towns, the townsfolk's voices would 'wrap around' to different speakers as I passed them (I have a 6.1 setup). I would hear enemies coming up from behind me.

In ESO on the PC I'm finding the surround effects to be much less impressive. Eg if I 'turn my back' on a NPC speaking in the area, the voice still seems to come from the front. When fighting enemies I don't hear enemies approaching from the rear through my rear speaker. Dungeons don't have that immersive spooky feeling. Even the music seems 'dull' though I am getting sound from all speakers and my subwoofer is active.

In both the xbox and PC case I connect sound/video through HDMI to my AV receiver. In the PC case I have a high end Nvidia card so I should be getting good sound, I think.

How does this compare to others' experience? Does anyone disagree? If so, I may need to go setting diving to see if I've got anything set up incorrectly on my PC or surround system.

• phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just swapped back to two channel sound. Did not find surround very satisfying; could be to the choppy sound issues in this game.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)