Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Tanking Hoohaa

Laranoye
Laranoye
✭✭✭
Howdy,
Ive been playing mmos a long time, and I love to tank. Currently im trying to make a NB tank I have vampirism... but should I just stop now and roll a DK who is quite clearky the better tank with aoe cc defense and not broke. I liked the initial idea of a NB on paper... but from reading tons of posts mostly just saying its a bad idea, is it even worth it and if I did and wanted to go dps it would be subpar to everything else..

So im wondering if I should cut my losses now, and run with a class that tanking works on? Or is the NB class not actually that bad and worth it in the long run.. I dont want to waste my time on something that will stay forever broken or take forever to fix lol.

Cheers. :)
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    every build of the month will be great till the next class fix/nerf. go with the class that gives you the most pleasure playing to last thru all the glitches and bugs and nerfs that may come in the future
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been playing nbs since release, played all other during beta and must say, even with all the broken skills, Nb definitely the most fun.
    The broken stuff will get fixed, its not a question of ever, its just when, but it WILL get fixed, making NB even more fun to play when they do get a fix.
    But preferences differ of course.
    Its not the first game where the "rogue class" turns out to be the most versatile and not using it because of a few broken skills is not a reason not to try it out.
    Its easy to work around as none of the broken stuff is a must have, well not for my builds, heals or DPS, both get the job done.
    if i recall, there was an interview with someone who made an NB tank, and according to him its working fine.

link to interview
    Edited by Bhakura on 24 May 2014 15:52
  • Laranoye
    Laranoye
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bhakura
  • RivenCsky
    RivenCsky
    ✭✭
    I would have to say that the DK is far superior for tanking. Players I know from the latest patch were saying that they were upset that now without their ultimate up they cannot take more then 8 NPCs on at a time. Templars and NB have no chance to compete with Sorc and DK. Basic tier is
    1. DK
    2. Sorc
    3. Nightblade
    4. Templar
  • Monkeyshoeslive
    Monkeyshoeslive
    ✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »
    every build of the month will be great till the next class fix/nerf. go with the class that gives you the most pleasure playing to last thru all the glitches and bugs and nerfs that may come in the future

I wish there was a super dooper mega agree button.
  • Laranoye
    Laranoye
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so DK is the way to go then if id like to tank long term? :) also on what planet could a mage archtype be a far superior tank to a siphoning roguish type lol its bonkers thwy should at leadt be on par!
    Edited by Laranoye on 25 May 2014 18:26
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some noteable NB tank builds out there. Don't forget Armor and Weapon choices count too.

Long run their goal is to have every class be viable in roles (dependent on other skills and weapons etc.)

it may be tough until some skills/ morphs and passives are fixed, but i have played with several vet5+ NB tanks that did just fine.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody likes NB anymore and all because of a few broken skills that are not even mandatory to make a decent build. Shame.
  • RivenCsky
    RivenCsky
    ✭✭
    Yes pretty much AoE builds are Sorc and DK. But for tanking overall the DK has more abilities geared for close combat.
  • SeinSchatten
    SeinSchatten
    ✭✭
    I read "taking skooma"
    Lol
  • Urza
    Urza
    Pets are oddly good for a sorc tank, also they have several armor skills and health boosters.

DK does seem better overall, but this being the first game I could be a plate wearing caster tank with pets I went that route to start. Always had caster aggro in other games and cloth tanking was fun till you go splat.
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB tanks are only useful for tanking single mob, the class however utterly lacks any real AOE abilitys that actually can be useful, they do have some stackable HOT abilitys, the best going for NB tank being siphoning strikes tho, which can restore MP, SP, and after a morph HP (which only restores 1/2 what is listed). Shadow Cloak can be used with a passive for a very short lived armor bonus but other than that there is nothing beyond blocking to help with defense.

Templar can Self Heal strongly and Aoe strongly and have one ability that allows them to restore HP and SP without spending MP if there are dead bodies around. this lets them pretty well block forever against groups while spamming AOE, or save MP for burst self healing vs bosses.

Sorcerer's pets are serious buisness when used right, one can take as much damage as even the most well built tank character and the other can heal you to full if you drop below a certain amount every minute or so. they also have AOE Crowd Control in the forum of encase. Bound armor and its Agies morph lets a sorcerer trade 10% of their MP for enough Armor to overcharge even if they use light armor as their primary armor type, with this being a endless boost that is just toggled off/on. Lightning ward and Conjured ward are enough Spell resist+armor to cap both and A damage shield respectively.

Dragon Knight, Has SEVERAL duration based buffs for Armor, spell resist, spell reflect as well as a powerful self heal (that can be morphed for a capping defense bonus or a stam regen boost) it also has Dark Talons, which are a powerfully damaging+root ability centered around the DK, finally a passive skill that restores HP/MP/SP when you cast a ultimate based on its cost, and the best tanking ultimate in the game, which caps all incoming damage to 3% of your max hp (Insanely powerful vs high damaging bosses but utterly useless vs mob swarms who dont do more than that per hit anyways)

overall, i would say that DK is the best tank, followed by a tie of Sorc and Templar

with sadly NB coming in last for its utter lack of CC and self protection when compaired to the alternatives.

NB is a very good spell caster tho, and can be setup in ways that would make other spellcasting builds cry.

oddly weak in the melee sense.... becoming mostly reliant on non class skills there....

I play every class in every situation. I love them all.