Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Did You Fire All Your QA Testers ZOS?

tordr86b16_ESO
tordr86b16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been checking threads to see how the new patch faired (still downloading), and it seems you've screwed up more than actually fixed. So I'll ask: Where is your QA team? Did you boot them? If this is the case then I would ask players to boycott the PTS server until ZOS get more QA testers because people are sick of testing your extended beta.
Edited by tordr86b16_ESO on 23 May 2014 13:16
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    I've been checking threads to see how the new patch faired (still downloading), and it seems you've screwed up more than actually fixed. So I'll ask: Where is your QA team? Did you boot them? If this is the case then I would ask players to boycott the PTS server until ZOS get more QA testers because people are sick of testing your extended beta.

Two months into the launch and this is a surprise? They seemingly get a lot wrong.
    One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing to add. Shame on the guilds simply joining the PTS to only get a headstart on the trial content, I'm sure a lot of bugs were crushed by your amazing effort.
  • stefaan.de.wasch1b16_ESO
    Atleast try it for yourself before forming an opinion.... going off "what the threads say" is not to way to go man... seriously...

If, for example, alot of critics call a movie awful, you might actualy end up utterly enjoying it and not get what the critics were on about
    The statement "if you put enough monkeys behind enough typewriters... sooner or later one will produce the works of Shakespeare" has sadly been proven utterly wrong by the internet...
  • esoone
    esoone
    ✭✭✭
    There testers are AMAZING. They found the duping bug with gold bank, the duping bug with hirling mails the fishing of legenry items instead of fish and are all now filthy loaded on crafting mats and cash so they must be great.
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atleast try it for yourself before forming an opinion.... going off "what the threads say" is not to way to go man... seriously...

If, for example, alot of critics call a movie awful, you might actualy end up utterly enjoying it and not get what the critics were on about

I've played the game to VR10, been following the complains on this forum since release and have come to the conclusion that they seem to think that relying on a few PTS testers is a good thing - it is not, it's going to end badly for them if they keep this up.
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    esoone wrote: »
    There testers are AMAZING. They found the duping bug with gold bank, the duping bug with hirling mails the fishing of legenry items instead of fish and are all now filthy loaded on crafting mats and cash so they must be great.

Been reported since the beta, and they still managed NOT fix it before release. Amazing huh?
    Edited by tordr86b16_ESO on 23 May 2014 13:34
  • MrBeatDown
    MrBeatDown
    ✭✭✭✭

It was a gift to them. They even got to design the character builds that work with the new patch.
  • Gedwyn
    Gedwyn
    Soul Shriven

Been reported since the beta, and they still managed NOT fix it before release. Amazing huh?

Missed the sarcasm there did ya? :)

It's not just QA - it starts at the top with the lead game designer or producer or project manager - whoever is responsible for defining the severity level for bugs. The duping bugs found in closed beta weren't unknown - they either a) put them into a low priority queue for fixing or b) couldn't figure out a fix quickly enough and had to put more time into it. Seeing as how they were cruising towards a released to the public launch date, my money would be on A.

QA is a problem though, just judging from yesterday's patch. They certainly aren't doing much regression testing, or they would have found the VR mob difficulty issue quite quickly. You probably can't do a full regression every patch for every quest etc, which is why some of the bugs slip through. That's an accepted fact for software development.

However, it would literally take someone minutes to either go into the game environment and verify mob hit points or just check the mob database and see that a VR 8 mob should have X amount of health. Obviously that wasn't done.

As for the more - to me personally - annoying bug with the escape key and several other issues (wayshrines and skill points being disabled) that pops up anywhere from 15 mins after a log in - if that's part of the client/server combo than it should have been caught - but if it's due to an add on then that's really out of their control. Hopefully they have the time and resources to figure it out.

I'm hoping they get their *** together, but judging from some of their development decisions and the lack of communication when issues come up, I'm not holding my breath.

Would love to know how many subs cancel over the next week or so as Zenimax torpedoes themselves once again.
    ~ Ged | Lords of the Dead | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Gedwyn wrote: »

Missed the sarcasm there did ya? :)

It's not just QA - it starts at the top with the lead game designer or producer or project manager - whoever is responsible for defining the severity level for bugs. The duping bugs found in closed beta weren't unknown - they either a) put them into a low priority queue for fixing or b) couldn't figure out a fix quickly enough and had to put more time into it. Seeing as how they were cruising towards a released to the public launch date, my money would be on A.

QA is a problem though, just judging from yesterday's patch. They certainly aren't doing much regression testing, or they would have found the VR mob difficulty issue quite quickly. You probably can't do a full regression every patch for every quest etc, which is why some of the bugs slip through. That's an accepted fact for software development.

However, it would literally take someone minutes to either go into the game environment and verify mob hit points or just check the mob database and see that a VR 8 mob should have X amount of health. Obviously that wasn't done.

As for the more - to me personally - annoying bug with the escape key and several other issues (wayshrines and skill points being disabled) that pops up anywhere from 15 mins after a log in - if that's part of the client/server combo than it should have been caught - but if it's due to an add on then that's really out of their control. Hopefully they have the time and resources to figure it out.

I'm hoping they get their *** together, but judging from some of their development decisions and the lack of communication when issues come up, I'm not holding my breath.

Would love to know how many subs cancel over the next week or so as Zenimax torpedoes themselves once again.

Canceled 2 accounts here.....
    One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing to add. Shame on the guilds simply joining the PTS to only get a headstart on the trial content, I'm sure a lot of bugs were crushed by your amazing effort.

A lot of bugs were found, reported and fixed in Trials and Craglorn. They also made some pretty big difficulty changes based on feedback and observing Trial runs and metrics from them.

The PTS testers are players too - we split our time between PTS and playing our real characters on Live. I spent most/all of my time on the PTS testing Craglorn related stuff, because that was the main part of the update.

One last thing to consider is compare the 1.1.2 notes to the 1.1 and 1.1.1 notes - there are a bunch of changes in the 1.1.2 patch that went on live that we never saw on PTS. We can't test them if they aren't there.

I'm going to be relieved when they wipe the PTS and open up testing of future content updates to anyone with a subscription, at least then maybe we'll stop hearing complaint about how we didn't test well enough or should be ashamed.

Eh, probably not.

Also - I had to lol a little that you're complaining about testers when you didn't even log in to "test" how good the patch is yourself, you just regurgitated other people's complaints.
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As silly as it sounds, its almost like this company is trying to drive customers away. I can't fathom how half the changes in this patch made it live.
  • Scratchmybutt

Seriously, is this all you do?
    I have been reading a lot on the forum today and i see you pop up everywhere!

I usually don't do this...
    Fanboy much?

• steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As silly as it sounds, its almost like this company is trying to drive customers away. I can't fathom how half the changes in this patch made it live.

They are certainly not giving a very good impression. They just seem to be flailing around now and just panic changing stuff without any real idea what the results will be.

I've beta tested before and it's shocking how long reported and quite serious bugs make it live.
  • Noobie
    Noobie
    ✭✭
    you PTS people have done a crappy job, thanks to you trying to find exploits in craglorn, and the shorts cuts to it you basically ruined this game. I blame ZoS as well but hard to know if they were informed of the increase of Health of VR mobs the delays in skill use. If Zos wants to save this game they need to Open the PTS to everyone and have a dedicated forums to fixing things in it.
  • esoone
    esoone
    ✭✭✭
    Mystborn wrote: »

A lot of bugs were found, reported and fixed in Trials and Craglorn. They also made some pretty big difficulty changes based on feedback and observing Trial runs and metrics from them.

The PTS testers are players too - we split our time between PTS and playing our real characters on Live. I spent most/all of my time on the PTS testing Craglorn related stuff, because that was the main part of the update.

One last thing to consider is compare the 1.1.2 notes to the 1.1 and 1.1.1 notes - there are a bunch of changes in the 1.1.2 patch that went on live that we never saw on PTS. We can't test them if they aren't there.

I'm going to be relieved when they wipe the PTS and open up testing of future content updates to anyone with a subscription, at least then maybe we'll stop hearing complaint about how we didn't test well enough or should be ashamed.

Eh, probably not.

Also - I had to lol a little that you're complaining about testers when you didn't even log in to "test" how good the patch is yourself, you just regurgitated other people's complaints.

Your right more folks need to test the constant crashing between being dead.
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    They should of asked Namira testers to help out.
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭
    Noobie wrote: »
    you PTS people have done a crappy job, thanks to you trying to find exploits in craglorn, and the shorts cuts to it you basically ruined this game. I blame ZoS as well but hard to know if they were informed of the increase of Health of VR mobs the delays in skill use. If Zos wants to save this game they need to Open the PTS to everyone and have a dedicated forums to fixing things in it.

I did not experiencing any delays in my skill use on PTS, and I haven't experienced any delays on Live.

I never saw a VR mob on PTS with what appeared to be an incorrect Health value, I also haven't seen that occur on Live.

Yes, I admit it, I *DID* try to find exploits in Craglorn, are you happy now? And you know what I *DID* find exploits, multiple of them actually, how does that make you feel? Oh yeah, one more thing - they were reported and ZoS fixed them so no one will get to use them on Live muahahaha!

[Moderator Edit: Content removed per our rules on flaming]

Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 23 May 2014 15:36
  • twistedmonk
    twistedmonk
    ✭✭✭
    You are assuming the testers didn't find and report the bugs and the development team and managers just ignored them and released it anyway.
  • tino.antoninieb17_ESO
    I am not on PTS. I dont intend to be tester officially coz i feel i am already.
    I would like to get idea how u concluded that PTS testers did bad job ?
    Just go through these forums and u will see lots of complaints, reports , demands to repair game not addressed at all . ZOS is not responding accordingly - that is pattern.
    Imagine how huge potential this game had - considering all mentioned is still live and we are here.
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO! This is ZOS, where beta testers pay YOU!
  • McDoogs
    McDoogs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whoa whoa whoa slow down a second...

What makes you think they ever had QA?
  • MrBeatDown
    MrBeatDown
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noobie wrote: »

Blizzard entertainment did something like that for d3. It worked for finding most bugs, but the end result was, the development team still lied to the players about new upcoming features to the game. Then they nerfed it and doubled the nerf again. Drove a couple hundred thousand players away from the game. It got such good sales because it sold off of diablo 2's Name. Anyways, end game result was players still quit the game in droves.
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    QA is going on right now. We are paying $60 / $15mo to QA the game for the console players. We ARE the QA department!
  • xramirez535b14_ESO
    Lot of things slipping through the cracks. Seems ZoS are just trying to see what they can get away with in a short amount of time. Instead of delaying their cash-cows they'd rather release them haphazardly with only the few tweaks/fixes they could slip in with promises to go back and correct them later. This is how beta was and why phasing is still an issue in PvE questing... BUT they were able to add enemy collision just in time for launch yay!!! They're listening! Right guys?!
    Edited by xramirez535b14_ESO on 23 May 2014 15:28