Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is Septima Tharn supposed to have a double?

monsieurtofu
So having some trouble with this fight I looked the fight up on youtube. I'm playing a nb with siphon/ assassination and the video is a bow sorcerer mostly using class abilities but those aren't the key differences. The fight for me goes:
1. Stun Septima with Surprise attack.
2. There are now 2 Septimas that I'm fighting and they have independent health pools.
3. I manage to dodge around, cloak and interrupt until one or both are around 60-70% health.
4. One of the Septimas disappears (at first it seemed to always be whichever is at lower health but on subsequent attempts I found this wasn't consistent) and the remaining one calls a bunch of undead.
5. I try to dps down the one Septima left while the soldiers slowly march toward me and generally have her down around 25-30% before I have to deal with the undead.
6. I eventually end up dead due to being swamped by undead or getting killed by Septima's fury spam. She is still attacking while the undead mob me.

I've killed all of the undead in at least one attempt only to be zapped by Septima as I didn't have much health or resources left at that point. In another, all of the undead vanish I'm left fighting a full health Septima that I get to 0% but she won't die and then I just give up and leave.
I'm sure at least some of this is bugged.
Anyway, the fight on youtube that I watched is completely different- no double, no fighting Septima and the army at the same time, and it's vr10 while I am at vr5. Possible spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flgrTwIaLzs
Edited by monsieurtofu on 23 May 2014 05:38
  • WhimsyDragon
    WhimsyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm well VR5 vs VR10 probably has to do with your faction vs the youtube person's faction. I did it on my main faction so it was not veteran content at all, but still incredibly challenging! No double Septimas and fighting her and the army was separate. The army came first, then her.
  • medieval_TOG
    medieval_TOG
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to do the "To Walk on a far shore" quest and am at Defeat Septima Tharn, but all I get is her and nothing else. At the start there was a double, but that disappeared and I saw no armies, etc - just her bouncing from square to square.

I could get her to 0% hp and she still keeps throwing fireballs and doing aoe. She doesn't die and only slowly goes up in HP if you move away and drop out of combat.

Numerous restarts, etc and still no result so I gather it's definitely bugged with the new patch.

Tried logging a bug but it appears that the bug logging system is also bugged *LOL*.

Poor old confused ZoS, patches are supposed to "fix" things, not "break" things.
    Oh so you play on a console? Well this is a console game after-all I suppose.
  • Ecian
    Ecian
    I tried this last night as well. Double Septimas. Both clipping through one another. This was not how it was just a couple of days before as I was stuck on the undead army and was just waiting to come back later.
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    I started a post on this in the General discussion. I'm currently stuck on the VR5 version of this. The doubles burn me down ridiculously fast. Heck, I'd prefer the adds version to this.

Given their history of fixing stuff, I guess I shouldn't plan on making it to VR6 content any time soon.
  • Damien_Uvirith
    Having this exact same issue as well... EP VR5 Sorc, trying to defeat her to move onto the VR6 zone as I'm sure everyone else is.

I've tried beating her countless times, I've gotten her health to 0 only to have her continue to attack. I've had her 'double' NOT appear but then she just sits there. I've had the ghost army attack me, and randomly disappear.

Going to try and keep a happy thought and hope it's fixed during the next maintenance. Though I won't hold my breathe.
    Edited by Damien_Uvirith on 24 May 2014 01:12
  • Mutey
    Mutey
    ✭✭
    I am having this problem too. My friend and I have quested together all the way to VR10 and this is our last quest chain. But even with two of us, we can't seem to beat this. I can't heal through it and if I go dps we can't do enough dps fast enough to stop two undead armies from spawning.

How annoying :/
  • rh0ne
    rh0ne
    Soul Shriven
    Just had same bug here, non-VR though. She duplicated almost immediately and then from that point on I had to fight both. I tried re-logging, no help.

So rage rage rage and I got one down to basically no health bar, but she just would not die (immortal), regardless of damage and was not triggering the adds either.

So I went to work on the other one which eventually, after the two waves of adds, finally did actually die and trigger the quest ending... all the while, the other [immortal] one was still attacking and teleporting around.

I was so sure the immortal one was going to smoke me as I was trying to spam through the dialogs to get teleported out, but I got lucky.

Nice bug.
  • Onin
    Onin
    Same problem here.

I did the quest some days ago (before patch), but was a lil to waek against the undead, so decided to level up a bit. Back now (after patch), and now there are two Septima Tharn and zero undead :(
  • Moltier
    Moltier
    ✭✭
    I have managed to kill her while this bug happened (after a couple deaths, and no veteran :P ).
    At one point, i saw 3 of her. It was quite shocking. ;)

What i noticed is, only the original Septima can be killed. And even when she dies the clone(s) remain, so talking to the npc next to her can be a problem.

So untill a fix, if you dont know which one is the real, run away, wait till only 1 remains (it was reseting back after a min or 2 for me). If this isnt working, die so it might reset that way, or use the pillars for cover.
    Summons can help as well.
  • beefers96
    beefers96
    The Septima clones are a bug. There should only be one at a time and until they patch it correctly, it seems just like the luck of draw on if she properly zones out or clones. It happened to me once. I dropped the quest and got booted back to the entrance. It was a simple matter to retake the quest and it worked fine on the second try.

For the fight itself... as a bow NB myself, I found that swimming off the island to the right was a lifesaver. Burn down Septima, swim to the east when the undead spawn. It won't reset the instance, but they'll aggro in small groups and give you time to whittle them down as they run around to get to you. Rinse and repeat.