Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ESO suddenly destroying my computer after update.

Elyna
Elyna
✭✭✭✭
After the update the game has been acting very dodgy. When it first loaded up, my pc had "Elder scrolls online" in giant letters, flickered, then went to the game. Just now the game made my PC black out when I alt tabbed while it was loading. Anyone else getting this? And again, this is AFTER the update, you know, before the time this Craglorn thing was added.
Edited by Elyna on 22 May 2014 23:18
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like an issue with the new fullscreen features. Have you checked to make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date? Also, you really want to post this in the Support forum next time.
    ----
    Murray?
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    patch just finished downloading. Had the elder scrolls online in giant letters too. Screen also blacks out when alt tabbing although its only for a couple of seconds.
    I quit & restarted twice more to try & get a screenshot & things are back to normal lol - go figure.
    Edited by phairdon on 22 May 2014 23:28
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phairdon wrote: »
    patch just finished downloading. Had the elder scrolls online in giant letters too. Screen also blacks out when alt tabbing although its only for a couple of seconds.

That's normal now that the game is truly fullscreen.
    ----
    Murray?
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's all good; problem fixed itself not that it was a major issue at all.

Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭

Before the game "ran" in the background allowing me to quickly alt tab in and out of the game. I dont know if a setting or something changed or what.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elyna wrote: »

Before the game "ran" in the background allowing me to quickly alt tab in and out of the game. I dont know if a setting or something changed or what.

Yes, a setting changed. As mentioned previously, the game is now truly fullscreen. You can change your settings to make it "windowed" fullscreen in the graphics settings menu if you prefer that.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, a setting changed. As mentioned previously, the game is now truly fullscreen. You can change your settings to make it "windowed" fullscreen in the graphics settings menu if you prefer that.
    Is there a difference between the 2?
  • rbenkepub19_ESO
    rbenkepub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7 asked me if I wanted to switch to a simpler color scheme because my computer was acting sluggish. I didn't even know that message existed until today.
  • Carnage2K4
    Carnage2K4
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes... massive difference...
    Human Infant Connoisseur
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. Windowed fullscreen lets you more easily use other programs at the same time as you play the game - especially if you've got 2+ monitors. True fullscreen gives you better performance. Now that we've got the option between the 2, I'll keep using windowed fullscreen on my desktop (where I can use it on ultra-high settings with no performance issues), while I'll use true fullscreen on my laptop (where I use medium settings).
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    So where is the destruction of the PC again? Flames, smoke, screws falling out etc?
  • kurrinni
    kurrinni
    Soul Shriven
    why are they doing all this shet now
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kurrinni wrote: »
    why are they doing all this shet now

Because most people wanted a true fullscreen mode?
    ----
    Murray?
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ur-Quan wrote: »

Yup. Windowed fullscreen lets you more easily use other programs at the same time as you play the game - especially if you've got 2+ monitors. True fullscreen gives you better performance. Now that we've got the option between the 2, I'll keep using windowed fullscreen on my desktop (where I can use it on ultra-high settings with no performance issues), while I'll use true fullscreen on my laptop (where I use medium settings).

This, sort of. I now use windowed fullscreen when sorting out my research so that I can easily click between the game and a spreadsheet on my 2nd monitor, then switch to proper fullscreen when I am out in the world questing and fighting.

Fortunately it is very simple to change between them, and the game does not require you to exit and restart to apply the changes, so I'm very happy with it.

Edited by Epona222 on 23 May 2014 00:22
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • jzholloway
    jzholloway
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7 asked me if I wanted to switch to a simpler color scheme because my computer was acting sluggish. I didn't even know that message existed until today.

Same here, same problem
    PC/NA
  • jzholloway
    jzholloway
    ✭✭✭
    anyone have any luck?
    PC/NA
  • FrauPerchta
    FrauPerchta
    ✭✭✭
    Got the huge print as well
  • DreRen
    DreRen
    Soul Shriven
    mine was working fine for an hour after the upgrade then I entered a dungeon and it crashed. all subsequent loads produced just a black screen and I couldn't do anything but restart my computer.
    I went into my Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live folder and edited the usersettings file.

There is a line SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "2"
    that I set to
    SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "0"

This allowed the game to load again and my back in. I fething hate full screen mode anyway.
  • Nukeyak
    Nukeyak
    ✭✭
    The game has crashed four times since the patch taking my computer along with it, having to turn it off and restart each time. I switched back to the windowed version as I can minimize the program and get out of the crashed game without turning the computer off and on. I'd prefer to play in regular full screen as the graphics are a bit better, however, if anyone knows how I can avoid an entire computer crash in regular full screen--I try control, alt, delete etc but nothing works.
  • WhimsyDragon
    WhimsyDragon
    ✭✭✭
    Having a variety of issues here as well:
    • Extreme lag (though hoping this is only b/c of everyone patching)
    • Crashing at loading screens (has been an on/off problem in general)
    • Computer crashed completely and terribly at a loading screen for new character entering world
    • Problems handling the new default full screen mode--lots of latency, switched to windowed full
    • Minor issues like settings being reset in game, chat tabs losing titles, etc
    • Logging in from unknown IP code required message despite using same computer as always
    The one that scares me the most is computer crashes. This definitely can't keep happening :frowning: I did file a game /bug
    Edited by WhimsyDragon on 23 May 2014 03:56
  • CorporalCrimson
    CorporalCrimson
    Soul Shriven
    I got the same issue. The resolution changed, making my settings menu unselectable. I also experienced music that cut in and out during load up.
  • RagePlug
    RagePlug
    ✭✭
    Never knew a game can DESTROY a computer. *** i must uninstall them all!
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that some people were getting by on lower end equipment and now that the game is actually fullscreen your equipment can't handle the same setting it did before. I know my graphics card is working harder than it used to.

I would try lowering the graphics, maybe turn off grass and bloom and see how it works. You may want to put it back in to Windowed mode.

There were a couple times the game crashed for a minute or two but I honeslty had less lag and was playing more smoothly than before the launch.

With the game being in fullscreen mode it is moving a lot of the processing from you CPU to graphics cards if you don't have one able to handle it you are going feel it.
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    kitsinni wrote: »
    I think that some people were getting by on lower end equipment and now that the game is actually fullscreen your equipment can't handle the same setting it did before.

I would have thought real full screen would have less of a stress on a computer, not more. If it doesnt make it easier on the graphics card then what is the advantage to it?

• kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kitsinni wrote: »
    I think that some people were getting by on lower end equipment and now that the game is actually fullscreen your equipment can't handle the same setting it did before.

I would have thought real full screen would have less of a stress on a computer, not more. If it doesnt make it easier on the graphics card then what is the advantage to it?

It allows for a better overall experience for those with good graphics cards. It also allows for crossfire/SLI support. It isn't about stress on the computer, it is about where that stress is exaclty. A lot of people have stronger processors than graphics cards so settings that put more of the work on the processor works better for those setups. My graphics card is not new at all and the game looks and plays much better than it did before the update for me.