Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Dark Talons & Inhale killed for PvE in effort to balance PvP

Sadae
Sadae
✭✭✭
Dark Talons: Reduced the overall radius.

Inhale (and morphs): This ability’s initial life drain morphs can now hit a maximum of three targets. This also applies to Inhale’s morphs.
This is just WRONG!

Dark Talons is a mandatory crowd control skill for group dungeons, and you just killed that.

Inhale was already hard to justify using in PvE, and now it's not an option at all.

If you want to balance PvP, please find a way to do so without killing PvE.
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    The classic problem of balancing every MMO that has both forms of play style. It's never right for somebody. The only time balance is correct for both, is when both type of players are unhappy.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should've decreased the cost for dodge roll instead.

It's basically useless if you don't have medium armour or are a complete magicka build.

It costs my tank so much stamina I rather take the CC effect.
  • Infraction
    Infraction
    ✭✭✭
    Does this affect their ability to solo veteran dungeons?
    Edited by Infraction on 22 May 2014 19:55
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So your logic is ... one class should have a OP must have skill , in order for people to do dungeons?

If ONE skill like talons is a MUST for dungeons , then it past the time zen also look into those fights.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be a nightmare to pve with a DK now.
    Trolololol...
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inhale never was strong in PvP either though (the only thing was no AoE cap).

It would have been enough with the 6 cap. But they nerfed it so the expensive and uneffective Inhale now belongs in the garbage.
    Edited by monkeymystic on 22 May 2014 19:58
  • Demli
    Demli
    I never even unlocked dark talons on my DK... never had an issue without it.
  • Sadae
    Sadae
    ✭✭✭
    So your logic is ... one class should have a OP must have skill , in order for people to do dungeons?

If ONE skill like talons is a MUST for dungeons , then it past the time zen also look into those fights.
    Well then by your logic the sorc's best AoE spell needs to be nerfed, as well as every healer's best heal spell. Please, respond with an opinion that has valid meaning or not at all.
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The classic problem of balancing every MMO that has both forms of play style. It's never right for somebody. The only time balance is correct for both, is when both type of players are unhappy.

ArcheAge has done it without impairing PvE, ZOS are just lazy or don't have the time it takes to do it right.

• tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demli wrote: »
    I never even unlocked dark talons on my DK... never had an issue without it.

It's mandatory for group play (dungeons), as there isn't any aoe taunt in this game.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadae wrote: »

Well then by your logic the sorc's best AoE spell needs to be nerfed, as well as every healer's best heal spell. Please, respond with an opinion that has valid meaning or not at all.

They are not a MUST , do please note which sorc AoE dmg spells are a MUST in order for you do to dungeons.

IF any of those are really a MUST , then yeah , they should be looking into and make sure the game does not REQUIRE them in order for you to win by giving other options.

NO single spell should be a MUST , even more a class spell which makes a class a requirement to beat said dungeons.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    I hear Volcanic Rune is nice.

I've been waiting so long to say that to a DK but, sadly, now's not a good time. Talons is still crazy OP. Get over it.
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Sorcerors should shake now when they see how much shortsighted stuff they can do to an ability like Inhale...

Sorcerors are the FOTM class now you know (it was OP before too, but still)..

Since they nerfed the subpar Inhale into useless, they prolly gonna nerf Sorceror pets next up lol
    Edited by monkeymystic on 22 May 2014 20:13
  • Liquid_Time
    Liquid_Time
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nox_Aeterna
    Well Said ^^
    Edited by Liquid_Time on 22 May 2014 20:12
    ¸.•¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`
    Liquid_Time'*-.¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-••¤
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
       IGN: Liquid Past || Rank: V14 || Class: Nightblade || World Skill: Vampire
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  • Sadae
    Sadae
    ✭✭✭
    @Nox_Aeterna - Taunt is a MUST for every tank too. Should they nerf that too then? Your argument is still invalid. Dark Talons is a DK's only measure of AoE crowd control, we don't HAVE other options.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nox_Aeterna - Taunt is a MUST for every tank too. Should they nerf that too then? Your argument is still invalid. Dark Talons is a DK's only measure of AoE crowd control, we don't HAVE other options.

Indeed , and they should give more OPTIONS for you to TAUNT , not make it less important, still , taunt is not that much of a problem because any tank can get it. You need heals to heal , Dmg skill to dps and tank skills to tank.

Nope , use vulcanic rune , which makes this whole point hilarious because DKs have been telling others to just use it for weeks now.

My point stands , no single skill should be a must , if it is , then they should look into the fights or rework the classes.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on 22 May 2014 20:32
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Sadae
    Sadae
    ✭✭✭
    taunt is not that much of a problem because any tank can get it. You need heals to heal , Dmg skill to dps
    Any healer can get heals, and any DPS can get dmg skills; same argument. Why do you insist on singling out the DK skills as somehow unique?
  • Sheneria
    Sheneria
    ✭✭✭
    Learn to Play.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taunt is not that much of a problem because any tank can get it. You need heals to heal , Dmg skill to dps
    Any healer can get heals, and any DPS can get dmg skills; same argument. Why do you insist on singling out the DK skills as somehow unique?

Well you said it:
    Dark Talons is a mandatory crowd control skill for group dungeons, and you just killed that.

If it is , time to change that.

If DK skills are not unique and you accept the vulcanic rune , why are you complaining and saying it is a must?
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Sadae
    Sadae
    ✭✭✭
    Sheneria wrote: »
    Learn to Play.
    Oh, of course! Why didn't I think of that? You just single-handedly invalidated my entire argument! Thank you!
  • Sadae
    Sadae
    ✭✭✭

Well you said it:

If it is , time to change that.

If DK skills are not unique and you accept the vulcanic rune , why are you complaining and saying it is a must?
    So you're saying that now "Volcanic Rune" just became the must-have AoE CC skill. Guess that needs to be nerfed too then according to your logic.

But then again, if you're just saying that we have another option and that "Dark Talons" isn't in fact "must have", then your logic fails yet again.

No matter how you try to spin it, you are singling out DK skills without any logic that doesn't also apply to other class skills.
  • Napkins
    Napkins

What!?!? How dare dks have a reliable ability CC that no other class can get.

How dare they, this throws off any balance this game has!!! NERF!!!

• niocwy
    niocwy
    ✭✭✭
    Talons is in NO WAY mandatory. And seriously the skill is still very valuable after the patch. Same with inhale.

"OMG it's killing PVE" *whine whine whine*

Stop complaining and learn to play with the new rules.
    Edited by niocwy on 22 May 2014 21:23
    Look at my profile picture. Visualize that muffin...smelling it...taking a bite...
    Are you hungry now ?
    Good.
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, this is a classic problem of devs kneejerk reactions to a video they saw or a bunch of spammed whine threads. Inhale was mediocre at best before the nerf, and they didn't even bother reducing the cost, just slapped a stupid nerf on it without much thought and now the skill is pretty much completely useless. Crap like this is what really turns me off to pvp "balancing".

• Sadae
    Sadae
    ✭✭✭
    niocwy wrote: »
    Talons is in NO WAY mandatory. And seriously the skill is still very valuable after the patch.
    If they reduced a sorc's best AoE damage skill by 25% simply because it was overpowered in PvP would you say the same thing?
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talons is in NO WAY mandatory. And seriously the skill is still very valuable after the patch. Same with inhale.

In what way is Inhale valuable now? It still costs the same metric crapton of magicka it cost before, only now it hits a measly three targets for crap damage and crap heal. Seriously?
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question can't focus on what players who were comfortable using the mechanic before must do now. It has to focus on what players who are new to the mechanic now can do.

The reason for this is simple: if a player relies on vampire ultimate stacking bats aoe, or DK talon spam and ultimate generation, or stam stacking bash spam ... they are obviously going to be completely crippled by these changes. No more VR dungeons for them.

If a player didn't rely on those skills, maybe using them lightly, or just not to optimal effect ... they won't be put off near as much. They'll still be in VR dungeon groups running VR dungeon runs, just fine.

The real positive impact is for EVERYONE else. We're not just talking about the player opponents in PvP you are playing with. We're also talking about the players who you PvE with, who can't possibly keep up with your damage output no matter what they do, without them being forced to either roll DK, pick up sword and board, and/or become a vampire.

In these cases, I fully support the suffering of the few (who experience has shown will simply migrate to the next FotM mechanic in two weeks instead of adjusting their playstyle to be less 'glitch' dependent), for the enjoyment and fairness of the many.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In what way is Inhale valuable now? It still costs the same metric crapton of magicka it cost before, only now it hits a measly three targets for crap damage and crap heal. Seriously?

It has the same value as Snipe or Arrow Spray for archers. Which is honestly 'why waste the resources when there are better options'. Problem is, every class has about a handful or more of those abilities, Nightblades and Templars more than most.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • kosten07
    kosten07
    • Nerfing PvE abilities for PvP ruins the game for players that enjoy PvE over PvP

I say this as a PvE player that enjoys PvP but mostly focuses on PvE. When changes like this come out and my ability to play the way I've enjoyed in PvE is changed because of PvP, it is very frustrating.

Instead of nerfing they should be looking a buffing the other abilities in all classes to make them useful in both PvE and PvP.

Also, seriously the fire effects were amazing in Destruction and I often commented to my friends about how great it looks. The "new" fire effect for Wall of Elements (morphed into Elemental Blockade) look terrible. Just some poorly designed cracks in the ground.

I don't get these types of comments from players. Don't you think we should be giving input back to Zenimax on what we like since its our money we are spending. Besides developers need to be taken to task and pressured to deliver what we want.

• Sadae
    Sadae
    ✭✭✭
    @ruze84b14_ESO - I would agree except for the most important thing: These two skills were fine for PvE the way they were, and not overpowered at all. (In fact, Inhale was still mostly useless even before the nerf.) Making PvE abilities suffer in an effort to balance PvP is not a valid solution. Besides, isn't Talons maxed at 6 targets now? (Assuming it wasn't before, I've never actually tested that myself.) Why the need to reduce the radius as well?