Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

FOV hack broken with patch, ugh.

ramasurinenpreub18_ESO
Love all the new improvements and fixes ZoS, but now that you've broken the only *approved* FoV hack with the latest patch (and the unapproved one too), and STILL have not added your own FoV slider... which was promised way back during beta by the way... the game is now completely unplayable again for me.

That is unless I feel like throwing up every twenty minutes of course.

Thanks very much for that.

• Munku
    Munku
    ✭✭✭
    Bye
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Munku wrote: »
    Bye

That's an awful attitude to take. S/he is right, zenimax in 2014, should have a FoV slider in there. I mean its not something that would take their brainiest coder to add in as the number will already be variable so all they have to do is add in a - and + on that variable, the menu system already has variable sliders so they wouldn't even have to code that!

I don't suffer with motion sickness but my son does. Perhaps you should Google the word empathy or do you just like Forum PvP?
    Edited by Loxy37 on 22 May 2014 19:44
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loxy37 wrote: »
    Bye

That's an awful attitude to take. S/he is right, zenimax in 2014, should have a FoV slider in there. I mean its not something that would take their brainiest coder to add in as the number will already be variable so all they have to do is add in a - and + on that variable, the menu system already has variable sliders so they wouldn't even have to code that!

I don't suffer with motion sickness but my son does. Perhaps you should Google the word empathy or do you just like Forum PvP?

Look at Munku's post history... and learn the art of ignore.
  • Munku
    Munku
    ✭✭✭
    @loxy37 I do agree with you. It should have been---i would rather play in first person perspective and I can't because of the narrow POV.

That said the hyperbolic statement from the OP that the game isn't playable is crap. Play third person like most of us. It might not be ideal for some, but it will be implemented in the future.
  • eduardo_goncalveseb17_ESO
    Yup FOV slider would have been grand.. not that hard to implement..
  • ramasurinenpreub18_ESO
    Thanks for the support Loxy. This issue was very much front and center on this forum and many others during beta and early release.

As soon as the dev team officially approved the use of that field of view hack (pending the arrival of their own built in slider) that storm died down almost entirely.

By using that approved hack most of us susceptible to low-FOV induced motion sickness were able to somewhat relieve the nausea that ESO's narrow console crap FoV gives us. It wasn't perfect, but it worked.

Now that the only "fix" has been broken by patch 1.1.2 expect that storm to restart in full.

My original post was a bit rough, sorry for that, but this ticked me off a bit.

However there's really no excuse for not having this very *basic* functionality on a top flight PC title in 2014. Seriously. The functionality is already there in the game, we just need a freaking slider.

And Munku, my original premise is not "crap". First or third person makes no difference. The FoV is the same in both, and the nausea is the same. Consider yourself blessed to not have to deal with this in games.

ZoS can you please patch this in as soon as possible?

Cheers.
    Edited by ramasurinenpreub18_ESO on 22 May 2014 20:05
  • jbfroik
    jbfroik
    ✭✭✭
    Would it help me not go ouch and get that bizarre feeling in my head when i go up stairs etch? Like i feel like sometimes I'm too close or too far away and it shifts. Is that because of FOV?
  • Psychotius
    Psychotius
    ✭✭✭
    Bye

We should forgive them, Zenimax forgot to change their calendars and are still Zenimax in 2013. I mailed them some 2014 calendars though, so expect the slider soon.
    I'm not as am as you drunk I think.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bye

I don't know of a single MMO that does an FOV slider.

None.

They're not designed to be played in first person. First person was an afterthought here.

That said, they're working on it. Kvetching it's not in yet isn't going to make it go in any faster.

If first person is giving him nausea, play in third like the game was primarily designed for. Complaining doesn't make it happen faster.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have you tested it with both full screen modes? Maybe it'll still work in one if not the other.

This is basically par for the course for many third party programs and add-ons. Sometimes a patch will break them. Hopefully the creator of the unofficially FOV can update it for the new patch.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • TopAce6
    TopAce6
    Soul Shriven
    I have tested it in all 3 modes, it does not work at all :(
  • ramasurinenpreub18_ESO
    Sakiri, we had this same conversation back in the beta forum as I recall, and you said the same thing there: Just play in third person as that was what was intended...

However the same issue still exists: Third person is not only not preferable (to me) it doesn't help with the nausea at all. I'm happy that you're fine with it. I'm not.

Bringing this issue to ZOS' attention *again* is the only course available, so myself and others will do just that, and we'll do it until it gets fixed, by adding a slider in-game as they said they would.

They've demonstrated that they do listen to complaints and quite honestly I rank actual physical nausea ( induced 100% of the time during gameplay) just a little bit higher than this or that class' ability/skill problems, especially when the fix would probably take about 15 mins of a programmer's time.

And... as I said once before in a reply to you, Neverwinter is an MMO that does have an FoV control, by command line. This may be an MMO as well, but it's also an Elder Scrolls game. Both Oblivion and Skyrim had command line FoV control.

Cheers.

Edited by ramasurinenpreub18_ESO on 22 May 2014 21:42
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Bye

I don't know of a single MMO that does an FOV slider.

None.

They're not designed to be played in first person. First person was an afterthought here.

That said, they're working on it. Kvetching it's not in yet isn't going to make it go in any faster.

If first person is giving him nausea, play in third like the game was primarily designed for. Complaining doesn't make it happen faster.
    WOW has first person mode, yes its an fallback then you are against a wall.

An update to the executable will break any hack/ injections like this or skyrim script extender so the hack must be updated too.
    Just make sure that the hack is known by ZOS or you have some chance getting hit by a ban wave, yes you will get your account back but it will takes days.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you really complaining that a patch rendered an addon and an unauthorized hack out-of-date? That's what patches do. And you shouldn't be using the latter, anyway.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Enderus
    Enderus
    ✭✭
    Are you really complaining that a patch rendered an addon and an unauthorized hack out-of-date? That's what patches do. And you shouldn't be using the latter, anyway.
    To be fair... the fix wouldn't be required if the game already included a way to change your FOV. Either from ingame or through a config.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enderus wrote: »
    To be fair... the fix wouldn't be required if the game already included a way to change your FOV. Either from ingame or through a config.

It's something they've said they're working on, but either way, it's ridiculous to complain about add-ons breaking after a patch, especially when one of them isn't legitimate.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Orlacc
    Orlacc
    ✭✭✭
    Since it is so easy, please give me the name of another major MMO that has one.
  • ramasurinenpreub18_ESO
    It's something they've said they're working on, but either way, it's ridiculous to complain about add-ons breaking after a patch, especially when one of them isn't legitimate.

"Legitimate"? Maybe so, maybe not, but it was fully approved by ZoS. The dev team specifically said they had no problem with people using it, and I'd imagine that was because it simply partly achieved something they had planned to do anyway. There was a rather large thread about it awhile back, so quite a lot of us have been using it.

Now they just need to actually do it properly.
    Edited by ramasurinenpreub18_ESO on 22 May 2014 23:47
  • zdkazz
    zdkazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tryed playing without teso fov and got physically sick, the game is unplayable for me atm
    Edited by zdkazz on 23 May 2014 06:00
  • surlysmiles
    surlysmiles
    Soul Shriven

"Legitimate"? Maybe so, maybe not, but it was fully approved by ZoS. The dev team specifically said they had no problem with people using it, and I'd imagine that was because it simply partly achieved something they had planned to do anyway. There was a rather large thread about it awhile back, so quite a lot of us have been using it.

Now they just need to actually do it properly.

yup. a huge thread. This was back in beta I believe. I guess they forgot about it or it's far down the list of things they want to implement. But seriously, implementation for a gui element like this is a piece of cake. Especially since their layout is already there and there are slider components already made. Just tie the component to the variable necessary and add it to the panel or whatever.

I wish I had the source code for the hack so I could see if I could patch it. Probably an easy fix but never messed with injections before.
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of you wondering about whether or not the FOV addon. ex is ok to use, ZOS already said it was OK. Their team took a look at it and decided it was a non-issue as per post by ZOS admin GinaBruno in another FOV thread.

ZOS_GinaBruno admin
    April 17 edited April 17 Staff Post
    Apologies, everyone. We'll check on the status of this now.

Edit: Looks like the team took a close look, and we see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use this mod. Thanks for your patience while we looked into this, and enjoy!
    Post edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on April 17
    Gina Bruno
    Assistant Community Manager - The Elder Scrolls Online

So be patient. I'm sure the mod will be updated so we can use it. I hope soon. The game makes me physically sick with it's puny FOV even 3rd person is messed up. Definitely need to get this put into game with at least a FOV up to 110.

Edited by Vizier on 23 May 2014 18:22
  • ramasurinenpreub18_ESO
    I don't think that mod will be updated actually. By all accounts that I can find the author isn't even playing ESO anymore, so not much hope there.

The FOV slider should have been in at release. The functionality is already present in game. The variable is there, since the game changes it often depending on situation. UI sliders are already in place.

Just. Do. It.

PLEASE.

At the moment I can play for maybe 10 minutes at a time before getting nauseous and then having to log out. It sucks.
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bye

Soapboxes can trigger motion sickness too.

"The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • Shyrith
    Shyrith
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is FoV?

I do hope the mod is fixed for you guys soon. I sympathize. I have a close friend who gets nauseous while playing some games too. Which is why I'm curious about FoV. Both he and I don't recognize the acronym, but maybe whatever it is could help him.
  • zdkazz
    zdkazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shyrith wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is FoV?

I do hope the mod is fixed for you guys soon. I sympathize. I have a close friend who gets nauseous while playing some games too. Which is why I'm curious about FoV. Both he and I don't recognize the acronym, but maybe whatever it is could help him.

Fov stands for field of veiw, or how many degrees can be see. eso is capped at 50° fov, the eye sees at around 180° and this messes with some peoples eyescausing nausia and headaches
  • zdkazz
    zdkazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    God without teso fov or something that changes fov imgoing to have to leave,I only played for 30 mins and i feel quezy
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robocles wrote: »
    Bye

Look at Munku's post history... and learn the art of ignore.
    It's really a wonderful feature, isn't it?

@ramasurinenpreub18_ESO‌
    I, too, eagerly await an official FOV slider. Until it's added, I can't play in first person, which is something I would very much like to do.

Threads like this won't help though. I encourage you to instead send in regular /feedback, letting them know this is desired, and encouraging your friends and guild mates to do so.

If the community makes it known via feedback that we really want this ASAP, it will do more good than any General forum post. :)

In the meantime, just play in 3rd person. I have extremely sensitive eyes, and have never suffered headaches or queasiness in 3rd person. It may not be as immersive as 1st person, but it works just fine.
    Edited by Sarenia on 24 May 2014 05:39
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • KitLightning
    KitLightning
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Munku‌ Hi la_ssistant__thx_007__by_kitlightning-d6pr42t.gif
    zdkazz wrote: »
    ... the eye sees at around 180° and this messes with some peoples eyescausing nausia and headaches

The human eye has a peripheral vision of no more than 120° horizontally and 100° vertically depending on the eyes position, not taking into account that the eye "ses" inwards at c. 60° and 100° sideway from the centre of the eye since it doesn't that these areas are mainly for overlapping the two "images" to form a somewhat uniform and perfect "image". The eye doesn't see the entire visual scenery at all, it is merely the centre of the focal view that objects etc. are discernible to an acceptable degree, the rest of the visual field becomes more blurred the further from the centre (cornea) that externals are perceived by.

la_fessor_by_kitlightning-d6obel9.gif
    "I'd rather be insane in a sane world, than sane in an insane world!" ~Me
    Warning - This is a spoiler and looking at it for too long may cause irrecoverable eyesight issues.
    ◔̯◔

MechWarrior: Living Legends – Total conversion modification for Crysis Wars.

kitlightning.deviantart
  • Millionaires
    Millionaires
    ✭✭✭
    Bye

It's not that easy buddy, the game has a set FoV, changing it is classed as cheating (in some cases.) Theirs a reason it's not added. But before you recommend changes that effect code, I highly suggest you take a course in it, as I can tell you have 0 knowledge at all.. you pretty much just said to add a + and a - and copy and paste a slider and done, if you think that's all it takes to make something work, then I pity you. Copy and pasting code will cause bugs.

"I don't suffer with motion sickness but my son does. Perhaps you should Google the word empathy or do you just like Forum PvP?"
    What's bolded is what you just did, you're trying to flame-bait, on a subject you know nothing about.

Good day, sir.
    Edited by Millionaires on 24 May 2014 06:58
  • ramasurinenpreub18_ESO
    It's not that easy buddy, the game has a set FoV, changing it is classed as cheating (in some cases.) Theirs a reason it's not added. But before you recommend changes that effect code, I highly suggest you take a course in it, as I can tell you have 0 knowledge at all.. you pretty much just said to add a + and a - and copy and paste a slider and done, if you think that's all it takes to make something work, then I pity you. Copy and pasting code will cause bugs.

Actually, sorry to say this, but it really is that easy. Having programmed replicas of aircraft avionics systems from scratch for simulations, it's really not a big deal for someone who knows the code to drop in a slider for an FoV control, especially when the variables (and the FOV values are variable, not constant) are already there.

I can only imagine that by some unfortunate chance there isn't a single person on the ZOS dev team that's susceptible to low-fov induced motion sickness. If there were there would have been a slider for that in at alpha or earlier. It's either that or they gave everyone a 21" monitor and commanded them to sit 5 feet away from it. Oy.
    Edited by ramasurinenpreub18_ESO on 24 May 2014 10:15