Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Teleport Gathering is getting serious

sasakingzk
I couldn't get any gathering nodes lately, the teleport gather took all the materials @ much faster rate than ever before, please do something to stop them !
  • GrimCyclone
    GrimCyclone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could teleport gather /tear
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    I gathered today, used teleport strike to kill the mob next to the node! Does that count?
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What is a teleport gatherer. How does that work?
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    What is a teleport gatherer. How does that work?
    One of the many variants of bots, tele-bots work by getting the coordinates of nodes the server sends to the client (the game .EXE running on your PC) and then the bot makes the client move your character directly to the nodes, harvest them then move to the next.

It's a basic FAIL of ZOS' software design that puts all the control logic of what a characters doe and where/how it moves inside the client with clearly no server-side sanity checking.

Thus for examnplr the bot writers are able to discover memory locations they can fiddle with .. 'flying' bots are an example of a bot changing the game client's memory which then makes it move the character in ways ZOS don't intend.

All botting works by subverting the game's design in some way; by manipulating memory, forging commands sent to the server, intercepting data from the server before the client program sees it, etc.

The larger the bot problem the more fundamentally broken the software design that allows it to happen. No MMOs are bot free, No MMO is as totally overrun with bots of so many kinds.

Edited by KerinKor on 22 May 2014 07:13
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Trenchfoot
    Trenchfoot
    ✭✭
    The number of bots running around in this game is probably the highest I've ever seen in an MMO. No other game I've played has ever had this many operating so blatantly in public view. Frankly, it's a joke.
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    The number of bots running around in this game is probably the highest I've ever seen in an MMO. No other game I've played has ever had this many operating so blatantly in public view. Frankly, it's a joke.

Amen...and dead silence from the GM's. They all must be busy signing up Obamacare enrollees.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD