The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

TESO and its problem of "Eye Cancer"

Bananabrodude
Hello

This is my 2nd TESO account, i have been playing it for about 2 years now

First of all, i really like this game and the following words are now "complaining on a very high level"

I'm getting into my 40ies and my eyes do not really like heavy "lighting" effects like seen on the screenshots below

I seem to be too stupid to upload my own ones but i think you should get what i mean if you see the examples

templar-skill.png
sun-fire-1024x576.jpg
teso_2.jpg
I dug up the "Usersettings.txt" to see if i can reduce the intensitiy of those spell effects, well i accomplished that the game crashed so i went back to put in the original one

So my questions are

1. Did i miss anything and anyone knows a way to reduce the intensity?
2. Anyone else got problems with em?
Ty for your responses and it would be great if a developer/someone official would post what they are thinking

I will write that post in german too and link it after i'm done

Have a nice day :)

• Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is this effect called ''lens flare'' ? If so I use an addon called Lens Flare Toggle to turn it off.Might be worth checking out
    Edited by Ankael07 on 16 February 2017 04:52
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
    Options
  • DigitalShibby
    DigitalShibby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try playing in third person.
    Options
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Screenshot_20161211_184938.png

I find it particularly bad in Trials when 3-4 Destro ults are going on, Grothdarr and other effects at all proccing at once. I literally can't see a thing at times when the fights are going on (a screenshot doesn't do the confusion justice). It's like staring in a disco ball that's reflecting the sun.

"Don't stand in the red!"

If only I could see where the red was...
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under graphics you can toggle off Sunrays and Bloom . This will reduce the lighting .
    Options
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    You can also turn down Gamma Adjustment in Settings > Video, and change the brightness with the Calibrate option under Gamma
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »

As someone who wears glasses, this screenshot hurts my eyes :s

That being said, I love to know if anyone played from start to endgame entirely in first person. I bet VMoL would be fun.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play in third person, that'll remove the problem of your casting effects being in your face.

But I don't know anything about PC visual settings. Perhaps tone down the brightness on your screen? My eyes are sensitive as well and whenever the screen flashes white cause of a quest doing a transition I always have to shut my eyes for a few seconds. (I HATE it during the Summer..)
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I understand ur pain, I'm trying to finish up the fishing achievement in coldharbour and the water(that light shiny blue with the white ice caps) is so hard to look at even when I lower the bright lvl as much as possible it's still hard to look at. I still have 6 more fish to get so more fun hours of headaches ahead of me!
    Edited by FloppyTouch on 16 February 2017 06:12
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I find it particularly bad in Trials when 3-4 Destro ults are going on, Grothdarr and other effects at all proccing at once. I literally can't see a thing at times when the fights are going on (a screenshot doesn't do the confusion justice). It's like staring in a disco ball that's reflecting the sun.

The addons I'm sure help too lol
    Options
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I relate so much to that bolded part.
    Edited by FleetwoodSmack on 16 February 2017 05:03
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you toggle off Bloom and lower rhe gamma , trials will look more like this . However you still will have trouble spotting red circles .

wSoAPyMh.jpg
    Options
  • Bananabrodude
    Edited by Bananabrodude on 16 February 2017 05:19
    Options
  • Bananabrodude
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    Is this effect called ''lens flare'' ? If so I use an addon called Lens Flare Toggle to turn it off.Might be worth checking out

Tried the addon

It prompted "lens flare off" and i restarted game to be sure the change is used but no changes to spell effects

But good idea :)

Edit: Found out what it does, it alters the way the sun looks like if you directly look into it
    Edited by Bananabrodude on 16 February 2017 06:02
    Options
  • Bananabrodude
    Try playing in third person.

Sorry i should have made that clear earlier but i always play in 3rd person ;)

Just couldn't get any good pics
    Options
  • jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must hate JJ Abrams lol.
    Options
  • Bananabrodude
    jaye63 wrote: »
    Sunglasses.

Y allready used em for the quest in Coldharbor where you save the king-dude and you have to turn Meridias Crystals :p

+ gamma down to 0 and squeezing my eyes :)
    Edited by Bananabrodude on 16 February 2017 05:31
    Options
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usually my eyes just blank out so its like im looking at a blob of nothing when everything hits.
    Options
  • MickeyBN
    MickeyBN
    ✭✭✭✭

Maybe if you didn't have 40 addons you might be able to comprehend what's going on.

Vaelerys Nightborn - Bosmer Nightblade PC NA
    Options
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, there is a lot of flashing stuff and particle effects that could be toned down IMO. I like playing on first person sometimes when I go through delves, but sorc are hard on the eyes with all the flashing abilities.
    Options
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes as a tank i can't see a thing when i am in the middle of all that glare - hilarious.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'm not certain there are settings that will improve this specific situation, you could try using some form of ReShade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/5dvpes/pc_uber_fidelity_suite_for_the_elder_scrolls/

It comes with a plethora of graphic tweaks to play around with.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • Sovaso
    Sovaso
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see your point..
    Options
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    noted, and ty.
    Options
  • Bananabrodude
    Faulgor wrote: »
    While I'm not certain there are settings that will improve this specific situation, you could try using some form of ReShade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/5dvpes/pc_uber_fidelity_suite_for_the_elder_scrolls/

It comes with a plethora of graphic tweaks to play around with.

I can be wrong and i really hope you prove me wrong but this thing just uses more "advanced filters" to make the picture look more "beautiful" and doesn't alter the engine eg spell effect itself :p

It might decrease the intensity a bit though, like on the picture where gamma is heavily reduced
    wSoAPyMh.jpg
    Options
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm the only one who actually want more and better effects lol.
    #VMATOKENSYSTEM #WEAPONDYE #TRAITCHANGE #CROWNCRATELOVER
    • Alliance/Platform: Aldemerii - PS4/NA - CP 800+
    • Mag Sorc: Arya Rosendahl - Altmer - Highelf
    Options
  • Bananabrodude
    I guess I'm the only one who actually want more and better effects lol.

Well not necessarily :p

We both can get what we want if TESO gets a "Skill-Intensity-Slider" :)

clean-simple-web-slider-user-interface-element.jpg
    Options
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MickeyBN wrote: »
    Maybe if you didn't have 40 addons you might be able to comprehend what's going on.
    2 add-ons. 2. FTC and S'rrendarr. And even then, the floating combat text is bad (I've since disabled it as FTC has been mostly replaced by CombatMetrics for raiders). But it's not the addons that are the problem, it's the thousand and one ultra bright flash of lights exploding all over the screen at once.
    Edited by Preyfar on 16 February 2017 07:20
    Options
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello

This is my 2nd TESO account, i have been playing it for about 2 years now

First of all, i really like this game and the following words are now "complaining on a very high level"

I'm getting into my 40ies and my eyes do not really like heavy "lighting" effects like seen on the screenshots below

I seem to be too stupid to upload my own ones but i think you should get what i mean if you see the examples

templar-skill.png
    sun-fire-1024x576.jpg
    teso_2.jpg
    I dug up the "Usersettings.txt" to see if i can reduce the intensitiy of those spell effects, well i accomplished that the game crashed so i went back to put in the original one

So my questions are

1. Did i miss anything and anyone knows a way to reduce the intensity?
    2. Anyone else got problems with em?
    Ty for your responses and it would be great if a developer/someone official would post what they are thinking

I will write that post in german too and link it after i'm done

Have a nice day :)

If you head over to nexus there are some fx modes, some are darker themed and have bright, med, and darker settings. Look up nexus elder scrolls online mods, and look under graphics.
    Options
  • Bananabrodude
    CosmicSoul wrote: »
    If you head over to nexus there are some fx modes, some are darker themed and have bright, med, and darker settings. Look up nexus elder scrolls online mods, and look under graphics.

I think i get your point but the problem is they are just "filters" that are used and they affect the whole picture not the specific spells and effects, because only the engine can change their intensity and keep the rest of the picture "normal"

Might be easier to just dump Gamma to 0 then or B)
    Edited by Bananabrodude on 16 February 2017 07:37
    Options
This discussion has been closed.