The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

*FIX* PC shutdown, 40gb download solution

GeertKarel
GeertKarel
✭✭✭
So basically, you open the eso client, it starts downloading the new patch. Suddenly the game shuts your pc off.
Since the download/patch changed the name of the folder it can't find the game and you have to redownload the whole game.

*****FIX********
Your original file is called "The elder Scrolls Online"
and the new map made is called "The elder Scrolls Online EU" (if you have to dl entire patch again) you have to change this folders name just put a 1 or 2 behind it and remove the eu. (do not remove only the eu) you can delete this file after you are done or right away but make sure you delete the right one.
Now you search for the map named "The Elder Scrolls Online" and you make it to "The elder scrolls online EU" the game will find your map and it will download the patches that you were supposed to get.
Edited by GeertKarel on 5 October 2016 16:45
Server: EU Pact
Guild: Hodor
  • GeneralPardon
    GeneralPardon
    ✭✭✭
    Git gud interwebs? ;)
    I feel for you tho! Also that you're downloading NA is correct. They moved the realm selection to in-game
    CP10+
    nMA nDSA nSO nAA nHRC nMoL nHoF nAS
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand why sometimes installing something may require a reboot.

However - software installs should never force a reboot without warning/dialogue box for the user to say OK reboot now to allow people time to check their system is ready for a reboot.
    Edited by Epona222 on 5 October 2016 15:28
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Karacule_Fairystar
    Karacule_Fairystar
    ✭✭✭
    it did made my pc restart when I launch the launcher.
  • Virolek
    Virolek
    ✭✭
    This also happened to me. Forced restart and now it wants to install 40 gigs :|
  • GeertKarel
    GeertKarel
    ✭✭✭
    I am not the only one with this problem, and I have a very good pc with with very good internet. @ZOS_GinaBruno Hope zenimax will fix it, I hope this game removes the old files otherwise I have to do a full remove and a clean install but we shall see what this hokus pokus non reliable game client will do.
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Snip]
    This is not a Zenimax issue, it's a Windows issue.

[Edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_JohanaB on 5 October 2016 15:46
    My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I set the patcher running and left the room for a couple of minutes, and returned to find the machine (Windows 7 x64) rebooted and on the "Windows is configuring" screen associated with Windows Updates. The machine has come back up ok, not inclined to try the game launcher again for a while until I see what is being reported generally.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    What is a geert?
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

•  Czirne
    Czirne
    ✭✭✭✭
    same happened to me... restart and 40 gb download :/
    I believe in lagless Cyrodiil!
  • xblackroxe
    xblackroxe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gard wrote: »
    [Snip]
    This is not a Zenimax issue, it's a Windows issue.

[Edited for baiting]

Ofc.
    Thats why it happend when i started the launcher. K
    Edited by ZOS_JohanaB on 5 October 2016 15:46
    Member of HODOR

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    It worked fine for me. :neutral:
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    It does sound more like a windows issue. With Win10's choosing when to install updates with or without your permission, this is not really something that can be controlled except by watching the corners of your screen and acting on the reboot requests quickly. They've even taken out our ability to schedule them, from what I've seen.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    I understand why sometimes installing something may require a reboot.

However - software installs should never force a reboot without warning/dialogue box for the user to say OK reboot now to allow people time to check their system is ready for a reboot.
    That's true. People should always make sure that they don't have any applications open that would cause a problem if they were forced to shut down when doing any software updates, just in case of something like this. At the same time, software installations/updates shouldn't ever force a reboot without a warning that gives people enough time to prepare.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • biovitalb16_ESO
    biovitalb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I open the launcher after restarting I get....

"Restarting computer"

Great update. Another pro patch from the derp team at ZOS.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same thing happened to me, too. I had some work-related documents I was working on that I hadn't saved. I clicked okay to update vc_redist and it rebooted instantly without warning. I've never had the ESO launcher do that so it didn't seem like something I'd have considered a risk. My fault for not saving my documents, but definitely cost me money. XD
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it is not a windows issue. The Visual C++ runtime libraries were installed with the client, forcing a reboot for those who didnt have them before.

This leads to the launcher being broken, some EU players need to redownload the entire game now.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had no problems downloading and it was fairly quick, considering. Are you EU players?
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • GeertKarel
    GeertKarel
    ✭✭✭
    So after checking my files, this game made a new folder: "The Elder Scrolls Online" , my original game was called "The Elder scrolls online EU" and suddenly it wants me to download the game new. So basically I end up with 2 big folders with the same files. Please can it be coded the way that we don't have to waste so much time on this downloading ***.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with Windows 10, it happened to me running W7.

It may simply be that there's some sort of system file that needs updating for the new launcher, and which was automatically installed by the launcher and then configured by Windows, and there was a prompt asking if it was alright to make alterations, which I consented to as it was clearly a part of the launcher update, but it should warn that the computer will be rebooted.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't get any reboot issues (so far), but Windows did ask for approval, twice, when I opened the launcher, to make changes. Something with vcredist.
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • GeertKarel
    GeertKarel
    ✭✭✭
    GeertKarel wrote: »
    I came back from work opened my eso client, and started to download. elder scrolls na, felt kind of odd.
    something with visual c++ 2010 not correctly installed. and suddenly it shutted my pc off.

When I started the game I SAW THAT I HAD TO DOWNLOAD the ENTIRE GAME ALL OVER AGAIN.
    (It basically ignored my current file and made a new folder to download the whole game fresh again in the new folder,

*****FIX******** (EU PLAYERS ONLY, I think)
    and the new map made is called "The elder Scrolls Online EU" (if you have to dl entire patch again) you have to change this folders name just put a 1 or 2 behind it and remove the eu. (do not remove only the eu)
    Now you search for the map named "The Elder Scrolls Online" and you make it to "The elder scrolls online EU" the game will find your map and it will download the patches that you were supposed to get.

•  Czirne
    Czirne
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Virolek
    Virolek
    ✭✭
    GeertKarel wrote: »

*****FIX********
    and the new map made is called "The elder Scrolls Online EU" (if you have to dl entire patch again) you have to change this folders name just put a 1 or 2 behind it and remove the eu. (do not remove only the eu)

This worked, thanks!

• GeertKarel
    GeertKarel
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know :)
  • Trevlac
    Trevlac
    Soul Shriven
    Didn't get any reboot issues (so far), but Windows did ask for approval, twice, when I opened the launcher, to make changes. Something with vcredist.

I got this as well. However, my PC did an unannounced restart after saying yes both times to the vcredist boxes which was really weird.
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the issue mostly for EU players? I think the reason is this:

Patcher Updates
    We’ve made several updates and changes to the ESO patcher in this update.
    The patcher will no longer have a selection for the NA and EU realms. Instead, the selection will now be made in-game.
    You will receive a pop-up when you first log in after this update to choose a preferred realm.
    If you have characters on both realms and frequently switch, you can find this option under Settings on the login screen.
    Known Issue: The patcher will still display “The Elder Scrolls Online (NA)” as the main server. However, both NA and EU are accessible by selecting that realm. This will be fixed in a future patch.
    The PTS will still be accessible in the patcher if you have that option selected to display.
    There will no longer be a red/green light indicating the realm status on the patcher.
    This is something we’re exploring as an addition in a future update.
    The image on the installer and the background of the patcher has been changed to a new image of the Tamrielic map.
    If you regularly play on both realms and run different settings for add-ons, these settings will be reverted to default.
    There will be an update to the patcher that we encourage you to download before attempting to launch the game after the maintenance for this update is complete.

**Right out of the patch notes.
  • Moltyr
    Moltyr
    ✭✭✭
    SO IT BEGINS!

Never trust ZOS on patch day
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »
    No it is not a windows issue. The Visual C++ runtime libraries were installed with the client, forcing a reboot for those who didnt have them before.

This leads to the launcher being broken, some EU players need to redownload the entire game now.

Yes, it is a windows issue. Depending on which "it" we're talking about.

Windows should not reboot your computer without prompting you just because you installed a software dependency. Zenimax has no control over that. Windows issue.

Redownloading the entire game though.. now that's a zenimax issue.

My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know indeed.
    However with any patch maintenance I keep waiting untill the indicator changes from IN PROGRESS to COMPLETE, and only then I start downloading patch. Usually by then some people reported they are playing so that means patch should be applied successfully. Then usually everything on my PC is updated without problems too. Sometimes being hasty isn't good :).
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trevlac wrote: »

I got this as well. However, my PC did an unannounced restart after saying yes both times to the vcredist boxes which was really weird.

Odd. You using an older version of Windows, or Win10? I'm using 10.
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil