The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The New leveling advisor

Cold91
Cold91
✭✭✭
So in the news section ZoS talks about this update and dropped this lil nugget: "With the Level Up Advisor, every time one of your characters gains a level, you will receive gameplay tips and useful rewards. These rewards will include gold, crafting materials, and consumables, and certain key leveling milestones will even reward you with a new mount or a Crown Crate!"

So my question is, what about us who already have have a fully leveled toon or 2 or 3 or 12 fully leveled toons? Do we just miss out on the gold, mounts, crown crates, and other rewards?
How exactly does this work, will a new player be able to collect all the rewards on his first character, and every preceeding character while us veterens just get screwed for having already leveled 1,2,5,12 characters?

I would really hope that whatever rewards are retro-activley rewarded to already fully leveled toons when this update comes out.
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question, I'm curious too.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds terribly like dumbing down to me. I hope that isn't the case. It's not like leveling up poses any serious challenges at present. Giving tips on what to do next and where is one thing, giving gold, crafting materials, and consumables every time you level plus other occasional goodies is something else altogether.
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just when I thought I was done with the leveling pita... I hope this is account wide and retroactive!!!
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Cold91
    Cold91
    ✭✭✭
    Just when I thought I was done with the leveling pita... I hope this is account wide and retroactive!!!

That would make the most sense and be the ideal way to implement the reward aspect of this system. However, with the way the decided to do the Outfit system in a less than ideal manner, I'm not so confident they did any better implementing this system. If ZoS could just clarify this stuff that would be awesome.
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping it's done well. There are a LOT of newer players who are quite lost as to what to do as they level, which direction to take their character. There's potential for the system they've very briefly outlined to help less experienced or more casual players make more informed decisions about what effects an attribute point or skill point will actually have for them, which is good.

Or ZOS could chump it completely. Wait and see!
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Pick crystal blast" incoming from these "tips"
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works. ESO has lots of mechanics that are not explained, and newer players who aren't part of guilds or active on social media or the forums simply cannot be expected to know some very important stuff. So mostly this seems positive, but we will see how it is implemented

Maybe we'll all learn something. If zos pulls back the curtain far enough we may realise there are mechanics none of us properly understood before.

Maybe zos need to learn something. Some of ESO players are actually like scientists working out how things work and what does best, and so it may be interesting to see whether these leveling hints are as good as what the community has already produced.

On topic I like that the game is getting easier and easier for new players to catch up, but when cool rewards are on offer I expect them to be available to everyone. I have 14 max level characters, and I don't think it is fair that I miss out just because I have been playing the game longer.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the mount and crown crate will be for the 1st character hit the milestone only, or somehow tie with champion level, which is account shared, or else people will keep making new char to farm skyreach for crown crates.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really Im happy that ZOS is finally introducing a long overdue leveling advisory system. I know when I first started the game, my first MMO, I was totally clueless on how the combat system worked, and what I should do to improve my character. It became very frustrating at times. As far as the rewards go, I doubt very seriously that ZOS will make them retroactive. However, that doesn’t stop us from creating new characters, unless you are at max already :)
    Edited by Ashtaris on 4 January 2018 16:37
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    The rewards obtained through the Level Up Advisor are items that will be helpful for your character as they progress to level 50, and will not be retroactively granted to existing characters. We'll have a full list of the milestone rewards listed in the PTS patch notes for visibility.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • PerArdua
    PerArdua
    ✭✭✭
    Even the crate n mounts @ZOS_GinaBruno ? This seems a little un fair on the long term players who have 14 fully lvled toons
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this does something to explain to new players some of the basic meta about builds that has so far not been obvious in game, that'd be nice.

Things like:
    Staff skills and most magicka skills scale their damage from max magicka.
    Weapon skills and most stamina skills scale their damage from max stamina.
    Good DPS means using DOTs and single target skills.
    Basic tips about the role of a healer, tank, and DPS in dungeons.
    Food and drink bonuses are extremely helpful and pretty much non-optional if you want to do well in group content.
    Review some of the tips that show up in the very beginning after leaving the tutorial, but just scroll by in complete information overload.
    As you get close to level 50, start explaining the Champion Point system and Enlightenment.

Oh, and an explanation of how battle-leveling scales partially off how close your gear is to your current level so if you feel like you are getting weaker maybe you should check your gear and make sure you are equipping useful skills.

Those are the things I often have to explain to new players.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rewards obtained through the Level Up Advisor are items that will be helpful for your character as they progress to level 50, and will not be retroactively granted to existing characters. We'll have a full list of the milestone rewards listed in the PTS patch notes for visibility.

So the crown crates and mounts will only be available if you level a new character? How are they helpful for leveling?
    PS4 EU
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So what is the incentive to level a new character till Update 17? Because right now I can't find any, and I'm tempted to cancel my ESO+ sub until the patch arrives.
    edit: well, it completely killed my mood for levelling any character, be it old or new. And I don't have any max levelled toon...
    Edited by Ydrisselle on 4 January 2018 16:50
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lillybit wrote: »

So the crown crates and mounts will only be available if you level a new character? How are they helpful for leveling?

Yeah, this part seems confusing. I expect and don't mind new characters getting stuff like 10 Crown Potions every few levels, but unless the crown crates are a special version with a curated selection of consumable items, I'm... not quite following. But thank you for the intent to include the full list in the patch notes.

e:
    The mount included in the Level Up Advisor is just your basic brown horse.

Ahh, got it. That's reasonable.
    Edited by rhapsodious on 4 January 2018 16:49
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

It's just a nice little "good job" reward, but keep in mind those (and other collectible-type things) are per account, not per character. The mount included in the Level Up Advisor is just your basic brown horse.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I can see it. A common question new players ask is "How do I get a mount?" Spend enough time in the starter zones and you'll see that question asked a lot along with the rote answer "Stable in ______ for 10k gold, or crown store, there's no difference between mounts except for appearance." So getting a basic mount as you level isn't a bad idea.

Most of the Crown Crates hold nothing but consumables, which is right in line with most of the rewards, but I suppose this one is a little more along the lines of "If we hook them with Crown Crates in the leveling process, they'll buy more Crown Crates later!"

Its also implicitly a way to get older players to buy more character slots from the crown store so they too can get in on those sweet loots.
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just a nice little "good job" reward, but keep in mind those (and other collectible-type things) are per account, not per character. The mount included in the Level Up Advisor is just your basic brown horse.

/Insert a random brown horse GIF here.
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• PerArdua
    PerArdua
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification re mounts @ZOS_GinaBruno . Tho it doesn’t answer the crown crate question . Also if I have 13 fully lvled toons n I level a 14th do u get the rewards ?
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheap mounts are cheap mounts, mats are mats, but crown crates are serious. If you're giving out crates for leveling up characters, but not for people who've already done that, this is a big deal.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PerArdua wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification re mounts @ZOS_GinaBruno . Tho it doesn’t answer the crown crate question . Also if I have 13 fully lvled toons n I level a 14th do u get the rewards ?

Ignore this - sorry, I misunderstood comment :)
    Edited by lillybit on 4 January 2018 16:59
    PS4 EU
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    PerArdua wrote: »
    if I have 13 fully lvled toons n I level a 14th do u get the rewards ?

Yes. Any character that hits a new level will receive their applicable rewards once they ding the new level. So, you could start a brand new character and get every reward until 50, or you could pick up an older level 32 and get every reward after level 32.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

62628817.jpg

Gina thanks for jumping between all the threads and giving straight answers. Obviously people are going to find a way to complain about everything. That players who have levelled up 14 characters don't get the same "good job" rewards is a bit of a slap in the face. Please consider adding one more character slot to the crown store (a 15th slot) so that long-term players cannot complain that they are being excluded.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brown horse runs as fast, packs just as many bags and has as much brawn as any other horse, cat, bear, wolf, bug or construct :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »

62628817.jpg

Gina thanks for jumping between all the threads and giving straight answers. Obviously people are going to find a way to complain about everything. That players who have levelled up 14 characters don't get the same "good job" rewards is a bit of a slap in the face. Please consider adding one more character slot to the crown store (a 15th slot) so that long-term players cannot complain that they are being excluded.

We're discussing the option of adding another character slot for that reason.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Brown horse runs as fast, packs just as many bags and has as much brawn as any other horse, cat, bear, wolf, bug or construct :)

Lacks the smooth suspension of the Nix Ox, though. It's like riding my couch down the highway!
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pauli133 wrote: »

Cheap mounts are cheap mounts, mats are mats, but crown crates are serious. If you're giving out crates for leveling up characters, but not for people who've already done that, this is a big deal.

I agree. Even if they only contain Crown consumables, thanks to your bad luck.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is good and will encourage new players, most of us that have been around don't need the stuff anyway.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    This sounds terribly like dumbing down to me. I hope that isn't the case. It's not like leveling up poses any serious challenges at present. Giving tips on what to do next and where is one thing, giving gold, crafting materials, and consumables every time you level plus other occasional goodies is something else altogether.
    Random normal dungeon is BC2, I as warden healer was the only using AoE on the boss before the two harvesters, all was above CP160. That boss is not very hard on vet.
    Yes some guidance for basic game mechanics is very needed.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • PerArdua
    PerArdua
    ✭✭✭
    Going to be a busy day for you @ZOS_GinaBruno