The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The future of ESO on consoles

WildRaptorX
WildRaptorX
✭✭✭✭✭
I’ve read a couple of articles stating that the next gen consoles are going to surface in 2019/2020 and I’m wondering if Zenimax will keep ESO going onto the next gen consoles.
  • zeratulsin
    zeratulsin
    ✭✭
    No you just got click baited by the general gaming "journalism" websites there have been zero credible sources about next gen dates.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zeratulsin wrote: »
    No you just got click baited by the general gaming "journalism" websites there have been zero credible sources about next gen dates.

This isn't true. Sony/playstation has already stated we are now in the final phase of the ps4. New gen should start no later than fall 2020 or spring 2021.

To op, I do hope so, but only if they have a new engine. This one is trash. No verticality whatsoever. ESO in its current form won't be able to compete with all the new games that will have underwater environments and flying mounts next gen.
    Edited by Sevn on June 12, 2018 6:24PM
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They just came out with the upgraded version of both consoles. They both have upgraded video cards that could be considered comparable to modern lower end video cards. So i doubt upgrades will be that soon. I do see them increasing the upgrade schedule if they are going to continue with the MMO market and want to be seen as competitive to PC( even though they arent even really close).

• zeratulsin
    zeratulsin
    ✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »

This isn't true. Sony/playstation has already stated we are now in the final phase of the ps4. New gen should start no later than fall 2020 or spring 2021.

Feel free to post a source from sony themselves clearly saying 2020/2021 for anything relataded to next gen consoles
    until then stop spouting out guesstimate garbage.
  • XGCAlbatr0ss
    XGCAlbatr0ss
    ✭✭✭
    I think its time to begin building my PC, due to the lack of console MMO's. I highly doubt that ESO will re write the existing game to be compatible with a new console. Therefore i will play ESO on console until then, then move on to PC.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree they're definitely coming that soon (2020-ish), not next year.
  • Kuwhar
    Kuwhar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt worry too much, whenever they do decide to stop console support they will most certainly have a server transfer service to PC.

Yet that wont be for a while after ps5 release (whenever that is)

I recall FFXI didnt stop support for the ps2 until 2016, 3 years after ps4. So the longevity of ESO on the ps4 looks good.

• ZOS_Mika
    ZOS_Mika
    admin
    We have recently removed some insulting comments. Please be sure to treat other community members with respect. Disagreeing is fine, but name calling and insults are inappropriate. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason the console manufactures went to a PC architecture is so code will be more forward and backwards comparable from now on. So yes any IP that wants to make money will move forward with the new consoles.
    Actually I am more worried about my PC moving forward as the the PC tech seems to have reached a plateau.
  • zeratulsin
    zeratulsin
    ✭✭
    Ok so you seem to be completely missing the actual point , im not sure if your confused or you dont quite understand but il bold the important parts for you this time.

Feel free to post a source from sony themselves clearly saying 2020/2021 Pay special attention the the Date.

my point still stands that any date said here is complete guesstimates as Sony themselves have never come out with any official dates or information about any next gen .Yes we already know they said ps4 was the end of its life but that means very little since everyone knew that before their investors meetings.
    Until sony themselves say anything about it , its purely baseless rumours of a 2020/2021"release"
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't trust anything that gaming sites say. These gaming sites were saying that Xbox One and PS4 were going to be the last consoles and there would be no Xbox what ever it's name is going to be or PS5. That there would be no more consoles anymore. As we can see consoles are not going away any time soon.

So don't worry about what these sites say.
    Edited by Davor on June 12, 2018 7:10PM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so you seem to be completely missing the actual point , im not sure if your confused or you dont quite understand but il bold the important parts for you this time.

Feel free to post a source from sony themselves clearly saying 2020/2021 Pay special attention the the Date.

my point still stands that any date said here is complete guesstimates as Sony themselves have never come out with any official dates or information about any next gen .Yes we already know they said ps4 was the end of its life but that means very little since everyone knew that before their investors meetings.
    Until sony themselves say anything about it , its purely baseless rumours of a 2020/2021"release"

PS1 release 1994
    PS2 release 2000
    PS3 release 2006
    PS4 release 2013

I dunno, I see a pretty clear pattern emerging with Sony, while a 20/21 release date has not been officially announced, I think its more than baseless rumors when you look at it statistically, not even mentioning the substantial amount of google results from pretty reputable sites saying the same thing. No its not guaranteed, but its pretty darn likely when you put it altogether, I think its more than a "guesstimate"
    Edited by summitxho on June 12, 2018 7:18PM
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The reason the console manufactures went to a PC architecture is so code will be more forward and backwards comparable from now on. So yes any IP that wants to make money will move forward with the new consoles.
    Actually I am more worried about my PC moving forward as the the PC tech seems to have reached a plateau.

moore's law still applies.... it ain't over yet.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see gaming going to the cloud with streaming to a simple console like box in the future. Will allow massive number of players with less strain on the local hardware. The trend will be less and less solo play with more pay as you go.
    Already a trend in other industries, just look at Autocad, Microsoft Office etc.
    Edited by TequilaFire on June 12, 2018 7:38PM
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

moore's law still applies.... it ain't over yet.

Moore's Law is dead or dying,

forever stuck in combat
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO was among the first games to make the jump to iterative consoles. I highly doubt ZOS will abandon that revenue stream come next gen. Pretty safe bet ESO be on PS5/XNext.
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keylun wrote: »
    I’ve read a couple of articles stating that the next gen consoles are going to surface in 2019/2020 and I’m wondering if Zenimax will keep ESO going onto the next gen consoles.

were still in the pro generation of the consoles theyve already said a ps5 and another xbox is a long long while off cause of hardware progression. so were gonna have xbox ones and ps4s for probly another decade or 2
  • nTranced
    nTranced
    ✭✭✭
    I think its time to begin building my PC, due to the lack of console MMO's. I highly doubt that ESO will re write the existing game to be compatible with a new console. Therefore i will play ESO on console until then, then move on to PC.

Not sure why the game would have be rewritten as both Xbox/PS4 use the same x86-64 architecture as PCs and future consoles will be the same. ZOS might add better textures as they did for the 1X/Pro and maybe even some visual controls that are currently only available to PCs but the main code should remain the same provided both Microsoft/Sony stick with x86-64.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you can feel pretty confident that it will continue. Sony and Microsoft have stated many times that they didn’t realize how much people liked their old games. Now that they understand how important reverse compatibility is, I highly doubt we will ever see another console that does not allow for reverse compatibility right from the jump.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is 2019 for the PS5 and the next XBox. I state this with about 80% confidence as Sony will probably try to stick to the 6-7 year window life of the console and the PS4 came out in 2013, making 2019 around October or November the perfect time to launch the next console. XBox will probably try to also hit that window so they don't lose out to the PS again, like they did with this generation.

The reality is, the tech has not advance all that much over the past few years. Yes, AMD has made some strides and now can provide stronger CPU and GPU for the next gen system, though the tech between what we have now and the next gen will be less of a leap than that of the PS3 to the PS4 and that was a much smaller leap when compared to the PS2 to the PS3.

The leap with the next gen consoles will be more memory and better CPU/GPU to handle multiple code execution that the current gen tends to have as its bottleneck. Something MS should have considered when they released the XBox One X, they had the option to upgrade the CPU to reduce the bottleneck that the current gen has but they choice the same CPU just with faster clock speed.

I'm hoping between now and when the next gen are launched that AMD has made further enhancements to their chipset making the change from the current gen to the next gen worth the investment. Even though graphically, we won't see that much improvement compared to the what we see today.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt it would be that hard to make eso PS5 compatible.... Whenever it comes out. In fact im sure the game would run even smoother on a better system.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People worrying about compatibility... the entire reason for PS4 was to make it more like a PC... thus making it easier for game developers to make content for both PC and console. So NO, they're not going to come out with a console that goes back to being proprietary forcing game developers to once again create two different games- one for PC and one for console.

And NO, ZOS will not completely re-write their game on a new engine, which is what they would have to do... it isn't like, "oh hey, we like that gaming engine better, let's copy and paste our game over there." No, it doesn't work like that.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I get a 4K tv, why would I need a new console? Are not the graphics on the Xbox One X not good in 4K? Is ESO not good in 4K on Xbox One X and PS 4+ (sorry if I got the PS4 newer console name wrong.)

So no need for a new console any time soon. Just a new TV or monitor for my Xbox One X. :)
    Edited by Davor on June 13, 2018 1:01AM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We know from Microsoft at this year's E3 that the Xbox Two is in active development right now. Its code named "Scarlett" and will be a family of devices hence why Microsoft called it "consoles" in plural. This confirms Thurott, who has been a longtime microsoft Insider and MVP, stating two months ago that he leaked many of the details related to Project Scarlet (this leak was of course allowed by Microsoft to build hype)

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/161232/microsofts-next-gen-xbox-will-arrive-2020

http://bgr.com/2018/06/12/microsoft-next-gen-xbox-release-date-2020/

https://www.techradar.com/news/next-xbox-reportedly-launching-in-2020

So sometime in the 4th quarter of 2019 or 2020 we will see the next Xbox, considering Sony is Microsoft's direct competitor, Sony is also probably moving in the same direction of releasing the PS5 sometime in the same ballpark.

however, this DOES NOT mean games and support for the Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS4, and PS4 Pro is over. Microsoft/Sony will continue to support these platforms for another 4-5 years after the next gen releases.

the Xbox 360 was released in 2005 and Xbox Live is still supported on those devices now, and im pretty sure the PSN still works with the PS3 so support for the PS4 and Xbox One isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and if its profitable im sure ZOS will port ESO to the new console gen so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

be happy new hardware is coming, not sad :)
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Diminish
    Diminish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    Once I get a 4K tv, why would I need a new console? Are not the graphics on the Xbox One X not good in 4K? Is ESO not good in 4K on Xbox One X and PS 4+ (sorry if I got the PS4 newer console name wrong.)

So no need for a new console any time soon. Just a new TV or monitor for my Xbox One X. :)

Honestly, with ESO, I don't see a huge difference playing on a PS4 Pro with a 4k TV. Sure, there are some great looking areas, but then there are some others with some poor quality textures. The rocks in this game really bug me. I feel like I am playing on a PS3/Xbox 360 at times.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DuskMarine wrote: »

were still in the pro generation of the consoles theyve already said a ps5 and another xbox is a long long while off cause of hardware progression. so were gonna have xbox ones and ps4s for probly another decade or 2

What? Did you say another 10-20 years for this gen? Pass me whatever you are smoking on, it's gotta be some good good.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To op, I do hope so, but only if they have a new engine. This one is trash. No verticality whatsoever. ESO in its current form won't be able to compete with all the new games that will have underwater environments and flying mounts next gen.

There will never be an engine update (it's tantamount to making a whole new game). The best we can hope for is ESO 2 at some point.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 13, 2018 3:44AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is as clear as it should be that ESO plans to continue on consoles for the foreseeable future.

That does not mean Zos will make big changes since it will need to accommodate the current systems for some time.

Edt: BTW, Zos probably plans to continue on consoles for years to come.
    Edited by idk on June 13, 2018 3:49AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DuskMarine wrote: »

Development on games for the new cobsoles has already started. The PS4 Pro and X1X run on the equivalent of a GTX 960 and 1060 respectively. Those are weak GPUs. Their CPUs are even weaker, still running the third generation i3-equivalent crap from when the original consoles released in 2013. A new console generation is needed badly as the current gen consoles are holding back graphics advancement. The PC hardware for far superior visuals is already available. There just aren't any games that can take advantage of it since everything needs to be able to run on consoles too.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 13, 2018 3:52AM
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There will never be an engine update (it's tantamount to making a whole new game). The best we can hope for is ESO 2 at some point.

That is saddening to hear. Oh well, everything comes to an end eventually. I'm guessing there will be many more mmo's on console next gen so I'll get my dungeons and dragons fix somewhere I'm sure.
    -Hemingway