The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Nerf Resistance scaling or tanking

Expert
Expert
✭✭✭✭
Since everyone falls back on TLDR, or OP died by this or that. or a nerf this thread.

Lets see your constructive criticism

Want specifics? Okay, healing power has increased a lot lately. Defile options has been nerfed a lot in the past, and now we have a gap of immortality when it comes to trying to outplay the strong healing power it has. Maybe templars... maybe you'll just get offended. Tanks happen to live through because of strong healing power, it's easier to stack resistances than it is to stack penetration. Change my mind.

Cheers
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expert wrote: »
    Since everyone falls back on TLDR, or OP died by this or that. or a nerf this thread.

Want specifics? Okay, healing power has increased a lot lately. Defile options has been nerfed a lot in the past, and now we have a gap of immortality when it comes to trying to outplay the strong healing power it has. Maybe templars... maybe you'll just get offended. Tanks happen to live through because of strong healing power, it's easier to stack resistances than it is to stack penetration. Change my mind.

Cheers

It is also extremely easier to have access to minor maim (low lash, shade, sets, etc) and minor protection (psijic ult, res buffs for Wardens, templar passives, etc) than it is to have access to minor berserker (evil hunter and slimecraw, and warden obviously cuz warden cannot have evrry buff in the game) and minor vulnerability (concussion, ambush/lotus, warden flies cuz again warden must have everything). Same for major mending, which is accessible from class skills by dks and Wardens (and necros?), whereas major defile comes only from 1 set, warden skills (again, lol), necro blast bones, standard (for whoever is crazy enough to use that skill) and soul harvest.
  • juhislihis19
    juhislihis19
    ✭✭✭✭

Cheers

It is also extremely easier to have access to minor maim (low lash, shade, sets, etc) and minor protection (psijic ult, res buffs for Wardens, templar passives, etc) than it is to have access to minor berserker (evil hunter and slimecraw, and warden obviously cuz warden cannot have evrry buff in the game) and minor vulnerability (concussion, ambush/lotus, warden flies cuz again warden must have everything). Same for major mending, which is accessible from class skills by dks and Wardens (and necros?), whereas major defile comes only from 1 set, warden skills (again, lol), necro blast bones, standard (for whoever is crazy enough to use that skill) and soul harvest.

Hmm, I don't think Necro's have Major Mending..?

But yeah, it's crazy how Warden has access pretty much to every meaningful buff in the game.. and it's not like they asked for them..
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheers

Hmm, I don't think Necro's have Major Mending..?

But yeah, it's crazy how Warden has access pretty much to every meaningful buff in the game.. and it's not like they asked for them..

Ye idk about necro, not sure, I never played or had issues in fighting that class, so I never investigated it properly.
    On warden I agree, what triggers me most is the fact that they receive buffs that were defining of other classes (major mending from templars and dks, minor berserker from nb, vulnerability from nb with dragonhold, etc) without ever asking for them, while the original classes saw their toolkit becoming poorer and poorer in favour of warden. I believe it now has all buffs in the game except major maim? Not sure. Surely this does not contribute to make it one of the tankiest classes in the game :)
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resistances are not the reason for the "tank meta." Sword and board is about 80% of the reason, and cross healing being too strong is the other 20%.

S/B blocking needs to be added to battlespirit. Not only does it massively buff block mitigation, but it also reduces the cost too much.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not surprised by tanky meta, since everything that was meant to counter tanks (Werewolves, bleed dmg mechanics, oblivion dmg, defile, etc.) was vote-nerfed to oblivion.

It is hilarious to see people who previously were bragging about those things and how those were broken, now that those things are gone are like: "We dont have counter to tanks"

This is how blind call for nerfs ends. With broken game balance eco-system... lol ? :joy::D
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not surprised by tanky meta, since everything that was meant to counter tanks (Werewolves, bleed dmg mechanics, oblivion dmg, defile, etc.) was vote-nerfed to oblivion.

It is hilarious to see people who previously were bragging about those things and how those were broken, now that those things are gone are like: "We dont have counter to tanks"

This is how blind call for nerfs ends. With broken game balance eco-system... lol ? :joy::D

Well, those "counters" you mentioned were more damaging to less tanky characters than to the tanks. I am not saying that they weren't good against tanks, but a low resistance to on had definitely more issue in dealing with heavy defile spam (typical of snb setups ironically) and bleeds than a tank with massive healing capacity and resistances against other types of damage.
    ZoS simply doesn't know exactly how to balance the situation here.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just throw debuff to healing done in battle spirit. Something like -15% to healing done. Adjust higher/lower depending on feedback.
  • Expert
    Expert
    ✭✭✭✭
    They need to enlarge the resistance cap just like they did with shield cap. Change my mind
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The answer is to LITERALLY nerf healing. The reason heals were buffed was because dots were also buffed. Now dots are WORSE than what it was before the buff. So the only logical answer is to nerf healing by at least %20-30.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another garbage nerf thread
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

All of these were a lot stronger against non-tanks than tanks. Onslaught is closer but misses the mark as well.
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about healers heal, dps do damage. I heard a decent suggestion on making max stat scale healing and WD/SD scale abilities and both scale heavy/light attacks. Defensive abilities can scale WD/SP or Max stat and health.

I'm sick of fighting a group of 9 healers that just use AoE heals and run the entire fight until ult dumps. Their health barely moves unless you ball group too.

But this late in implementing might *** off a bunch of players, especially on the heels of so much change already.
    Edited by Lokey0024 on November 18, 2019 5:26PM
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iCaliban wrote: »
    Resistances are not the reason for the "tank meta." Sword and board is about 80% of the reason, and cross healing being too strong is the other 20%.

S/B blocking needs to be added to battlespirit. Not only does it massively buff block mitigation, but it also reduces the cost too much.

It would damage 1v1 fighting to much. It's the only option for classes that can't kite. Imo closer to 90% cross healing with almost no access/weak defile mechanics. Blocking chews Stam fast, it has to be built into, sacrificing damage/regen of primary focus stats.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if you go over ZOS recent changes, this is exactly the theme they are going with.
    Protective trait has been nerfed from 1844 to 1190 last patch
    Fortified Brass has bee nefed this patch to be in line with the value of 3 protective traits(3460 ).
    Proceeding with the same mathematical logic , they should also nerf tons of other stuff(defensive sets/race passives etc...) to maintain consistency.

For example - Nord bonus resistances is now > Fortified Brass 5 bonus and the value of 3 protective traits. This is a "rule breaker" if you compare it directly to other races and the way races were balanced.

Not sure how they will proceed, but it is funny how they put a lot of effort in standardize values in the game, just mess up their work a patch after.

But Based on the description of your observations, resistances are probably the last offender.
    resistances are in a good spot ATM if you ask me , if anything they should revoke the changes to 'Fortified Brass', it doesn't make any scene if you leave the rest of the values as is.

The obvious first offender is the way heals scale in this game.
    If SP/WP / max stats sets can do the same damage as a pen set and also boost your heals, it is obviously an issue. A glass cannon in ESO is also the strongest healer. It is a strange design. There is also the crit problem, offensive crits in pvp are basically 28% weaker due to the impen armor trait(which is a basically almost a free stat). Heals on the other hand get the full benefit critical healing, this is a massive discrepancy between damage and healing potential.

Second offender is dots vs block topic.
    When donts are weak, burst is king. burst is weak vs prema block builds.

• Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about heals would only apply to the caster in PVP... That would take care of the unkillable ball groups spamming heals and healing each other.
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lokey0024 wrote: »

It would damage 1v1 fighting to much. It's the only option for classes that can't kite. Imo closer to 90% cross healing with almost no access/weak defile mechanics. Blocking chews Stam fast, it has to be built into, sacrificing damage/regen of primary focus stats.

No not really. Every single class in the game has access to speed now due to race against time and quick cloak/roll dodge with bow or mistform.

I am not saying S/B should be gutted, simply that the blame for the tank meta lies squarely with that weapon set. Ive seen single players tank multiple opponents in no cp bgs and nearly always they have s/b equipped.

Off healing and self heals are not too strong unless stacked with s/b.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abyssmol wrote: »
    How about heals would only apply to the caster in PVP... That would take care of the unkillable ball groups spamming heals and healing each other.

Right, because screw those people who like to play healers.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

why?
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Pretty much this

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Why?

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok, first of all, nerfing block is not going to solve any issue since there are classes that live on blocking dmg, Do you want to nerf it? Ok, then give something to those classes to compensate.

Healing should be tuned down a little. It is way too strong and there are a lot sources that increase healing done and healing received/taken. But more important than that, it is the use of defile. It was a good debuff, quite useful, BUT it was too easy to get over 50% through CP. The biggest offender wasnt' defile, the biggest offender was the befoul star on CP.

The solution was quite simple but instead of that, ZoS tried to reinvent the wheel (as they have done it once and again during the last 5 years) and now we have one of the most boring patches ever.

While healing + block/purge is a great combo to negate dmg, DoT + defile is not a good combo to counter that.

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When people say people are too tanky are they talking about small scale?

Ult dumps/assisting has been a pvp thing forever, it’s just how group combat works and I don’t think you can get around it.

If the issue is 1v1 someone is too tanky, are you also in a tanky spec? Maybe up your damage. If two people are in tanky specs so can’t kill each other well... working as intended.
    Edited by Iskiab on November 19, 2019 1:50AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That would kill dedicated healing in PvP, so no. There just needs to be a bigger trade off between selfish and selfless healing. The problem right now is cross and off healing being too strong. Group healing options are too strong, even on builds that aren't at all focused on healing (a magicka DPS running Radiating Regen, for instance), which means a group can support themselves by just flooding off heals, without even needing a dedicated healer.

Group heals need to be reduced a bit, while self heals need to remain about as they are (exceptions being adjusted alone, of course). DPS should be able to keep themselves going through a fight, but they should not be able to do that while also keeping the rest of their group going through a fight, while still dealing the same amount of damage they usually do. That's really the problem, not healing itself, not block, not mitigation, but cross and off healing.
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS: buffs heals and dots
    ZoS:nerfs dots only
    OP: nerf heals as well
    Forums: OMG! ThiS iS a NerF tReAd!

Buffed heals needs nerf.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lokey0024 wrote: »
    How about healers heal, dps do damage. I heard a decent suggestion on making max stat scale healing and WD/SD scale abilities and both scale heavy/light attacks. Defensive abilities can scale WD/SP or Max stat and health.

I'm sick of fighting a group of 9 healers that just use AoE heals and run the entire fight until ult dumps. Their health barely moves unless you ball group too.

But this late in implementing might *** off a bunch of players, especially on the heels of so much change already.

Healers healing and DPS doing DPS would just benefit those groups more as they have dedicated healers and bombers. It would kill more rounded builds and we' all have to run a version of a ball group.

Let's face it. The balance changes to address ball groups has just made them switch from 10-12 to a full raid balled up. If there are super strong solid builds, well go find it and use it. if they keep swinging wildly at everything someone considers OP, the worse it gets.

This is why they shouldn't listen to us as much as they do; yet some of their bone head ideas like extreme DOT buffs and DOT nerfs are well outside anything anyone asked for.
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Ok, first of all, nerfing block is not going to solve any issue since there are classes that live on blocking dmg, Do you want to nerf it? Ok, then give something to those classes to compensate.

Healing should be tuned down a little. It is way too strong and there are a lot sources that increase healing done and healing received/taken. But more important than that, it is the use of defile. It was a good debuff, quite useful, BUT it was too easy to get over 50% through CP. The biggest offender wasnt' defile, the biggest offender was the befoul star on CP.

The solution was quite simple but instead of that, ZoS tried to reinvent the wheel (as they have done it once and again during the last 5 years) and now we have one of the most boring patches ever.

While healing + block/purge is a great combo to negate dmg, DoT + defile is not a good combo to counter that.

No class "lives and dies" by s/b. S/b is a crutch abused by many players in pvp.

I am not calling for it to be gutted, simply have some of the overwhelming defensive power it provides reduced. When combined with HOTS, and block casted burst heals, a s/b user is all but unkillable even if they are in mulitple damage sets. Ive seen good players tank entire teams in BGs far longer than they should using it.

In terms of sheer performance, no weapon line gives as much raw value in pvp as s/b.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think S&B’s fine really. I don’t run any S&B builds but someone should be able to make themselves tanky, I think that’s where I disagree with other players.

When S&B had defile and a great stun yea it was out of line because it could be used offensively.

I don’t really get the tanky complaints. If someone wants to be tanky then why not let them? As long as they aren’t offensive powerhouses seems balanced.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want clarification before I continue.

You are concerned that the amount of healing is overtuned, so we should nerf resistances?
    Edited by DocFrost72 on November 19, 2019 2:57PM
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much easier solution: connect tankyness to movement speed. The tankier a character becomes, the slower he moves. ALWAYS. While walking, while running, while mistforming around a rock. Make it DECIDEDLY slower, not just 1%.
    (I would be willing to overlook riding, though.)

As soon as tankyness has a real price, ppl will start thinking whether they prefer being hard to kill to being hard to catch and builds will start normalizing.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The answer is to LITERALLY nerf healing. The reason heals were buffed was because dots were also buffed. Now dots are WORSE than what it was before the buff. So the only logical answer is to nerf healing by at least %20-30.

Remember to say "HoTs" and not healing.

It won't matter anyway when HoTs will continue to be overtuned even after nerfs as long as you get more in than damage in, and thanks to a certain staff and DW combination that is possible on every build in the game and will continue to do so.

There's so many ways to either reduce, negate, or absorb damage and heal that a flat nerf will do nothing but nerf some specs, leave others untouched, make balance worse and then we'll see more crying in the forums when said specs all run to full damage builds.