The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

CTD more than once an hour

MasterShadow
MasterShadow
Soul Shriven
So, I'm crashing to desktop a little bit more than once an hour. I'm not doing anything special. I can be talking to an NPC, leveling up, fighting a monster or even just walking down some stairs or standing around. The game blows up for no obvious reason and I CTD.

I doubt it's my computer specs as I can more than handle the game on ultra using a fraction of my CPU/Ram. I've listed a bit of my DxDiag below. If you need the whole thing, I'll be happy to provide it.

So far this has been the single worst MMO launch since before Rift came along and showed us it can be done right.

DxDiag snippet

Time of this report: 3/30/2014, 12:58:03
Machine name: PAININTHEASS
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/10/12 11:21:32 Ver: 13.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16360MB RAM
Page File: 3530MB used, 29186MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Display Devices
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 690
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1188&SUBSYS_26903842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4042 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: SAMSUNG
Monitor Id: SAM0390
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1407 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.1407
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 2/9/2013 23:25:27, 17987192 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-52C8-11CF-8D5E-9D061CC2C435}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x1188
SubSys ID: 0x26903842
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Driver Strong Name: oem51.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section084:9.18.13.1407:pci\ven_10de&dev_1188
Rank Of Driver: 00E02001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
Deinterlace Caps: .......

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 690
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1188&SUBSYS_26903842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4042 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: SyncMaster 226BW(Digital)
Monitor Model: SyncMaster
Monitor Id: SAM027F
Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.883Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1407 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.1407
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 2/9/2013 23:25:27, 17987192 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-52C8-11CF-8D5E-9D061CC2C435}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x1188
SubSys ID: 0x26903842
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Driver Strong Name: oem51.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section084:9.18.13.1407:pci\ven_10de&dev_1188
Rank Of Driver: 00E02001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
Deinterlace Caps:.........

• Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as you aren't getting a BSOD, and it's just the game that's closing, yes it's a problem with the game. I had the beta crash on me once (2 betas ago), but it was a one-time thing. I haven't been able to play today yet (and won't be able to until I get home from work tonight).

That said, technically the game isn't live yet, this is just the early access period. I expect that there will be some patches and bug fixes before it goes live on Friday.
    Edited by Saerydoth on March 30, 2014 5:22PM
  • ZOS_RobertM
    ZOS_RobertM
    ✭✭
    Looking at the piece of DxDiag posted, the first thing I would recommend is updating your drivers.

They look to be out of date and could be the cause of your issue. Your driver date is 2/9/2013 and the latest stable release was 3/10/2014.

Since you are using an Nvidia card you can update to the latest drivers here:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers
    Staff Post
  • MasterShadow
    MasterShadow
    Soul Shriven
    Updating the drivers worked for a while but now tonight I'm back to the random crashes for no reason. It's getting progressively worse but started with the server maint today.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having kind of the same issues. I made a post about it last night. My screen goes black, game is still active as I can hear others running by or me getting killed since I can't see anything. I have to alt tab out then log back in. After making the changes support suggested last night my screen goes black, then I CTD which is new. Everything is up to date. I searched the ESO forums and others are having the same issues. The one thing in common is everyone has NVIDIA cards...
    Edited by Seravi on April 2, 2014 5:55AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Hey everyone,

We would like to recommend anyone having crashing issues in game to try some of the following troubleshooting which may help with the issue.

1. Run the game as an administrator
    • Right click the ESO launcher icon
    • Click Run as Administrator

2. Launch the game in compatibility mode
    • Right click the ESO launcher icon
    • Select properties
    • Choose Windows 7 or Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode

3. Disable start up items on the computer
    • Click on the start button
    • In the search box type in MSCONFIG and hit enter
    • Choose the general tab in the system configuration utility
    • Choose selective start up and uncheck "Load startup items"
    • Click OK and you'll be prompted to restart the machine

4. Make the following change to the Usersettings.txt file
    • Go to your "My Documents/The Elder Scrolls Online" folder and open the folder in there called "Live."
    • Check to see if there is a file called "UserSettings.txt" in there.
    • Locate the line "SET RequestedNumThreads "X" change the X from whatever number it may be to 0.

We also recommend checking the thread linked below for possible known issues with certain graphic cards and laptop setups.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61626/please-read-first-known-technical-issues-pc#latest

You may need to contact our support team to set up a ticket so further information can be gathered about your system. Support can be reached at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Lovreone
    Lovreone
    ✭✭
    @Seravi‌
    @Anyone having black screen issues (but hearing the sounds in the background)

I also have Nvidia graphics, and was having the same issue during beta. This worked for me back in beta (Black screen only), and keeps working even now:

Try editing this file C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt . Change the line from "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"" to "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9""

Still having the CTD issues in PVP though
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried that and after I log in the file gets changed back to D3D11. :( I verified this twice last night. Changed it, saved it, logged in, played, crashed, alt tab out and checked the file and it was back to D3D11. My game is installed on D but there is a folder under my user profile and that is where this file resides. Going to force it to be read only and try it again when the server is back up to see if that does any good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because this game is becoming unplayable for me. I know my system can handle this game without question. They had me regenerate the ShaderCache.cooked file and force max/high performance settings on the game through my video card which did nothing to resolve the issue either.

I did some research last night and found other posts in other forums on the net AND several on these forums. The one thing all of us have in common is we are using NVIDA cards.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    Logitech G510 keyboard and G700s mouse
    System and drivers are up to date so that is not an issue. I have one TB drive for C and one TB drive for D so space is not an issue. This is a fresh install system with nothing but three games on it, ESO is one of them. The others are Skyrim and Oblivion.
    Edited by Seravi on April 2, 2014 11:04AM
  • tokyov
    tokyov
    ✭✭
    Lovreone wrote: »
    @Seravi‌
    @Anyone having black screen issues (but hearing the sounds in the background)

I also have Nvidia graphics, and was having the same issue during beta. This worked for me back in beta (Black screen only), and keeps working even now:

Try editing this file C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt . Change the line from "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"" to "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9""

Still having the CTD issues in PVP though

this didnt work for me :( anything else?
  • rdfarley89
    rdfarley89
    ✭✭✭
    Havent had a single issue other than being disappointed that the game does not take advantage of CrossfireX. ZOS, please implement CrossfireX support so this amazing game uses all my computer's resources.
  • Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    this random crashing is beyond frustrating.
    why won't devs respond or at least acknowledge this issue?!
  • iliev.rumenb16_ESO
    Died a few times because the screen goes balck and the game keeps running.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61626/please-read-first-known-technical-issues-pc#latest

I can't access this post because I don't have permission.

I have Nvidia Geforce GT750M with the latest drivers.

Please fix this ASAP it is getting out of hand. Having to restart every 10 or 15 minutes in the middle of quests is really frustrating especially for a product with a monthly subscription. A known issue on a P2P game and as I see people are still getting it since March 2014? Are you serious? This is not fixed for a year ... ???? No wonder people don't want to play this game ...